NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Prestolite Points

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
Author
lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-14-2008 at 8:42am
91nautique thanks for the info. Those HEI's on ebay are unbelievably priced must be made in China. Do you know what the quality is like?

If you're going through hell, keep going

89 Ski

<a href="http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5685" ta
91nautique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 91nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-14-2008 at 8:58am

Ive used one in a car, it's fine and it will get you up and running, and at that price its got to be a better option than an old points dist.

Track down the one with built in coil and without vac advance

91nautique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 91nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-16-2008 at 9:07pm
Lewy

If you still want to go with replacing the points (hopefully not) the part no from the dist cap off the mid eighties 302 w I have lying around is

Stamped "Mercury Marine"-- PN 3934988

The cap looks like a standard automotive one,the dist looks standard -apart from the lack of the vac advance unit.
Lorenr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lorenr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-18-2008 at 9:43pm
I guess I've done my share of points and condenser installations. Some guidelines might help.

The only condensers that I've ever had go bad were new ones and sometimes they didn't go bad for a couple of months. Save the old ones in a bag. You'll be glad you did.

Points can be examined, filed flat to slightly rounded (remember the electrons want a good place to jump across) and readjusted. Use a dwell meter especially on a Prestolite distributer. Feeler gauges are for the very talented. Thats NOT me.

Use the correct rotor and cap but if you can get them with brass contacts. They will last a long time if you do. Save the old ones if they are in good shape.

The quality of this stuff is not as good as it used to be, which is why I buy Echlin parts, usually from NAPA. The quality and reputation are pretty good. Often on friends boats, I simply examine the points to see that contact material is adequate, examine the rotor and cap for wear or shavings, reset the dwell, set the timing and they never have a problem.

If you use your boat a lot and hopefully you do, Maybe do this once a year. Dwell meters and timing lights are well worth owning.

Lorenr
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-19-2008 at 7:22am
Originally posted by 91nautique 91nautique wrote:

If you still want to go with replacing the points (hopefully not)

I get the impression that you feel a point system is high maintenance and should be converted. What is your experience with points? Years and or hours between servicing?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Brktracer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brktracer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-19-2008 at 1:05pm
I picked up a brand new Prestolite marine distributor on ebay recently for less than $50. It was for a 429/460 so I had to change the gear.

I am using an MSD 6AL which will work well with points also. The new distributor yielded no improvement using the MSD on both.

I ran the MSD with points for years. With this set up there is no need to set dwell. As long as the points open and close it works perfectly.

I didn't read all the posts here and someone probably mentioned already: You can use points for a small block mopar in the Prestolite distributor. I think you'll have to change the spring with the original points but the sb mopar points will work.

Matt
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-22-2008 at 5:08pm
Originally posted by SNobsessed SNobsessed wrote:

You guys win!

The condenser can be jury rigged by breaking the bracket off (it is spot welded on) & using a different bkt. I myself am going to get the right part.

My original point was there are 2 different condensers in SkiDims kits & I proved that.

Tim - you are on, but no fair breaking the bracket off.

I will PM you for shipping address.

OK, verdict is in... and I win.

I didnt actually install the condensor in my dist- I simply popped the bracket off, rotated the condensor, and popped it back on. No disassembly required to prove this point- its the same conendsor for all Prestolite dizzy's.

I agree that its easier to install in this orientation- but its not 100% necessary. Look closely at the way my current condensor is mounted- it has a slight twist in the copper cable.

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-22-2008 at 6:03pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Chris,
I did a tune up on my 4 cyl. Mercruiser last summer and the condenser didn't even come with a bracket. Trying to remove the old one to use, I too thought it was welded on and even looked for spot weld marks! Some work was need to R&R it.

The 3 marks on the bracket are not spot welds. Look real close and you'll see they a "half punches" creating dimples on the inside to keep the condenser from rotating - but, the bracket is tight!!! I don't know why they need the dimples!!

BTW, a half punch in the metal stamping industry is basically a regular punch that doesn't go all the way through the piece part when the press closes. Depending on the size difference between the punch (male) and the die (female) it will produce the dimple like the condenser bracket or a "knockout" like you find in a electric box.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-22-2008 at 8:16pm
Thanks for setting me straight Tim. I admit when I am wrong. Funny how you can convince yourself you're right & shut out opposing information until you crash with reality.

I wonder if that is the explanation at the Federal Reserve.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-27-2008 at 7:43am
Thanks for everyone's help on tracking down equivalent part numbers. The Bosch GA-94V were the correct points.

I fitted them and adjusted gap to 18 thou. The dwell meter still said only 20 degrees.
I then opened gap slowly to achieve the minimum dwell of 29 degrees. It turned out to be 25 thou gap.

I adjusted timing to 10 degrees it runs & idles fine but when I rev it over 3000rpm even with no load it runs rough. I then returned gap to 18 thou and the engine revs fine now.

After sitting around and thinking what else could be wrong to cause the low dwell angle reading. I decided that if dwell angle is the amount of time the points are closed measured in degrees. Then decreasing the points gap should increase dwell and I was going the wrong way? But then why was the dwell angle increasing while I was opening gap?

Getting a bit rusty on the old points setup. My last boat had a 350 SBC with the little window in the cap to adjust points while motor was running. Not sure if it was increasing or decreasing gap to get the required dwell angle.

Will try closing gap tomorrow and see what happens. Anyone have any further ideas as what may be the cause of low dwell reading? Could it be the condensor?

89 Ski

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-27-2008 at 10:13am
Lewy,
I don't think it's the condenser. It's in there to absorb the DC current when the points open keeping the arc to a minimum and preventing the contacts (points) from getting fried. Typically a bad condenser is shorted to it's case which will shunt current to ground. This will have the effect of the points never opening allowing the saturated coil to discharge the high tension current to the plugs. If the condenser is open, then the points fry.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-29-2008 at 9:53am
Today I closed the gap up and the dwell angle decreased. So I was going the correct way originally.

Returned gap to 18 thou (20 degrees). I even tried a condensor just to rule it out with no change in dwell.

I checked points gap at every lobe of distributor points cam they were the same. Running out of ideas as to cause of low dwell angle.

Will water test with this setting and see what happens.

89 Ski

SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-29-2008 at 1:36pm
Lewy - I set my points at .018 & then just checked the timing (which was spot on). I don't have a dwell meter, so ignorance must be bliss. She runs great!

“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-22-2008 at 8:16pm
Had forgotten to post final outcome of this thread.

Yes with points set at 18 thou the boat runs fine. So in my case I have decided to join the ignorant.

Will leave dwell meter in the tool chest.

89 Ski

Chopper View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-08-2009 at 2:11am
Originally posted by lewy2001 lewy2001 wrote:

Yep the Echlin number worked CS-720A cross referenced to a Bosch GA-94V.

It was stated that they were for Dodge Cars & Trucks, Chrysler cars and Hudson. Not sure of what year & model though.

Lewy,
Are the points from a Valiant.? I think they are the ones I purchased also. My rotor button matches that of a 50's dodge truck.!
lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-08-2009 at 7:59am
Originally posted by lewy2001 lewy2001 wrote:

Managed to delve through a few more ignition books at my mates auto store.

Keno you were close:-

Chrysler New Yorker 58-62
Dodge Imperial 58-60
Dodge 65-67 383,413,426
Dodge Truck 58-60
Hudson 56-58

When you tell the auto store employee it is for a boat with a 351W in it you get a blank look at the best.

All they want to know is what car it is out of and what year.

Chopper maybe some early Aussie Valiants (US translation is Dodge/Chrysler) used similiar ignition systems as their US counterparts probably the 225ci slant six motor.

89 Ski

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
  Share Topic