NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Fastest Chrysler?

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123>
Author
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-03-2008 at 12:06am
It can, all you need is some time and a keen attetion to detail,there is a medical term for it too, A.A.D.D ,but it is still cheaper than my drug habit WAS.................boat dr
MaddMarxx View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MaddMarxx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-03-2008 at 12:16am
I did not know there was a such thing as a fast Mopar!
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-03-2008 at 12:39am
To each his own poison....
Kinda like ReidP said, " I outgrew bowties in grammer school"
MOPAR...Them days are gone
FoMoCo...Not the same but close
GM.....Livin in the past
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-03-2008 at 1:11am
Nice boat doc. I think I have a hardcore case of ADD also. Ill get around to speed parts on the boat someday hopefully. Now it just serves as the faithfull work horse.

Heyy now MM thems fighting words ;) Come up to Indiana and Ill show you a few(in cars of course).

Im gettin ready to start a mild top end build up on my lil bros 72 dart swinger 318. Id like to see it in stock 340 range(275ish).

BTW eric H the J and X heads are easy to identify, between ( i think its the rear) two spark plugs there will either be a J or an X cast into the head. Ill have to do some more research on the casting numbers of the newer heads.(ive got a set on a motor our in the garage).
Eric H View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eric H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-03-2008 at 2:06am
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Originally posted by Eric H Eric H wrote:

Just curious on the Water pump deal, I know thats What we run on the track and street ford motors. I just know the 2nd water pump(forgive me for not knowing the proper name) Takes a good bit of force to turn.

CSR among others make a small block water pump

On a dyno we have seen as much as 15 RWHP with the electric units

Eric, Fill me in. I can see the gain at the track were you don't run a alternator to keep the battery charged but you mentioned street fords too. What is the gain there?

Well If your charging system is up to par... They dont draw that many amps! Its like having your head lights on.

Im my Car, The class i run does no allow Electric water pumps but i have put one on just for kicks and i have seen about 1/10th in the 1/8th and 1/4. Any thing that will free up drag will make power. Most cars i race with all have alternators and what not. Its the Class rules to have one.

I would have to say if you car is wired right, you have a good battery or 2. and good working alternator. The amp draw is nothen too kick your your charging system into over drive.

I would venture to say that the water pump would be worth a solid few ponys.
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-03-2008 at 2:18am
What do you race(car) eric?
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-03-2008 at 2:47am
Would it be simpler and less expensive to can the recirc and add a Y pipe init's place and run just the Raw Water. Nahhhh thats too simple, but it sure worked on my motor,
I gained 100 hp , due to parasitic losses, and lost 200 lbs. in cast iron parts i took off......LOL
Not really but I did lose a few pounds from the removal ot the Cast Iron timing cover, ciculating pump, the raw water pum bracket abd the large pulley and belt used to drive it.
The new Timing cover is alum. and the Raw water pump crank driven.I removed 78 lbs and added back 12 quiet a return on my dollar per pound.
The Hi Teks were a weight saver too,2 manfolds with risers=88 lbs
Hi-Teks = 24 lbs, at the price the were not a good return for lbs saved,but they look good.............boat dr
25.00 per pound x 66 lbs.of removed mass, kinda pricey............
Eric H View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eric H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-03-2008 at 2:53am

I race in a the series NMRA

and a class called Factory stock.

here are the basic rules stock lift cam, stock heads(ported), Stock Intake(NO port work), only allowed a .030 over bore. Must be fuel injeced. steel only connecting rods, only flat top piston. Must have power steering, Drag radials and there are weight limits.

My car is a 4.6L sohc, its is 286 CI flat top pistons with 12.7-1 compression. 44cc combustion chambers. cnc ported heads. alot of little tricks Coated Bearings, Coated Pisons, Lighteng stock crank 0 balance. Everything is super light, hollow sem valves pistons are like 330 grams rods like 600 or so. coated wrist pins super low tension rings,(total seal)

its got alot of tricks and alot of money in it.

Makes about 370 to the wheels on a dyno jet. weight is 3125 and i have ran 11.40@119 on drag radials with a stick shift. a real sick shift, H pattern and all that!! i droped like 100 lbs out of the trunk and and put on a few tricks with slicks and clicked off a 11.18@121

its roles pretty good for what im allowed to do.

thats in ohio at National trail race way
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-03-2008 at 7:40am

Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Just curious on the Water pump deal, I know thats What we run on the track and street ford motors. I just know the 2nd water pump(forgive me for not knowing the proper name) Takes a good bit of force to turn.

CSR among others make a small block water pump

On a dyno we have seen as much as 15 RWHP with the electric units

Eric, Fill me in. I can see the gain at the track were you don't run a alternator to keep the battery charged but you mentioned street fords too. What is the gain there?

Well If your charging system is up to par... They dont draw that many amps! Its like having your head lights on.

Im my Car, The class i run does no allow Electric water pumps but i have put one on just for kicks and i have seen about 1/10th in the 1/8th and 1/4. Any thing that will free up drag will make power. Most cars i race with all have alternators and what not. Its the Class rules to have one.

I would have to say if you car is wired right, you have a good battery or 2. and good working alternator. The amp draw is nothen too kick your your charging system into over drive.

I would venture to say that the water pump would be worth a solid few ponys.

Eric, I don't know very much about building up race cars and am going by basic physics and must be missing something. You say that on the dyno that you gained 15 HP without the water pump. To produce 15 HP electricly, you need 746 watts per HP. That means 11,190 watts or 932 amps at 12 volts not even factoring in generating losses! What am I doing wrong?? What power are you freeing up by switching from mechanically driving the pump to electrically driving it? You now have to spin the alternator and you will have extra losses due to alternators not being 100% efficient! I know the 932 amps is unrealistic so maybe the 15 HP is too? A 15 HP pump by the way will move over 600 GPM with a near zero head and suction.

I like your car. Looks like you have fun with it. Now we need to get you off the track and on the water!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-03-2008 at 8:37am
Originally posted by boat dr boat dr wrote:

Would it be simpler and less expensive to can the recirc and add a Y pipe init's place and run just the Raw Water.

Doc, I know you have been a long time Ford fan so to fill you in on the old Chrysler 318, it was set up like most of the early V8's. RWP only. The marinizers had a good idea and did know something about parasitic HP losses but then the "bean counters" got involved!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-03-2008 at 11:03am
That looks like a super fun class to be in eric. It makes you squeeze every bit of hp out any way you can. Thats extremely impressive for stock cams and intake
Bhedbloom View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bhedbloom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-10-2008 at 8:17pm
Has anyone on this site ever run an electric water pump? It seems like it would make a lot of maintenance issues easier. If the electric pumps don't use soft rubber impellers it would eliminate that weak link in the cooling system. Also winterizing should be much easier. It seems like a no brainer to me. Somebody stop me.........What am I missing?
Barry, South Carolina
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-10-2008 at 8:56pm
Barry, do not try to reinvent the wheel.
Motor run, pump run.....
Be it a belt driven or a direct drive off the crank,kinda dummy proof.
Electric motors or pumps driven any other way is just asking for trouble.Good idea about how to winterize but again easier is not always better........Boat dr
Bhedbloom View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bhedbloom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-10-2008 at 9:15pm
Boat Dr,

Good call!

After giving it more thought, I would still have to run an impeller pick-up pump to an electric circulating pump. Too much going on there for me.
Barry, South Carolina
reidp View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reidp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-10-2008 at 9:49pm
I've been lurking but not participating like I should or would like to. I'm so busy at work right now that I've not been able to pull away from time to time like a normally do long enough to partake. But I'm out here! For a neat and simple water system, you should see the speed skiff's set up. It only has an electric pump for cooling at idle. After that, it's force fed and apparently pumps in enough to keep it cool. There's no circulating pump either. A pick-up line comes in from the bottom at the transom and splits in the engine with one going to each head and to each side of the block. Water exits out the other end of the block and into the manifolds. Because this engine wasn't set up to use an alternator either, there are pulleys or belts whatsoever. You just gotta remember to flick on that water pump every time you drop back down to idle.

Phats, just reading back, you mentioned about not using the 318 crank or rods. For a car I'm with you but I believe I was told that the marine 318 crank is a forged steel piece. How can I verify? It also has the reverse rotation nurling in it. In Marshall's 340, we are indeed running the 318 crank.
ReidP
1973 Mustang

phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-11-2008 at 12:05am
Thats cool reid. That makes sense that the marine crank is forged because it takes alot more beating than your run of the mill 318 in grandmas plymouth haha. I dont know how you would verify if its forged or not. There may be a lack of casting lines on the unmachined parts of the crank. 340's are where its at. There is alot of affordable stroker kits out there for the LA small blocks. My 360 is running a cast smog motor crank and It turns 6100 through the traps with no problems and 6500 miles so far. I would assume with the shorter stroke of the 318 the cast crank would preform perfectly well under 6000rpms for extended periods I would say.
reidp View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reidp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-18-2008 at 11:01am
Especially for Phats and any other Mopar enthusiasts: I went with Nautique John to move a boat of his from our whse to another building he stores boats in from time to time, which is co-owned by race driver PJ Jones, son of racing great Parnelli Jones. John is showing me this funny-colored old Mopar which is really clean but doesn't stand out that much, but John said another buddy told him the car is worth a fortune. So I took a closer look inside at the perfect interior and said "what the heck" and raised the hood. And oh my god, it's a '63 Super Stock Plymouth 426 Max Wedge. The picts are from my camera phone so unfortunately they're not the best. It also had side cut-outs on the exhaust and a 4-sp. I could have stared at the 426ci-(415 or 425hp) dual quad engine for days. I immediately thought about Phats (Zach) here. Awesome!

I got into the office and googled a bit to learn more and found this site. The car/engine/exhaust system, etc., was all identical to what's shown on the 7-8 pages of this article.   In the picts, the exh manifold looks like a log style, but they're actually cast iron headers and you're looking at the front cylinder pipe which goes across the top. Page 7 from the article shows them really clear. That's all the tech I have on this, so I'd better get busy on yesterday's work.
http://maxwedge.com/documentation/63ssply/page1.html
ReidP
1973 Mustang

Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-18-2008 at 11:27am
Gorgeous car Reid. When I was a kid, a guy up the street had a green '64 Sport Fury with a small V8. It had bucket seats and a 4 sp, no console, with a big shifter. Those were hot cars. That one is really nice.

I know an old farmer up here that has a 300 Chrysler that has a 413 in it. It has this intake manifold that he says is factory. It puts the carbs to the side, out over the wheel wells.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-18-2008 at 1:04pm
Originally posted by phatsat67 phatsat67 wrote:

Thats cool reid. That makes sense that the marine crank is forged because it takes alot more beating than your run of the mill 318 in grandmas plymouth haha. I dont know how you would verify if its forged or not. There may be a lack of casting lines on the unmachined parts of the crank.

I've tried it a few times and really couldn't get the hang of reading the sparks but here's how you ID the forged or the cast. Pg. 4 has the descriptions and pg. 5 has the pictures of the sparks. The cast will show the "gray cast" spark and the forged will show close to the "alloy" spark. The next page also has the hammer and chisel method.

By the way, someone who has been around lots of cranks, told me you should be able to tell just by looking at it???

Spark testing steel

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-18-2008 at 8:27pm
Oh my reid. Thanks for thinkin of me hahah thats definatly a Zachy mopar:). Nothing like a crossram factory 12 second ride:). Those are amazing cars. We had a beautifull rust free 64 numbers matching 383 4 speed car but couldnt afford to keep it or restore it so we sold her and made a little for another car another day. The next car I plan to build later will be that style of b body either plymouth or dodge in a big block 4 speed. Id like to clone a max wedge but the wedge parts are to $$$$$$$. I dig that salmon color too.

Riley those long ram cars are cool too. That is original and it makes GOBS of low end torque pluss it looks like no other.

Pete I have no clue on the forged Ill try to ask around or maybe look at the non forged crank in my motor outta the car on the stand maybe u can show me a pic of the bolt holes on the rear of the crank maybe they are different I havent a clue.
peter1234 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-18-2008 at 10:16pm
mmmmmmmm donuts
mmmmmmmm cross ram
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-19-2008 at 1:09am
MMMMMmmmm mopar:)
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-19-2008 at 10:33am
if your looking at the crank even if it is forged you will see a line that looks like a parting line but it will be very clean and straight on a forging, on a casting it's going to be wider and very non-uniform in appearance. Also look at the surface texture of the non-machined area's as they will be smooth for a forging and a casting will have an orange peal look to it.

think about it for a minute if it's cast it was done using greensand so that granualler texture gets transfer when it's cast. On a forging it's hamered with a hugh die that has a mirror finish to it.
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-19-2008 at 2:08pm
if you tap it lightly you will also here a distinct difference in the metals
"the things you own will start to own you"
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-19-2008 at 3:41pm
Good observation 79. I knew there had to be an easy to tell because of hammering the forged metal. Ive never actually had a forged crank out of a motor in front although I have 4 forged crank motors in the garage haha.

BTW I always thought it would be totally cool to do a max wedge cross ram setup in a southwind or a wildcat or something of that sort that came with the 413.
peter1234 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-19-2008 at 8:22pm
with chevys you can tell forged / cast from the casting lines maybe with mopar?
peter1234 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-19-2008 at 9:02pm
oops sorry should have read above closer
Brktracer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brktracer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-20-2008 at 1:30am
Super nice cars guys! That Fury is sweet and I'm not a Mopar guy but have turned wrenches plenty on a friends Dart (installed a 440).

Glad to see more racers here!

Here's a couple more pics...

phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-20-2008 at 4:15am
Wheels up baby.

Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-20-2008 at 12:05pm
Originally posted by phatsat67 phatsat67 wrote:

I knew there had to be an easy to tell because of hammering the forged mettle.

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123>
  Share Topic