NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Boating memories with Dad

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1234 7>
Author
tullfooter View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tullfooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-22-2007 at 1:40pm
Hi Guys, good thread

I too, lost my dad about three years ago.
He moved the family to a lake when I was 5 years old. He was not very fond of being IN the water, but he loved being ON the water. We grew up with a 1972 I/O Evinrude and my dad did anything to make sure the boat was running. He named the boat "AJOB". That was so when people would call, my mom or my brothers could tell the person, "he's out on a job". My dad could never tell a lie.
10 years ago, when I was thinking of moving he said one thing. Move on to a lake, whatever it takes. They are always building golf courses to live on, but they're not building too many new lakes. He was a smart man.
I wish I could take my dad cruising in the BFN and I know my brother would love to do the same in his MC, but we know he is with us (and there are times when I hope he's watching my brothers and not me).
My love for boating, skiing, and being on the water stems directly from my dads early decisions and his love for the water. And this is being passed on to my boys by me and my wife.
There is no place I'd rather be than in the boat or behind the boat. And there will always be a seat for you Dad.
Steve

Play hard, life's not a trial run.
'85 BFN
'90 BFN

White Lake, Michigan

boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-22-2007 at 2:34pm
Steve,some very profound words there.At 53 one day I awoke to find I had become my DAD.The morals ,values and scruples that I rebelled so hard against are the same ones I hold onto now.
I too lost my Dad 2 yrs.ago in July,the hills just got too tall to climb anymore.We fought for the first 25 and hunted and loved the last 25,these were the best years of my life.It takes what it takes to get us where we are at today......
Ain't God great and Life good...boat dr.   
cboland View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cboland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-22-2007 at 2:50pm
What a great thread. I lost my dad in a car accident when I was 7 years old and while my memories of him are limited, those that I do hold are almost all of time spent on the water.

Of the few items I have to remember him by, I do have probably his favorite. He was a lover of the old wooden boats. He bought this boat a few years before his death and was never able to finish restoring it. After many years of work, I have finally brought it to its full glory in honor of him. Even though it's not a Correct Craft, I couldn't ask for a better way to remember him.
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-22-2007 at 3:20pm
cboland, welcome to site.Dad would be proud of you and the resto.
I was told by an old sailor,If You Cut A Tree And Build A Boat From It ,THE TREE NEVER DIES.And from what I see and hear your Dad is still ALIVE TOO......Great story/Cool Boat
              boat dr
Root View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Root Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-22-2007 at 8:52pm
BKH     he already had plans with my mom, but we are going this sunday for shure.
He has called several times and been by my work letting me know how excited he is about going in the boat.

Been so busy doing my own things,   didnt realize how good it makes him feel with me asking him to come do stuff with the me and the boys. Im gona try to keep him involed with our stuff,     "cause you never know".

Thanks for the wakeup call....
RootRacing
cboland View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cboland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-23-2007 at 3:21pm
Boat Dr, thanks for the kind words. Your quote could not be more true. When somebody sank the boat a few days after I completed the FIRST restoration, I needed somebody/something to pick me up and continue on. No doubt dad was there for the next 3 years helping me along.
JCole View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JCole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-14-2007 at 12:13am
      I love reading the stories of the times with our dads on the water with the CC's. I had to add my story and picture. My dad bought this CC in 1971 and he and my mom learned to ski and then he taught my brother and I. What memories we have on Lake Tillery in NC and at White Lake, NC skiing and making sweet memories. My children and my brother's daughter have all learned to ski behind this boat. My children also wakeboard behind this boat. My niece loves to kneeboard and tube behind this boat. My dad would take this boat to the store near our lake house to fill up with gas, and he would always draw a crowd. We would be waiting to go to the water, but my dad had to talk about his boat first. My dad and mom gave us great memories, that now I hope my brother and I are passing down to our families. I know my dad is smiling from heaven, and glad we are still using his Mustang. Please keep these memories coming. I love to read them. Happy boating!!
Jane
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-14-2007 at 12:23am
Very nice Jane. Thanks for sharing your story and your picture. BKH
Livin' the Dream

The Lake View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Lake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-14-2007 at 12:26am
Jane,

That story made my night. We don't always get it right as parents, we carry a bit of brokeness around with us, but we can, regardless of our present circumstances help build "the story" in the lives of others.

No doubt you are continuing a wonderful tradition.

(Thanks again Brian for starting this thread.)

Chuck
Walk on Water
www.coldwater.me

69 Ski Nautique
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-14-2007 at 12:53am
Jane: Thanks for the picture to go with the story I have already enjoyed. One of the high points of the Reunion was meeting you and your family. Bet your Dad was smiling down, watching you walk around meeting people that he would have loved to talk to. Wasn't it great going there and having people who had never met you know who you were? Neat place and neat people we have here.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
87BFN owner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-14-2007 at 1:02am
First off I would like to give my best wishes to all the members here that no longer have there dad's with them. The stories you guys have shared have all been great ones.

I am lucky enough to still have my dad with me and I am still learning from him which it a blessing in itself. My favorite memory of skiing with him was;

My cousin and I were about 5 years old and My dad had a 78 SN. On the week ends that we went skiing we would always get to ride the trick skiis with him. He would put me up on his shoulders and my cousin would ride on the skiis in front of my dad. Of course he would always spread the skiis apart a bit so we could put our feet in the water while skiing so we could pretend like we knew how to barefoot. Those were great times, my cousin and I still talk about doing this from time to time.
Now through the help of the guys here at this site My borther and I now know how to foot. I can not wait until next year when my dad will be able to foot with us. As over the past two years he hurt both of his shoulders and it would just hurt to much to foot or ski. So I promised I would work out with him over the winter and we will both get in better shape together, so we can all foot next summer. That will be a dream come true, to be able to foot next to my dad.
tullfooter View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tullfooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-14-2007 at 1:30am
That would be way cool. Can't wait for the pics.
I don't know if my two sons get the same rush as I do, but this year, I footed side by side with both of them in a six man barefoot line. I was very proud of them, especially the fact that they ran at 42mph.
Hopefully we are creating stories that they will be posting years from now, when they own their classic 2007 Air Nautiques.
Lefty
Play hard, life's not a trial run.
'85 BFN
'90 BFN

White Lake, Michigan

jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-14-2007 at 1:39am
Lefty; When your guys are posting "years from now" I hope their link is to their Dad's BFN that they are still using.

Got pics?

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

JCole View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JCole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-14-2007 at 1:39am
Thanks again guys for your stories and compliments. Jbear, you are right. There are great people on here who have great stories and friendships to talk about. The reunion was great. When Mr. Meloon started his business years ago, I am sure he never dreamed of having a "Family" like this who would be so devoted to his product. He is the one who started all these memories for the rest of us. We are all truly blessed. Keep these stories coming. They are all such an inspiration.
Jane
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-14-2007 at 1:45am
Nice to see you posting Jane...not just lurking...not many ladies on here. I think only BlondieGurl posts reguarly. You met her..MM's girlfriend.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

JCole View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JCole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-14-2007 at 1:50am
I don't remember meeting her. I remember you, Mrs. Jbear, Eddie, and MM, but I don't remember getting to meet Blondiegirl. I have seen her on the site, but I don't think I got the opportunity to meet her. Hopefully at the next reunion I will get the pleasure. We are going to try and go out this weekend and enjoy the water here in NC. Maybe since I am learning how to do this photobucket thing, I can post more pictures later.
Jane
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-14-2007 at 1:56am
You know we love pictures here.

Have a fun..safe time!

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-14-2007 at 2:06am
now that's a newbie with class way to start off?

yea kiss me ass the rest of you sob's,

they know how to make an interduction, better than brownies standup last year reguardless. sh*t where's the spell check
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-15-2007 at 11:13pm
I started this thread in recognition of the Fathers. But for me, my Mom played a big part in my life on the water. Today marks 10 years since she passed away.

Mom was the one who took me to swimming lessons beginning before I was a year old. She carted me to practice and meets, and waterpolo games for 16 years.

I was lucky enough to grow up in a home on the water. The only home my parents ever owned. However, it was a small house, and by the time the 4th kid came along when I was 13, things were getting pretty crowded. My parents talked about moving away to a bigger house. It was my Mom who vetoed the move. Mom said if we moved away from the water, we'd never get back. She was right.

My brother, that "4th kid," still lives in their home. Every now and then he'll meet someone who will tell him about my parents skiing escapades which happened long before he was born.

Thanks Mom. I miss you.

BKH
Livin' the Dream

reidp View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reidp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-15-2007 at 11:44pm
Brian, I'm sorry your mom's no longer here with you and I'm sure you miss her, esp with her nautical influence on you. Ironically today is my mom's 76th birthday. Laurie and I called and wished her a happy one this morning.

And Guys, I met Jane Cole before any of you did, and she's cool. So there! (Mature, huh?)
Jane, like John said it's good to see and hear you join in. I'm sure you won't be as fanatical as many of us here, but we like to know you're out there. I want to come see you guys on Tillery before too long also. Tell your brother and mom and all that came to visit us, that I said hi, and I hope the ski pole is working OK.      
ReidP
1973 Mustang

quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-16-2007 at 1:49am
Brian,

I am so fortunate to still have both my parents, just celebrated thier 48th wedding anniversery on Wednesday, Wow! Now thier primary focus is how to get thier Grankid's to mess with thier parents world, kind of like the time My Grandpa, Quintin Quincy Quinn, came to visit us Grandkid's at our Lake house, right as he and G'ma were leaving he opened his trunk and handed out 7 drums, one for each Grandkid, you can only imagine what (7) 5-10yr old's did with those drums in a small cabin, sweet revenge!

OBXSki View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OBXSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-16-2007 at 3:34am
Thanks for all the thoughtful stories. They are great.

Shortly before my granddad died (auto accident, not bad health), he went skiing with us at the age of about 70 (behind my '76SN). He had a tough time getting up, but did for a short while. He was plenty strong, but just did not have the "feel / coordination" for it anymore. My dad, 68, got up on two a couple of weeks ago (behind the '94SN) and dropped one. Stayed up, but got tired pretty quickly. It was a tangible sign that he was getting older. It seems like only yesterday that he taught me to slalom on a boat paddle and this little 18" ski called a Ski Skat (the spray was incredible), but it was 35 years ago.

The water has provided my family with our best memories. Now my kids are skiing and wakeboarding. I still have the Ski Skat and can't wait to teach them all about it. Hopefully, my dad will see it with me.

OBXski
'76SN
'94SN
JCole View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JCole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-17-2007 at 9:46pm
All these stories are great. We just spent the weekend at the lake with my family, my brother and his daughter and my MOM. All of you guys are right, moms and dads are the greatest. My mom was and still is always there when we are enjoying the water. She use to slalom (she and I use to do it together), but unfortunately due to her arthritis, she had to give it up, but she has not given up watching us play. She still swims with us, and we enjoy that too. It was great hearing from Reid. Hope your mom had a wonderful birthday. The ski pole is working great. Jeff and I were just commenting over the weekend how we have enjoyed that pole. Thanks again for your help and generosity. Jeff is going to do some work on the Mustang this winter, and he may be in contact with you sometime this winter to get your advice on some things. You are the expert. I have heard that definitely on this forum. We enjoyed meeting JBear, Mrs. JBear, Eddie, and MaddMarxx in Orlando. We missed you and Laurie. Maybe next year. We definitely want you to come visit us sometime at Tillery. Thanks again guys for all these memories. Keep them coming. They all make my day.
Jane
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-18-2007 at 12:17pm
I told my story in the second post of this thread so I won't retell it. After my Dad died and we were cleaning up the house I found this photo from about 1963ish, around the year he taught me to ski. Not too many pictures of us boating together, but at least I have this one of us hangin' out on the dock. It now resides on my dresser, a constant reminder of the great years on the lake.
jon4pres View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jon4pres Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-18-2007 at 6:42pm
I have been reading this thread since it was started. It makes me teary eyed every time.

We never had a boat when I was a kid. We had a lot of other toys but no boat. When I went to college my dad gave me some money to buy a house, which I did. Then when I graduated I sold the house and with some of the left over money I bought my 82 2001. Dad went with me to look at it and pick it up, the whole time thinking I was probably making a mistake. Now he absolutly loves the boat. It was definetly not the best financial decision but getting to ski beside my parents is priceless. We have some great memories in the short time I have owned the Nautique.

One of the best things that happened was replacing the stingers. While this was a horrible job, I will always cherish the time that dad was there to help me. Nothing brings a family together like a project.

Here are a couple of pictures from this summer. One of dad and me and the other of Mom and me. You can not even believe how excited she was to get to ski with me.

82 2001

jon4pres@gmail.com
Fort Scott Kansas
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-19-2007 at 7:35am
Originally posted by 75 Tique 75 Tique wrote:

I told my story in the second post of this thread so I won't retell it. After my Dad died and we were cleaning up the house I found this photo from about 1963ish, around the year he taught me to ski. Not too many pictures of us boating together, but at least I have this one of us hangin' out on the dock. It now resides on my dresser, a constant reminder of the great years on the lake.

You have got to love the era of white socks and black loafers!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-19-2007 at 11:20am
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

You have got to love the era of white socks and black loafers!!

And the Ken Spurling signature shorts
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-19-2007 at 12:15pm
You know guy's I think the PLBC boy's are trying to re launch that particular look! All this Dad talk is great, I particularly enjoy skiing & footin and being challenged by some of these punk kids like Hollywood, Johnny, PLBC, etal as I am old enough to be their Dad, Bring It Boy's!!
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-19-2007 at 12:26pm
CQ, Sunday is going to be a blast. We've got 10 so far with another half dozen "maybes". Chances are you won't be the oldest skier, still a huge chunk of 'Nuts that might show up. Bring that blue boat with the speakers that does 39!
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-19-2007 at 12:41pm
Originally posted by quinner quinner wrote:

You know guy's I think the PLBC boy's are trying to re launch that particular look! All this Dad talk is great, I particularly enjoy skiing & footin and being challenged by some of these punk kids like Hollywood, Johnny, PLBC, etal as I am old enough to be their Dad, Bring It Boy's!!

CQ, you won't be the oldest. Hope you can make it out and have some fun.

PS. HW is half my age but the math doesn't work, I have to ski twice as hard to be half as good.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1234 7>
  Share Topic