NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Long road home - Zoe's new 1988 SKi Nautique

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Long road home - Zoe's new 1988 SKi Nautique
    Posted: April-29-2014 at 5:16pm
This may be a novel, but it's a story that starts nearly 10 years ago when my family owned this 1988 Ski Nautique. That boat sold in 2009 but I always hoped I would own an 88 again....

Flashback to 2005....

I was enjoying the last of my care-free summers as a kid skiing as much as possible and racking up hours on our 88, 1900 exactly when I loaded it on the trailer for the last time. I would pick up my younger ski buddy (Nick) from across the lake in hopes that his hott aunt (Zoe), who was a year younger than I and visiting for the summer, would ride along as our spotter.

That's how we spent the better part of three summers- Nick, Zoe and I skiing the heck out of our 88 Ski Nautique. Zoe and I developed a relationship, call it a summer fling, which was always cut short by her going back to college in Oklahoma. We wouldn't realize how much we enjoyed that time together until later in this story....

While on a summer vacation with my ski buddies in 2005 I spotted an identical twin to our family boat. It sat on a lift, covered to the waterline and when we looked under the cover I was shocked to see such a well cared for 2001.

Here's a picture circa 2006 of my buddies holding our family's 88 Ski while I check on our identical twin.

We kept tabs on the identical twin for the next few years on our vacation trips to Delhi. When the Lake Delhi dam broke in 2010, I kept an eye on the area Craigslist in case the boat came up for sale. Sure enough, a few months later the boat re-appeared and I knew just the guy to buy it!

Paul and Jen Sandstrom had been our camping neighbors at Green Lake 2009 and always liked our 88. Paul would tell me how that color 2001 was his dream boat so I knew he would jump at the chance to own this gem. I called Paul immediately after seeing the ad, told him to get on the road and asked that I be his first call if he ever solid it.

Paul and Jenny bought the boat the next day and did a great job caring for the boat over the next few years and were even featured on the CCF Calendar!!

Over the years, Zoe (the hott aunt) and I stayed in touch and in 2012 we rekindled our old fling when she visited again for a family wedding at the beginning of the summer. Instead of fulfilling all her required Bridesmaid duties, She and I spent the long weekend skiing and hanging out on the lake. I quickly remembered how much fun we had together and she realized how much she enjoyed the lake. To top it all off, she told me there was a chance she'd be moving to Iowa for good later that summer. I was fresh out of a 5 year relationship and she was trying to figure out her own situation so things were very respectful, not that they weren't before.

Sure enough, she moved to Iowa that July! Within a few days I think we both knew "this was it" and our official relationship began shortly after. Throw in a few CCFan events and she was hooked. Within a year of her moving to Iowa, almost to the day, we were married!

A week after the wedding Zoe and I took our honeymoon (kidding if she asks, but not really) to Green Lake, WI for the 2013 Green Lake Reunion. While at GL, Zoe and I took a ride down memory lane in Paul and Jenny's beautiful 88 Ski Nautique that I had been keeping tabs on for so many years.

Paul gave me the keys and Zoe and I cruised the Norwegian Bay remembering our younger years. We had a blast that day in such beautiful boat that brought back so many great memories. Later that evening, Zoe told me we would buy the boat if the chance ever presented itself. To top it all off, Paul and Jenny brought home the 2013 Green Lake Best In Class award for the 1980's!

Here's the boat at the Friday night boat show.

Now to the whole point of this post....

A few months back, Jenny informed me they would be selling the 88 this spring. While it wasn't the best timing for Zoe and I with a new baby and house renovation happening, we decided we couldn't pass up the opportunity to own this one!

Zoe stuck to her word that we would buy the boat if the opportunity presented itself and now she officially has her first Correct Craft. Paul and Jenny had the boat water ready for us and left Cable WI at 4am Saturday morning to meet me just south of Minneapolis. I'm sure it was hard for them to part ways with such a beautiful machine but they knew it was going to a good home. They couldn't have made the buying process any easier, so Thanks again to Paul and Jenny!!!!

I had the boat home just after lunch and we headed straight for the ramp for a quick boat ride!

Zoe started earning her stripes as a boat owner the next morning changing the plugs, wires and basic tune up stuff. We racked up 3 hours Sunday morning drinking coffee and idling around the lake....this time as a family.

Now for a few pics!
Maddox inspecting the old plugs as mom installs new ones.

And the boat itself...

Tucked away in the garage with the 78 Tique.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-29-2014 at 5:38pm
Touching. Just as I opened this thread Richard Marx - "Endless Summer Nights" came on the radio...
Smithfamily View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smithfamily Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-29-2014 at 5:59pm
Wow. That's a great story! You are doing a great job taking care of that girl, keep it up! Actually I meant Zoe, but you doing well with the boat too!!
Js
Kristof View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kristof Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-29-2014 at 6:12pm
Beautiful, great, awesome story Chris!!

And congrats to Zoe as a CC-owner that knows her way around a boat and it's engine...

We need more stories like this...

Edit: with your fleet, you should be voted for president of "Team Blue"

- Gun control means: using BOTH hands!
- Money doesn't make one happy, but when it rains cats and dogs, it's still better to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle...

peter1234 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-29-2014 at 6:15pm
one of my favorite stories ever on here .
former skylark owner now a formula but I cant let this place go
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-29-2014 at 6:28pm
Thanks guys! She's very well taken of...both Zoe and the boat!

Not sure how I forgot to include this picture. Maddox helping me change out some hoses last night while Zoe made dinner.

phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-29-2014 at 6:32pm
Clearly that's a boat that just arrived at its forever home because there's no way Maddox will be letting that boat go.

It's interesting the amount of sentimental weight an object can hold in peoples minds.
DHart View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DHart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-29-2014 at 6:39pm
Awesome story Chris, I am a huge fan of the boat! Please tell me you are bringing it east towards the end of August. We need a picture of the BFN and SN together.
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-29-2014 at 7:25pm
Originally posted by DHart DHart wrote:

Awesome story Chris, I am a huge fan of the boat! Please tell me you are bringing it east towards the end of August. We need a picture of the BFN and SN together.

sounds like you better ask Zoe!
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-29-2014 at 8:05pm
Nice story Chris,I'm glad you could make it happen,it always seems everything happens at once! What are Jenny and Paul going to do for their next boat? and how do you guys with more than one boat decide which one is going to a CCF event?
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
dwouncmd View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dwouncmd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-29-2014 at 8:37pm
Cool story. A match made in heaven, all the way around.

I have a green 89 SN and green 78 Tique pair in my garage. I have a long way to go to get the SN to be a pretty as your 88, though my Tique looks OK.
89 SN
<a href="http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=6567&sort=&pagenum=1" rel="nofollow">7
JPASS View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPASS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-29-2014 at 8:40pm
Great story and one sweet boat. Cool that you're both getting your son involved so early.
'92 Correctcraft Ski Nautique
IAughtNaut View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IAughtNaut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-29-2014 at 8:54pm
its too bad Zoe hates me so much, she's turning out to be more and more of a keeper with every story
bring the ruckus
2000 Pro Air
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-29-2014 at 9:24pm
Chris,
Fantastic story. Keep up the good work on preserving the CC's. Plus I see you are keeping Zoe happy. It's great you picked a mate that's into the boating as well. I did too! Over 30 years now for me!

What's the latest on the Chris? PM me if you don't want to post. Did Bottoms Up do a good job?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
OverMyHead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-29-2014 at 10:00pm
Chris, I hate to admit I was so moved your by post, but what a great love story, A pair destined to be together, kept apart by circumstances and then finally reuniting to spend their lives together. Don't get me wrong, yours and Zoe's story is nice too, but you and the '88, that is magic. Congratulations. Had I known you were in town I would have offered to buy you a Minneapolis Beer.
For thousands of years men have felt the irresistible urge to go to sea, and many of them died. Things got better after they invented boats.
1987 Ski Nautique

lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-29-2014 at 10:19pm
Great story and very nice 88 I also admired that boat at GL last year.

Chris you sure have found what it takes for happiness.
If you're going through hell, keep going

89 Ski

<a href="http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5685" ta
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-29-2014 at 10:27pm
Dave, I was thinking the same thing! Calendar pic for sure!

Gary, like Joe said....You ask Zoe! She's extremely excited to get it to a reunion.

Adam, your performance at the Steeler Den canceled out any preconceived notions.

Pete, the Continental is coming along quite nicely just taking a bit more time than expected. We were hoping to have it back for the summer but its looking like late fall would be more realistic. I'll shoot you a PM with the details.
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-29-2014 at 10:31pm
Dave, I was thinking of connecting with ya since I was in the area but it was a pretty quick trip. We're traveling quite a bit so my window to get this thing was pretty small. We'll have to connect later this summer sometime for an Iowa mini or Minneapolis get together!
mann1ba View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mann1ba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-29-2014 at 11:45pm
What a great story. I really was moved.
1986 2001
Chevy350 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chevy350 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-30-2014 at 1:01am
Beautiful boat you have gotten Chris! Great story also!
1972 Mustang
OverMyHead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-30-2014 at 1:04am
Originally posted by storm34 storm34 wrote:

Dave, I was thinking of connecting with ya since I was in the area but it was a pretty quick trip. We're traveling quite a bit so my window to get this thing was pretty small. We'll have to connect later this summer sometime for an Iowa mini or Minneapolis get together!

I would enjoy that. The furthest I typically get into Iowa is to lake Okaboji ( down in mid august this year), but I could make an exception. If you are back up here be sure to let me know.
For thousands of years men have felt the irresistible urge to go to sea, and many of them died. Things got better after they invented boats.
1987 Ski Nautique

Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-30-2014 at 10:27am
Great story and nice boat, Chris. Congrats on the whole deal! You've accomplished a lot.
Mojo View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-30-2014 at 10:54am
Way cool Chris, thanks for sharing. Awesome addition to the Mars' fleet..

So what is Paul and Jen replacing this beauty with?

Moj'
05' SV211 TE
73' Martinique
had:96' SNOB
had:76' Nautique
had 77 Tique

scottb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scottb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-30-2014 at 1:56pm
Very cool story! Who doesn't like hanging out in the boat in your pj's?
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-30-2014 at 2:15pm
Mojo - sounds like the Sandstrom's have their eye on something they can restore in the next few years. I'm sure Paul will be updating us on his new ventures.
Frankenotter View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frankenotter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-30-2014 at 7:12pm
Cool story and an awesome boat. That thing was an eye catcher for sure at green lake last year. The sandsstrom's were very proud of that boat. They must have something big in the works.

Chris, your story should be a hallmark card.

Now that the Mars hanger is getting pretty tight, I thought I'd offer to help you out a little bit by taking that promo off your hands.
1999 Ski Nautique 196
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-01-2014 at 11:02am
Chris & Zoe - I think you have the makings of a 'made for the internet' movie. I hope to get to see your family sometime this summer.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-01-2014 at 11:44am
Originally posted by Frankenotter Frankenotter wrote:

I thought I'd offer to help you out a little bit by taking that promo off your hands.

Get in Line!

Great story Chris thanks for the history on the boat and you and Zoe. Glad she finally has one of her own. Better hope Maddox gets into skiing! How cool would that be? A different boat to ski behind for each day of the week.
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-01-2014 at 11:54am
Originally posted by Morfoot Morfoot wrote:

Originally posted by Frankenotter Frankenotter wrote:

I thought I'd offer to help you out a little bit by taking that promo off your hands.

Get in Line!

Put me down for first dibbs on the pretty blue 2001 Ski
If you're going through hell, keep going

89 Ski

<a href="http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5685" ta
skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-01-2014 at 1:12pm
Good Stuff Chris - you guys are off to a GREAT start! Congrats on the new boat too!!!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic