NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Prop/Shaft problems!!!!!

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
gregr1971 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gregr1971 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Prop/Shaft problems!!!!!
    Posted: March-05-2006 at 8:42pm
Ok heres the deal, got my new acme prop, and i am bound & determind to USE IT!,the problem is the da** prop won't come off! i have heated it ,beat it, and broke 2, YES 2 pullers! WTF! hoew can i get it off? i don't want to pull the prop and shaft together and replace both, someone give me some pointers, i have NEVER had a prop this hard to get off!
By the way, don't use an impact on the oj pullers, they will break and fly all over the place!
skyhawkflyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skyhawkflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-06-2006 at 5:17am
If your using an impact gun on a puller you'll probably break it every time. Mine was stuck a few years back. I put a puller on it, cranked it down tight with a socket (not impact). Tapped on the end bolt with a hammer, tightened a bit more, tapped with a hammer, and it eventually came off after doing this several times. Heating the prop once the puller is installed will help. Just be prepared for when it pops off. It'll startle you.
Munday View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Munday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-06-2006 at 1:35pm
Just like sky said but i suggest striking both sides at the same time when pulling from a tappered shaft.It hard to do with 3 blade prop get as near to opposite side as possible,also leave nut on end of shaft because when it comes loose its gonna be all at once.

Also be sure and coat with never sieze when your putting on new one.

Good luck Munday
gregr1971 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gregr1971 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-06-2006 at 7:13pm
used the impact on 1 puller, tightened the crap out of the other one, even used heat while under tension, no luck, now i have to wait until new puller arrives, and i have done screwed up the prop, guess it is time to pull the sawzall out and remove the prop! i got spring break next week and the kids really want to kneeboard, bummer, i guess i messed that up. any suggestions while i wait on the puller?
nuttyskier2002 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nuttyskier2002 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-06-2006 at 7:36pm
Drop the rudder (you may need to loosen the fuel tank and move it to make this easier) then pull the shaft and prop as an assembly. Take the whole thing to a prop shop. They will get it off for you. I know you said you didn't want to do this, but at this time it looks like it's your only option. You will have to lower the tongue of your trailer as low as possibe and may need to jack the rear as well to clear the ground so the prop and shaft can come all the way out. Pulled mine this way,...prop shop removed the prop in a matter of seconds. They are good!
95 Malibu Echelon w/Mercruiser 350 Magnum Skier

Former boats:
88 Ski Centurion Tru Trac II
59 Chris Craft Capri (woody)
gregr1971 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gregr1971 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-06-2006 at 7:51pm
nuttyskier, that was my next plan, i have a 500 ton pess at work,i WILL get it off, or break it! i notice you have a centurion, i also have an '87 centurion i purchased for 800.00 , i seem to like it, how do you like yours?
skyhawkflyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skyhawkflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-07-2006 at 5:13am
Depending on what type of puller your using repositioning (120 degree increments for 3 blade prop) the puller several times will also help. I have a c-clamp type puller and it doesn't give a very straight pull when you start smoking it down. Sorry, I failed to mention that on my post above. The c-type pullers are basically junk and you have to really work with them to get the job done. These type pullers will also bend the tapered end of your shaft if your not careful, because the more you smoke it down the more off center it gets. If I ever have to pull my Acme prop I'll splurge for the good puller and sell the other on Ebay.
nuttyskier2002 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nuttyskier2002 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-07-2006 at 6:05am
Hi gregr1971,
My Ski Centurion is a fine boat for the money. The steering is a bit stiff, but I've heard this is common with these boats. Also, it rides very rough in anything but smooth water. Other than that, it's a great boat and is very well built,...very solid. No problems yet with flooring or stringers. Did you mean to say you bought yours for $8,000? I paid $6900 for mine 4 years ago with 490 hours on it. Since then I've done numerous upgrades. Be glad to share these with you if you are interested.
95 Malibu Echelon w/Mercruiser 350 Magnum Skier

Former boats:
88 Ski Centurion Tru Trac II
59 Chris Craft Capri (woody)
gregr1971 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gregr1971 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-07-2006 at 11:44am
i bought it for 800.00 cash, nice boat, alot nicer cosmeticly than my 86sn,steers kinda hard to the left,i got this boat from an older gent. ,thought motor was bad, i had a "tap or knock", i offered 800,he told me to get it out of his garage, found the carb.spacer to manifold gasket blown causing an exhuast tick, 3.00 gasket, 1 hr labor, and this thing runs perfect! even got a new sherwood pump, set of primex mufflers, 2-kneeboards, ski's, and a bunch of jackets, pretty good deal, now if the damn prop will come off!
RobG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RobG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-07-2006 at 12:10pm
I thought mine was never going to come off this fall. Cranked the hell out of the puller while heating all around the hub and banging with the hammer. I was just about to give up and decided to just heat the bejeebers out of it...suddenly, bloink! There it was, i think it was a real lot of heat that did it. Sent the prop to Delta to be recondidtioned, came back looking real pretty, can't wait to try it out. Still way cold here in PA.
gregr1971 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gregr1971 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-07-2006 at 12:13pm
that much heat did'nt hurt the strut bearing?
also i noticed that my rudder/propshaft aren't directly in line,looking at the rudder, the shat is just to the left of it???
good or bad? looks fine, just not sure.
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-07-2006 at 12:33pm
the rudder shouldn't be inline with the strut. Try hitting the prop on the side in between the blades and against the hub area towards the back end, use a zip gun if you have one, and do this on both sides and while the puller is under load. Tighten pull by hand and don't use an impact on it.

You can melt the strut bushings if use to much heat and get the shaft hot, which isn't going to help you, you only want to heat the prop. You will get some heat transfer to shaft but not enough to worry about so pay attaintion to where you are heating and make sure it's as even as possible all around the prop in other words don't heat it in one spot only, keep the torch moving around the prop's hub area and as much of the flame off of the shaft as possible.
JEFF KOSTIS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JEFF KOSTIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-07-2006 at 7:14pm
    I agree with 79. Heat only the prop as this will cause it to expand. Try to keep the shaft as cool as possible so it wont expand. Quick heat (hot flame) works best, small slow heat gives time for the heat to transfer to the shaft. Propane torch isnt hot enough. Good luck!!
                            Jeff...
RobG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RobG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-09-2006 at 6:31am
I was careful to just heat the prop hub. I was using a little bernzomatic torch, maybe that's why it took so long!?
64 Skier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 64 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-09-2006 at 6:59am
A "rosebud" (not a cutting torch) (oxy acetylene rig)that will turn the prop red in the area that it strikes in a few seconds is what you heat with. Heat one side then move on to the other and in less than a minute your ready for action. Quite often you can tap the thing off with a hammer after doing this.
64 Skier
66" HO VTX and 67" HO Triumph
71CC
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-09-2006 at 11:17am
a plumber's torch isn't going to produce the heat needed you need a O2, acteline set-up to get-r-done.
gregr1971 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gregr1971 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-09-2006 at 3:19pm
i am going to heat it 'till it melts off, i am tired of messing with it! this dang thing wont budge!
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JEFF KOSTIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-09-2006 at 7:30pm
   Absolute worst case where your prop is trash anyway is to cut off a blade from the prop, and use a thin grinding wheel on edge to cut a slit in the prop where the keyway is so you wont nick the shaft.

Jeff....
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-09-2006 at 8:43pm
Hey Guys, This prop problem sounds extreme but does anyone use an anti seize compound when installing a new prop. I never have but wondering if that would be worth doing.
gregr1971 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gregr1971 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-09-2006 at 9:13pm
yea, i could cut it, but i'm sure someone might need one to get back on the water, and good ole' Greg could come to their rescue, gonna try and hook up with 882001 and get it off,if not, gonna pull the shaft and rudder, and take it to work, heat the crap out of it, and put the 500 ton press on it, i might go ahead and do that as to not damage the prop any further, it is a federal 13x13x1 cup, i have an acme and an oj, i beleive both of these are better than the federal??
Rick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-12-2006 at 9:04pm
I always grease the shaft before installing the prop. The key and nut will always hold it on and with the grease they slide right off. In fact my OJ puller came with a little cup of red grease.
gregr1971 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gregr1971 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-13-2006 at 7:24pm
you guy's will not believe this!   i got my puller today, went out to my boat was putting the puller on, and i bumped the prop while putting it on, the da** prop popped loose, now this is some crap, i fought for 3 days trying to get it off, and then just when i am about to give up..... it falls off????
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JEFF KOSTIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-13-2006 at 7:31pm
    Sounds like you might need another cold one!!
    Glad to see it off!
                                Jeff....
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-13-2006 at 7:43pm
Karma. BKH
Livin' the Dream

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-14-2006 at 8:15am
just remember when you put it back on don't use the impact wrench
gregr1971 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gregr1971 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-14-2006 at 3:08pm
too late!!!   just kiding!
ultrahots View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ultrahots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-19-2006 at 12:20am
Anti Seize works great.When i sold my 79 the prop was not included.All it took was a quick shot with a brass punch to get it off.The guy who was picking up the boat was shocked at how easy it came off.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic