NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

GT40 ('96) Fuel Pumps sporadic

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
slmskrs View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slmskrs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: GT40 ('96) Fuel Pumps sporadic
    Posted: February-17-2015 at 12:40am
So, long story short, it's takeing 7-10 attempts before the engine starts and sometimes it suddenly dies. I thought it was ignition because there was no sputtering, etc. However, I just noticed that my fuel pumps are not always turning on (for a second) when I turn the key on. I jumped the pumps and the relay clicks bu the pumps didn't go on until I jumped it 10-15 times or more. Then the pump went on every three times or so, and finally went on just about every time.

Would this be a relay (relay operating but the contacts are going bad)? Or something else?

Thanks,

Gordon
Gordon '97 Ski Nautique, GT40
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-17-2015 at 12:49am
Gordon I have no idea,someone will,but the relays are cheap enough on Amazon. I carry a couple in the boat.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
slmskrs View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slmskrs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-17-2015 at 1:03am
Happen to have a pn or a URL on that Amazon relay?
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-17-2015 at 1:13am
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
slmskrs View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slmskrs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-17-2015 at 2:06am
Thank you!!!   (you wouldn't happen to have an Amazon link to one of the 20amp breaker switches in the dash, would you?.... :)

IAughtNaut View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IAughtNaut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-17-2015 at 4:18am
fuel pumps on that engine are notorious for going bad, I can think of more than a few guys on here who have replaced them. they're is also a tiny bit of non-gasoline rated piping in the fcc that tends to get corrupted, but if the pumps aren't coming on that's probably not your culprit. I'm sure TRBenj will tell you I'm wrong pretty soon though.
bring the ruckus
2000 Pro Air
slmskrs View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slmskrs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-17-2015 at 4:40am
I've replaced both in the past. When the pumps run it's fine. So a relay or some other issue.   :(
lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-17-2015 at 6:23am
Gordon the 12V output from EEC relay not only supplies the 12v to coil but the activation voltage for the fuel pump relay. If you jumpered the STO to ground and the pumps did not run then it indicates a problem with the voltage activation circuit pin 85 on fuel pump relay.

Make up some short jumper leads that you can but between the relay and connector. This makes it easier to make sure you are getting good connection on your multimeter probes.

Still thinking EEC relay unless that relay is not activating when the ignition key is turned to on position.

Those relays that Gary suggested are genuine Hella which is what you get if you order the PCM ones. Some of the other equivalents are not of the same quality.

If you're going through hell, keep going

89 Ski

<a href="http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5685" ta
slmskrs View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slmskrs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-17-2015 at 11:38am
Even when the pumps don't run, the relay clicks when I jump it. Also, when I turn the key, not only does the relay click, but it seems like there is another click of some sort inside the ECM (although that could be fuel relay sound transfer). I've ordered relays; we'll see if that resolves the problem (since they have never been changed). Cheap enough to just swap out.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-17-2015 at 11:58am
Gordon,
Clicking doesn't indicate voltage through the contacts. Get the VOM (volt Ohm meter) out and do some checking as Mark suggested.
Originally posted by lewy2001 lewy2001 wrote:

Gordon the 12V output from EEC relay not only supplies the 12v to coil but the activation voltage for the fuel pump relay. If you jumpered the STO to ground and the pumps did not run then it indicates a problem with the voltage activation circuit pin 85 on fuel pump relay.

Don't become a "parts changer" check first!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
slmskrs View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slmskrs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-17-2015 at 1:37pm
Fair point. The reason I thought it is the fuel pump relay rather than the ECC relay is because if the ECC relay powers the coil and the fuel pump relay, I'm still getting spark (tested).

That said, I will pull out the 'ol multitester and check.

Thanks guys!
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-17-2015 at 2:56pm
Get some spare relays anyway,they may save your day, I carry them so I'll never need them
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-17-2015 at 3:18pm
I sure am curious as to why these relays are always going! Are they exceeding the amp rating- no, they would never do something like that! Maybe C/R suppression is needed across the load?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
slmskrs View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slmskrs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-17-2015 at 11:05pm
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

Get some spare relays anyway,they may save your day, I carry them so I'll never need them

Ordered two from Amazon yesterday; arrive tomorrow. :)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic