NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

skutsch

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 2345>
Author
skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-10-2014 at 9:13pm
Originally posted by OverMyHead OverMyHead wrote:

How goes it Steve?

Very Timely Dave! I went to the Doc today.

So here is the update: "The healing is going Great" (Doc Rao's assessment). He moved me out of the Minerva brace and into an Aspen brace. The Aspen is less restrictive as it loses the chest and back plate, looks more like your standard neck brace. I can take it off for showers, which I decided meant I could get a hair cut so we went direct from the doctor office to a good friend who is a hairdresser for a VERY carefully planned haircut, man did that feel good to get rid of 3 months of hair...

We are still month to month on returning to driving, so Carmen (Mrs. skutsch) was not too excited about that. We also learned that I would NOT be receiving any therapy and that he anticipates 18 to 24 months of restricted activity. I suspect a lot of that time will be in the brace. He does not want me to try and increase range of motion at all, and just let my neck loosen up naturally with LIMITED use. That was a pretty eye opening indicator as to how bad the injury was and how fragile my neck is and still will be. Carmen, who is an Occupational Therapist, said that is really unusual and indicates that my neck is really F'd up, that was a professional opinion...

So the Doc and I also had a real heart to heart about the definitions and boundaries around "normal activity" when I am cleared to return to those types of things. Water skiing is off the table, way off. I may be able to convince him that surfing is okay, but he was resistive to that. Biking and Swimming are preferable activities. Light weight training might be okay. Snowmobiling is OUT. He also said definitely no running. I should be able to return to flying once I get some range of motion back. Pretty clear that anything that puts me at a risk of fall, or is repetitive pounding is a big No No.

So good to now know what the limits will be when I get there. I would be lying if I didn't say I was a little bit disappointed and I am. I know and realize that it could be a hell of a lot worse. I thank the Lord everyday for the blessings he has given me. I know I am incredibly lucky to be walking around. There is no way ANYONE is going to try and keep me out of a boat, so I look forward to being the driver for anyone, and I especially want to keep teaching anybody that wants to try, how to ski.

So I have a really nice 06 Arctic Cat Crossfire 700 for sale if anyone is interested, the monies from that sale will probably get set a side for a project boat of some kind. Alan's already done the the last available one of a kind CC runabout project, maybe I will have to find a Miamian to restore - HA! Always wanted to build Glen-L Sherwood Queen which is a small 15' Tug/Launch, thought it would be a cool little putt putt to run around the lake after no wake hours, maybe I will go that route.

Back to the Doc in another month, hope to get the release to drive. Thanks again for all the support and prayers. God Bless!!!
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-10-2014 at 9:25pm
Steve,
I completely missed checking in on this thread and keeping myself informed. I'm glad to hear that you are recovering. The Brainard prayers are with you.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
OverMyHead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-10-2014 at 10:59pm
Steve, Thanks for the update. It sounds like you are progressing nicely (answered prayers). I think it is a little early to be pressing your Doc about long term outcomes. As you know you are blessed just to be walking right now. I see why your doc wants to keep you grounded while you heal, after all he knows what you are naturally inclined to do in your spare time. Filling your heads with thoughts of what you will do some day would likely lead to you overdoing it now, which could be disastrous. Remember how he has already adjusted timelines and expectations and assume that will continue. I expect the future activities and limitations you describe are the worst case scenario. Hang in there, be patient, and enjoy the freedom of the new lesser cervical brace.

Dave
For thousands of years men have felt the irresistible urge to go to sea, and many of them died. Things got better after they invented boats.
1987 Ski Nautique

63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-11-2014 at 10:11am
Glad you can move to a more comfortable brace, and even if the news isn't quite what you hope for at least it gives you guidance so you know what to expect. Bet you can't wait to be able to drive again!

Thanks for the update! How is sleeping these days, and do you deal with pain daily or has that subsided?
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-11-2014 at 10:46am
Dahhhhhhhhhhhh it's only a flesh wound!

Thanks for the update bro. What about wearing a barefooters neck brace type of support whilst you surf? Guess the doc wasn't privy to that.
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-11-2014 at 10:59am
Some of use don't snowmobile and it has nothing to do with our necks. I am kind of surprised by the biking recommendation. There are falls, and the ground is usually quite hard. Trick skiing and surfing isn't any riskier than the initial jump into the pool.

Anyway, glad you are able to focus on your healing and with that I'm sure you'll find numerous other enjoyable activities. I have a pink boat that needs engine work and lots of buffing. And a blue one that still needs plenty of fiberglass work...
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-11-2014 at 12:54pm
I agree with Hollywood, biking seems much riskier than trick skiing or surfing.

Glad to hear you're making progress tho!!!
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-11-2014 at 1:13pm
Keep your chin up Steve....oh wait, the neck brace is doing that for you

Next summer do some driving & teaching, who knows, by 2016 you may be able to do way more then anyone anticipated, the human body is amazing, let it do it's thing!!
skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-12-2014 at 12:33pm
Pete - Thanks a ton, all the prayers have been the secret to the successful recovery!

Dave - I hope your right, but if not I am good with what ever activities I am allowed to return to, it was a bit shocking to understand the timetable is likely 2 years, that was unexpected...

David - you are not kidding on the driving, although I am not sure if it's me or my wife who is more anxious to get me driving, I am NOT a good passenger. Very little pain, more tweaks here and there when I make unusual movements, most of the time its getting in and out of bed. The last two days have brought a lot more muscle pain in the shoulders and shoulder blades. I think those muscles are now having to activate to stablize things that the old brace kept locked in, so that has been annoying, but I feel like that is good pain.

Tim - I think I will be wearing those barefoot neck braces for a LOT of activites going forward, you and I are on the same page!

Kev - every time I am in the barn, I see the pink boat. I have been scheming on a plan... Watch out! Also I seriously want to come down and do some fiberglass work on the Marti, never done that and I think it would be a good skill.

Chris - yeah, I don't get the biking thing either, mentioned this to my wife, and she said - yeah doc doesn't understand your idea of biking is flying through the woods at 20 mph... Will why not, what else would he think???

ChrisQ - can't wait to get behind the wheel again in the boat, I think summer will be good, maybe even a late winter trip down south if I can swing it. I know Eddie and Jbear will let me drive for them, and they have that all the time glass water, so I don't have to worry about the bouncing from the waves, sounds like perfect therapy (mental if nothing else!)

M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-13-2014 at 2:01pm
I've had some incredibly hard trick skiing falls, at least on 1 trick ski. Those edge grabs can be brutal and if you get caught straightening your knees in any turn or backward you go down incredibly abruptly. So I'd say trick skiing is probably not the best option!

Steve, I think you'll be surprised at how well you heal back up and what you're able to do. Each individual heals differently and has different mechanics. Feedback you're getting is based on averages and a wide range of cases.
2000 SN GT40 w/99 Graphics/Gel
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI
https://forum.fifteenoff.com

Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-13-2014 at 2:43pm
Steve, I'm glad you're doing so well. Unbelievable story. I had a room mate that broke his neck and was in a halo. Very serious situation, but he did fully recover. Keep getting better!
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-13-2014 at 3:36pm
As far as appropriate activities - I'm sure after a few beers at a reunion, one of his caring CCF buddies will talk Steve into standing on top of a stepladder on a disc while drinking a beer. You can always count on your friends to "help" you out!
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-18-2014 at 1:20am
Originally posted by skutsch skutsch wrote:

can't wait to get behind the wheel again in the boat, I think summer will be good, maybe even a late winter trip down south if I can swing it. I know Eddie and Jbear will let me drive for them, and they have that all the time glass water, so I don't have to worry about the bouncing from the waves, sounds like perfect therapy (mental if nothing else!)

and no snow here...so plan on coming down here...bring your Dad.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
Randy_in_Ohio View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy_in_Ohio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-18-2014 at 3:43pm
Sorry to hear about your accident Steve but so glad to hear you're doing well and on your way to recovering. Looking forward to seeing you at GL next year. My boys want to learn to foot, maybe you can give them some pointers? Take care of yourself.

jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-19-2014 at 11:44pm
holy cow...a Randy_in_Ohio sighting...

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-27-2014 at 5:19pm
Hey guys, thinking of all you today on Thanksgiving. I am so thankful for all the thoughts and prayers you have shared with me over the last few months. I have said it before, but I know in my heart that has made the difference in my recovery. Such a silly thing these Correct Craft boats, but the people connected with them are such a unique and wonderful group of folks. I think of all you folks a lot, looking forward to the next Chicago Beers outing, or Green Lake reunion, knowing there are so many other get together's I want to attend; White Lake, The Benjamins, St. John River Run, all of this helps so much to get through the occasional rough day. So on this Thanksgiving day know that you all are at the top of the thankful list, I hope you are all having a wonderful day with family and friends. THANK YOU!
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-27-2014 at 7:24pm

I think of all you folks a lot, looking forward to the next Chicago Beers outing, or Green Lake reunion, knowing there are so many other get together's I want to attend; White Lake, The Benjamins, St. John River Run,

Uhhh....am I missing something here.....

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-27-2014 at 7:27pm

thinking of all you unique and wonderful folks. I think of all you folks a lot

thinking of CQ so much could cause you to go blind...

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-28-2014 at 4:20pm
Originally posted by jbear jbear wrote:

I think of all you folks a lot, looking forward to the next Chicago Beers outing, or Green Lake reunion, knowing there are so many other get together's I want to attend; White Lake, The Benjamins, St. John River Run,

john

Hoping to get to all of these soon, maybe one a year should be a goal. Really all depends on the kids activities...
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-28-2014 at 6:07pm
Well Steve, up here in NH there were a ton of people without power on Thanksgiving, and many still without it now. We gather at the lake house, 19 people this year, no power. I brought a generator, we cooked the turkey on the grill, veggies and other dishes in a sand pit filled with charcoal, a few things in the microwave. All this with around 10" of snow on the ground after being 65 degrees on Tuesday!

Nicely said in your post above. I don't spend much time at all on forums, no social media for me, and yet I keep coming back to this foolish web site. Really solid group of people!
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-28-2014 at 11:57pm

Originally posted by jbear jbear wrote:

john

Hoping to get to all of these soon, maybe one a year should be a goal. Really all depends on the kids activities...

somehow missed "Florida..driving for Eddie & John" on this list...where are those reading glasses?

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-29-2014 at 1:10am
Ahhh, yes John that is going to happen often, with the way this winter is going, maybe every other weekend...
skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-19-2014 at 10:55am
Well, I had my 4 month post accident follow up last Monday. All reports were good. This was the first time I could actually visually see on the x-rays where the fused vertebrae looked to be growing bone (there's a softball for someone) and increasing bone density (my doc has been saying all along that it was progressing, but this was the first time I could notice a difference). So I was pretty excited about that!

Doc wants me to start going for short periods of time with out the brace, while you would think that I would be excited about that, to be perfectly honest it scares me to death. As uncomfortable as these things look, they are not that bad and provide an unbelievable amount of security. So I will be working on that, probably more of a mental challenge then anything. The last few nights I sat on the couch without the brace and I am getting more comfortable with the idea.

I also am cleared to start driving again. I do have to spend the next couple of weeks re-learning that process. I really can't turn my head, so I have to learn to check mirrors and blind spots by turning my entire body. The doc put my wife (an OT) in charge of signing off on my safety awareness. I have been out a couple of times on the neighborhood streets with her and it is going well. I broke the rules and drove solo to the grocery store last night - first time I have gone anywhere alone for over 4 months - a BIG step!

So progressing, it will be slow - it takes over a year for a bone to heal 100%, so I plan on giving it all that time, plus more to grow new bone. I get the sense the doc wants me to rely less and less on the brace, I am not so sure I agree but will follow his lead. Looking forward to a great Christmas with friends and family, I wish the same for all of you. I want to thank you all again for you prayers and support - couldn't have done this without you. MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-19-2014 at 11:35am
That's all very good news. I keep forgetting to ask what's up with the drain plug in the mailbox?
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-19-2014 at 11:37am
Glad to hear it Steve- keep healing up!
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-19-2014 at 12:00pm
Happy news, Good for you Steve!! Pretty soon you will be looking back and forget what a pain in the neck all this was...doh
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-19-2014 at 1:46pm
Has to be nice to be out on your own, if even for a little bit. Very good steps forward. Best wishes for a continued recovery and a very happy 2015!
fanofccfan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fanofccfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-19-2014 at 9:47pm
Good news! Good luck with your progress.
lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-20-2014 at 2:58am
Great news Steve a Chistmas gift for sure
If you're going through hell, keep going

89 Ski

<a href="http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5685" ta
IAughtNaut View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IAughtNaut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-20-2014 at 3:31am
wishing you all the best buddy. f*ck what the doctors say,I really believe that not only will you beat this, you'll be footing again in two years
bring the ruckus
2000 Pro Air
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 2345>
  Share Topic