NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Hi-Tek Group Buy!!!!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
Author
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-12-2007 at 2:19pm
Originally posted by tullfooter tullfooter wrote:

Ryan, my mechanic is chompin at the bit to install a blower on my engine. I don't know if this is feasible but I will find out.

I imagine it would be, though a reverse rotation motor will make it a little more tricky.

A turbo, on the other hand, would be a heck of a project to make work. Not sure how you would install one on a wet exhaust system.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-12-2007 at 3:41pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

A turbo, on the other hand, would be a heck of a project to make work. Not sure how you would install one on a wet exhaust system.

apparently RA (more like DA) does, ask him
reidp View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reidp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-12-2007 at 6:14pm
Originally posted by RainDog RainDog wrote:

In my case, I can't get replacement manifolds and I think mine might be shot. Old ones are hard to find in good shape. If mine can't be repaired, what else can I do?

Steve, See this link from Barr. Have you already checked these and they're not available? I know some of the Chrysler Poly 318 manifolds are shown but not in production currently. I didn't know if this was the case with your Gray AMC's or not.

http://barrmarine.net/wordpress/graymarine-fireball-v8/
ReidP
1973 Mustang

Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-12-2007 at 10:49pm
douche bag-(hollywood)...why dont you read from the start and you can answear that one yourself...anyways i just asked, didnt know it wasnt possible, stated im not to savy on motors
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-12-2007 at 10:51pm
actually if you look online theres many turbocharged boats...google turbocharged boats
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-12-2007 at 10:52pm
Rhyan wa are starting to see that......................boat dr
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-13-2007 at 12:01am
what gives you more power a turbo or a blower?..just curious
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-13-2007 at 12:06am
it not which gives you more power it's when the power comes on turbo on a boat isn't really the best route.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-13-2007 at 2:15am
anything's possible, comes down to practicality in a ski boat. go work on your stereo.
MarineSRT8 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarineSRT8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-13-2007 at 9:07am
Ryan you just have to take into account a turbo charger depends on exhaust pressure to spool up and will have lag in the RPMs where you really need the power in a ski boat...and with a blower you will have instant boost BUT of course a blower puts a drag on the motor because the crank is what spools it. If you could possibly run a twin REALLY REALLY small turbo set up (the reason I say reall small is because with littler turbos you catch boost a lot faster) it would be a possibility in a ski boat. I would think a fuel injected computer controlled system woul be about the only way considering the fact you would need to have complete control of your boost.....

Your looking at a LOT more money for a turbo set up for this kind of boat....Go with a srew
"Some people go an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference. Marines don't have that problem"

-Pres. Ronald Reagan-

RainDog View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RainDog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-13-2007 at 10:31am
Originally posted by reidp reidp wrote:

Steve, See this link from Barr.

Thanks Reid, but no dice. Just got an answer back from them.

I think I was told that Barr had a fire and the molds for the Gray 327 were destroyed. With limited demand, they havn't made new tooling.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-13-2007 at 11:14am
Originally posted by RainDog RainDog wrote:

Originally posted by reidp reidp wrote:

Steve, See this link from Barr.

I think I was told that Barr had a fire and the molds for the Gray 327 were destroyed. With limited demand, they havn't made new tooling.

I may be in the same boat when the time comes for new ones on my 312! And the originals are aluminum so that time will come! Has anyone ever used one of the custom casting firms that will duplicate? I'm sure big $$$.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-13-2007 at 7:24pm
thanks for all the advice guys...do any of you guys no anyone with a ski boat who had a blower by any chance?
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-13-2007 at 7:51pm
You can do a search here and you will find pics of both a twin turbo century and a supercharged nautique or two that were used in the ski fly a couple years back that probably didn't make production. They were however not reverse rotation.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
68sklylark View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 68sklylark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-03-2007 at 12:45am
Boat Doc,

Thanks for the time you spent talking with me last month. I still may be interested in Hi Teks for our Skylark, but are currently working on some replacement cast maniflods we found.

We are going to try to keep the boat as stock as possible, that means we will be keeping the 300 Buick in it as long as po$$ible.

Thanks again,

Keith McIntyre
68sklylark View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 68sklylark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-04-2007 at 12:36am
Boat Dr,

We worked on the manifolds today. We are in for Hi-Teks.
Let me me know if this deal happens.

Keith
586-531-5513
ksmcintyre@centurytel.net

87BFN owner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-29-2007 at 3:10pm
Boat doc and anyone else that was thinking of getting a set of hi-teks. Has everyone that was thinking about getting a set got them, or are you waiting for the right amount of people? Boat Doc would you still be willing to up us out and get another group buy from Allen if there is enough interest even though your not going to be ordering a set this time?
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-29-2007 at 4:46pm
Jim, after the issues I had with Allen,even though he made it right,I will bail on this offer.
Not enough sugar for the nickel...........
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-29-2007 at 5:30pm
Doc, I can not say I blame you. But can you blame me for asking. If I decide to get another set, which I am leaning towards. I am thinking I will send him one of my manifolds and risers right from the get this time. Plus with the issues we had last time I think I deserve a little something from him price wise.
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-29-2007 at 6:28pm
Originally posted by boat dr boat dr wrote:

Jim, after the issues I had with Allen,even though he made it right,I will bail on this offer.
Not enough sugar for the nickel...........

I don't remember you guys having issues, what did I miss? Was it fitment, service, quality, delivery? I need to do something eventually with my exhaust and these have been in the back of my mind for a while.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-29-2007 at 7:38pm
Alan

The finished product was great both times. The first set sent to me would not fit under the engine cover. After quite a few phone conversations between the boat doc and I, Allen and I and the boat doc and Allen, all problems were solved. I ended up sending him my manifold and he made a jig with it. For the purposes of you engine Alan I don't think you will have any problems. Allens only issue was, that he is used to having all kinds of room. He had not dealt with are limited space under our engine covers before. The only other issue was the promise of when the new set of manifolds would get to my house. They were a few days late, but as you saw they made it to GL. I would get another set from him, with out worry. The boat doc, I believe just does not want to be caught in the middle. He felt responsible for the manifolds until everyone was happy. I thank him greatly for that. He assisted me quite a bit in getting a proper fitting set of manifolds.

Sorry about the long post.
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-29-2007 at 8:15pm
Alan, just a side note to the above post.
Reid's set would not fit either, tooo wide also, the story was he built a set for the tall valve covers and did not change the jig. As with 87 the problem was resolved and everyone pleased.
But I will not get into the middle of that situation again,Australia phone calls are 15.00 per minute.Boat Dr. sold the manifolds at cost as a favor for all involved.So on the next order it will be a one on one with Allen.
I too had a small problem with mine , but not grave enough to send back to be refitted, the anode fitting on the starboard was to the front and not on the rear . You can drain ALL THE WATER ON PORT, but on STARBOARD YOU WILL LEAVE ABOUT 2" OF WATER IN THE MANIFOLD.....
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-30-2007 at 10:58am
Originally posted by boat dr boat dr wrote:

I too had a small problem with mine , but not grave enough to send back to be refitted, the anode fitting on the starboard was to the front and not on the rear . You can drain ALL THE WATER ON PORT, but on STARBOARD YOU WILL LEAVE ABOUT 2" OF WATER IN THE MANIFOLD.....

Just a quick note here- not a single issue with mine. I guess Im the lucky one in the group.
Nautique2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautique2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-31-2007 at 3:42pm
Tim,

Any winter plans for the '90? Are you going to do more mods to the engine? If you've already posted any ideas or plans, I apologize for playing catch up.

Ken
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-31-2007 at 4:08pm
Originally posted by Nautique2001 Nautique2001 wrote:

Tim,

Any winter plans for the '90? Are you going to do more mods to the engine? If you've already posted any ideas or plans, I apologize for playing catch up.

Ken

Other than some minor cleanup, Ive got nothing planned for the '90. Ive got to see how many footers it will pull before I add any more power. Gonna try and get a group of 6 or 7 together in the spring to wring it out. It pulled 2 of us (combined 400+ lbs) at 45mph a few weeks ago.

The Tique will be getting all my attention instead. If everything works out, its getting traded for another project boat in the spring.
Nautique2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautique2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-31-2007 at 5:54pm
Tim, make sure you take pictures of your progress with the Tique. I'm interested to see what you're doing and how you're doing it. Should be a cool little hot rod for somebody. If it's anything like Larry's, full steam will be 50+ MPH.

I love the torque in the '90. That thing must rip you right out of the hole. Can the pylon take the stress of 6 or 7 footers?

Ken

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-31-2007 at 6:12pm
Originally posted by Nautique2001 Nautique2001 wrote:

Tim, make sure you take pictures of your progress with the Tique. I'm interested to see what you're doing and how you're doing it. Should be a cool little hot rod for somebody. If it's anything like Larry's, full steam will be 50+ MPH.

I love the torque in the '90. That thing must rip you right out of the hole. Can the pylon take the stress of 6 or 7 footers?

I should have taken some "before" pics when I first bought it. The engine is assembled now and running, and I buffed the deck out- so its already starting to look better. Ill take some pics of the structural work- mostly so the new owner appreciates what went into it. I expect the thing to top out right around 50 when its done. Sadly, thats faster than the '90- not bad for a stock 302.

I figure since Brad's tall pylon didnt budge with 4 of us pulling from it, a few more wont hurt mine. The taller tow point adds to the stress, but the connection to the bow eye helps relieve some too.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
  Share Topic