Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1997 SN Soft Floor

Post Reply Post Reply Page   123>
Author
Jones View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1997 SN Soft Floor
    Posted: October-26-2010 at 2:53pm
I'm in the process of refurbishing the 1997 Ski Nautique I purchased a few months ago and have noticed some soft spots in the floor. Considering this is all-fiberglass, I thought this was a little odd. Upon removing the carpet I revealed a couple small spots that look like the floor was punctured but none larger than a quarter.

Any ideas and is it easily repairable?
1979 Ski Nautique (sold)

1997 Ski Nautique

1998 Super Sport Nautique
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-26-2010 at 4:08pm
I've heard this was possibly due to dropping ski fins and other items on the floor. I've always wondered how a repair would go...I may have seen one on here a LONG time ago.

Snap some pics and show is the extent of the damage. I'd be curious to see how big of a job it would be.
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-26-2010 at 4:10pm
while thereĀ“s no wood as the stringers are composite..the foam is still used to fill the voids and as flotation aid..As its has foam anyway I think it over the time take water and cause the soft floor?
<a href="">1992 ski nautique
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-26-2010 at 4:17pm
Brad,
Yes, as Seb mentioned, the foam does support the glass floor. I'd hole saw (maybe 1") the holes out and see what's going on below. If the foam is damaged, you'll need to iject some more before you do a glass repair. Poly foams in the 2 lb. density range have a PSI rating of about 35. This is true for even the "Great Stuff" out of the can. Open it up, dig around and post some pictures.

Sounds like some babe has been in that boat with high heels!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-26-2010 at 4:22pm
Too funny Pete! Does anyone else remember seeing a 93+ floor repair? I'm sure Tim can tell us!
Jones View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-26-2010 at 4:27pm
"Great Stuff" I couldn't remember the name so thanks for refreshing my memory. I'm sure from the water infiltration and age, the original foam deteriorated somewhat. I really hate to cut a hole of any size in the floor but was thinking of drilling 3/8" and injecting foam from a can. I'll have to mull this one over.

I need to get it fixed before summer and the next round of strippers boards.
1979 Ski Nautique (sold)

1997 Ski Nautique

1998 Super Sport Nautique
srbranum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote srbranum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-26-2010 at 4:29pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Brad,
Yes, as Seb mentioned, the foam does support the glass floor. I'd hole saw (maybe 1") the holes out and see what's going on below. If the foam is damaged, you'll need to iject some more before you do a glass repair. Poly foams in the 2 lb. density range have a PSI rating of about 35. This is true for even the "Great Stuff" out of the can. Open it up, dig around and post some pictures.

Sounds like some babe has been in that boat with high heels!!

Wow, a girl in the boat with high heels on.............sounds like my single days 20 years ago...yeah, I want to to see pictures too but forget the silly soft spots, let's see some party pictures!!
I have to keep her running 'cause I can't afford a new one
Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-26-2010 at 4:57pm
Originally posted by Jones Jones wrote:

I really hate to cut a hole of any size in the floor but was thinking of drilling 3/8" and injecting foam from a can. I'll have to mull this one over.

I would go ahead with what Pete suggested and go bigger with a hole saw. The fiberglass repair is pretty simple and since you will be carpeting over the patch you don't have to worry about the aesthetics. It will give you piece of mind to see the damage and see that it is fixed right.
"working on these old boats may not be cost effective but as it shows its what it brings into your life that matters" -Roger

1973 Skier
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-26-2010 at 11:08pm
I say be the first one to tear the floor up in a '93 or newer (no wood) and report back with whats underneath.
You could be the father of > year'93 stringer repair.
"All hail the great one"
Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-26-2010 at 11:32pm
Originally posted by gun-driver gun-driver wrote:

I say be the first one to tear the floor up in a '93 or newer (no wood) and report back with whats underneath.
You could be the father of > year'93 stringer repair.
"All hail the great one"

Thats not nice but too true! I am surprised that there is a soft spot and would like to see pics. Maybe it was just thin glass in that spot and the foam did not fill the cavity?
"working on these old boats may not be cost effective but as it shows its what it brings into your life that matters" -Roger

1973 Skier
fanofccfan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fanofccfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-27-2010 at 11:48am
i have the same issue with my 96. one spot at base of passeneger seat. have not tackled it yet but am interested in what you find.
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-27-2010 at 11:17pm
Come on guys tear'em out we're all dying to know how soon we'll have to do ours.
You can be the Lewis & Clark of the no wood Nautiques.
mdvalant View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdvalant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-29-2010 at 6:02pm
So, what is the entire floor of a later gen ski nautique made out of? Is it glass? Composite stuff?

The ski locker door on our new to us sport is made of black stuff that looks like composite trailer/boat lift bunks. Is that what the whole floor is made of? Seems very flexible when the lid is open on that ski locker. Just curious!
'90 Ski (sold)
'00 Sport
Mississippi River - Bellevue, IA
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-29-2010 at 6:14pm
According to the '93 brochure, the floor in the composite boats is made of the same material as all of the glass boats since the late 60's... a thin layer of fiberglass on top of the foam.

1993 brochure

I would suspect that any soft spots in a composite's boat floor would be due to either an air pocket in the glass schedule, or delamination between the glass skin and the foam. The only way to find out is to cut it or grind it out.
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-29-2010 at 6:48pm
So the stringers should be fine...the rest may be business as usual?
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-29-2010 at 6:54pm
I've always wondered if the foam would be an issue. Hopefully not in regards to rot, but weight and flotation issues. I wonder if we'll be pulling the floor and foam out of the 93+ boats in the next 10 years.
AussieNorts View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AussieNorts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-21-2011 at 7:17am
Hey guys, i was reading this old thread and i have the carpet up in my 97 sport right now and have some soft spots in the floor. I am not sdure what to do, obviously some water has found its way under there and the foam has rotted a little.When i push on the area a little drop of water comes up and i see some black areas under the glass. I have attached some photos to show the floor close up and a little further away. I hope some of the experts here have some suggestions. I read in the 1993 brochure that they just drilled a hole in the floor in the factory and randomly sprayed foam. so maybe i can just inject some foam and repair the floor. What exactly to i need to use to repair the floor if i have to cut it?

Correct craft.....is there any other boat?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-21-2011 at 7:32am
Steven,
It's worth a try but you know if it doesn't work, you'll have to open it up.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AussieNorts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-21-2011 at 8:19am
Pete, Hi again and thanks for the reply, I know about not opening it up, but do you think it is ok to cut the floor in that position? Do I just use the same matting and resin i used on the muffler to reapair the floor if i cut it?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-21-2011 at 8:23am
I'd just drill a couple of small holes and inject the foam. Then, yes a small glass patch.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-21-2011 at 8:27am
One more thing - the foam can create quite a lot of pressure. Inject the foam, lay a piece of plastic over the holes, cover with a piece of wood and weigh it down until it cures.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-21-2011 at 10:46am
Steven, if you do decide to remove the damaged glass DON'T do it in a rectangular fashion but circular (i'm thinking maybe the size of a saucer). Once the damage is removed taper sand the edges (or bevel)and when you finished with foaming then go back with the cloth resin repair.

Using circles instead of rectangles not only makes the job easier it's a stronger repair as there aren't any corners to create a concentrated stress point and a corner is where it's going to crack first.

Slightly increase the size of each ply going from smallest first to largest last with the last ply being about an 2 inches larger than the prior one. You 'll have better repair as the final layer has more parent surface to adhere to. Also with circular repairs, you won't have the corners lift up, snag on something and rip the repair off.
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AussieNorts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-28-2011 at 9:00pm
Guys,

I have succumbed to curiosity and cut into the floor, after i did i was glad i chose to. Upon cutting the hole in the glass floor there was a considerable amount of water under the floor, i used a wet vac and sucked all the water i could , then i removed all foam i thought to be a little rotted or wet. I have left open the the area the help dry out for a few days, any advise from here on in? I bought a can of expandable foam from bunnings in Australia(lilke your Lowes) but i think this expandale foam may not be the best for what i want, not dense enough and not really for marine application, i think i should use the pour in foam but i have a very small are to fill like maybe two fist sizes. I have attached some pice for viewing. Please anyone with an idea as to where to go from here would be great, awaiting your replies.

The hole in floor

when pushed on the water coming up through the foam

after i removed the foam from under the floor

some foam i removed
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AussieNorts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-30-2011 at 10:47pm
Sorry to hassle guys, as I know there is a reunion going on, but does anyone have any thoughts on my next step here?
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-30-2011 at 11:02pm
If it were me, I would open up the hole to a circle as mentioned above by Tim Morfoot. Yes, this will make a bigger opening, but it will be easier to patch once you start putting everything back together.

The I'd dig down and see if there is standing water down by the hull. If there isn't, then go ahead and fill the void with two part foam (I'd get it from Jamestown Dist.) and cover it back up.

...If there's a bunch of water then you're in uncharted territory! I'd hate to hear you say there's a bunch of water because I've got a small soft spot from ski fins in our 96!
lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-31-2011 at 12:39am
Steve I would make it a much larger round hole and go right down to the floor as Chris suggested.

This should give you more of an idea on the condition of the foam around the soft spot and the amount of water you have under the floor.

Do those cans at Bunnings have any specs on them?

If you're going through hell, keep going

89 Ski

<a href="http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5685" ta
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AussieNorts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-31-2011 at 2:12am
Hey Mark,

I looked on the cans but they didn`t have any specs on desity or water resistance, it actually said moisture needed to cure, so i suspect that the foam will absorb water, I am going to get pour in foam from a chandlery on Saturday. So dig all the way down to the hull hey? The foam i have dug down too seems firm and not wet but if yous think to keep digging i will, wow i hope this doesn`t turn into something huge!!!
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AussieNorts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-31-2011 at 2:13am
Also i can not make it a larger hole as there seems to be stringers either side of the current hole i have cut, if i cut wider i will cut into those, any thoughts?
lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-31-2011 at 9:03am
They are fibreglass stringers so definitely do not cut into them. I would remove the foam up against them on both sides leaving the hole in the foam between them. This picture from the 93 brochure should give you an idea what is below the floor. The more I look at your previous pictures I think what happened is that something was dropped onto the floor that punctured the fiberglass skin over the foam allowing water to enter from the top. It still may be worth delving deeper but that is up to you.

If you're going through hell, keep going

89 Ski

<a href="http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5685" ta
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-31-2011 at 3:05pm
What does everyone think of running some biaxle on the floor for additional support?

I'm planning to do carpet in the 96 at some point in the next year or two and thought it would provide some additional support to what seems like a pretty thin floor.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   123>
  Share Topic