NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

A buffalo’s first bowtie

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 19202122>
Author
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-01-2008 at 7:25pm
I guess give it 20 minute or so to warm up and break the cam in, usually that time is used up setting the carb, and timing and checking for leaks in the drive and varing the RPM some.
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-01-2008 at 7:43pm
Its critical for the first twenty minutes to not turn it over slowly or idle, get it immediately to 1800 to 2200 rpm and vary up and down in that range every 30 secs or so, after that you can bring it down, mess with the carb, check timing, etc.

The speed allows oil to be splashed up by the crank removing any debris generated by the wearing in of the lobe and lifter, without serious oil at this time things can go bad. Additionally depending on the springs/lift sometimes this needs to be done with the inner spring removed. But thats usually serious lift.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-01-2008 at 7:53pm
Thanks Joe, I don't have the experience with this that you guys do. If I had know it would hit that soon, I guess on the ramp would have been better...but I didn't know to run the rpm's that high at first either.

Warm it up a little or go straight to higher rpm's?

I guess immediately answers my question...
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-01-2008 at 7:54pm
Originally posted by JoeinNY JoeinNY wrote:

Its critical for the first twenty minutes to not turn it over slowly or idle, get it immediately to 1800 to 2200 rpm and vary up and down in that range every 30 secs or so, after that you can bring it down, mess with the carb, check timing, etc.

That was my procedure but it sounds more believable coming from you , thank you.

I was also told to change the oil after cam breakin then go to the lake and continue breaking the motor in/setting the rings.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-01-2008 at 7:55pm
Originally posted by 81nautique 81nautique wrote:

What about cam break in, I didn't read back through this whole thread but you're running a regular flat tappet cam right?

Yes
1988 BFN-sold

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-01-2008 at 10:25pm
Greg, I'm very happy to here the good news but where are the pictures??

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-01-2008 at 10:58pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

I have pics, but I have some more to diagnose. I took it to the ramp and it wouldn't start. The only thing that changed was the depth finder install so I'm guessing I pulled a wire loose somewhere else under the dash. It's acting like it's not getting fire, but I'm to tired and too bent to figure it out now.

1988 BFN-sold

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-02-2008 at 12:03am
Originally posted by BuffaloBFN BuffaloBFN wrote:

Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

I have pics, but I have some more to diagnose. I took it to the ramp and it wouldn't start. The only thing that changed was the depth finder install so I'm guessing I pulled a wire loose somewhere else under the dash. It's acting like it's not getting fire, but I'm to tired and too bent to figure it out now.

Greg, Do not be cranking that motor trying to get it to start. You will be grinding your cam to dust, you had it running so get it back where it was and fire it up in the driveway. Immediately up to 2000-2500 for a minumum of 20 minutes, just watch oil pressure and water temp. Vary your rpms by a few thousand every 30 seconds . Don't screw with timing or air mixtures until you idle it back down after your full 20 minute break in. This is a critical time for your engine, tuning it comes later.

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-02-2008 at 1:01pm
The good, the bad, and the ugly?!!?

I found the wire that pulled loose and it started right up and ran beautifully...

EXCEPT I think I have a rod knocking. The noise is solid sounding and seems to be low in the front...it's also rythmic and in perfect sync with rpm's. It is the original crank and rods, so all I can think is that I missed a rod bolt somewhere...not sure how though because I triple checked everything.

If anyone knows of something I'm missing, I'm all ears.
1988 BFN-sold

JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-02-2008 at 2:01pm
Tragedy perhaps, what rpm were you running at?
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-02-2008 at 3:18pm

Tragedy perhaps, what rpm were you running at?

Trajedy is a bit mild I think! When I started it I was going to follow Alan's last post and ran it right up to 2000. I backed off when I heard the noise and have started it twice for a few seconds after. The noise is different each time, and I went around it with my crow bar looking for the knocking...can't really find it.

I was hoping it would be the valve covers, but I couldn't hear a solid rap there. So I cleaned up the garage and am about to pull the %$#$% again...it's a half day job getting the engine out with my tools.

If it is a rod and the noise has been changing-going from louder to softer and not as rythmic and almost nothing at idle before I shut it off; that means there is metal all in the low end and it's another rebuild?
1988 BFN-sold

79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-02-2008 at 4:10pm
did you have the crank turned or just use it as is?
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-02-2008 at 4:14pm
Dont get all worst case on us yet, if it wasnt for the cam needing to be broken in I would say futz around with it pulling plug wires while its running. But in this case I say pull the valve covers and check for loose push rods or play in the rockers before you get all crazy pulling the engine. If you pull the engine and its just one rod end I would say you have nothing to loose by just fixing that and giving it a run, whats the worst that can happen you need to rebuild it again.. since you can pull the engine yourself I would take the risk...
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-02-2008 at 4:18pm
Originally posted by 79nautique 79nautique wrote:

did you have the crank turned or just use it as is?

It was polished only I think. All of the rotating parts were gone through by the machine shop. The crank was balanced and the parts matched...at least that's what I paid for.
1988 BFN-sold

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-02-2008 at 4:28pm
I'm not all PO'd...more like someone shot my new puppy?!!?

It's already back in the garage cooling off and I'll do whatever I have to.

FWIW, it sounded great unless I was right in front of the engine...
1988 BFN-sold

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-02-2008 at 5:38pm
Originally posted by BuffaloBFN BuffaloBFN wrote:

I'm not all PO'd...more like someone shot my new puppy?!!?

It's already back in the garage cooling off and I'll do whatever I have to.

FWIW, it sounded great unless I was right in front of the engine...

Wow, I feel sick for you Greg. Are you sure it's a rod, I've heard cracked pulleys make some aweful noises. Could have broken when you torqued them down. It's not a damper plate noise right?

I agree with Joe, if it wasn't for concern of breaking in the cam I'd run it and pull some plug wires to see which cylinder is bad.

Hard to tell you what to do without knowing if it truly is a rod but at this point I think I'd talk to my machinist and confirm his measurements of the crank and see if he told you to get the correct size bearings. I'm assuming thats where that information came from unless you micro'd everything yourself.
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-02-2008 at 5:48pm
Harmonic balancers can alse make a heck of a racket.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-02-2008 at 11:51pm
Originally posted by 81nautique 81nautique wrote:

see if he told you to get the correct size bearings.

The bearings were in a kit that the machinist ordered. He used a few things out of it(brass casting plugs,etc) and the rest was for me to assemble. Kit isn't the right word...he asked me a few particulars and ordered the engine parts himself.

I talked to a friend of our's and he reminded me that the only thing that stinks in the pudding is the fuel pump. I also just learned that they have flange numbers. I think I'll bang it over 1 more time with the old fuel pump on it and see if the noise is still there. It won't take but a second to tell.

Odds are that I didn't miss a bolt or put a rod on bacerds so I'll do some investigating in the morning!
1988 BFN-sold

lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-03-2008 at 11:58am
Buffalo,

I think I feel your pain, as most of the others following the threads on your boat & engine would be. Devastating but as Joe said dont accept defeat too easily and pull the engine prematurely.

Remove plug leads one at a time to identify which rod bearing it may be. Hopefully there is no change and it is a lifter or something less than a bigend bearing.

If you're going through hell, keep going

89 Ski

<a href="http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5685" ta
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-03-2008 at 1:16pm
Well, for a few seconds I thought the fuel pump was the problem...then I started to hear it again...almost like a lifter pumped up. The sound does change with rpm's. It seems stronger when the rpm's are changing; almost don't hear it at a steady rpm. I did pull the front 4 plugs wires 1 at a time with no change.

I'll know as soon as it cools off.
1988 BFN-sold

skicat View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skicat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-03-2008 at 1:28pm
Just take those mufflers off & it will go away! Or at least you may not hear it. Just kidding- hope you get it figured out. Bout time to pick that pumpkin!

I might be up your way this weekend. I think I know the general area you are in. Can you still get to your dock, or is it in the mud already?
Greg

86 BFN
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-03-2008 at 1:50pm
That's funny cat! LOL I did knock out the baffles; you may remember that 1 was loose...and I promise you that the unwelcome sound cannot be heard from the stern! Actually it sounds damn good but for the 1 issue, and one has to be in the right spot to hear it at all. I'll have the covers off in an hour or so and we'll see!

If it was a rod, it doesn't seem to me like the sound would change with rpm's, so I'm praying it's a rocker I didn't get just right. Those rockers were the part I was least familiar with so...

My slip is still floating with 3-4 feet at the entrance. Come by if you like...we call my area Little River Pond...and not because it's down. It's an isolated area that not so many know about!   
1988 BFN-sold

JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-03-2008 at 2:30pm
Well a rod would change with RPM but I would still be thinking valve train, it was first dyno run last year on my 408 that a collapsed lifter (actually two) did me in.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-03-2008 at 3:11pm
Thanks guys for the continued support! I have the covers off and don't see anything obvious. I'm not sure where to go from here...maybe I'll pick up some tall covers today while I might still be able to and see if they'll fit with an extra exhaust gasket to rule that out; and I suppose going back through rocker adjustment wouldn't hurt.
1988 BFN-sold

nuttyskier2002 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nuttyskier2002 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-03-2008 at 5:05pm
Greg, try firing it up without the covers on it. Just have plenty of rags on the carpet below your exhaust manifolds to catch the oil. It you still hear the noise shut it down. Then try to push down on the rockers (with hand) against the lifter spring pressure. Lifters should be pumped up and should NOT give easily. Should fewel almost solid. If any do give, they may be collapsed or just not pumped up yet. How long have you ran it?
95 Malibu Echelon w/Mercruiser 350 Magnum Skier

Former boats:
88 Ski Centurion Tru Trac II
59 Chris Craft Capri (woody)
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-03-2008 at 5:11pm
sometimes a hung up lifter will sound like a rod knock, check for a colapsed lifter   it doesnt make sense to have a rod knock this early in the game    wrist pins were all checked?
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-03-2008 at 5:17pm
could also be your base timings out and your getting a damper knock which alot of times will sound like a rod knock and transmit thru the engine, a dead plug, a bad wire, timing, anything to cause a miss will transmisst as if you do have a bad rod and ends up being torsionals, tread wisely, you could have fouled a plug from assembly lube and so on
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-03-2008 at 5:35pm
I will also say when ever I had a rod knock I knew I had a rod knock, when I thought I might have a rod knock its something else, a true knock is pretty loud. Do look on those valve covers for any slight sign of a rocker making contact as well, near the center bolts would be common on a ford, dont know about where to look on a bbc
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-03-2008 at 8:10pm
Just drained a little over a quart of oil over magnets laying in the drain tub and found nothing but clean oil. The valve train is also very clean. Gonna keep looking before I pull it.

The oil pan doesn't have any kind magnet in it, so if it was a rod shouldn't I see metal flakes?
1988 BFN-sold

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-03-2008 at 8:16pm

I will also say when ever I had a rod knock I knew I had a rod knock, when I thought I might have a rod knock its something else, a true knock is pretty loud.

This is exactly what's keeping me from pulling the motor just yet, but I don't think it's in the valve train. The covers and rockers don't show anything and all of the rockers are tight against the lifters...they won't push at all.
1988 BFN-sold

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 19202122>
  Share Topic