Forum Name: Off Topic
Forum Discription: Anything non-Correct Craft
URL: http://www.CorrectCraftFan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=34451
Printed Date: April-29-2024 at 8:03am

Topic: skutsch
Posted By: Hollywood
Subject: skutsch
Date Posted: August-19-2014 at 1:34pm
The big man had an unsuspecting little fall barefooting with us Friday that resulted in broken and dislocated vertabrae in his upper back and lower neck. Surgery went very well and he gets to go home today. With his work ethic I'm sure he will have a successful recovery. I didn't know whether or not to post anything but I do know he's really loved by this group so many of you would want to know.

Replies:
Posted By: Gary S
Date Posted: August-19-2014 at 1:43pm
Ouch Steve , hope your feeling better. Was it a hold my beer and watch this?

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=1711&sort=&pagenum=1&yrstart=1966&yrend=1970" rel="nofollow - 69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport

Posted By: quinner
Date Posted: August-19-2014 at 1:45pm
First and foremost, thank god he is going to be OK and I am sure the girls are all thrilled he will be coming home!!

For us older barefooting guys this is pretty scary stuff, any thought as to a cause, straight forward, backward or was it a sideways fall.

Great to hear you are on the mend, Get well soon Steve!!

Posted By: AAM196
Date Posted: August-19-2014 at 1:50pm
Sorry to hear about this Steve... I wish you a speedy recovery!

Posted By: TRBenj
Date Posted: August-19-2014 at 1:58pm
Scary stuff Steve, glad to hear you're ok! Heal fast!

Posted By: IAughtNaut
Date Posted: August-19-2014 at 2:00pm
yikes, get better soon. glad you're gonna be ok.

clearly this was HW's fault

-------------
bring the ruckus
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5347" rel="nofollow - 2000 Pro Air

Posted By: storm34
Date Posted: August-19-2014 at 2:37pm
Get well soon, Steve!

-------------

Posted By: 75 Tique
Date Posted: August-19-2014 at 2:44pm
Wow! Scary stuff. Makes this senior division guy think twice. Saw on FB that he was having a health issue, but there were no details. Also saw he responded to one of the posts, so at least I knew he was quasi OK. Not that Steve's old, but us older guys gotta watch it with this stuff, I guess. We see our 20s and 30s buddies doing this stuff and we say we can do it. Gotta realize our bodies are not quite as pliable as the younger guys. I try to be careful, but at the same time, I march on and push it a bit. My wife is constantly asking (telling??) me to slow down, that I'm not 25 any more and shouldnt be pushing it so. If I ever got hurt, the fall would be minor compared to what she would do to me. In recent years I've said the llbd was the end of my wish list, but having got that down, I'm already thinking about B2Fs. I'll never learn!   Get well fast, Steve. Glad you are OK!

-------------

Posted By: JPASS
Date Posted: August-19-2014 at 2:45pm
Speedy recovery Steve

-------------
'92 Correctcraft Ski Nautique

Posted By: Frankenotter
Date Posted: August-19-2014 at 2:51pm
Speedy recovery papa-Steve-o. I'm coming over this weekend weather you like it or not.

-------------
1999 Ski Nautique 196

Posted By: 81nautique
Date Posted: August-19-2014 at 2:57pm
Hate hearing stuff like this, glad to hear he'll be ok down the road. Get well soon Steve.

Posted By: Morfoot
Date Posted: August-19-2014 at 3:08pm
Got wind of this yesterday via text message and immediately called HW for the scoop. Didn't get ahold of him right away so I texted Skutsch to see if he would respond. Much to my surprise he did.... Told him word got out and that I was praying for him and this was his response.....

Thanks Tim....Very scary! I fractured 3 vertabrae & displaced 2 in my neck. Prayers got me through this far and the outcome is miraculous. Did it footin and thankfully I have full range of motion in all extremities... Unfortunately my skiing days are over as my neck is too fragile....

Hope is all on the mend and the Doc's got you good and fixed up. We know you've got a great support group at the house. Get well soon Bro!

-------------
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"

Posted By: Mojo
Date Posted: August-19-2014 at 3:16pm
Wow, glad to hear is prognosis on recovering is great..
Good vibes coming your way Steve !!!
Moj'

-------------
05' SV211 TE
73' Martinique
had:96' SNOB
had:76' Nautique
had 77 Tique

Posted By: backfoot100
Date Posted: August-19-2014 at 3:42pm
Tim shot me a copy of the text yesterday and I can't tell you how shocked I was. Thought I would wait to see what was cause/effect/prognosis would be. By the way Tim, thanks for the heads up.

Each of us has said in jest more than once if it was easy everybody would do it. We take things for granted when we're able to partake in something that we love to do. It's always an eye opener when you hear of something that hits so close to home with a true friend. It's just another reminder that we have to cherish everything while we can.

Our prayers are with you Steve. Mend quickly and heal well.

-------------
When people run down to the lake to see what's making that noise, you've succeeded.

Eddie

Posted By: skutsch
Date Posted: August-19-2014 at 4:53pm
Hey Guys, I am home, taking a few minutes on the computer to squash rumors etc.   Posted the details on facebook.

So I was not doing anything crazy. Jonny and I were doing a double, we got up did a nice butt glide and as I transitioned to 3 point I caught my right foot which spun me. I landed on my back once and before I could let go got slammed again. There is video tape, I don't think I can watch it... The only thing I have second guessed, was whether or not I should have actually been trying to foot because of the water conditions.

Unfortunately, because all three injuries were so close the doctor said it will never be strong enough to do strenous activities. Footing is out, slalom is out, I hate pair skis, no wakeboarding or tubing, I Might be able to surf.

Skiing was my passion, but lately I have been getting a huge thrill out of teaching others, so going forward, I hope to be able to instruct and of course, I am ALWAYS available to drive.

The other part of this that I will share is that this is a MIRACLE, I should not have been able to walk away from the initial injury, and I should have had complications from the surgery. I got through this from all of your prayers. I have no doubt.

I am open to visits, so if your in the area stop by. I will be in the brace for 6 months - so can't drive for that long either - that is going to be tough.

THANK YOU ALL FOR ALL YOU HAVE DONE, YOU DON'T KNOW HOW MUCH IT IS APPRECIATED!!!

-------------
Our http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=4669" rel="nofollow - 98 Sport Nautique
My Dad's 63 Ski N

Posted By: Mojo
Date Posted: August-19-2014 at 5:09pm
Dude,
You dodged about the biggest bullet you could have.. Yes, loosing the ability to ski is one thing, being able to walk is a whole different thing.. Do what the doc says to the letter so you heal right and can still play with the kids..

It will get better as time goes. If you need anything, just let us know..

God Bless..

Dave

-------------
05' SV211 TE
73' Martinique
had:96' SNOB
had:76' Nautique
had 77 Tique

Posted By: 81nautique
Date Posted: August-19-2014 at 5:11pm
Originally posted by skutsch skutsch wrote:

THANK YOU ALL FOR ALL YOU HAVE DONE, YOU DON'T KNOW HOW MUCH IT IS APPRECIATED!!!

Yes we do, There's a bond between the ccfans that can not be explained. Priceless friendships are built here. Rest easy brother and get well, you'll probably hear this a thousand times but anything you need please reach out.

Posted By: scottb
Date Posted: August-19-2014 at 5:24pm
Sorry to hear about the injury, but glad to hear you are doing well. Sending good thoughts your way.

Posted By: halfnelly
Date Posted: August-19-2014 at 5:32pm
Wow, that's tough to hear. Not being able to ski is a small price, could have been so much worse. Glad to hear you'll make a full recovery!

Far too many neck injuries in this sport. Names like Jeff Carrington and Kyle Eade come to mind, and most recently Brad Smeele. My dad crashed jumping back in the 80's and messed up some nerves in his neck, doctor told him the same thing. Next time he wouldn't be so lucky. That was the end of his jumping. Sometimes it's best to just listen to the doctor.

Wishing you a speedy recovery, get well soon!

Brian

Posted By: M3Fan
Date Posted: August-19-2014 at 5:34pm
Tough situation, glad you'll come out of it OK.

Since I'm the last person in the world not on Facebook I can't read the details but I'm assuming the boat crew and their handling of the situation was a big help in this becoming a happy outcome? Any lessons in dealing with such an injury on the water that could help others out in the future? I know I don't have a back board on the boat and really wouldn't know what to do, exactly, in this situation.

-------------
2000 SN GT40 w/99 Graphics/Gel
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI
https://forum.fifteenoff.com

Posted By: Riley
Date Posted: August-19-2014 at 5:40pm
Thank God it wasn't worse. I wish you a fast recovery.

Posted By: Smithfamily
Date Posted: August-19-2014 at 7:53pm
Thank God you will be OK. Teaching sounds great.
Heres to a quick and smooth recovery!!

-------------
Js

Posted By: OverMyHead
Date Posted: August-19-2014 at 8:02pm
That was way to close a call Steve. Unlucky but incredibly lucky all at the same time. Thank goodness for modern medicine. We are hoping and praying for your speedy recovery.

-------------
For thousands of years men have felt the irresistible urge to go to sea, and many of them died. Things got better after they invented boats.
1987 Ski Nautique

Posted By: 8122pbrainard
Date Posted: August-19-2014 at 8:57pm
Steve,
Good luck with the recovery. You'll be out on the water again!

-------------
/diaries/details.asp?ID=1622" rel="nofollow -

54 Atom

/diaries/details.asp?ID=2179" rel="nofollow - 77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Posted By: lewy2001
Date Posted: August-19-2014 at 9:13pm
Steve good news that the surgery went well and you are on the mend.

-------------
If you're going through hell, keep going

http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=2999" rel="nofollow - 89 Ski

<a href="http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5685" ta

Posted By: Swatkinz
Date Posted: August-19-2014 at 9:44pm
Steve, best of luck to you in your recovery. Although we've never met, I can't help but feel a connection. 40's, daughters, barefooting, career, etc.

Would a neck brace have helped?

-------------
Steve
2011 Sport/Air 200
Excalibur 343
2017 Boatmate Tandem Axle Trailer

Former CC owner (77, 80, 95, 88, all SNs)

Former Malibu owner (07, 09)

Posted By: baitkiller
Date Posted: August-19-2014 at 9:47pm
Good luck Steve, we never met but if you find yourself down South give a whistle. You can drive my boat and drag my kids all day while I drink beer on the beach.. :)

-------------
Jesus was a bare-footer.............

Posted By: davidg
Date Posted: August-19-2014 at 11:04pm
Sorry to hear of your mishap Steve! Tough break, but, as has been said, it could have been a lot worse. Take it easy, and get healed up quickly.

Posted By: juniorwoody
Date Posted: August-19-2014 at 11:05pm
I have Burton out there learning to foot now so this gets my attention a bit more than it might. Best wishes in your recovery bud I think it falls under the category more of accidents will happen then an older age thing.

-------------
The value of money spent on new adventure far exceeds the value of money saved for the future

Posted By: SNobsessed
Date Posted: August-20-2014 at 12:00am
Get well soon Steve! You'll be the designated driver at next years GL.

-------------
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin

Date Posted: August-20-2014 at 12:05am
Maybe not, I suspect after this there will be a line to buy him beers at GL this year.   

-------------
For thousands of years men have felt the irresistible urge to go to sea, and many of them died. Things got better after they invented boats.
1987 Ski Nautique

Posted By: SWANY
Date Posted: August-20-2014 at 12:55am
WOW, glad to hear your ok Steve! I can't wait to get an opportunity to meet you Chicago/Milwaukee guys when I get a chance. I'll use a driver every chance I can and sounds like I could learn a lot too.

hope its a fast and restful recovery for you!

Posted By: Keith
Date Posted: August-20-2014 at 12:59am
Steve,
So glad to hear the surgery went well. Know we're all thinking of you and continue to pray for your speedy recovery.

Time to pass on all that skiing heritage to the next generation. Plenty of fun in that! Can't wait to see you back on the water behind the wheel.

-Keith

-------------
Former:
/diaries/details.asp?ID=6170" rel="nofollow - 97 Sport Nautique
1994 Ski Nautique
86 Silver Nautique
79 Mustang

Posted By: uk1979
Date Posted: August-20-2014 at 6:09am
Steve, great to hear your now safe and recovering.

-------------
Lets have a go
56 Starflite
77 SN
78 SN
80 BFN

Date Posted: August-20-2014 at 11:16am
Thanks everybody, I have about 10 minutes that I can tolerate being on the computer. Knowing you guys are all behind me is huge - THANKS!

Joel - I am pretty sure we did everything exactly wrong. I probably should not have climbed out the water, I should not have taken the barefoot suit and heater shirt off, and we had a least 3 collars on board and no one thought about putting one of them on. HW, even had one out and was playing with it...

The days since have been really strange, what works one day to relieve the pain exasperates it the next. All very confusing, and I am being ULTRA ULTRA conservative, I am treating my body like a carton of eggs that have visible cracks in the shells, and I still don't know if that is enough. Won't know much more until I go back to the Dr in early Sept.

-------------
Our http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=4669" rel="nofollow - 98 Sport Nautique
My Dad's 63 Ski N

Posted By: PLBC
Date Posted: August-20-2014 at 12:40pm
Steve, glad to hear you are doing the best you possibly can considering the circumstances. Wishing you a speedy and full recovery. Try not to beat yourself up over your decision to ski, could have happened any time or anywhere.

Although I was there I was not in the same boat. It is a miracle that Steve should come out a okay. As he said, nearly everything was done wrong for whatever reason. Climbing in the boat, taking off gear, climbing out of boat, getting in car and driving himself to the hospital. I guess it is hard to know the severity of the injury at the time unless there is a definitive broken bone or blood, it is also hard to determine the best action at the time.

GET WELL STEVE, I'll try to make it out for a visit soon.

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5164&sort=&pagenum=1" rel="nofollow - 99

Date Posted: August-20-2014 at 1:06pm
Years ago I took an OTF in the course, 100% breaking and displacing a rib. The rib looked cartoonishly broken and could have gone on to puncture a lung, etc. Of course I didn't know how bad the injury was so I got up and skied another entire set! Literally not until I saw the X-ray did I think anything major was wrong at the time. Sometimes it takes quite a while for pain to set in after a major injury, apparently.

-------------
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI

Date Posted: August-20-2014 at 1:11pm
Originally posted by PLBC PLBC wrote:

Climbing in the boat, taking off gear, climbing out of boat, getting in car and driving himself to the hospital.

Nahhhhhhhhh...."It's only a flesh wound!"

-------------
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"

Date Posted: August-20-2014 at 1:24pm
I just want 2 b clr, I insisted on all those bad decisions, everyone else offered 2drve etc.

-------------
My Dad's 63 Ski N

Date Posted: August-20-2014 at 3:39pm
Originally posted by M3Fan M3Fan wrote:

Sometimes it takes quite a while for pain to set in after a major injury, apparently.

Often there is an adrenaline rush from the event that can mask the pain and cloud the judgement. As a former paramedic I will confer that Steve did a few things that were not in his best interests. No doubt he had angels watching over him. Thank you angels!

-------------
1987 Ski Nautique

Posted By: kapla
Date Posted: August-20-2014 at 7:24pm
Steve sorry to hear your mishap. Good you are healing well.

No ski again is terrible, though I guess I prefer that than no walking...

be strong!

-------------
<a href="">1992 ski nautique

Posted By: boardersdad
Date Posted: August-20-2014 at 10:35pm
Ouch, sorry to hear about your injuries. Hope you have a full and speedy recovery!

Date Posted: August-29-2014 at 6:50pm
Hey guys, just another update. I have been off the pain meds since Sunday and the body is starting to return to normal from all the nasty stuff that pain meds do (mainly to the digestive system)...

No pain from any of the back injury, but I had some pretty serious damage done to my tongue, I think it is from trying to get the breathing tube in. Obviously they had to be very careful doing that due to the damage to the spine. Can't believe how much a busted up tongue impacts your ability to eat, talk, etc.

The last challenge seems to be the ability to sleep, most nights, I sleep about 3 hours and lay awake the rest of the time. That is very frustrating, I am hoping that is also related to the pain meds. Had a little bit of a breakthrough last night, so I hope that is the start of the trend.

Can't believe it is two weeks since it happened, it already seems like a long time ago. Really miss getting out on the water, bummed I am not going to get that last boat ride in (usually around the end of Oct) but thankful for all the other gifts I have been given - definitely a small price to pay.

Also getting tired of sitting around twiddling my thumbs anxious to hear what the doc says next week. Building a list of things I need to get done before winter - Thanks in advance for all the offers of help I know you guys will have. I'll update again next week after the doctors visit. Thanks for all the prayers it has resulted in miracles for me, I can't tell you what that means!

-------------
My Dad's 63 Ski N

Date Posted: August-29-2014 at 7:30pm
Great to hear Steve,glad you have a positive outlook. Need help winterizing the boat just holler we could make it a Chicago Beers event!

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=1711&sort=&pagenum=1&yrstart=1966&yrend=1970" rel="nofollow - 69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport

Date Posted: August-29-2014 at 7:31pm
Good news! Keep the faith!

-------------
Js

Posted By: boardersdad
Date Posted: August-29-2014 at 7:38pm
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

...we could make it a Chicago Beers event!

That'd be more of a winner than a Chicago Bears event!

Glad to hear you're coming along well, Steve.

Date Posted: August-29-2014 at 8:55pm
Steve feeling bored is a good sign. You will come through this stronger "mate"

-------------

http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=2999" rel="nofollow - 89 Ski

Posted By: NCH20SKIER
Date Posted: August-30-2014 at 8:42am
Steve, not sure how I missed this earlier on. Certainly we wish you nothing but the best in your recovery.

Al the best,

Greg

-------------
'05 206 Limited
'88 BFN

Posted By: phatsat67
Date Posted: August-30-2014 at 1:26pm
Yup, How are you feeling Steve?

-------------

Posted By: jbear
Date Posted: August-30-2014 at 5:09pm
just went thru here and can't believe I hadn't posted...both to let you know we are thinking of you here and to get the updates.

start planning a little winter trip...get outa the snow and since me and Eddie ski year-round..we could always use another driver. Bring Dad.

john

-------------
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...

Date Posted: August-31-2014 at 1:04am
Great to hear you are starting to bounce back so soon Steve. Bummer about the tongue. Hopefully that will be pretty short lived. Intubating someone with a neck fracture is far from easy. If speech is hard you could always tell people you just got your tongue pierced . Hang in there and keep us updated. I wish I lived closer and could show up for "winterize Steve's boat beers", sounds like fun.

-------------
1987 Ski Nautique

Posted By: Donald80SN
Date Posted: August-31-2014 at 10:42pm
Steve,

Your fast recovery is in my families prayers.

Donald

Posted By: Bri892001
Date Posted: September-01-2014 at 12:25am
Best of luck Steve. Hope you feel better soon.

Date Posted: September-10-2014 at 2:37pm
Guess, it is time for another update. I had my first follow up visit last week. First of all he indicated that I am healing very well. He even gave me a little bit of hope that I could potentially be out of the brace in 3 more months, instead of his initial assessment of 6 months. Trying not to get excited, but that would be aweseome.

He also reviewed the before and after films. We looked at his handy work first, I now have 2 titanium rods on the left and right side of the back of my spine that span 5 vertebrae (C5 to T2). These rods attach to 4 vertebrae with 4 screws of varying lengths per each rod. The interesting thing I found was that all this hardware will provide little "strength" long term but are only there for stabilization while the bone graphs that were added grow and heal. The bone graphs is what will provide the strength long term.

Then he showed us the before pictures. I have to say, I almost got sick. You could see right away how mangled my spine was. EVERYTHING was out of place. One of my vertebrae was displaced by 40% or more (that doesn't leave a lot room for the ol spinal cord). My wife and I were trying to figure out how I managed to displace all those vertebrae as by design the facets pretty much lock them in place. To put it simply, I sheared the facets right off. All VERY scary pictures to look at.

They also took the stitches or staples, I guess, out and my incision was completely healed (one less thing to have to mess with). Doctor told me I "needed" to get back to work as that (keyboarding) would be good therapy for the loss of strength due to nerve damage (he expects that will be a full recovery). He wants me walking, and has given me a few exercises to keep the shoulders somewhat flexible.

So again, I can't thank everyone enough for all the prayers and thoughts. It has HELPED so much. I have very little pain, just an occasional zinger from the back - I was told to expect those. Of course it always itches right where you can't reach it - so that is annoying. It will be another four weeks til I go back again, so won't have much to update til then. Won't be able to drive til the brace come off, so if your up near SE Wisconsin let me know, would love to have you stop by. THANKS AGAIN!!!

-------------
My Dad's 63 Ski N

Date Posted: September-10-2014 at 2:47pm
You should get a second opinion on the back to work part.

-------------

Posted By: 75 Tique
Date Posted: September-10-2014 at 2:48pm
Thanks for the update, Steve. Glad things are coming along. It's scary to think how much damage can be done on a relatively normal forward BF fall. Certainly has to make one think twice. Sadly, I don't have enough sense to slow down, but I think of you every time I suit up, put on my neck brace and before I try anything of other than normal risk. Hopefully that little bit of extra caution will make the difference some day.

Just have to recollect here, your 247 LLBD attempts in the frigid water last fall. Man, I admire your perseverence.

-------------

Date Posted: September-10-2014 at 3:02pm
Great to hear you're ahead of schedule Stevo and thanks for keeping us updated on the progress. Your brothers here are wishing you the best but you already knew that. What ever it is you're doing ...keep it up!

-------------

Date Posted: September-10-2014 at 3:33pm
Definitely echo Larry's sentiments!! Damn, cannot believe how serious it turned out to be and SO happy for you and the family everything is going to be OK. Another reminder of just how fragile life can be!!

If you need any help with whatever let me know, not sure if a plan is in place to get your boat cleaned up, winterized and ready for hibernation, certainly be glad to assist there as well

Take Care and hope to see you soon Steve!!

Posted By: Barracuda
Date Posted: September-10-2014 at 8:05pm
Dang, just saw this thread....scary stuff...
Steve- So Sorry to hear about your accident but so relieved to hear that you are going to pull through quickly.
Rest up and you'll back at it before you know it.

-Brad

-------------
Former:
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=759" rel="nofollow - '86 Nautique
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=507" rel="nofollow - '65 Barracuda

Date Posted: September-10-2014 at 9:43pm
Great news Steve.

Keep healing

-------------

Date Posted: September-11-2014 at 1:06am
Originally posted by 75 Tique 75 Tique wrote:

Just have to recollect here, your 247 LLBD attempts in the frigid water last fall. Man, I admire your perseverence.

I had to laugh at this one...

Glad to hear it is all going as smooth as possible.

Now about that "itch that I can't reach"????

john

-------------
"Loud pipes save lives"

Date Posted: September-11-2014 at 1:09am
Originally posted by 75 Tique 75 Tique wrote:

had to laugh at this one Larry...

sure glad to hear that it is moving along as smooth as possible

now about that "itch I just can't reach"....where?

john

-------------
"Loud pipes save lives"

Date Posted: September-11-2014 at 1:10am
first it wouldn't let me post..now it put it up twice.

dang computers.

john

-------------
"Loud pipes save lives"

Posted By: IAughtNaut
Date Posted: September-11-2014 at 1:43am
Originally posted by jbear jbear wrote:

dang computers.

john
F12 John, always hit F12

Steve, glad things are ahead of schedule, all the best on an even speedier than expected recovery. At this pace maybe they'll be wrong about your skiing too.

-------------
bring the ruckus
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5347" rel="nofollow - 2000 Pro Air

Date Posted: September-12-2014 at 2:12am
I keep trying to follow your advice Adam..but nuthin' happens.

you at Reid's?

john

-------------
"Loud pipes save lives"

Posted By: 63 Skier
Date Posted: September-12-2014 at 9:17pm
Steve, I missed this completely, haven't been on as much lately. Best of luck with the recovery, you'll continue to be ahead of schedule all the way!

And I want to learn to barefoot at 52 ...........

-------------
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique

Posted By: seacamper
Date Posted: September-15-2014 at 8:56am
Wow Steve,
I missed this too. Congrats on all the good news since the event. I am now thinking of taking up barefooting behind a sailboat.
Tom

-------------
1980 Ski Nautique Boat Bar
1988 Mastercraft Tristar Open Bow
1988 Mastercraft Tristar Closed Bow
1969 Seacamper Houseboat
1986 Harris Pontoon
2004 Seadoo GTX SC + Flydive Xboard
1999 Adventurecraft

Posted By: Dreaming
Date Posted: September-15-2014 at 4:49pm
Man Steve, that's a tough break.   Keep up the healing! sounds like you're on the right track.

Date Posted: September-15-2014 at 11:07pm
Originally posted by skutsch skutsch wrote:

Doctor told me I "needed" to get back to work as that (keyboarding) would be good therapy for the loss of strength due to nerve damage (he expects that will be a full recovery).

Steve

Did you tell the doc that there is no need for work, you can get all the ccfan (Keyboarding) therapy you need right at home in your jammies? I am betting your speedy recovery is linked to the conditioning you had from the very activity that injured you. keep up the good work.

-------------
1987 Ski Nautique

Date Posted: October-01-2014 at 7:34pm
Ok guys, time for another update. Had a follow up visit on Monday (it's been six weeks already). So it appears that the healing continues, although it is difficult to see a lot of progress from the x-rays. For the second time, he indicated a 3 month window instead of his original assessment of 6 months so that is positive, but he also warned that it is a wait and see assessment. I go back in 6 weeks. Oh, my doctor came in and now addresses me as "The Indestructible Man" I thought that was pretty funny - he is such an awesome doc!

I did get copies of all my films, so here are some before and after shots. I probably won't leave these up for a real long time.

This first picture is a CAT scan, it shows one of the 3 or 4 fractures that I had on a number of vertebrae.

Remember this is a CAT scan so it represents slices or cross sections of the body. So this also illustrates how I was also able to displace the vertebrae, the fracture is to one of the facets on the spine. These facets act to hold the vertebrae stacked in place. Essentially I sheared these facets off, which allowed the vertebrae to become displaced as shown in this next slice (CAT scan again). This is probably the worst displacement, it is approximately 40% displaced - This is where the Docs, all go, "we can't figure out how you survived this (Miracle 1), let alone walking around (Miracle 2)"

This also is a pretty good visualization of how screwed up my spine was. There should be a little bit of a curve here, but nothing like what you see.

Finally some shots of the post operative work. You can see the rods and screws they have installed to keep everything stable until the bone grows back. Once the bone grows back all those vertebrae will be fused essentially creating a super vertebrae, from T1 to C5.

And this is a front view:

So thats the update, I probably won't leave these pics up here, maybe a week or two. Anyway continuing to get stronger every day. Not much pain anymore, just discomfort from the brace, pressure points from where it hits the head when sleeping, stiff neck, etc, that kind of stuff.

Oh, the gloves are off on the jokes, so have it. Morfoot started it and I have seen a few others. Heck thats part of the fun, still chuckling from "The indestructible man" comment. So lets here 'em! Thanks again for all the support!

-------------
My Dad's 63 Ski N

Date Posted: October-01-2014 at 8:03pm
Impressive Steve and amazing pics.... With all that hardware your carrying I think we should start calling you ......"The Terminator"

Oh the TSA is gonna love you!

Thanks for the update bro. Chin up ....Oh wait.... it already is!

-------------

Date Posted: October-01-2014 at 8:08pm
Originally posted by Morfoot Morfoot wrote:

Thanks for the update bro. Chin up ....Oh wait.... it already is!

Haha, awesome!

Keep up the good work Steve! Great to hear you're recovering well.

-------------

Date Posted: October-01-2014 at 8:18pm
Wow Steve, those are some startling images to look at! Seeing that I can see why the docs think you are made of pretty tough stuff. Continued best wishes on the recovery, glad the pain is under control.

I'm pretty sure with the magnetic field from all that hardware you will throw a perfect pass off by about 2 mph so might have to ride in the back or run the throttle "old school"!

-------------

Date Posted: October-01-2014 at 8:21pm
Nice progress. You can hold your head high! You might need to put a swivel on your drivers seat so you can turn to see your skiers!

-------------
1987 Ski Nautique

Date Posted: October-01-2014 at 9:07pm
Steve great attitude always helps. "It is a little thing that makes a big difference"

I wonder if Pete could source those screws at McMaster Carr

-------------

Date Posted: October-01-2014 at 9:08pm
And are they indexed?

-------------

Posted By: JPASS
Date Posted: October-01-2014 at 9:08pm
Speedy recovery. Amazing how well you held up to such an injury. You are very lucky.

Your nickname should be Duralast.

-------------
'92 Correctcraft Ski Nautique

Date Posted: October-01-2014 at 11:15pm
wow...those were hard to look at...

john

-------------
"Loud pipes save lives"

Date Posted: October-02-2014 at 12:02am
Agree with John,Steve. Glad your feeling better.

-------------
95 Nautique Super Sport

Posted By: GlassSeeker
Date Posted: October-02-2014 at 12:22am
Makes my neck hurt just lookin at it...keep up the super recovery

-------------
This is the life

Posted By: fanofccfan
Date Posted: October-02-2014 at 1:18am
Wow! Glad to hear your getting better. Hope the pace continues for you.

Date Posted: October-02-2014 at 10:06am
Your inside bacerds look a bit discombobulated.

Well look at it this way, could have been much worse, imagine if you would have fallen crotch first we would all be looking at pics of your package

Keep on Keepin on your Rapid Recovery

Date Posted: October-02-2014 at 10:50am
Yet another way to "get screwed". Get well fast!

-------------
Js

Date Posted: October-02-2014 at 2:30pm
HA! These are good ones guys, keep em coming. I am a firm believer that laughter and humor are some of the best secrets to healing.

Oh, and I forgot to mention, I did get clear to fly, so I am actually out on my first business trip. It does not happen without a lot of planning though, have to have someone to carry my bags on both ends etc, arrange for a driver, but it was a pretty critical meeting. Oh and Tim, you were right TSA didn't know what to do with me, despite calling and giving them a heads up. They ended up having to do a pat down and chemical/explosives test on exposed part of the brace.

Lastly, the meeting is in Traverse City, MI - beautiful place by the way, looking forward to bringing the boat up here to explore. But as I pulled into the city limits, I happened upon someone pulling a Black Stripe BFN, first one of those I have ever seen (BLack stripe). So if it was anyone on here, it sure was a welcome site.

-------------
My Dad's 63 Ski N

Date Posted: October-02-2014 at 3:12pm
Steve, my buddy brownie lives up that way, if you have time to goof off while there txt me and I will give you his number. You guys would have quite a bit to talk about, he broke his neck in High School + he is not hitting on all cylinders, lol

Safe Travels

Date Posted: October-02-2014 at 4:59pm
Steve WHEN you do get back to slalom you'll have an advantage as far as keeping the eyes and head level, and upper body quiet! That's one of the hardest parts and now it's built in.

-------------
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI

Posted By: cbdenco
Date Posted: October-03-2014 at 12:31am
Steve, Pretty drastic measures just to get some Halloween decoration pics!

Yup, miracles happen! You proved it!
Wishing you a continued speedy recovery

Date Posted: October-03-2014 at 3:22am
bet you enjoyed the "pat down on exposed parts"....

john

-------------
"Loud pipes save lives"

Date Posted: October-03-2014 at 11:06am
great idea john. can i borrow that brace when you're done with it steve?

-------------

Date Posted: November-10-2014 at 6:02pm
How goes it Steve?

-------------
1987 Ski Nautique

Date Posted: November-10-2014 at 9:13pm
Originally posted by OverMyHead OverMyHead wrote:

How goes it Steve?

Very Timely Dave! I went to the Doc today.

So here is the update: "The healing is going Great" (Doc Rao's assessment). He moved me out of the Minerva brace and into an Aspen brace. The Aspen is less restrictive as it loses the chest and back plate, looks more like your standard neck brace. I can take it off for showers, which I decided meant I could get a hair cut so we went direct from the doctor office to a good friend who is a hairdresser for a VERY carefully planned haircut, man did that feel good to get rid of 3 months of hair...

We are still month to month on returning to driving, so Carmen (Mrs. skutsch) was not too excited about that. We also learned that I would NOT be receiving any therapy and that he anticipates 18 to 24 months of restricted activity. I suspect a lot of that time will be in the brace. He does not want me to try and increase range of motion at all, and just let my neck loosen up naturally with LIMITED use. That was a pretty eye opening indicator as to how bad the injury was and how fragile my neck is and still will be. Carmen, who is an Occupational Therapist, said that is really unusual and indicates that my neck is really F'd up, that was a professional opinion...

So the Doc and I also had a real heart to heart about the definitions and boundaries around "normal activity" when I am cleared to return to those types of things. Water skiing is off the table, way off. I may be able to convince him that surfing is okay, but he was resistive to that. Biking and Swimming are preferable activities. Light weight training might be okay. Snowmobiling is OUT. He also said definitely no running. I should be able to return to flying once I get some range of motion back. Pretty clear that anything that puts me at a risk of fall, or is repetitive pounding is a big No No.

So good to now know what the limits will be when I get there. I would be lying if I didn't say I was a little bit disappointed and I am. I know and realize that it could be a hell of a lot worse. I thank the Lord everyday for the blessings he has given me. I know I am incredibly lucky to be walking around. There is no way ANYONE is going to try and keep me out of a boat, so I look forward to being the driver for anyone, and I especially want to keep teaching anybody that wants to try, how to ski.

So I have a really nice 06 Arctic Cat Crossfire 700 for sale if anyone is interested, the monies from that sale will probably get set a side for a project boat of some kind. Alan's already done the the last available one of a kind CC runabout project, maybe I will have to find a Miamian to restore - HA! Always wanted to build Glen-L Sherwood Queen which is a small 15' Tug/Launch, thought it would be a cool little putt putt to run around the lake after no wake hours, maybe I will go that route.

Back to the Doc in another month, hope to get the release to drive. Thanks again for all the support and prayers. God Bless!!!

-------------
My Dad's 63 Ski N

Posted By: 8122pbrainard
Date Posted: November-10-2014 at 9:25pm
Steve,
I completely missed checking in on this thread and keeping myself informed. I'm glad to hear that you are recovering. The Brainard prayers are with you.

-------------
/diaries/details.asp?ID=1622" rel="nofollow -

54 Atom

/diaries/details.asp?ID=2179" rel="nofollow - 77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: November-10-2014 at 10:59pm
Steve, Thanks for the update. It sounds like you are progressing nicely (answered prayers). I think it is a little early to be pressing your Doc about long term outcomes. As you know you are blessed just to be walking right now. I see why your doc wants to keep you grounded while you heal, after all he knows what you are naturally inclined to do in your spare time. Filling your heads with thoughts of what you will do some day would likely lead to you overdoing it now, which could be disastrous. Remember how he has already adjusted timelines and expectations and assume that will continue. I expect the future activities and limitations you describe are the worst case scenario. Hang in there, be patient, and enjoy the freedom of the new lesser cervical brace.

Dave

-------------
1987 Ski Nautique

Date Posted: November-11-2014 at 10:11am
Glad you can move to a more comfortable brace, and even if the news isn't quite what you hope for at least it gives you guidance so you know what to expect. Bet you can't wait to be able to drive again!

Thanks for the update! How is sleeping these days, and do you deal with pain daily or has that subsided?

-------------

Date Posted: November-11-2014 at 10:46am
Dahhhhhhhhhhhh it's only a flesh wound!

Thanks for the update bro. What about wearing a barefooters neck brace type of support whilst you surf? Guess the doc wasn't privy to that.

-------------

Date Posted: November-11-2014 at 10:59am
Some of use don't snowmobile and it has nothing to do with our necks. I am kind of surprised by the biking recommendation. There are falls, and the ground is usually quite hard. Trick skiing and surfing isn't any riskier than the initial jump into the pool.

Anyway, glad you are able to focus on your healing and with that I'm sure you'll find numerous other enjoyable activities. I have a pink boat that needs engine work and lots of buffing. And a blue one that still needs plenty of fiberglass work...

-------------

Date Posted: November-11-2014 at 12:54pm
I agree with Hollywood, biking seems much riskier than trick skiing or surfing.

Glad to hear you're making progress tho!!!

-------------

Date Posted: November-11-2014 at 1:13pm
Keep your chin up Steve....oh wait, the neck brace is doing that for you

Next summer do some driving & teaching, who knows, by 2016 you may be able to do way more then anyone anticipated, the human body is amazing, let it do it's thing!!

Date Posted: November-12-2014 at 12:33pm
Pete - Thanks a ton, all the prayers have been the secret to the successful recovery!

Dave - I hope your right, but if not I am good with what ever activities I am allowed to return to, it was a bit shocking to understand the timetable is likely 2 years, that was unexpected...

David - you are not kidding on the driving, although I am not sure if it's me or my wife who is more anxious to get me driving, I am NOT a good passenger. Very little pain, more tweaks here and there when I make unusual movements, most of the time its getting in and out of bed. The last two days have brought a lot more muscle pain in the shoulders and shoulder blades. I think those muscles are now having to activate to stablize things that the old brace kept locked in, so that has been annoying, but I feel like that is good pain.

Tim - I think I will be wearing those barefoot neck braces for a LOT of activites going forward, you and I are on the same page!

Kev - every time I am in the barn, I see the pink boat. I have been scheming on a plan... Watch out! Also I seriously want to come down and do some fiberglass work on the Marti, never done that and I think it would be a good skill.

Chris - yeah, I don't get the biking thing either, mentioned this to my wife, and she said - yeah doc doesn't understand your idea of biking is flying through the woods at 20 mph... Will why not, what else would he think???

ChrisQ - can't wait to get behind the wheel again in the boat, I think summer will be good, maybe even a late winter trip down south if I can swing it. I know Eddie and Jbear will let me drive for them, and they have that all the time glass water, so I don't have to worry about the bouncing from the waves, sounds like perfect therapy (mental if nothing else!)

-------------
My Dad's 63 Ski N

Date Posted: November-13-2014 at 2:01pm
I've had some incredibly hard trick skiing falls, at least on 1 trick ski. Those edge grabs can be brutal and if you get caught straightening your knees in any turn or backward you go down incredibly abruptly. So I'd say trick skiing is probably not the best option!

Steve, I think you'll be surprised at how well you heal back up and what you're able to do. Each individual heals differently and has different mechanics. Feedback you're getting is based on averages and a wide range of cases.

-------------
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI

Print Page | Close Window