Forums
NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Adding trailer brakes

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
summitnautique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote summitnautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Adding trailer brakes
    Posted: March-31-2008 at 4:36pm
I did a search on this but the results where kind of spotty. I would like to add brakes (surge or electric not sure what to use) to a 87' CC trailer. I pulled the wheel and it has a square mount plate behind I assume would be for brakes. Anyone do this add? I live in Rocky mountains and tow with a 05 Tacoma V6 which is fine but some help with braking would be great. Since I don't have brakes I won't tow much more then 15 miles to a local lake - but want to make a Lake Powell trip this summer.

Thanks - Oh yeah it just snowed 15in here - and all I can think about is the boat!?!
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-31-2008 at 4:53pm
I just put this set up on an older trailer. surge brakes.

Very easy install, I really haven't put any miles on the system yet but in my test drive I could feel them working.

You can’t change the wind but you can adjust your sails

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote summitnautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-31-2008 at 4:55pm
Nice... that seems fairly straightforward.

thanks
gn6027 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gn6027 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-02-2008 at 10:49pm
summit,
   I did the exact thing you are asking about to my '87 trailer back in '00 when I bought our boat. I went with the drum hydraulic surge brakes. I considered disk brakes, but decided against them as I didn't find much on the market back in '00.

Electric brakes were out due to submersion in water. Submersion in water & electric just don't mix in my book.

I went with Dexter brakes and hubs (www.dexteraxle.com). They bolted right onto the square mounting plate you mention. I bought the free-backing version.

I bought an Atwood actuator, and it bolted right onto the tounge of the trailer in place of the original.

The Dexter site has a ton of info so check it out.

I can dig out the Dexter part numbers on what I bought if you would like.

I also jumped up a size in bearings (on the OD) when I did the upgrade. I also went with the e-coated backing plates for added corrosion resistance. It was worth a couple of extra bucks.

Glen
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-03-2008 at 1:16am
As usual from you or your Dad...job done to a "T".

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote summitnautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-07-2008 at 3:43pm
Thanks - I am going to go with drum surge setup. I let you know how it turns out.

-ryan
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-07-2008 at 8:17pm
Originally posted by gn6027 gn6027 wrote:

summit,
Electric brakes were out due to submersion in water. Submersion in water & electric just don't mix in my book.
Glen

I've had electrics on one of my trailers for over 20 years. I put them on when I rebuilt and painted it. I haven't had a single problem! If it was a issue, you would have a problem driving in the rain. The eletro magnets are potted.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
gn6027 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gn6027 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-08-2008 at 3:07pm
I have electric brakes on my tandem axle flat bed, and they work great in that application. The difference between the applications is that my tandem axle doesn't get the hubs submerged in water like my boat trailer.

I realize the magnets are potted, and driving in the rain doesn't pose a problem due the centrifugal effect to sling the water away from the entire brake assembly.

Again, submersion in water & electric don't go well together in my book.

I know my trailer lights get submerged, but I don't have much choice there. At least they are somewhat sealed. I do unplug them before I back into the water.

JMHO.

Glen
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic