NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Weeding the Pumpkin patch

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1234 24>
Author
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-07-2008 at 10:24am
oh yes, i have one but it creates to much damn dust..
"the things you own will start to own you"
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-07-2008 at 1:49pm
Originally posted by eric lavine eric lavine wrote:

oh yes, i have one but it creates to much damn dust..

You mean the spiral cut bit? Have you tried the zipmate attachment? I don't see how that would be worse than a skill saw...but I suppose I'm procrastinating anyway?!!?
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-08-2008 at 10:20am
Greg, i needed a nice cut yesterday on a swim platform so i pulled out the roto-zip, within 10 minutes i broke 3 blades, so i had to pull out the skil saw...i itched all night, i did notice the skil saw throws quite a bit of dust. no matter how you attack it your gonna itch. the sawzall definitely keeps the dust down....did you start the floors yet?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-08-2008 at 10:21am
my wife tried sending some pics, i dont know if they made them though, i might have to put them on a CD and mail it to you
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-08-2008 at 10:51am

within 10 minutes i broke 3 blades

3 spiral bits or 3 of the circular saw attachment blades?

did you start the floors yet?

Nope, I ve been out several times to study it and tug on it to see what moves and what doesn't. I'm still not comfortable with the sawzall(don't have one either, but could borrow)...I do have a nice jigsaw I may explore with or I may go to a skilsaw. I was asking about the zip attachment because it's smaller and I hate skilsaws?!!? LOL
1988 BFN-sold

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-08-2008 at 11:42am
on the way to work i was listening to Niel Young and thought for some strange reason that you are a Niel Young fan, the sawzall is probably your best bet, with a 12" fine blade, there is not much against the gunnels,so drill a hole near the sides and the blade of the sawzall will guide itself on the curve of the side of the hull....dont be afraid, once you start you will say this is easy    Eric
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-09-2008 at 10:41am
the laws of Physics always kick in....I did an estimate on a swim platform, it pretty much was cut and dry....remove, repair and re-install. I got it back to the shop and the backing was so rotted i had to split the 2 halves ( they are made like a boat) its a fiberglassing night mare. the only reason i removed it was because 3 brackets were cracked, the mounting holes against the transom had cracks and they needed repaired and painted,
I guareentee any other shop would of made those easier repairs and hung the platform back on and collected the doe...
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-09-2008 at 11:31pm
Well, I thought the krptonite joke would get a rise out of you...and I do like some of what Neil Young has done, especially with CSN&Y. I grew up with the hair bands and got a pretty good taste of the legends as well.

On to 'bidness' and speaking of old music, I cut out the 2 long sides of the floor to see "if there were any cooties in there"?!!?   

I didn't find any 'butta' or field mice, but it is a mess and a fertile ground for other assorted micro-organisms.

Seriously though, the closest thing to dry wood I saw was just forward of the pylon. The foam is not soaked, but it is wet along with all of the wood I've uncovered so far...and there is a lot more wood in this boat than I expected. Some of the wood is clearly rotten and some looks to have some structure left to it...maybe enough for a pattern?!!?

You guys were right about the sawzall..once I jumped in. I'll be spending tomorrow coming up with some boat stands. There's no way I'd find any around here...the dry stacks are full and so are the marina parking lots from the lake being down!

1988 BFN-sold

JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-09-2008 at 11:55pm
My floor comes out tomorrow, I fear the same fate awaits me...
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
Bremsen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bremsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-10-2008 at 12:20pm
Wow, its crazy how different the BF is to the Ski, for being so similar in appearance on the water. It's tough to see in the pics exactly how the stringer system is laid out. Is there foam between the main and secondary stringer?

I wish I was still in the ATL area; I'd definately come up to check this out. Good luck with the project, I'll be following this thread for sure. I'm figuring this will be our winter project for 09.

How's Lanier doing anyway? I know it was probably the hardest hit in the SE. Our lakes have come up a tiny bit, but we're still a long way off from any resemblance of normal.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-10-2008 at 1:18pm
Originally posted by Bremsen Bremsen wrote:

Wow, its crazy how different the BF is to the Ski, for being so similar in appearance on the water. It's tough to see in the pics exactly how the stringer system is laid out. Is there foam between the main and secondary stringer?

Howdy from the south Ryan. It's laid out just about the same as a SN, but it has a good bit more wood in it compared to other pics I've seen; and there is foam in every void above the bilge. This is my first stringer/floor job so I don't have much personal experience to speak from, but I did have a friend in the fiberglass business, so I've seen a few taken down, but I didn't ever see the wood I see in this. I do realize it has to hold the pumpkin above water...but $#@$! LOL

Originally posted by Bremsen Bremsen wrote:

How's Lanier doing anyway? I know it was probably the hardest hit in the SE. Our lakes have come up a tiny bit, but we're still a long way off from any resemblance of normal.

We've had a liitle rain recently, but we're still around 19' down.
1988 BFN-sold

jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-10-2008 at 3:02pm
Well you finally took the leap. Wish I could come up and help too.

I know it looks bad but now you know what you are up against. Bet you wrestle it to the ground and beat it!

As always...keep them pictures coming.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-10-2008 at 6:07pm
Greg, Knowing you, the more wood in the hull the better!

Are you going to re foam?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-10-2008 at 10:20pm
Originally posted by jbear jbear wrote:

Wish I could come up and help too.

Volunteers are most welcome and enjoy the best of sounthern hospitality!
1988 BFN-sold

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-10-2008 at 10:38pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Greg, Knowing you, the more wood in the hull the better!

Any other time I'd have to agree. I'm about to turn 40 though and don't want to have to do this again! I've read about a few materials here including coosa board and another that escapes me now, but the bottom line is that wood will eventually rot in a boat that gets used. Assuming I still have it in 30 years I know the oil will look like it just came out of the bottle...how cool would it be to have that peace of mind on the hull as well?

I do like the 'knowing you' part...thanks.

Are you going to re foam?

So far I'm thinking yes. I think I know how this was done at the factory and I'm thinking of trying to duplicate it. My big decision is on what to use for stringers and other wood parts. There is a literal 'boat load' of wood in this thing and it's all wet and roughly 40-60% soft/rotting, and I haven't decided on my best path yet. I will say that the removable deck in the back will be redesigned. It needs a proper 'seat' so that it doesn't bust up the water barrier to the stringers.

Film at 11
1988 BFN-sold

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-11-2008 at 9:07am
Greg, Here's where I stand on stringers. Keep in mind that they are only my opinions.

I really don't feel that CC (or any boat manufacturer) made a big effort to keep water out of the wood. I've seen bare wood (no glass). Screw holes drilled into the stringers for seats, engine mounts, etc. compromising any water barrier. I know that there isn't a true water barrier when it comes to solid wood but with the best process that wasn't done at the factory will provide at least 3 or 4 times the life.

I'm not yet convinced that a "drop in" composite is available that matches wood. The ones that are as strong as the wood are heavy.
I would stick with some nice clear fir. (no treated)

CPES is a great product that all wood should get a couple coats (end grain 3 or 4!) before it goes in the boat plus any holes drilled later need the CPES injected in them. It has become one of the favorite tools of the wood boat builder/restorer. 5200 on the screws/bolts at finial assembly.

Epoxy isn't hygroscopic like the polester resin the factory used so it is a must for the complete project. The polester over time will slowly allow water to get to the wood.

I don't care for the fiberglass floor skins. People jumping in the boat and with the foam support degrading with time will cause it to fracture allowing water to get in the outside areas of the bilge. CPES then epoxy coated ply is my choice.

If you foam, I prefer the injection method over the pour in. Injection foam self skins on the outside providing a water barrier. With pour or spray in, you always end up cutting the tops off opening up the cells in the foam. I know that it is a closed cell foam but feel it makes a difference. Carefull sealing the injection points with epoxy is important.

If you don't foam and add more foam for bouyancy say under the decks and gunnels, then provide drainage on the bottom edges of the stringers.

I'm going to try to find the thread about new stringers/floor that someone did that was really damn close to the exact process I'm describing. I remember him even using temporary screws to hold the ply down until the epoxy he used to bond it down cured. Then removed the screws and injected the holes. I can't remember who it was but I was impressed. I'll come back in and provide a link when I find it.

Edit: Greg, it's in this thread but I didn't read that he presealed the ply with CPES - important! He did use pour foam but with the injected, there is less waste. You only inject as much as is needed and don't need to mix too much like with the A-B foam.
ply floor

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-11-2008 at 10:18am
Pete, you make a solid case as always and thanks for the info. I went to bed having this discussion with myself! LOL

I do like the idea of staying with wood for several reasons, and I probably wouldn't stay up nights worrying about it with the CPES on it. If I can sort out all of the things you guys have done so well and maybe avoid some of the pitfalls...! Brian(FINS), do you have a pic of the pvc bilge system you described in the linked thread? Has anyone else used this meathod? All comments and criticisms are welcome!
1988 BFN-sold

Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-11-2008 at 11:23am
Pete, if you're using CPES, do you really need to coat with epoxy? Might that hold water in the wood and not let it breath? My brother's 1980 Resorter has wood framing below the floor that is painted or covered with something that is flat black. It is not encapsulated with any type of resin and there are no rotting problems, even after 27 years. I'm assuming they used some kind of treament on the wood.

My 88 Malibu Skier has all the wood covered with resin, and I have replaced all the seat frames and part of the floor, and have been babying the area under the rear seat for about 10 years with Git Rot.

I'm still in the planning phase for the Mustang, but lately been wondering about not using resin.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-11-2008 at 12:01pm
Bruce, Once you use the CPES, you are stuck with the process of trying to keep water out of the wood by sealing it. Remember that the CPES is a epoxy that is just thinned with solvent to get it to penetrate. There are really two thoughts here. One is to make a effort to completely seal the wood and the other to allow the wood to breath. The breathing wood has long been controversial and really comes down to giving the wood a chance to dry out occasionally. When wood "breaths", it also breaths water moisture so I lean towards keeping the water out. I have torn into wood boats where the surface of the wood looks good but where it can't breath or dry out, there is rot! Your brother I feel has been lucky without getting any rot but Century also treated the wood with Penta. It was banned along time ago because it was proven to cause cancer. Here's the picture of the Century's bilge. You notice that there are just some small "straps" of glass holding the wood to the hull. I can honestly say that the hull of the Century is twice the thickness and the stringers are there to hold the engine and the floor so the little straps work.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-11-2008 at 12:22pm
That's a great shot. Steve's friend is sure going to town on that boat. Century were really well made. That pic will help me with the framing of my boat as I'm going foamless.
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-11-2008 at 8:43pm
Riley & Pete - If the foam isn't replaced under the floor, would some ventilation be in order - to dry out any moisture that accumulates? Maybe a few duct passages?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-11-2008 at 9:28pm

Chris,

If you don't foam and add more foam for bouyancy say under the decks and gunnels, then provide drainage on the bottom edges of the stringers.

With everything glassed and the drainage, water won't be a problem.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-12-2008 at 11:48am
IMHO,

A boat that gets daily heavy skiing use will destroy a coated plywood floor overfoam no matter how well sealed at every screw hole, I had 6 or so attempts to get that system right on boats for the summer camp I worked for and none of them lasted through thier 4th summer completely intact. I've had better success with pressure treated plywood uncoated but that was not over foam.

Coosa board is currently "the" replacement for grady's, mako's etc in the floor and the transom in these areas its as strong as plywood (in the direction strength is required) and slightly lighter.

Stringers are both easier to seal completely and harder to do right with any of the composites and so there I agree that fir is almost always the best idea.

Just my opinion

1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-12-2008 at 12:09pm
Joe, Just wondering about the summer camp failures. Rough service to say the least!! The ply that failed, did you just resin coat it? With polyester or epoxy? Any CPES? Did it rot or delaminate?

I certainly agree with you that the Coosa board is a excellant product. It's just more money!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-12-2008 at 1:01pm

Joe, Just wondering about the summer camp failures. Rough service to say the least!! The ply that failed, did you just resin coat it? With polyester or epoxy? Any CPES? Did it rot or delaminate?

I certainly agree with you that the Coosa board is a excellant product. It's just more money!!

I never did just resin, was always topped with at least one layer of cloth typically two early attempts were with polyester although fairly high end polyester, at first I just encased the plywood resin and one layer of glass, eventually we were thinning west systems epoxy with acetone and painting the board a few coats before we encased, then we tried thinning by heating and encasing, the last one we used the CPES, we had a few shots at it. The last one is actually going into year 5 but it is soft in a few places and frankly they don't use the boats quite as hard as we used to.

The biggest issue I believe, besides the boats being constantly wet all summer was that with all the banging around (there were no days called on account of waves) it was just impossible to keep them crack free and all the screw holes from loosening up just enough.

They would typically rot, drivers seats were the worst areas, ski lockers second. As these were I/o's or outboards that usually came to us from donations (not typically well taken care of boats to begin with) we would usually destroy the original floor/seats after one season, put in a new floor over the off season start repairs after the second season with the new floor (more and larger screws, expoy), more serious repairs the third season (backing plates etc).and the fourth season the boat would generally be on its way out with one or more seats non functional.   

I think covering these boats at night actually did considerably more harm than good they would be hot and moist in there by 8 in the morning.

My boats don't get used quite this hard but they do get used alot when I am healthy and usually go to bed wet after twilight skiing. I am 210-245lbs depending on the year and most of my skiing friends are 225-265 so we put stress on the seats and floor, and with a 10 mile lake we see our fair share of bumpy rides looking for skiable water.

The only thing worse than doing a floor stringer replacement is being around to see it fall apart again.

Probably none of this is an issue for the average ski boat that lives on a trailer is "adult owned" and doesn't spend much time bouncing around in the waves. My 83 certainly made it a very long time with the original wood over foam construction before it rotted, but the 550 hours on it is less than what it would have gotten in two years of camp service.

Basically all this is to say if you abuse your boats you might want to consider coosa instead of plywood...
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-12-2008 at 1:46pm
I think the only cure for a heavily used boat is maybe the rino lining type products applied then carpeting over it.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-13-2008 at 10:22am
I'll call around to see about the coosa price and availability. I think I'm sold on it unless it's cost prohibitive. Good practical info Joe. I think I'm also sold on using fir for the stringers after studying the size of the beams in this boat. My limited experience with composites tells me that composites are much harder to shape than wood, and there will be a good bit of shaping.

I've been following a couple of threads in hopes of not forgetting anything...thanks all for the helpful info. I finished these last night and wound up putting a little more into them after a post from Bill(skibum). I even recycled 4 old head bolts, an old inner tube, and a TV stand my grandfather must have built in the 60's...old heart pine sure makes the shop smell good.

1988 BFN-sold

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-13-2008 at 10:32am
Greg, I notice at the bottem of the stands that you didnt round the corners, so i am going to give you a b minus on them   lol
Insanity is a fine line
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-13-2008 at 10:54am
I'll take a B minus from you...and that fine line is why I didn't put the finishing touches on 'em, but part of me wanted to?!!? LOL When was the last time you saw pine like this?

1988 BFN-sold

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-13-2008 at 12:11pm
Greg, You have crossed that fine line on this one!!!!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1234 24>
  Share Topic