NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Trailer brake system

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Chopper View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Trailer brake system
    Posted: November-11-2007 at 10:57pm
Hi all,
My original trailer for my 89 ski has drum brakes, with hydraulic lines that attache to .....    

Nothing!

Can anyone advise me how the hydraulic brakes work on a CC trailer.? I have the standard fixed coupling, but no way to activate the brakes.

I would have assumed a slide actuator with reservior arrangement, but mine looks like it never had anything.??

Are the brakes required to assist the tow vehicle when towing, or are they only for keeping the boat stationary when the boat is parked.?

Either way, I need to modify mine so they work.

Any Ideas.?

boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-11-2007 at 11:14pm
Chopper, remove the tires, hub/drum assy. Remove the four bolts that hold the backing plate and shoe assy. and deposit in the nearest trash can.
Unless you are pulling that boat with a toy car or truck surge brakes are not really needed.
No they do not work as parking brakes, when static.
Root View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Root Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-11-2007 at 11:47pm
Originally posted by Chopper Chopper wrote:

Either way, I need to modify mine so they work.

Any Ideas.?

I'll 2nd that.   take them off and throw them in the weeds
RootRacing
Chopper View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-12-2007 at 1:27am
Thanks for the "advice", but unfortunately in AUS surge brakes are required by law for any trailer GMV over 1360 lbs.

So that means that I either need to get them working, or replace them with something that does.

My truck is rated to tow 5450 lbs, so it's not an issue, but the above still applies.

Are the factory brakes surge brakes of some kind, or what is their "intended" use other than trash can weights
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-12-2007 at 1:37am
Assuming it is an 89 factory trailer, then yes, surge brakes from the factory. BKH
Livin' the Dream

SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-12-2007 at 4:21am
Chopper - See Champion trailer website. They sell all the parts of the brake system. I just rebuilt our trailer. Adjusting them is tricky - you need to get both sides to come on at the same time. good luck.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-12-2007 at 4:50pm
Chopper:

It seems that the PO (or someone) installed the very rare similuted trailer brake system (assuming to get past the casual authority). Anyway, I am betting that your trailer is also missing the drum brake "guts" since you stated your lines are not connected to anything.

So, there are three common systems:

1. Hydraulic drum
2. Hydraulic disk
3. Electric drum

I would stay away from electric as the system does not like being submerged in water and will not last long.

Hydraulic drum setup with be the least expensive and easiest to install/setup, but will require more maintenance than hydraulic disks.

If it was me, I would go the hydraulic disk route.

Either hydraulic system will require a surge actuator. However, they are not both the same, so make sure you get the proper actuator if going the disk route.

Once you decide, there are many on this site that can guide you through the process.
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-12-2007 at 5:20pm
Chopper,

I just purchased a complete brake kit from Champion. Haven't started installing it yet but it looks to be pretty simple. Only thing I could add to David F's post is to read this linked article before deciding disc over drum as the gross weight of your boat/trailer plays heavily into which system is best for your needs. I had originally planned to go disk but it seems anything less than 3000lbs would be better suited to drums and 3000+ is the time to start thinking about disk. I'm right at that weight and after talking to the tech people at Champion I decided to go Drum. Disk or Drum I do agree that drums are a bit more of a pain because of adjusting and maintenance. If you go with disk you will also need a reverse lockout solenoid.
You can’t change the wind but you can adjust your sails
87BFN owner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-12-2007 at 6:41pm
You do not have to have the reverse lock out soleniod, you simply put the chain hook through the hole, so it will not allow the brakes to be actuated while backing up the trailer.
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-12-2007 at 7:24pm
Originally posted by 87BFN owner 87BFN owner wrote:

You do not have to have the reverse lock out soleniod, you simply put the chain hook through the hole, so it will not allow the brakes to be actuated while backing up the trailer.

I guess that would be ok if you didn't mind getting out and doing that each time you need to back up. Call me lazy but I don't think I'd skip putting one on for the $50.
You can’t change the wind but you can adjust your sails
Chopper View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-12-2007 at 10:41pm
Originally posted by David F David F wrote:

Chopper:

It seems that the PO (or someone) installed the very rare similuted trailer brake system (assuming to get past the casual authority). Anyway, I am betting that your trailer is also missing the drum brake "guts" since you stated your lines are not connected to anything.

I haven't actually checked the "guts" yet. Might look into that this weekend when I do the wheel bearings / races.

The lines are connected to the bacl of the drums and tee together on the axle, but the line from there has been cut, and there is no sign of any kind of brake actuator.?

If there are infact no insides to my drums, I will probably convert to cable operated disc arrangement with slide actuation at the tow hitch.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-12-2007 at 10:48pm
It's really not that big of a deal. I always unplug my lights anyway, so I am already back there.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-13-2007 at 11:55am
Originally posted by 87BFN owner 87BFN owner wrote:

It's really not that big of a deal. I always unplug my lights anyway, so I am already back there.

You unplug the lights every time you back the boat up? Or just when you launch it?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-13-2007 at 6:11pm
Just when I launch, but I only had to use the hook trick for about a week until I could get a five prong plug for the trailer for the 01 sport. The trailer under the air has a different set up. Plus when I got the boat home someone had the get out so we knew how far to back it in the garage and they would slide the hook into the hole.

Besides I am not saying not to buy the soleniod, I was mearly stating that it is not a must.
gn6027 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gn6027 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-14-2007 at 10:57am
dexteraxle.com has a ton of info on trailer brake systems, etc.
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-15-2007 at 1:06am
Hi-ya Glen...hows it goin'?

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
Chopper View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-26-2007 at 1:31am
Can anyone provide a part number for the wheel cylinders.?

My brake system is good except for these.
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-26-2007 at 1:08pm
I could be wrong, but I believe they are pretty much all the same (i.e universal) for a particular brake size of which you probably have 10" brakes (12" brakes use the same size cylinder). The common brand names are Attwood, Tie Down, and Titan. Look for aluminum wheel cylinders for better anti-corrosion properties.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-26-2007 at 2:19pm
When redoing the brakes on the boat trailer I usually pull the end caps off the wheel cylenders and run a bead of permatex around it to help seal it.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic