NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Valvoline VR1 racing oil in name only

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 3456>
Author
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-01-2011 at 12:13am
Tex, ROFLMAO

Still runnin' Rotella in all my stuff.Straight 40, T 1, 1200 PPM on the ZDDP. More than ample with all the engines I own.. JMHO
MartyMabe View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartyMabe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-01-2011 at 12:25am
Again, we at CarQuest sell this now.

And to think-- since day 1 of owning that Skylark- we have put just Straight 30 W in it. Just whatever we bought at NAPA, Roses,Zayres,K-Mart, etc.
66 Skylark
93 SN
If you're not living in NC, you're just camping out!
horkn View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horkn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-01-2011 at 12:30am
Well, apparently not everyone cares to look at test results and simply go by marketing verbiage. As everyone should know by now, people in marketing typically don't know much beyond how to sell a product.   Of all the oils that are called. Vr1,   only the 20/50 not street legal has been shown in tests to have enough zddp.   I think if anyone has any doubts, they need to test their oil.   

Now, anyone blindly using rotella or any diesel oil because it was once thought it was ok to use in gas is sadly the most ignorant by far.

There is a lot of great info on this thread, using diesel oil is definitely not any part of that.
Even the napa guy instantly said not to use diesel oil in a flat tappet gas motor as the extra detergents wipe the zinc off the lobes, negating any decent levels (if any) of zddp. I've yet to see any technical data to discount that.
78 martinique- refloored, reinforced, stringers re glassed, re engineered interior
GT40P heads Edelbrock Performer intake acme 4 blade
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v64/horkn/fish/nautique.jpg
horkn View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horkn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-01-2011 at 12:42am
Originally posted by MartyMabe MartyMabe wrote:

Again, we at CarQuest sell this now.

And to think-- since day 1 of owning that Skylark- we have put just Straight 30 W in it. Just whatever we bought at NAPA, Roses,Zayres,K-Mart, etc.

Unfortunately those good ol days are gone. Oil companies have reformulated most oils to not work with flat tappet cam gas motors.
78 martinique- refloored, reinforced, stringers re glassed, re engineered interior
seacamper View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seacamper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-01-2011 at 12:56am
Guys..............seriously.....I am not sure why we are pissing on each other. I am just trying to change my oil. Boatdr, if you had just come on and said "use Rotella 4ow, it has 1300ppm of zddp, I would have that at my house for my oil change tomorrow. If you follow the thread, you will find I in no way claim to be an expert.I am seeking knowledge. It seems like you are inferring that I am claiming to be an expert and being Obama like. Stop doing that. You are making me cry. Horkn, dude, I posted the info from the Valvoline website. I thought people would be interested. Sorry I crossed the line there somehow Anyhoo, heres what I will send Valvoline:
Dear Valvoline,
Could you tell me the ZDDP content of your VR1 product? What does 13% equate to in PPM. It seems that 1200 PPM or above is the target for our boat engines due the the tappets. Do you also have a fact sheet that actually has that included? I would love to post that to solve some dispute amongst ourselves.
Thank You,
Tom

Will that work? Does anyone have more mean stuff to say me now? I am going to have to go to therapy after this
1980 Ski Nautique Boat Bar
1988 Mastercraft Tristar Open Bow
1988 Mastercraft Tristar Closed Bow
1969 Seacamper Houseboat
1986 Harris Pontoon
2004 Seadoo GTX SC + Flydive Xboard
1999 Adventurecraft
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-01-2011 at 1:09am
Tom - Great job contacting Valvoline.

I drew fire on this same subject several years ago, definitely sucks you in like quicksand.

Haven't heard of anyone wiping out a cam recently, so all of our oils must be working.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
horkn View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horkn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-01-2011 at 1:14am
Tom, please don't take anything I posted in a negative light. I, like you only want my motor to run happily for as long as possible.

Be careful about what marketing and customer service say. They don't really know what is going on.

It looks like more people need to do more reading.
lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-01-2011 at 8:14am
I like what this company does in respect to posting current ZDDP levels

January 2011
If you're going through hell, keep going

89 Ski

<a href="http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5685" ta
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-01-2011 at 12:24pm
Originally posted by horkn horkn wrote:

Now, anyone blindly using rotella or any diesel oil because it was once thought it was ok to use in gas is sadly the most ignorant by far.

Tom, did you even read the thread you linked to? If you did, you would have noticed that every oil needs to be evaluated independantly- there are even variations between grades (weights) of the same brand/type. I do not believe any testing was done on straight weights- so to dismiss Rotella (30w and 40w) is not fair- its only the blend (15w40) that have the reduced levels, as most diesel oils have, due to the new particulate emmisions requirements being placed on them.

Since no one has linked to it in this thread, here is the datasheet for VR1. Notice the zinc/phos content (.14/.13 %, aka 1400/1300 ppm).

Valvoline VR1 data sheet

The lower zinc/phos levels of VR1 samples coming from Blackstone are somewhat troubling, I have to admit. That and the recent price increases (its approaching $5/qt now in my area) will have me checking the shelves for M1 15w50 in the near future.
seacamper View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seacamper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-01-2011 at 1:16pm
Heres what I got from Valvoline:

To: xxxxxxxxx@yahoo.com
Message contains attachments1 File (86KB)
VR-1_Racing_Motor_Oil.pdf
Thank you for your question. The Valvoline VR1 Racing Oils contain 1400ppm zinc and 1300ppm phosphorus, which is more than enough for a flat tappet cam engine. Attached is a copy of the Valvoline product information sheet that will list the ZDDP levels as a percentage.

The data sheet alluded to in the email is the same as posted above by trbenj. Did we solve this for VR1?   
1969 Seacamper Houseboat
1986 Harris Pontoon
1999 Adventurecraft
RJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-01-2011 at 2:13pm
Here is the chart for Mobil 1 oils.

I'm not trying to get involved I have always used Mobil 1 15W-50 not for the price but by choice.

By the way... Not all marketing guys are technical idiots relentlessly focused at taking advantage of anyone willing to believe the lies they spin about the products they rep. Some of us marketing villains actually are hired by companies because of technical experience and aptitude, and tasked with building product knowledge, customer trust, brand loyalty, and ensure the products that we "rep" are worthy of that respect. Some of us do have integrity and can R&R and know all of the ins & outs of all of the products we are trying to trick you into buying.

Please excuse the side bar and lets get back to arguing about oil..... I'll be on the lake, scheming up my next plot against the helpless consumer.

Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-01-2011 at 2:18pm
Originally posted by seacamper seacamper wrote:

Did we solve this for VR1?

Solved it years ago, on this site, with links.
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-01-2011 at 2:42pm
Originally posted by RJ RJ wrote:

Here is the chart for Mobil 1 oils.

I'm not trying to get involved I have always used Mobil 1 15W-50 not for the price but by choice.

By the way... Not all marketing guys are technical idiots relentlessly focused at taking advantage of anyone willing to believe the lies they spin about the products they rep. Some of us marketing villains actually are hired by companies because of technical experience and aptitude, and tasked with building product knowledge, customer trust, brand loyalty, and ensure the products that we "rep" are worthy of that respect. Some of us do have integrity and can R&R and know all of the ins & outs of all of the products we are trying to trick you into buying.

Please excuse the side bar and lets get back to arguing about oil..... I'll be on the lake, scheming up my next plot against the helpless consumer.

Awesome

seacamper View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seacamper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-01-2011 at 5:08pm
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

Originally posted by seacamper seacamper wrote:

Did we solve this for VR1?

Solved it years ago, on this site, with links.

Sigh. I am sorry I have proved unworthy oh member of great wisdom. My further searches will be of greater length and duration so it may be worthy of your earlier consideration. Might I suggest that although this thread was a failure in your almighty eyes, that some of the lesser members (myself included) actually gained knowledge--even if it was unworthy knowledge?
1969 Seacamper Houseboat
1986 Harris Pontoon
1999 Adventurecraft
anthonylizardi View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anthonylizardi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-01-2011 at 5:23pm
Actually the thread showed me an another option, Mobil 1 15w-50 as another option.
xjglen View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xjglen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-01-2011 at 5:32pm
I think I'll start using Mobil 1 as well. But my only concern is the weight. Aren't we supposed to be running straight 40 weight. I have chosen to run a multi-weight 15w-40 but is 15w-50 OK?   
93 Ski Nautique
RJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-01-2011 at 7:46pm
Originally posted by xjglen xjglen wrote:

Aren't we supposed to be running straight 40 weight. I have chosen to run a multi-weight 15w-40 but is 15w-50 OK?   

I like the wording "supposed to". I'm not looking to get wrapped up in a no win debate over what oil we are all "supposed to" be using. It's an informed and hopefully educated individual choice for you to make that you feel confident best statisfies the mechanical requirements for the conditions wherein you will be operating the motor.

The question of what we're "supposed to" use is not one that will be agreed upon by any group of motor heads be it cars, boats, or bikes.

Here is a great and very appropriate quote for this thread:
"Which is the best grade oil for use in my motor?
Put that question to a group of “knowledgeable” motor heads and the fur will fly. Pronouncements of doom and dire
consequences will abound, usually supported by half truths, urban myths, and anecdotal experiences giving rise to a general
atmosphere of fear, uncertainty, and doubt (FUD). A good understanding of the information presented above will help dispel
much of that FUD and aid you in making a well informed choice. In general you are best served to simply follow the
recommendations of the engine manufacturer. But there are times when that may not be practical or wise. The manufacturer’s
recommendation is based on the assumption that the motor is in new or close to new condition and is being operated in a
typical environment. It is also based on the SAE standards in effect at the time the recommendation is issued. As we’ve seen
the SAE standard has changed tremendously over the last 100 years and tremendous advances in motor oil performance have
been realized. So a 50 or even 25 year old grade recommendation might not be the best choice given current standards and/or
oils. And if your motor is badly worn or operated in unusually harsh or demanding environments that may alter the grade
requirements as well."

Taken from Understanding the SAE Motor Oil Viscosity Standard

So according to the latest SAE J300 standards that I found here (beware this all might be deceitful marketing tactics) 15w40 and and 15w50 have the same high temp viscosity @150 = 3.7. bla bla.

Ive used Mobil 1 15w50 for years it works for me, but may not be right for you. The Mobil 1 marketing hear say is very clever and states "for flat tappet applications". hmmmmmm

No more from me on this one.

eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-02-2011 at 9:41am
so what your saying basically, is simply check your oil once in a while?
im still having a hard time believing people go for an oil change every 3000 miles. (on a car)
im really starting to think about this, there is really no contact between a lifter and a cam, its actuallty a small layer of oil between the 2, its when there is a lack of oil between the 2 is when the problems start
"the things you own will start to own you"
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-02-2011 at 9:58am
Originally posted by eric lavine eric lavine wrote:

there is really no contact between a lifter and a cam, its actuallty a small layer of oil between the 2, its when there is a lack of oil between the 2 is when the problems start

Yes, and this is when the ZDDP comes to play. On a flat tappet, the pressure is so great that high pressure additives in the oil film break down. The zinc then becomes the lubricant saving the metal. The oil guys have not been able to find a additive to replace the properties of the ZDDP yet! I've talked to our oil supplier here at the plant many times about it. You can say that zinc is a lubricant - I see it on a daily basis when we run galvanized without any oil in our stamping dies. Over simplified but the basic principle! Our deep drawing oils have tons of ZDDP it it!!!

BTW, I consider a oil chemist working for a industrial lubricant manufacturer advanced way beyond what's needed in automotive/truck market. The industrial market requires 100's of different lubs and not just a handfull of engine oils and gear lubricants!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
MAN - GA View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MAN - GA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-25-2011 at 9:56pm
Saw this in my local NAPA today when I stopped in for a new filter and some VR1 20w-50 - I did a search first and didn't see much on additives to oil being used and this stuff is a little pricey at $13.49 for a 8 or 12 ounce bottle. I know Lucas is pretty respected and they claim it is OK to use this stuff on normal oil changes, but was wandering if anyone here on the forum has experience or testing on the amount of zinc in these additivesLucas Additive
lakedog55 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lakedog55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-08-2015 at 4:10am
So what about putting Lucas in with the oil when changing?
Lakedog55
oldcuda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldcuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-08-2015 at 4:56am
Lucas is really just a thickener(is that a real word?)We commonly put 20% in older Detroits with over a million miles on them a lot of people think it helps.Gets you about 5-10 lbs of oil pressure and cuts down consumption.No magical lubrication qualities.Every time they put 2 gallons in they fill the jugs with Rotella so I bring it home it's gonna take me 10 years to use up the stash in the garage.
Jonny Quest View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-09-2015 at 6:19pm
Is this the Lucas product you were referring to?
Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
cadunkle View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cadunkle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-09-2015 at 6:42pm
I don't understand why this issue keeps coming up. Who has experienced a cam failure they believe is oil related? Most here are running stock low lift cams with weak 30 year old valve springs. What is the seat and open pressure for those concerned?

I do understand the concern over wasting a reverse rotation cam, but seriously, I fail to see the issue with the mild cams and springs most here run.

For what it's worth I run Rotella T6 in the fleet. It will work for all my vehicles so only one oil to stock. If I wasn't lazy I'd save a few dollars and run plain Volvoline or similar cheap 10w40 in my non diesel vehicles as I have in the past. I'm lazy though, and the annual savings for me are trivial. I believe synthetic has advantages and I've observed some of them on oil pressure gauges, but the ~800 ppm zinc in most low zinc oils is not going to destroy a mild flat tappet cam that is already broken in.
fanofccfan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fanofccfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-09-2015 at 7:59pm
My buddy had to put in a new cam. Not sure if it was oil related but the oil he used was not on the approved list. Stock motor 700 hours.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-09-2015 at 8:04pm
Originally posted by cadunkle cadunkle wrote:

I don't understand why this issue keeps coming up. Who has experienced a cam failure they believe is oil related? Most here are running stock low lift cams with weak 30 year old valve springs. What is the seat and open pressure for those concerned?

I do understand the concern over wasting a reverse rotation cam, but seriously, I fail to see the issue with the mild cams and springs most here run.

For what it's worth I run Rotella T6 in the fleet. It will work for all my vehicles so only one oil to stock. If I wasn't lazy I'd save a few dollars and run plain Volvoline or similar cheap 10w40 in my non diesel vehicles as I have in the past. I'm lazy though, and the annual savings for me are trivial. I believe synthetic has advantages and I've observed some of them on oil pressure gauges, but the ~800 ppm zinc in most low zinc oils is not going to destroy a mild flat tappet cam that is already broken in.

The issue always comes up because of the concern with flat tappets and not 30 year old weak springs and broken in cams/tappets. I have seen 3 failed cams contributed to oil. All 3 were running tradition old oils with ZDDP. The owners went to the "latest and greatest" synthetic oils. 2 of these cams as well as matching tappets were sent to the lab and in both cases confirmed that the damage was cased by a lubrication failure. What's you problem with not wanting to be safe and run a oil with proper ZDDP levels?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
martie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2015 at 2:00am
I have used Valvoline VR1 in everything from race motors to daily drivers for many years. Run the right viscosity for your use and you should have excellent results. As a comparison, just buy a bottle of 20w50 vr1 and a bottle of Castrol gtx in the same viscosity. Pour them from the bottle and you will see a distinct difference. Unless you are running a full race motor at 6500 plus rpms, the Valvoline oil will be just fine. 50 hours or annual would be a very safe range for oil and filter changes. Just my opinion.
dangerwil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dangerwil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2015 at 7:46am
Just bought 5 quarts VR 1 racing 40 weight and Napa silver filter. Cost me $37.50.
Sleepyone View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sleepyone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-14-2015 at 4:21pm
Valvoline racing- Make sure what you use has the large dose of ZINC in it on a Flat tappet Engine. Yes the Gibbs oil has a lot of zinc added to it but very high priced oil. NASCAR engines in the 90's started having issues with lifter failure on flat tappet cams and noticed the oil companies had started removing the ZINC..
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-14-2015 at 7:42pm
Originally posted by Sleepyone Sleepyone wrote:

Make sure what you use has the large dose of ZINC in it on a Flat tappet Engine. .

Randy,
You should read some of the oil threads!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 3456>
  Share Topic