NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Torque & HP Open Discussion

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 34567 8>
Author
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-19-2009 at 5:53pm
it's a lot harder than that, I'm sure he well speak up and clue you in shortly.
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-19-2009 at 6:26pm
Originally posted by wakeboardin2k4 wakeboardin2k4 wrote:

Another question I have is can anyone clear this question up for me?

I was told by a teacher that PCMs 454 had a cam gear/crank gear instead of a timing chain. Which would mean although its a counter rotation motor it has a std rotation cam?

Which would mean having a custom cam made to follow the bizarre pcm firing order and crank setup wouldn't be that hard to achieve?

Just trying to learn from the masters of boat hp building

You'll find some discussion on this in a thread called 'buffalo's first bowtie'.

The PCM 454 is gear driven and not the 'noisey gear'(4 gear system). Your chices will be the PCM cam(not many left) or a melling cam that is very similar. I researched a custom grind and found it to be around $2500.

Start a thread and we'll see who chimes in. This is one topic that is not so well covered as some others!

Edit-I did have a guy e-mail me from my diary listing who knows a bit about this...speak to us Jim!

1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
wakeboardin2k4 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wakeboardin2k4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-19-2009 at 6:34pm
Is the cam/crank connection is on 351w a different set up (pardon my ignorance, I know nothing of a SBF except the 5.4l SOHC motor) than the 454? Basically does the 351w have a cam gear?

Just trying to figure out how people are getting cams from Cam Research for 250 for a counter rotation motor.

For 2500 ill start a 496 std rotation build (which is ultimately the long term goal a few years down the line)
"I'm planning to bring my girl that rides on a trailer with me and leave my girl that complains about camping at home"
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-19-2009 at 6:35pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Alan,
Don't be so modest! You're one of the sites best "Hop up heads"

Not bad I guess for Hammer and Chisel Guy right?
You can’t change the wind but you can adjust your sails
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-19-2009 at 6:43pm
Originally posted by 81nautique 81nautique wrote:

Not bad I guess for Hammer and Chisel Guy right?

Huh? I thought you were a plate glass bender?!!?   
1988 BFN-sold

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-19-2009 at 6:47pm

For 2500 ill start a 496 std rotation build (which is ultimately the long term goal a few years down the line)

Ha, that gets you into a whole new discussion!

And yes, I think the 351's used a chain. There's some good info here on the search engine...lots on the 351.
1988 BFN-sold

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wakeboardin2k4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-19-2009 at 6:51pm
ya I've searched for the 454 and came up with your thread about your bowtie. I read most of it. A lot of good info. It was A LOT of reading if my memory serves me correctly.

I can't understand pcms whole thought process on a counter rotating motor.

"I'm planning to bring my girl that rides on a trailer with me and leave my girl that complains about camping at home"
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-19-2009 at 7:14pm

I can't understand pcms whole thought process on a counter rotating motor.

The counter rotation has to do with the driver's seat and weight compensation. I can say from personal experience that the boat will twist according to the rotation(that's with my engine not right yet!).

Start a thread so we don't step on Alan's toes.
1988 BFN-sold

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-19-2009 at 7:24pm
RH Fords (302 and 351w) do use chains. Everything rotates backwards except for the distributor- the gear is cut opposite to accomodate this.

If you read Buffalo's thread closely then youll notice that a 454 RH and LH cam are not the same even though they rotate in the same direction, as the firing order is very different (obviously).

Greg, that $2500 quote was for a custom ground reverse rotation ROLLER cam, correct? I believe that is the cause of the high $$$ amount, as Im guessing that no blanks currently exist for a roller RH BBC (just like nothing like that exists for a RH SBF). I have not called Comp or Crane to verify, but I am almost positive that you can get an off-the-shelf reverse rotation flat tappet 454 cam for a reasonable price. In the little research Ive done, I believe they all used the gear drive like the PCM. If the off-the-shelf RH FT cams exist, then the blanks exist... so a RH custom grind shouldnt be too tall an order.

The RH props that these boats turn are a thing of beauty. Whether you use a LH engine and the 1.23:1 tranny to reverse the direction or you build a RH engine in front of a 1:1, I think preserving the RH prop is important for the handling of these boats. The narrower boats are pretty weight sensitive, and all DD boats from the 2001 forward had their hulls designed with a RH prop in mind.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-19-2009 at 8:36pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Greg, that $2500 quote was for a custom ground reverse rotation ROLLER cam, correct?

Correct, it was for a roller.

I am almost positive that you can get an off-the-shelf reverse rotation flat tappet 454 cam for a reasonable price.

Yes, the melling...not much else out there that I have found that suits our needs. Pro street/track (<--read high rpm's and lopey idle) are plentiful. I didn't price RR FT custom grinds. I bet there's been a few made though with the offshore crowd.

In the little research I've done, I believe they all used the gear drive like the PCM.

Does 'all' mean 454's or boat engines? I think most BB's are chain driven(summit doesn't sell my setup), but I don't know enough to set you straight.

I'll bet the few 425's that we already know were LH'd were chain driven or we'd have heard. I have to also guess that the hull compensated for this...maybe not a separate mold but a different scallop in the rear?

I know we have at least 1 guy here familiar with the 425...the info might be in my old thead; terrible when the memory starts to go but I'll check! LOL

1988 BFN-sold

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-19-2009 at 8:44pm
Originally posted by BuffaloBFN BuffaloBFN wrote:

I am almost positive that you can get an off-the-shelf reverse rotation flat tappet 454 cam for a reasonable price.

Yes, the melling...not much else out there that I have found that suits our needs. Pro street/track (<--read high rpm's and lopey idle) are plentiful. I didn't price RR FT custom grinds. I bet there's been a few made though with the offshore crowd.

In the little research I've done, I believe they all used the gear drive like the PCM.

Does 'all' mean 454's or boat engines? I think most BB's are chain driven(summit doesn't sell my setup), but I don't know enough to set you straight.

Greg, I meant that all RH BBC's used the gear drive. I havent heard of a RH that used the chain. I presume that all automotive (LH) set ups used the regular chain, though.

Did you ever find yourself a BBC cam expert? I have no idea what types of specs would be ideal for our application. Im aware that you dont want to go too extreme- but Im guessing you can be quite a bit more aggressive than the stock bumpstick... at least that was the case on my SBF with no ill effects. If comp sells the RH cam, then they can sell the blank. Whether you have them grind it or another shop handle that, it should be possible. I doubt its too expensive so long as you stay with flat tappet.
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-19-2009 at 9:07pm

Did you ever find yourself a BBC cam expert? .

How about a marine BBC cam expert
The offshore guys rave about Bob Madera at Marine Kinetics, 586-654-8583.
MarineKinetics@rochester.rr.com

Don't know if he can do you a reverse or not but I bet he might know if it can be done.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wakeboardin2k4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-20-2009 at 1:05am
I emailed him about if he knows about BBC cams for counter rotation motors.
Brktracer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brktracer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-21-2009 at 10:59pm
Originally posted by 81nautique 81nautique wrote:

Originally posted by Brktracer Brktracer wrote:

Did anyone ever cut open a PCM exhaust riser?

Don't think there are any spare ones around, they don't rust out like the manifolds do.

Darn. When I restored my boat I bought the kit from Osco and threw the PCM risers in the scrap metal bin at work. I wish I had one back now!
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wakeboardin2k4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-23-2009 at 10:29pm
General question related to torque...does anyone know if the python 502 or used rectangular or oval intake ports?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-19-2009 at 7:04pm
Well it's been a very slow winter for me boat wise, like many of us work is the priority and it's eaten up my spare time. I'll never get to the manifold flow testing but have made progress port matching the HM manifolds and the new intake.

One thing I really wanted to get accomplished was to make an adapter so I could install an air/fuel sensor to plug into an Innovate Products wide band controller so when I get the top end of the motor put together I can do some real tuning.

After a few trips to my buddies machine shop during lunch hours we came up with this. Should do the trick, it is intended to mount between the manifold and riser. This particular one will fit the PCM Manifolds as thats the exhaust that going back on the boat until I finish working on the HM's. I hope to have them on before Green Lake for the bling factor.

Once I switch over to the Hm manifolds I would make this and the controller available to anyone with a PCM setup that wanted to tune their boat.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-19-2009 at 7:09pm
Here's a link to the controller I'm using. I think this is the same one Matt mentioned he has.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-18-2009 at 8:46pm
Fired up the 81 today, started right up and sounds pretty good. Wasn't able to tune it much as I still need to finish the exhaust system and I'm trouble shooting why my exhaust hoses are getting so much hotter than the manifolds. Strange issue is the mainfolds are running at less than 100 degrees but the hoses are about 220, hot enough where I could smell them. The motor itself is runnign at 140 so it's not over heating, just the hoses are hot and plenty of water out the exhaust.

Anyway here's a few pict of the progress.

SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-18-2009 at 9:28pm
Alan - Your engine is a work of art!
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-18-2009 at 11:03pm
Originally posted by SNobsessed SNobsessed wrote:

Alan - Your engine is a work of art!

its a dali...
good work there...
<a href="">1992 ski nautique
Luchog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luchog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-18-2009 at 11:11pm
I had that rubber smell/smoke when I replaced the hose after my manifold repair. It was gone after a few outings.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-18-2009 at 11:29pm
Originally posted by Luchog Luchog wrote:

I had that rubber smell/smoke when I replaced the hose after my manifold repair. It was gone after a few outings.

Actually if you look closely at the last photo you'll see that the exhaust hose is at a bad angle to the elbow outlet, I think I simply have a hot spot on the top on the hose because things aren't lined up correctly. I planned to replace the corrugated hose anyway but just haven't gotten to it yet.

I also made an adapter for the A/F sensor to fit the Edelbrocks, (nice having friends with an EDM machine)you can see it with a temporary plug on the starboard side. Hopefully once I get the cooling issue solved I can see how that works.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-19-2009 at 7:01pm
Pulled the water feed to the elbow and started the engine briefly, plenty of water out the hose. Then pulled the elbow itself and hooked it up to the tap.

From the side it appears plenty of water right?

But looking from the rear you can see how the water circulates around and dumps out the bottom only.

The hose was quite a bit hotter on the top than the bottom and this photo confirms my thoughts. I believe I'm just going to have a stainless steel 3" elbow made to go from the manifold elbow all the way back to the mufflers and eliminat as much rubber hose as I can.

Anybody have any thoughts or experience with these manifolds, they are similar in design to commanders and I don't recall hearing of any cooling issues with those. JoeinNY/Trbenj,etc..comments? Thanks
p/allen View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p/allen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-19-2009 at 7:57pm
Can you block off a portion of the bottom part so it will be redirected to the top part of the outlet. Does the hose from the front cool the manifold and dump out the top of it .
Is the inlet you are testing the extra water from the rwp . that doesnt go through the engine ?
Pat
My 72 Skier
Rock River
Dixon,ILL.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-19-2009 at 8:34pm
Originally posted by p/allen p/allen wrote:

Can you block off a portion of the bottom part so it will be redirected to the top part of the outlet. Does the hose from the front cool the manifold and dump out the top of it .
Is the inlet you are testing the extra water from the rwp . that doesnt go through the engine ?

Pat, in this photo you can see where the water comes in the front top of the log, circulates down the length of the manifold then comes out the front bottom and is directed to the elbow via flexible hose and out the exhaust.

Munday View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Munday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-19-2009 at 8:54pm
Some of the old v drive guys had this same problem.The answer they came up with was plumbing both sides of each elbow.Of course they also had alot more space than we do under the doghouse.

Nice job on your motor Allen very well laid out and detailed.Really like your plug wire
routing.

Munday
If the only tool you have is a hammer,everything starts to look like a nail.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-19-2009 at 9:44pm
Alan,
I have to assume that the elbow has only 1 water jacket. How many water ports are there from the jacket into the exhaust? Getting the water into the exhaust through another port I can't imagine would make much of a difference. The exhaust flow should be blasting the water all over in there?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Luchog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luchog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-19-2009 at 10:35pm
I still dont think you'll burn the hose.
lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-19-2009 at 11:45pm
Alan,
In the land downunder we do not seem to use the concept of the rubber hose straight onto the back of the exhaust manifold. Even our very early ski boats used SS S-bends and then the rubber hose after that. Normally the water exit tube is in the S-bends but a bit lower so there is less chance of water misting getting back into the engine.
Even though your US boats were light years ahead of our locally made boats until the last few years. I feel this is one area where our boats were better.

The bends below are just for info the freight costs from AUS would make them uncompetitive. They are mandrel bent so they flow very well.

The alloy log manifold may be a option for some US based wanting log style manifolds. I always planned on going the Hi-tek path in the future but these are very well priced. I will try and get hold of a set and investigate more.

Looking forward to your opinion after the water test. On the performance gains you have achieved with these modifications

S-Bends

Alloy Log Exhaust Manifolds
If you're going through hell, keep going

89 Ski

<a href="http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5685" ta
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-20-2009 at 12:57am
Lewy, I made a template today of the elbows I need and I hope to find someone local that can bend up a set of stainless elbow. I think once I install those I'll be ok, just don't ever recall the hoses getting this hot with teh PCM manifolds. I have s few other options if these don't work out the way I want them to, few more weekends and we'll see.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 34567 8>
  Share Topic