NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1950 CC Junior Utility Restoration

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12345 11>
Author
juniorwoody View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote juniorwoody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2011 at 8:01pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Jack,
What are you planning on doing with the chewed up ply hull sides where it meets the stem. Hopefully you're not just planning on covering it up with a cutwater - That Junior never came with one and that wouldn't be very original!! I suggest seeing how far you would need to cut the ply back and then rebuild the stem (and deck) accordingly. No one is going to get a tape measure out to see if the hull is 3/4" shorter than it should be (CC never got them that close anyway! ) plus you do not want to get into scarfing new ply together for the hull sides.

Pete, thanks for your guidance. You have given me confidence in the roll over. I was contemplating scarfing a little ply in but am worried about doing that on a curve. Another one of those problems that needs to be hashed out. Since it is all paint grade in that area I believe, I might just skim coat the stuff that's still sound and splintered on the surface. Not sure.

Found a nice stick of douglas fir today    More on that to come. It is now sitting on the workbench.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2011 at 8:44pm
Originally posted by juniorwoody juniorwoody wrote:

I was contemplating scarfing a little ply in .

Jack,
You may be a great woodworker but maybe not thinking too much about the scarfing of modern day ply and the problems it creates with finishing. Today's plys have at best a 1/64" face veneer - you have NO room for sanding!!!! (the old plys came in to the boat builders with over 1/8" mahogany faces!!) If you scarf join the "new" plys with any adhesive (epoxy is my choice) any surplus on the face will seal that surface preventing you from doing ANY grain fill and stain. What needs to be done if you must reskin a ply boat and scarf with ply is to pre fill, stain and pre finish the ply with a couple coats of varnish, cut the scarf, make the joint with the epoxy, wipe off the excess off the sealed surface and go from their. You had better have a BIG fixturing table set up for the cutting of the actual scarf as well as the gluing/clamping since the procedure needs to be PRECISE!!

Sorry but I'm now questioning your woodworking skills or at least you finishing skills???? YOU MUST think the whole process though from start to finish!! Cut the ply back and make the stem to fit!! Please fill us in on your ACTUAL skills!!!

I still feel (as well as Al) That you are making a big mistake with not pulling that ply skin.!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote juniorwoody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-12-2011 at 1:02am
"Sorry but I'm now questioning your woodworking skills or at least you finishing skills???? YOU MUST think the whole process though from start to finish!! Cut the ply back and make the stem to fit!! Please fill us in on your ACTUAL skills!!!"

....regarding my skill set sir it would behoove all contributors to bring to the table a liberal offering of diplomacy a quality I find myself in want of in your last entry.

With no desire to create a great debate I can't help but note I find it appalling that you would suggest a drastic alteration which changes the very profile of the vessel as an alternate to a well executed repair.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote juniorwoody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-12-2011 at 1:10am

The old stringers have been removed and the new are in the works.
dip View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-12-2011 at 2:17am
Jack,
Please keep posting your project. Don't let an arrogant, condescending SOB keep the rest of us from seeing your progress. I'm looking forward to seeing your skills exhibited. One day I hope to tackle a similar project with my kids.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-12-2011 at 9:03am

....regarding my skill set sir it would behoove all contributors to bring to the table a liberal offering of diplomacy a quality I find myself in want of in your last entry.

With no desire to create a great debate I can't help but note I find it appalling that you would suggest a drastic alteration which changes the very profile of the vessel as an alternate to a well executed repair.

Jack,
Sorry but sometimes diplomacy is hard to convey in words. I do have that problem at times and I know everyone has. I really was not questioning your woodworking skills but also please understand that we have not seen any proof of that skill level yet. I feel I have.

Again, the point I was trying to make is fininshing the scarf joint with the problem of excess adhesive on the face veneer. You are corrrect that the scarf is easy for any good woodworker. I actually made a router sled and guides for panel scarfing since they are not available commercially.

Please keep the pictures coming and again, I'm sorry for what I beleive to be a misunderstanding of my intent.

You will find that I'm probably the biggest "keep it original" member here but, do not feel cutting back the ply at the stem roughly 3/4" and trimming down the forward frame a little will create a "drastic alteration". Tell us more about your thoughts on the repair.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-12-2011 at 9:07am
Originally posted by dip dip wrote:

Jack,
Don't let an arrogant, condescending SOB

Darren,
Was this directed to me????

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote juniorwoody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-12-2011 at 11:27am

Jack,
Please keep posting your project. Don't let an arrogant, condescending SOB keep the rest of us from seeing your progress. I'm looking forward to seeing your skills exhibited. One day I hope to tackle a similar project with my kids.

hi dap, there is no greater reward than working on a project with your child. I always marvel at the aptitude they develop over the years and getting to enjoy the final outcome together is an added bonus. My son and I have rebuilt a couple old tractors and last year installed a new floor in his Nautique. We share the same enthusiasm for wood boats, specially the models not so coveted by the elitists. I don't wear starched shirts either. Will be posting pics as we progress and I thank you for your interest.

Jack
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote juniorwoody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-12-2011 at 11:36am
Hi Pete, Currently I have no more thoughts on repairing the plywood in the bow area. My attention is directed at the stringers. I do want you to note that repairs made in an area that is to be painted are much more forgiving that areas that need to be clear finished. In the case of painted areas, and as long as they can be made to have structural integrity, leveling off the area can be accomplished by various means such as bondo, wood fillers and even epoxy and fiberglass cloth. I have made reproduction furniture and my creed is to stick to detail and dimension. If not, the flavor of the piece becomes diminished.
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-12-2011 at 11:39am
Hey Jack. A number of us are looking forward to seeing your handiwork. I'm a shadetree wordworker myself and enjoy seeing how others do their magic. Make sure to include pics of any shop built jigs you use.

And please try not to take Pete the wrong way. He only means to help. My guess is that if yall ever swapped a story over a beer, you'd both be looking forward to the next time. Heck, I'd even let him use my front door.
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-12-2011 at 11:55am
Originally posted by BuffaloBFN BuffaloBFN wrote:

And please try not to take Pete the wrong way. He only means to help. My guess is that if yall ever swapped a story over a beer, you'd both be looking forward to the next time. Heck, I'd even let him use my front door.

Yep and if there's something he doesn't know the answer to he will find it. He's helped me out on projects far beyond these boats most recently trouble shooting electrical problems on some equipment at work after a power surge from storms. You can not put a price on this guy's knowledge and willingness to share it. That said Jack, he doesn't beat around the bush when he has an opinion either but I think you've wise enough to see it for what it is. Enjoy the project and keep us up to date, these threads are very enjoyable to watch unfold.

Dip, Pete's a good guy, if you meet him in person you'd know instantly where he's coming from. That's what the reunions are for, I believe we met at Lake George a few years ago.
dip View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-12-2011 at 12:27pm
Pete, I apologize. I came home grouchy from a long day and I took your comment too harshly. I have things I'm very good at, things I'm okay at and things I'm downright bad at but I'd never question someone else's ability or degrade their skills, even if they were questionable (not that I'm suggesting that here). I do appreciate the obvious experience and perspective you bring.
Jack, I made my living as a furniture maker for a decade. I will be particularly interested to hear how your skills apply to a boat project. Woodworking has many, many specialties and being a master at one or two doesn't make one even a novice at another. It's precisely the ability to learn another set of skills using the same tools I look forward to. That plus I hope it helps my kids connect to boating as passionately as I have, which I credit my grandfather for.
Hope y'all have a good day. And I do hope to make more reunions
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-12-2011 at 7:32pm

Pete, I apologize. I came home grouchy from a long day and I took your comment too harshly.

Darren,
Accepted and really appreciated. Thanks big time!! I too certainly have taken offence at some posts completely misunderstanding the members true intent. It just happens!

So, a furniture maker. You MUST tell us more!! I'm very curious and interested! To avoid a highjack of Jack's thread, how about filling us in with a thread in the "off topic" section. Don't forget we love pictures!!   

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-12-2011 at 7:44pm

I do want you to note that repairs made in an area that is to be painted are much more forgiving that areas that need to be clear finished. In the case of painted areas, and as long as they can be made to have structural integrity, leveling off the area can be accomplished by various means such as bondo, wood fillers and even epoxy and fiberglass cloth.

Jack,
Absolutely a painted hull is pretty easy to fair however, you have a bright hull which makes repair more difficult. You hopefully aren't thinking about paint are you?

Any fairing under paint or on the bottom, stick with epoxy and the needed filler. Bondo is a polyester and is hygroscopic. You don't want it with wood. Also, stay with the 5200 system and not a "west" bottom if you do decide to tear into the hull that far. The "West" bottoms are failing big time!! It should have never been used for wood boat repair. It just doesn't flex enough and our old hulls do flex plenty!! I made the mistake on my 54 and there are a couple areas where I do see hairline cracking. The epoxy system when it came out was "easy" but really designed for veneer cold molding a hull. Many fell into the "trap"!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote juniorwoody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-14-2011 at 9:32pm
"Hey Jack. A number of us are looking forward to seeing your handiwork. I'm a shadetree wordworker myself and enjoy seeing how others do their magic. Make sure to include pics of any shop built jigs you use."

Hi Buffalo, Don't worry, I plan to take lots of pictures as I go and I will share anything I may have of value or ideas on fixing up this old gal. I will also remain humble and look to those who have traveled before me to guide.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote juniorwoody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-14-2011 at 9:37pm
"You can not put a price on this guy's knowledge and willingness to share it. That said Jack, he doesn't beat around the bush when he has an opinion either but I think you've wise enough to see it for what it is. Enjoy the project and keep us up to date, these threads are very enjoyable to watch unfold."

Hey 81Nautique, The threads are interesting and informative only with the interaction from other members like those I have been fortunate enough to have heard from. Certainly a good deal of the fun is in the posting and sharing.

Jack
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote juniorwoody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-14-2011 at 9:46pm

I do want you to note that repairs made in an area that is to be painted are much more forgiving that areas that need to be clear finished. In the case of painted areas, and as long as they can be made to have structural integrity, leveling off the area can be accomplished by various means such as bondo, wood fillers and even epoxy and fiberglass cloth.

Jack,
Absolutely a painted hull is pretty easy to fair however, you have a bright hull which makes repair more difficult. You hopefully aren't thinking about paint are you?

Any fairing under paint or on the bottom, stick with epoxy and the needed filler. Bondo is a polyester and is hygroscopic. You don't want it with wood. Also, stay with the 5200 system and not a "west" bottom if you do decide to tear into the hull that far. The "West" bottoms are failing big time!! It should have never been used for wood boat repair. It just doesn't flex enough and our old hulls do flex plenty!! I made the mistake on my 54 and there are a couple areas where I do see hairline cracking. The epoxy system when it came out was "easy" but really designed for veneer cold molding a hull. Many fell into the "trap"!!

Hello Pete, I can see we need to get me educated more before the hull repairs. Not sure what the 5200 system but I believe you that it is the one to use. I have dug up as much as I can on the early 50 and late 40 CC Juniors and haven't really been able to determine definitively just what the finish schedule was for my boat. It has had a painted section of the bow for some time which terminates and the clear bright work continues. If you can say for sure what the final look was please share.

Thanks,

Jack
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-14-2011 at 9:53pm
Jack,
Keep the pictures coming! Did you decide on a wood species yet? purchased?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-14-2011 at 10:04pm
Jack,
The pictures you posted didn't show any paint on the hull sides forward and to my knowledge none of the juniors had "half and half" jobs. They were ether painted or most came through from the factory bright. If, there is paint forward, I'd say it's a cover up from a PO.

BTW, if you need to quote someone on a previous post, click on the "quote" at the top of the post and it will do all the needed stuff automatically!!   

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote juniorwoody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-14-2011 at 10:22pm
This weekend progress was made toward the stringer replacement. Started carving into that very nice, virgin growth douglas fir plank I picked up on Friday. They had my choice of Sitka, mahogany, wh oak or d fir. The fir was the most affordable and came highly recommended here so it was a no brainer.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote juniorwoody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2011 at 1:38am

Jack,
The pictures you posted didn't show any paint on the hull sides forward and to my knowledge none of the juniors had "half and half" jobs. They were ether painted or most came through from the factory bright. If, there is paint forward, I'd say it's a cover up from a PO.

BTW, if you need to quote someone on a previous post, click on the "quote" at the top of the post and it will do all the needed stuff automatically!!   

Good Evening Pete, When we get to the paint and stem repair I will give some detailed pics. There has been paint on the boat in the past. Blue residuals and white has been stripped off the bow ares where there was a slight serpentine painted area. It's quite likely the boat as you think came through from the factory as bright above the water line. If so I need to decide how important that is to me that I would consider buying new plywood for the hull. Question if that would yield an end result worth the expense and labor. First I intend to keep getting myself committed till the point of no return before someone tells me to scrap the project.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote juniorwoody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2011 at 1:47am

Today I removed, cleaned and reinstalled half the mahogany triangular gussets and prepped the two stringers for the final fit. Ten years storage in an airplane hanger has left her high and dry. A pleasure to work on.
lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2011 at 1:56am
Jack loving the pictures just wish they were a bit bigger. When you resize them 640 X 480 pixels is a good size for this forum. Also check out your camera as you may be able to lower the resolution down to 640 X 480 and then there is no need to resize before posting.
If you're going through hell, keep going

89 Ski

<a href="http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5685" ta
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote juniorwoody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2011 at 2:08am
Originally posted by lewy2001 lewy2001 wrote:

Jack loving the pictures just wish they were a bit bigger. When you resize them 640 X 480 pixels is a good size for this forum. Also check out your camera as you may be able to lower the resolution down to 640 X 480 and then there is no need to resize before posting.

thanks, i will work on getting the optimum size. noticed the detail was a bit lacking.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2011 at 8:30am
Jack,
Considering your Junior is a 1950, I'd say it was bright from the factory. Later years is when paint would have been more prevalent.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Swatkinz View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Swatkinz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2011 at 10:38am

They were ether painted or most came through from the factory bright.

What do you mean by "bright?"
Steve
2011 Sport/Air 200
Excalibur 343
2017 Boatmate Tandem Axle Trailer

Former CC owner (77, 80, 95, 88, all SNs)

Former Malibu owner (07, 09)
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2011 at 11:14am
Originally posted by Swatkinz Swatkinz wrote:

They were ether painted or most came through from the factory bright.

What do you mean by "bright?"

Stained and varnished as opposed to painted.

Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote juniorwoody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2011 at 12:00pm

Jack,
Considering your Junior is a 1950, I'd say it was bright from the factory. Later years is when paint would have been more prevalent.

To be sure the information on finishes seems to be lacking. History has escaped our records on that one. I really can't find much mention of my boat at all. This may be one area where the decision is made in favor of the boat reconditioner and considering what there is to work with. I do not plan on buying new ply for the hull at this point.
Chopper View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2011 at 1:50am

This may be one area where the decision is made in favor of the boat reconditioner and considering what there is to work with.

Subject to Pete's approval
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote juniorwoody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-18-2011 at 12:10am

Jack,

Hi Pete, I have contemplating the possibility of making a larger or wider stem that would allow me to trim some bad plywood without altering the boat length. Ever seen that done?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12345 11>
  Share Topic