Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Props...what to buy?

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
Brktracer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brktracer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Props...what to buy?
    Posted: January-31-2008 at 6:28pm
With spring quickly approaching (not fast enough though) I'm starting to think about a new prop to get my SN running like it should. I've done some searching and it looks like these are rather expensive, but I live at the lake now so I'm sure I'll get my money's worth. I'm not sure what to buy though, and would rather buy one (not two)!
A couple months ago I asked about why my top speed wasn't what it should be and I got lots of help...thanks! http://www.correctcraftfan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9254&PN=4&TPN=1
It doesn't appear my trans is slipping, so it looks like the prop is the culprit.

Has anybody tried various props on an older hull (70's) and what were your results?
Anybody have a prop close by that I can try out? I live in South Carolina on Lake Hartwell.

Thanks,

Matt
bmiller View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-31-2008 at 6:43pm
The best thing I can tell you is to call Delta prop and tell them what you have.They should be able to tell you what you need with what your trying to do.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-31-2008 at 6:50pm
Originally posted by bmiller bmiller wrote:

The best thing I can tell you is to call Delta prop and tell them what you have.They should be able to tell you what you need with what your trying to do.

Or he could tell us what he's trying to do. There are lots of people here with lots of experience with different props on that hull.

Matt, are you looking to ski? Cruise? Top speed? Fuel economy? Holeshot?
Brktracer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brktracer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-31-2008 at 6:53pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Or he could tell us what he's trying to do. There are lots of people here with lots of experience with different props on that hull.

Matt, are you looking to ski? Cruise? Top speed? Fuel economy? Holeshot?

I want to run 50+ mph like some others said they can. I should have plenty of hp. Worst case, I can ski with my current prop.
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-31-2008 at 7:01pm
How much horsepower and at what RPM?
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
Brktracer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brktracer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-31-2008 at 7:06pm
Originally posted by JoeinNY JoeinNY wrote:

Currently it will run 5000-5200 max RPM. The prop I have feels like it has a lot of slip. 351W, 9:1 compression, fully port and polished heads, 1.94/1.60 valves, comp cams 218@.050 - 111 LSA, Performer RPM, 650 carb, MSD 6-AL ignition. Others may disagree but I'd say 300-325 hp.
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-31-2008 at 7:16pm
I was just making sure you weren't running an engine that needed to be up at 6k or something of the like. For that hull you probably cant go wrong with an oj legend 13 x 13 RH. Normally I would recommend an acme prop but Maddmarx put one on his boat last summer and he was not happy.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-31-2008 at 7:16pm
Originally posted by Brktracer Brktracer wrote:

comp cams 218@.050 - 111 LSA

Whats the lift? Who ported the heads?
behindpropeller View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote behindpropeller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-31-2008 at 7:50pm

Originally posted by JoeinNY JoeinNY wrote:

Currently it will run 5000-5200 max RPM. The prop I have feels like it has a lot of slip. 351W, 9:1 compression, fully port and polished heads, 1.94/1.60 valves, comp cams 218@.050 - 111 LSA, Performer RPM, 650 carb, MSD 6-AL ignition. Others may disagree but I'd say 300-325 hp.

And you are complaining about the cost of a prop?

Brktracer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brktracer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-31-2008 at 8:50pm

I'm not complaining about the cost of one, I'm complaining about the cost of two! I'd like to do it right the first time if possible.

Seriously, I need a prop for my race car too (rear end gears)!

I have family that can help when it comes to engines. My father-in-law is a machinist and has been building stock and race engines for over 30 years (probably closer to 40). He ported the heads and cut them for the bigger valves. Also, milling, screw in studs, 3 angle valve job, and guideplates. His help saved me a lot! Bottom end is balanced and has ARP rod bolts.

The cam lift is .456" This cam is basically PN 35-218-3 ground for reverse rotation. Only exception is the LSA is 111 instead of 110. It has 1.6 roller rockers.

I would have expected a little more RPM than 5000 and I suspect the exhaust manifolds are holding it back a bit. The collector area is relatively small. Also a 750 carb would probably help. But, let's focus on the prop for now.

Thanks,
Matt
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-31-2008 at 9:05pm
Id say youre about right with 300-320hp. If the heads were ported properly, they might flow equivalent to GT40's. At .456", the cam is fairly mild, but a little warmer than stock. Id say the prop is the culprit if youre not running 50.

Hopefully Alan (81Nautique) will chime in. His motor is comparable, and he has experience with a few different props on that hull.
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-31-2008 at 9:09pm

The cam lift is .456" This cam is basically PN 35-218-3 ground for reverse rotation. Only exception is the LSA is 111 instead of 110. It has 1.6 roller rockers.

I would have expected a little more RPM than 5000 and I suspect the exhaust manifolds are holding it back a bit. The collector area is relatively small. Also a 750 carb would probably help. But, let's focus on the prop for now.

Thanks,
Matt

Matt, My 351 is very close to what you're running, I'm .030 over, 9.5:1, cam is .460 lift, gt40p heads and a performer. My carb is still a 600cfm Holley. I think you will have a hard time getting it to turn much over 5000 and get any benefit from it and the larger carb will be shot down by many here.

I do agree with Joe about the Acme 540 , it is a great ski prop and you're boat should run tops 48-49 with it. I have an old Oj 13x13 that is my best all around prop and when my boat is tuned correctly and not loaded with peeps it will run 50-51 but the rpms will still not be much higher than 4700-4800. I can turn the Acme 540 which is a 13x12 at 5200 but there's no benefit in doing so.

I absolutely agree with you that the exhaust is a major limitation but the options are expensive. The cost per MPH over 50 is rediculous.

Edit: In case you hadn't noticed the little freindly bantering going on on another thread I'm looking at installing 1.7 ratio roller rockers this spring to help my fairly mildcam selection.    In all due respect to TRBenj, he suggested I didn't go hot enough when I spec'd all my components last year and after only 60 hours on the motor I'm fiddling for a little bit more.

You can’t change the wind but you can adjust your sails
Brktracer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brktracer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-31-2008 at 9:10pm

he has experience with a few different props on that hull.

I knew someone here has probably tried some different ones.

MaddMarxx View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MaddMarxx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-31-2008 at 11:37pm
I tryed four props on mine!
1)federl 13x13=4900 rpm at 49.9 mph(not bad for stock prop)
2)acme 540 13x12=4800 rpm at around 48 or 49 mph (did not like it at all)
3)OJ 13x13 three blade 5300 rpm at 53.5 mph(this prop had a few nicks in it, but still worked good
4)oj 13x13 four blade 5200 rpm at 54.2 mph, the four blade was a monster out of the hole and a little better at the top(I liked it the best great power and top speed)

good luck!!
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-01-2008 at 12:19am
Originally posted by MaddMarxx MaddMarxx wrote:

2)acme 540 13x12=4800 rpm at around 48 or 49 mph (did not like it at all)

I still cant figure this one out. The slower top end is understandable, but that thing should have been turning way more RPM's being down on pitch. It also should have been the fastest out of the hole by some margin, I would think. Very strange.

Originally posted by 81nautique 81nautique wrote:

I'm fiddling for a little bit more.

Alan, thats the name of the game. It will never be enough!

My prediction is that there will be some seriously fast boats at GL this year. Too bad I wont be one of them
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-01-2008 at 12:46am
Tim: I agree on the 540. Me and Eddie put mine on a few weeks ago and it would still do 50 per Eddie's new GPS but I had to turn 5600 to get it. To much for my old motor. With the stock Federal 13x14 she would hit 50 at 48 or 4900. I haven't tried my OJ 13x13 Legend (the "nicked-up" prop in MM's post) yet to see how it compares on my boat. MM did like this prop on his boat tho.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
p/allen View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p/allen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-01-2008 at 1:10am
from TRBenj    My prediction is that there will be some seriously fast boats at GL this year. Too bad I wont be one of them [/QUOTE]

Tim , You may not be in the running for the fastest boat , but I bet you will have 1 of the best looking Skiers there.
Pat
My 72 Skier
Rock River
Dixon,ILL.
MaddMarxx View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MaddMarxx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-01-2008 at 1:12am

My prediction is that there will be some seriously fast boats at GL this year. Too bad I wont be one of them

You can be if you switch to an OJ!

Heres somthing to think about, some of the faster boats on this site all run OJs

bill b=74mph(on NOS)
boat dr=58 mph, so he says
Marshall=57.5 mph                  
reidp=56= 56mph and soon to be more
me 54 mph= and soon to be more, I hope
joe ??? whos boat should be up there when he works all the bugs out!
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-01-2008 at 1:21am
Originally posted by p/allen p/allen wrote:

Tim , You may not be in the running for the fastest boat , but I bet you will have 1 of the best looking Skiers there.

Thanks, Pat. One thing we have going for us is that there arent too many Skiers around!

Mark, I was told the same thing yesterday by someone else in the know. Do you happen to know Jody Seal? I can tell you one thing- its going to take a lot more than a prop change to get the '90 running with you guys on the top end!
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-01-2008 at 4:45am
Well the prop can't hurt, but I dont think either tim or I can be in the hunt with our newer boats, I wouldnt rule us out when we get the old boats where we want them. I dont think bill b is running anything near an off the shelf oj, but he definitely was recommending thier products.   I actually really like their xmp line but they dont have anything in the right rotation for the older correct crafts, there is however one on the mustang in my signature and it was a great prop low, top, and in the middle not as big as the acme and a shape more like the legend but very precise and well made. I am going to have to start over tuning my boat this year with a new cam and a new transmission but I hope someday she will be good for 54 mph on the motor, 58 on the bottle.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-01-2008 at 10:36am

I'm not complaining about the cost of one, I'm complaining about the cost of two!
Matt

Now there's a idea! Two props to get all that HP to the water!!
Matt, Proping as you have read is a lot of trial and error. I would try one first and then you can get a second or simply use your exsisting as a backup. It sounds like you plan on hitting things!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Brktracer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brktracer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-01-2008 at 11:10am
These boats running in the mid-high 50's...which OJ prop do they run? What is done as far as engine work?

Thanks,

Matt

81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-01-2008 at 11:45am

These boats running in the mid-high 50's...which OJ prop do they run? What is done as far as engine work?

Thanks,

Matt

Matt, the owners would have to chime in but boatdoc,, reid and marshall are all running smaller lighter boats than you. Bill is an former boat racer so although incredibly impressive he;s not the benchmark. MM's boat is what you should be looking at as far as a benchmark as you boats are similar.

He'll have to let you in on the particulars as far as what's inside but I believe the biggest difference in mine and his is cam and compression ratio as I believe he's running flattops. He may or maynot decide to reveal all the specs on his motor as he's in the middle of a testosterone battle with the welterweights right now, and all things considered he's holding his own.

ps. That's a joke by the way guys. The speed wars are good fun but out of my league right now that's why I try to keep the 81 looking good on the trailer.
You can’t change the wind but you can adjust your sails
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-01-2008 at 11:50am
Originally posted by 81nautique 81nautique wrote:

I believe the biggest difference in mine and his is cam and compression ratio as I believe he's running flattops.

Im not sure Mark's boat is a good comparison either- he's got a freakishly fast hull. Mark, correct me if Im wrong, but you were topping out over 50 with the stock cam and heads, correct? If he throws more HP at the thing, I dont doubt he'll be running in the mid-upper 50's.
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-01-2008 at 12:27pm
no Tim, Mark's isn't really stock at all, stock cam spec's but then through in the 1.7:1 rockers and then it changes the profile some. seems like the guy doesn't have it tuned quite right anyway with the prop and specs I woulf have thought it woulf have turned a few more R's than it did I know on mine it would do 6K with that size prop and that's why I sued the 460 but would have liked to try the 540 or mark's Oj
Brktracer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brktracer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-01-2008 at 1:20pm
I was thinking my engine should be good for 5500 and was disappointed it only went 5000. But I know of a couple "issues" that I need to fix. I do know the prop is a problem though as 38-40 mph at 5000 is just wrong!

I do have a vibration between about 24 and 28 or so mph and suspect my prop might be bent slightly causing the vibration at these speeds and also causing cavitation (slip) at higher engine speeds.

I'm far enough south I can play with it this time of year and it's still on the lift so it's just a matter of draining the water when I get back.

I think I'll go ahead and take care of my "issues" and if anyone has a prop they don't mind me trying I'll cover the freight. I'd like to find what works best and I don't mind posting results.

I need to install another distributor or convert mine to magnetic or laser pick up. I'm currently using points to trigger the MSD. This could be limiting my RPM. Also I have a 750 carb to try. I've never tried running on 93 octane and adjusting the timing either. I've only run 87 to this point.

I'm assuming some of you are running the OJ 23102???

Matt
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-01-2008 at 2:21pm
heres what you need to do

Get a real distributor, adjust the advance cuvre in the dist and adjust the Box settings, then go back and re-adjust the carb

Oh and hire that out as it doesn't sound like your on top of your a game when it comes to tuning motors.
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-01-2008 at 4:50pm
How many hours are on this engine? Are we assuming that the alignment is perfect and the shaft is straight? I'm only saying that it's easier to compare apples to apples...and I've learned miles about alignment and its effects since I've been a member here.
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
MaddMarxx View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MaddMarxx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-01-2008 at 5:17pm
Originally posted by BuffaloBFN BuffaloBFN wrote:

How many hours are on this engine? Are we assuming that the alignment is perfect and the shaft is straight? I'm only saying that it's easier to compare apples to apples...and I've learned miles about alignment and its effects since I've been a member here.

good point..Buffalo, Eric gave me a call to tell me that my alignment was off and that it was robbing me of a few HP and that it wore a hole in the case, somthing I will have to fix when I put back in the boat!
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-01-2008 at 10:14pm
Originally posted by MaddMarxx MaddMarxx wrote:

3)OJ 13x13 three blade 5300 rpm at 53.5 mph(this prop had a few nicks in it, but still worked good

Matt: This prop is sitting in my garage doin' nothing if you wanna try it. It is a Legend. MM really liked it on his '80. It was a very good prop on my '80 as well but I have a new 540 that I am in love with (Thanks Mike). Of course I will need it back...don't want to sell it..just want to let you try it out.

john

PS: Hey 79...I think I need some of that stuff you were talking about..still have my points...can I hire you on your next visit? I mean as long as you are suggesting to Matt...well you know I ain't on top of my game under the motor box!
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic