Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Trans/Driveshaft Alignment Help

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Shortline View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shortline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Trans/Driveshaft Alignment Help
    Posted: November-04-2006 at 6:57pm
I struck a rock at idle speed (at the end of slalom course). The prop was heavily damaged. Pulled and inspected the boat. Replaced the prop. Put her back in the water. Now there is a lot of vibration.

Determined that the drive shaft is not aligned properly with the transmission. There is more space (visible to the naked eye) on the left side than the right side (where the shaft connects to the tranny). But I cannot figure out how to adjust the silly thing.

That is a photo of the transmission mount. Can somebody try to walk me through this one?

Thanks,
Bill
It wouldn't be that hard if the balls weren't so far apart and the boat wasn't going so damn fast!
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-05-2006 at 8:07am
I feel you should check the shaft and the strut for straightness. Some thing besides the prop was damaged. Pete

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-05-2006 at 8:40am
Don't touch that alignment yet, it's highly unlikely that you messed up the alignment with a bump at idle speed.

First thing is make sure the new prop is on correctly, try removing it and make sure the key is not too far forward in the keyway. I've done that myself and the prop does not seat correctly.

If that checks out you need to make sure your shaft is not bent.

I think messing with that alignment is last on the list
You can’t change the wind but you can adjust your sails
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-05-2006 at 8:46am
al, couldnt of said it better
"the things you own will start to own you"
Shortline View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shortline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-05-2006 at 9:12am
Thanks for the tips. There are several reasons I believe the alignment is off and it is not the driveshaft or improper prop installation:

o when rotating the driveshaft it turns freely to a point then "hangs" for a moment

o when rotating the driveshaft the center point of the end of the driveshaft does not change position

o looking at the coupler at the transmission; when rotating the driveshaft the gap on the left stays wider than the gap on the right despite the shaft rotating.

o I have removed and reinstalled the prop twice while trouble shooting and the vibration remains

o I am not certain it was aligned before the rock

Are there further checks to determine if maybe the strut is the problem. What would be your next step?

Thank you,
Bill
It wouldn't be that hard if the balls weren't so far apart and the boat wasn't going so damn fast!
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-05-2006 at 9:37am
with mis-alignment, there is always a bind on the shaft, it follows as you turn the shaft with the shaft bolted, if your shaft is bent the gap you see will rotate and open at different points, if you think you have mis-alignment the gap will stay in the same spot.
you must do this in order, mis alignment is not kind to borg warners or any other transmission, mis-alignment causes MAJOR damage what i mean by major is $1000.00 plus damage. alignment is the last and most critical thing you do, from my point of view there is nothing more important on a boat than alignment, but from my point of view i love the guys that dont check it, keeps me busy... it is hard to knock a boat out of alignment. but time and wear will cause M-A. inspect the drive line(shaft, prop, trans output, strut) then go to your alignment. truly the correct way to check alignment is in the water after the boat sits for 24 hours but due to circumstances you probably have to do it on the trailer. on some of the larger boats i work on with 6 or 8 ' shafts i have to pull the trans and send it to the machine shop just for this reason because the output bearings spin in the bore and take the case out. it is a m-f-er were talking 4 or 5 days from start to finish, but M-A is just as crucial on any boat
Shortline View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shortline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-05-2006 at 7:49pm
The gap stays in the same spot when I rotate the shaft. I used a laser aiming device centered on the end of the drive shaft and rotated the driveshaft 360 deg. The laser spot did not change position on the end of the shaft. Inside, with the shaft disconnected when I rotate the shaft 360 deg the gap stays the same. I am pretty sure the engine and tranny are out of alignment.

How do I correct the problem? It looks like the transmission mounts might have some lateral adjustment but I can't figure out how to get the engine/trans unit to move laterally.

I certainly don't want thousands of dollars worth of damage. Thanks for your input.

Bill
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-06-2006 at 7:52am
from your picture i see horizontal and vertical adjustment, obviously you have the up and down figured out with the 1 1/8 nuts.
for side to side youll have to loosen that nut and bolt closest to the trans and that unclamps the mount, it is round and slides in and out, take a close look, you have to loosen both sides and move it accordingly. if you dont understand pleas give me a call and i will explain 877-369-6693   eric
Shortline View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shortline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-06-2006 at 7:30pm
Eric,

I suspected that to be the technique. However, it is very stubborn and won't simply pivot into the proper position once the nuts are loosened and the bolts move freely.

Thanks,
Bill

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-06-2006 at 7:49pm
you may have to use a chisel or screwdriver to spred the slot, loosen the clamp bolt and you will see a slot in the same general area, im not one to use screwdrivers this way but it is the best tool to use for it, tap it into the slot and it will open it up for you making it much easier to grt your side to side
Tomski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tomski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-07-2006 at 4:51am
Eric,

I hope your snap-on representative isn't reading this thread!
Easily Parted From Money
Shortline View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shortline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-07-2006 at 6:29pm
The Snap-On guy can breath easy. I pulled it off without breaking anything but a sweat. However, I am still .005" out of alignment. Seems like when I get it right it shifts slightly when I tighten everything back down. What is a safe tolerance?
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-07-2006 at 6:44pm
I believe it is .003" try leaving the bolts snug and using a big pry bar to move it. You should also be able to use the jack screws to dial this last little bit in as well too.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic