NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

How much do you crank it?

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
Nautique2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautique2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How much do you crank it?
    Posted: March-07-2007 at 11:24am
A lot of first engine starts of 2007 is right around the corner. On average, how many cranks does it take to get your engine fired back to life? My 1980, I used to have to disconnect the fuel line from the tank and pour gas into a funnel to fill the fuel line. Then it would take 2-3 good cranks and high idle to keep it running. My '86 takes a 4-5 pumps of the throttle and a couple of cranks. I need to keep some RPM's going to get it nice and warmed up. Then for the rest of the year, one throttle pump and one crank. Do the EFI's just fire up on the first crank??? Good luck to everyone this year.

Ken
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-07-2007 at 11:26am
EFI,s fire within 2 turns, it is nice to have injection at times
"the things you own will start to own you"
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-07-2007 at 11:34am
I'll try to get a quick vid of the GT40 "waking up" for the first time this year.
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-07-2007 at 11:35am
I usually crank it over first with out the coil wire on and the plugs out and with fogging oil in each cylinder before I even try to start it then, it takes just a second for it to fire and idle.
jon4pres View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jon4pres Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-07-2007 at 11:39am
Last year to my surprise mine started on the 2nd crank. It shortly died but after I turned the idle up a bit it ran like a top. I always pump the gas 3 or 4 times before I start it to get a little gas in the motor.
82 2001

jon4pres@gmail.com
Fort Scott Kansas
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautique2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-07-2007 at 11:43am
Joel,

I'm planning on getting a video of my first fire-up of the year. My engine rocks and rolls for a short while until the temp starts to climb. Plus, the water is like ice, which doesn't help the warming process.

I feel bad for some of the outboard motor folks when they're cranking over for the first time. It's not uncommon to hear them hit the starter 20-30 times......and then....HUGE smoke screen.

Ken
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-07-2007 at 12:02pm
From what I've read, Quinner cranks it every couple of weeks, if not more often, during the winter BKH
Livin' the Dream

M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-07-2007 at 12:05pm
This winter is the first time I've ever

A) Fogged each cylinder independantly for layup

and

B) Used AF in the motor during layup

so I hope this spring that A)I don't hydro lock it and B)nothing froze. It's amazing that things I do to prevent problems also create new worries! I'll probably spin the crank a few times with the plugs out before I let it rip.

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautique2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-07-2007 at 12:11pm
Yikes, that's one thing I didn't do, fog each cylinder. Should I squirt some mystery oil in each cylinder prior to start up? Wouldn't hurt, right?

Ken
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-07-2007 at 12:15pm
I do it just in case there is a little surface rust, if there is it usually takes care of with a fresh squirt of fogging oil and turning it over to coat the cyl walls. any excess is blown out the spark plug hole on the compresion stroke.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautique2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-07-2007 at 12:15pm
I don't miss these days Smokey O/B
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-07-2007 at 12:17pm
Originally posted by bkhallpass bkhallpass wrote:

From what I've read, Quinner cranks it every couple of weeks, if not more often

ya like daily would be a little closer to it...
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautique2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-07-2007 at 12:20pm
HOLY SMOKES, check out this twin turbo boat engine. That's going in my boat this year.

Twin Turbo Engine

Ken
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautique2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-07-2007 at 12:23pm
Where's Tim B on this Twin Turbo matter? Tim, what's your opinion here? Can this be dropped in a Nautique?

Ken
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautique2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-07-2007 at 12:32pm
Don't let this happen to you engine fire
82 Nautique 1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 82 Nautique 1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-07-2007 at 12:46pm
Where is his skier?
Original Owner " Dennis"

1982 Nautique
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-07-2007 at 12:52pm
Originally posted by Nautique2001 Nautique2001 wrote:

Where's Tim B on this Twin Turbo matter? Tim, what's your opinion here? Can this be dropped in a Nautique?

Absolutely- all it takes is money.
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-07-2007 at 12:56pm
Originally posted by M3Fan M3Fan wrote:

This winter is the first time I've ever

A) Fogged each cylinder independantly for layup

and

B) Used AF in the motor during layup

so I hope this spring that A)I don't hydro lock it and B)nothing froze. It's amazing that things I do to prevent problems also create new worries! I'll probably spin the crank a few times with the plugs out before I let it rip.

Curious what the Hydro lock concern is? I always spray fogging oil in the plug holes when winterizing and drain water and replace w/anti-freeze.

Prior to turning the engine over at all should the cylinders again be injected with fogging oil?

Is it necessary to get that fogging oil out of the cylinders before starting/running the motor? If so should the motor be cranked over a few times with the kill switch pulled to ensure the fogging oil exits the cylinders or should it be cranked over the same way with the plugs out to achieve this?

My experience with FI motors is they typically crank right up and idle fine after a lay-up while the Carbed motors tended to need a little more finesse prior to warming up.
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-07-2007 at 1:05pm
Quinn-

I used the spray-can Penzoil fogging oil with about a 5 second squirt per cylinder and turned it over by hand before layup. The concern is that you'd put too much oil in and inhibit the piston from completing the compression stroke, severely damaging the engine. I can't imagine I put that much oil in each cylinder- it would be almost impossible- but it worries me enough that I'll spin the engine over a few times without plugs before I start it this spring.
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-07-2007 at 1:14pm
Our mastercraft is kind of hard to start if its been sitting for a while. It acts like the mechanical pump might be going south. BTW that twin turbo is nasty. Turbos are the coolest form of forced induction ever. I saw a vortech supercharger kit on ebay the other day for a pcm.
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-07-2007 at 2:07pm
Joel,

You won't have an issue with Hydrolock, that small amount of fogging oil is not a problem at all. It will burn off quickly. If you're not certain then just turn it over for a minute without plugs and you'll be fine. Drap some shop rags over the plug holes so you don't shoot any oil on your interior.

As for starting mine, I don't have a kill switch so I do it the 79 way and pull the coil wire and let it crank for just a bit to get some oil flowing. That also gets some fuel pumped up to fill the bowls, then it should start instantly. If you've still got last years plugs in it they could misfire until you get some heat in it but they'll clear up. I usually change mine in the fall after I foul the engine so start up is a breeze in the spring, of course this year I've got a little more to deal with

You still headed to Bennett's this year?
You can’t change the wind but you can adjust your sails
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-07-2007 at 2:46pm
Yes indeedilly. I'll have the full ski school report posted on my soon-to-be site which I'll be unvieling soon.
Behl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Behl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-07-2007 at 3:23pm
When you crank with the plugs out you also build oil pressure in the whole engine so when you do try to start everything is lubed
Steve in Indy

Redone 1977 Ski Tique
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-07-2007 at 3:26pm
Anyone know the size of the crank bolt by any chance? I'd like to buy the real socket for it so I can manually spin it in a few weeks here.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 82 Nautique 1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-07-2007 at 3:31pm
Mine is 15/16" I put it on a short 6" extionsion and 1/2" drive

This clears my pylon nice and turns very easy

This is on a 1982 351 frod
Original Owner " Dennis"

1982 Nautique

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 82 Nautique 1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-07-2007 at 3:32pm
Ford not frod...sorry
Original Owner " Dennis"

1982 Nautique
JEFF KOSTIS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JEFF KOSTIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-07-2007 at 8:46pm
    I find the major difference in initial srping time start-up is having the fuel there. I usually use a small funnel and fill the bowl of the quadratoilet and it fires and runs great. The other has a 4160 holley with a electric fuel pump. The electric fuel pump works great as it fires right up too. Most initial crankin is from the fuel being dried up in the bowl requiring the mechanical fuel pump some time to get the fuel there.

Jeff...
The Dude View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-07-2007 at 9:52pm
btw, Ken, fine job of naming your topic.
Mullet Free since 93
95 Sport
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautique2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-08-2007 at 11:08am
Originally posted by The Dude The Dude wrote:

btw, Ken, fine job of naming your topic.

Hey now!

Ken
nates78ski View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nates78ski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-08-2007 at 3:44pm
yeah, i would agree on the topic name,,, its a daily struggle to not make a remark... seems too easy. & since i dont crank my boat during the winter & have no information on this topic, ill just keep moving along...hahaha OH BTW it's suppposed to be 53 & 58 degrees here on Monday & Tuesday next week!!!!!

Nate
Nathan
My '78 Ski Nautique

<a href="http://photobucket.com/Nates78ski" rel="nofoll
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic