NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Gas Type - Leaded / Unleaded

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
Author
adamt View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adamt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-14-2008 at 6:59pm
So whats the bottom line on the Leaded/nonleaded gas question!? I picked up a 1973 Skier last summer and am "mechanically challenged" to say the least!!! Should I use lead substitute when I fill the 73 up!?!?
-Adam

1973 Skier
gn6027 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gn6027 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-14-2008 at 8:02pm
IMO, YES!!
adamt View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adamt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-14-2008 at 8:31pm
Originally posted by gn6027 gn6027 wrote:

IMO, YES!!

Did you miss the "mechanically challenged" part!!! IMO?!?!?
-Adam

1973 Skier
gn6027 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gn6027 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-14-2008 at 9:38pm
Adam,
No, I didn't miss the "mechanically challenged" part. To help prevent the need to do any mechanical work on your engine, the lead substitute should be added to prevent damage. It keeps the valve seats lubricated in the heads.

I figured adding a bottle of lead sub to each tank a gas is as easy as it gets.

To directly answer, yes, add the lead substitue to your '73 when you fill it up.

Prevention is the key to keep our vintage boats running and serving us faithfully.

I add it to mine, and will continue to do so.

Post some pics of your '73. We'd love to see it!!

Glen

(In case you didn't realize, IMO = In My Opinion)
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-14-2008 at 10:48pm
when all done and said, where is the final resting place for the lead additive?
"the things you own will start to own you"
Chopper View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-14-2008 at 10:58pm
Originally posted by eric lavine eric lavine wrote:

where is the final resting place for the lead additive?

In our atmosphere
adamt View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adamt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-15-2008 at 4:25am
Originally posted by gn6027 gn6027 wrote:

(In case you didn't realize, IMO = In My Opinion)

Glen, thanks for the info. IMO...is that some sort of blackberry thing...man I'm getting old!!!
But I did go to the Van Halen concert tonight...made me feel young again...at least for a couple of hours?!?!
Posted a pic of the 73 in the dairy section today, just needs Keith's approval to go through
-Adam

1973 Skier
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-15-2008 at 7:18am
Two yes's and three no's felling it's a waste of money. There are other threads with the same results. I'm one of the no's. I'm getting up in age and I don't believe what it says on the Geritol bottle ether!

A comment was made about "keeping our vintage boats running". I feel that with my background primarily with old wood boats and my ACBS connection going back 31 years, that I'm very familiar with the loss of leaded gas. There is no "substitute" for lead! Run it, save the money and when it needs a top end job have it done with the parts needed for the unleaded.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-15-2008 at 10:20am
Chopper, besides the air it ends up in the water
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-15-2008 at 12:13pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Two yes's and three no's felling it's a waste of money. There are other threads with the same results. I'm one of the no's. I'm getting up in age and I don't believe what it says on the Geritol bottle ether!

A comment was made about "keeping our vintage boats running". I feel that with my background primarily with old wood boats and my ACBS connection going back 31 years, that I'm very familiar with the loss of leaded gas. There is no "substitute" for lead! Run it, save the money and when it needs a top end job have it done with the parts needed for the unleaded.

We added the lead substitute to our '88. Based on Pete's comments, I will not be using it on any of my older boats. Ill put the money towards an eventual valve job instead.
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-15-2008 at 3:34pm
Originally posted by Chopper Chopper wrote:

Originally posted by eric lavine eric lavine wrote:

where is the final resting place for the lead additive?

In our atmosphere

wrong answer, it's in the lake water now more than it is in the air. And what ever does get in the air will eventually find it's way to the water.
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-15-2008 at 3:39pm
So then the correct answer in NO NO NO NO.

No it makes no differnce to the Motor if it's there or not.

No it is not Envormently friendly that's why it's baned.

No we do not need it in the water supply because of the proven scientific facts it cause birth defects and brain damage and several other harmfull side effects.

SO AGAIN THE CORRECT ANSWER IS NO LEAVE THE LEAD SUBSITUTE OUT OF YOUR TANK.
adamt View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adamt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-15-2008 at 6:51pm
Originally posted by 79nautique 79nautique wrote:

No it is not Envormently friendly that's why it's baned. LEAVE THE LEAD SUBSITUTE OUT OF YOUR TANK.

Yet it's readily available on store shelves everywhere!?! How can Al Gore allow this to continue?!?!
-Adam

1973 Skier
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-15-2008 at 7:06pm
he has stock in the company....
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-15-2008 at 10:39pm
Originally posted by adamt adamt wrote:

How can Al Gore allow this to continue?!?!

Owl Gore?!!? How can we take him seriously when he's busy promoting himself? Ice cores from way back show that warming occurs just before an ice age! I'll keep a place down here in georgia for yall to park your snow bikes!   LOL
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
Brktracer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brktracer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-16-2008 at 12:20am
The substitutes are probably like picking a brand of oil, everyone has an opintion. I've had good luck with older (1970) heads without hardened seats and unleaded. Verified the seats were still in great condition after lots of use.

adamt View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adamt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-17-2008 at 12:35am
I don't believe that type of language is allowed, I remembering reading that Keith said to be nice
I'm sorry that your efforts to get it removed from the store shelves has failed, but don't take your frustrations out on us.
-Adam

1973 Skier
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
  Share Topic