NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Alignment Poll

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Alignment Poll
    Posted: December-30-2012 at 4:56pm
This is the current topic of interest, so I thought we could share results.

I check alignment each spring, however I now just check it with boat on the trailer.   Takes about 1/2 hour - I don't remove all the screws, just loosen them. I think last year it was right at .003 so I just left it alone. In previous years I would shoot for .001, now consider that to just be extra work.    I guess the novelty is wearing off . . .

Does anyone check annually & regularly find it out of spec?

“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-30-2012 at 5:11pm
I go for every 2 years. 2 of my 3 boats were done 2 seasons ago.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
TX Foilhead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TX Foilhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-30-2012 at 5:29pm
This is the third year since I've done mine, I haven't hit anything or noticed vibrations. I'm going to go through it completely while the motor is out, but I don't see anything that leads me to believe something is wrong or not straight, cutlass is wearing evenly and everything turns fine by hand. I am am a little lazy because it's such a bigger chore with a Vdrive.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TX Foilhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-30-2012 at 5:42pm
Oh forgot to add, no way in hell I'm going to try and check it in the water. I did that with the last DD and it never changed. Maybe I'll find that it's not as big of a deal as I'm suspecting it to be, but I doubt that since the coupler has twice the bolts and I have to work blind to get them out. I think the guys with the hot rod v drives may be on to something with the long shaft between the tranny and the Vdrive.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-30-2012 at 6:18pm
Originally posted by TX Foilhead TX Foilhead wrote:

I haven't noticed vibrations.   

Don,
Keep in mind that a misaligned shaft will not vibrate unless it's been run that way for many hours. With a misaligned shaft, it is binding in most cases the cutlass. Without any clearance/play it will not vibrate until the cutlass is very worn.

The most common cause of vibration is #1 a bad prop and then #2 a bent prop shaft.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
KRoundy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KRoundy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-30-2012 at 6:26pm
I am in the middle of aligning my boat right now in my rebuild. It's currently so far off that I can see it with my eyeballs. I have got it aligned left-right to eyeball close and now need to move the engine up. Once I have it close via my eyes I'll get the feeler gauges out and line her up perfectly.
Previous: 1993 Electric Blue/Charcoal Ski Nautique
Current: 2016 Ski Nautique 200 Open Bow
Kristof View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kristof Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-30-2012 at 8:02pm
I have done three seasons since my last alignment. As soon as she goes back in hte water at the marina in the spring, I'm gonna check the alignment when she's sitting in the water...

I regularly spin the shaft by hand to feel if it spins freely and smoothly. I also check my engine mounts regularly to see if they are still thight... Three seasons ago I noticed one mount to be completely loose (that's why I had to do an alignment twice that season...)

- Gun control means: using BOTH hands!
- Money doesn't make one happy, but when it rains cats and dogs, it's still better to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle...

forvicjr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote forvicjr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-30-2012 at 8:19pm
Alignment.....whats that?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-30-2012 at 8:27pm
Originally posted by forvicjr forvicjr wrote:

Vic,
You will know all about alignment when you blow the trans and it costs you around $800 not including the R&R and shipping!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
forvicjr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote forvicjr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-30-2012 at 8:37pm
Its funny that I was betting on a response from you.My alignment is way off,the trans is in my garage and the shaft is in Ga,So I can safely say mine doesn't need to be checked at this point.Also Pete you need to SEARCH if you had you would realize I'm nowhere close to aligning any of the drive train,I have no floor in my cc. With that being said,I don't think Ill be blowing my trans.Need to lighten up pete.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-30-2012 at 8:42pm

Need to lighten up pete.

I reacted due to you first sarcastic comment. We certainly do not want new members thinking alignment isn't important do we Vic?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
forvicjr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote forvicjr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-30-2012 at 8:47pm
That sarcasm wasn't directed at the subject of the post,it was more toward the progress of my own boat. (alignment is far far away for me)But yes alignment is crucial. Ill be doing mine in the spring hopfully..
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TX Foilhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-30-2012 at 9:04pm
Cutlass looks the same as it did when I bought it so I doubt it's wearing, I did have the prop fixed from hitting the trailer. That just flat spotted my 6 month old prop, but all they really did was check the ballance.   It 3 of the blades on the prop guard which evenly put flat spot about an inch long on the blades, might have shortened them 1/16 of an inch.   +300 hrs later running fine so I'm thinking it's good but I'm closing in on that time when Eric says trannys just seem to just wear out.
Dreaming View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dreaming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-30-2012 at 9:20pm
i'm neurotic.... i checked mine before I put it in the water last year.    this year I didn't even get it wet, i was saving for a stringer job.   Stringer money now in hand, I suspect a start in the new year.   I'll re-align when the motor/trans/stringers are in again.

Tide View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tide Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-30-2012 at 10:34pm
I've owned my boat for over 12 years and have never done an alignment. It has absolutely no vibration. I'm afraid if I ever messed with it I would screw it up.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-30-2012 at 10:47pm
Originally posted by Tide Tide wrote:

I've owned my boat for over 12 years and have never done an alignment. It has absolutely no vibration.

From several posts above:
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Originally posted by TX Foilhead TX Foilhead wrote:

I haven't noticed vibrations.   

Don,
Keep in mind that a misaligned shaft will not vibrate unless it's been run that way for many hours. With a misaligned shaft, it is binding in most cases the cutlass. Without any clearance/play it will not vibrate until the cutlass is very worn.

The most common cause of vibration is #1 a bad prop and then #2 a bent prop shaft.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
juniorwoody View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote juniorwoody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-30-2012 at 10:47pm
Is anyone keeping count? Both of our woodies are apart at this time. The
Atom probably should be checked before the season though I hadn't really planned to do it till now. My son's SN was aligned three seasons back when we completed the stringer replacement. It is working fine and I hear no plans for the alignment check. I guess if his tranny goes he will just fix it as that is what he does for a living. Ya, ya I know an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure and all that stuff. My comments on the Craigslist thread were more centered around how we receive new posters and should we try to maintain a small amount of decency or just go about alienating them before they even get started, just saying.
The value of money spent on new adventure far exceeds the value of money saved for the future
DHart View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DHart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-30-2012 at 11:03pm

Pete, what do you typically find when you check alignment? Do you make adjustments or just confirm that everything looks good?
DrCC View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-30-2012 at 11:34pm
I've never used an alignment pole.
I just use a worn out prop shaft to tune (bend or un-bend) the strut and to nudge the engine side to side.

Oh! Poll! with two el's,   Ok, well other than changing engines, velvet-d's, ARE's etc...
As a part of routine or preventative maintenance.

1966 Mustang    (never)
1974 Ski Nau.   (once, in 8 years)
DHart View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DHart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-30-2012 at 11:42pm
I should have included, I'm in the rarely check alignment club.
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-30-2012 at 11:56pm
Ha last time mine was checked you did it to make the alignment video Pete.
You can’t change the wind but you can adjust your sails
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-31-2012 at 8:52am
Originally posted by DHart DHart wrote:

Pete, what do you typically find when you check alignment? Do you make adjustments or just confirm that everything looks good?

Dave,
It really depends on the boat. A glass hull with good stringers or a recent stringer replacement rarely has issues except when it taken a underwater hit.

With a wood hull, you will typically find different readings after it's dried out from storage compared to later in the season when it's taken on some moisture. Check the alignment later in the season.

If you find that the alignment is out past the .003" max, do a complete alignment.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-31-2012 at 10:28am
Well I wondered where I got the idea that it had to be checked annually, so I looked at the owners manual - it just says to spin the prop to check for binding. I then found this old post from Eric suggesting annual alignment:

Posted: March-19-2007 at 12:15pm

perfect scenario is to check it in the water if you can, these boats are very short and rigid and you can get by on the trailer, its the 25 footers and up that should always be checked in the water, any time you strike an object it is a goood idea to check the alignment, i would add it to the spring list of checking it once a year. boats with rotted stringers should be checked more often if that problem is not fixed. if you do decide to check it in the water at least let it sit overnight or longer to let the boat settle to its natural state.
Alignment is often overlooked and is as important as checking the oil, I dont try to advertise this to much because, well you know...
but alot of transmissions i see are failed due to mis-alignment and it causes hard part damage, vibrations, excess heat and so on

Ben Franklin
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TX Foilhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-31-2012 at 11:19am
And there we have it, Pet owes everyone an apology. Lol
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-31-2012 at 12:28pm
Owning a boat, even a classic inboard is not rocket science and doesn’t require one to own a set of feeler gauges or to have a mechanic on speed dial ..

Personally I do what is recommended in the owners manual which is
“Periodically check alignment by visually inspecting and turning the prop to assure yourself that it turns freely with no binding”
I suspect that for most people doing more than that on a boat that hasn’t recently hit something is far more likely to cause harm than good.   Even if it has hit something a good spin by hand has always told me whether it was limited to the prop or if the problem went deeper.

A couple spins of the prop by hand on a boat I am looking at to buy tells the same tale, if it is loose in the strut or binds at one or more points while turning around I am deducting the cost of the parts from the bell housing back from my offer…

For the poll - I aligned my 83 when I put in the new stringers, transmission, and mounts five years ago.. I have had the engine out a few times since then, and even switched blocks but haven’t removed or adjusted the trans, bell housing, or the engine mounts.. each time I bolted up the new engine then gave the propeller a spin and decided not to touch it so that is one actual alignment in 5 years. But I give it a good spin every chance I get (10+ times a year)
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-31-2012 at 12:30pm
I know the last time I checked mine was after Eric rebuilt the tranny which was about 4 years ago I think. I haven't checked it since then but I do throughout the year grab the prop to see how freely it spins (usually everytime we stop for break and play in the water I'll dive under and check it). I think y'all have brought up a good point as we've all heard/read the stories of misaligned shafts and guys here injured because of it. Probably not a bad idea to check it before the first outing of 2013. I'm glad you guys brought it up.
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
tbeard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tbeard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-01-2013 at 9:23pm
Great timing on this topic. We just finished painting the bilge and ready to install the engine. I did not remove the shaft from the boat. Watching Pete's video I am thinking I should loosen all 4 engine mounts and make sure they move freely before installation. I am positive I will have to tweak the engine to meet/exceed the .003 max spec requirements. Is there anything else I need to consider prior to assembly?
Thanks.......Tom
lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-01-2013 at 10:13pm
Check mine every 100 hrs when I also replace the transmission fluid.

If you're going through hell, keep going

89 Ski

<a href="http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5685" ta
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-02-2013 at 1:18am
Originally posted by tbeard tbeard wrote:

Is there anything else I need to consider prior to assembly?

If the cutlass bearing has not been replaced in the last couple of years, now is the time to do that.

Ben Franklin
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-02-2013 at 1:21am
Originally posted by lewy2001 lewy2001 wrote:

Check mine every 100 hrs when I also replace the transmission fluid.

Lewy - How often do you have to adjust it?

Ben Franklin
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic