Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Can I just buy snaps anywhere?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
JeremyG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeremyG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Can I just buy snaps anywhere?
    Posted: May-25-2006 at 4:13pm
Grabbed all my snaps that I took off 3-4 years ago, looking ahead to find out what i need to replace and what I can reuse... they are in bad shape.

So, where do I find new "male" sides of the snaps that can screw into the boat to hold a cover?

I'm not attempting to keep the boat completely stock/correct, and price is an issue, so I don't necessarily NEED OEM snaps, just ones that work.

1980 Ski Nautique... Undergoing (mostly unneeded) Restoration

Ongoing Pictures of Restore:

http://jgap.com/v-web/gallery/album01
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-25-2006 at 9:44pm
I dont think there is such a thing as OEM snaps. I have never seen a CC that came from the factory with them installed- it was most likely done by a previous owner. I would think you could get snaps that would work at a fabric or upholstery shop. Any place that makes custom canvases is bound to have them as well.

bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-25-2006 at 9:50pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

I dont think there is such a thing as OEM snaps. I have never seen a CC that came from the factory with them installed- it was most likely done by a previous owner. I would think you could get snaps that would work at a fabric or upholstery shop. Any place that makes custom canvases is bound to have them as well.

Well, the bow cover snaps on the late 90s, early 2000s models were OEM. Just busting your chops - I know what you mean

Upholstery shop, canvas shop, good hardware store, you should be able to find them pretty easily.
Livin' the Dream

JeremyG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeremyG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-25-2006 at 9:50pm
Hmmm... interesting. I guess I just assumed it comes from the factory like that.

Now to decide if I want to fill the 75 or so little holes and paint over them, or if I want to replace the snaps... my cover was destroyed so if I get a new cover I doubt it will match the snaps anyway.

Urrgh, that's another good 6-8 hours of grinding out and filling :)

1980 Ski Nautique... Undergoing (mostly unneeded) Restoration

Ongoing Pictures of Restore:

http://jgap.com/v-web/gallery/album01
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-26-2006 at 9:21am
If a new cover is made they can re-use the snap locations. On mine there are actually two different snap patterns one for a cockpit cover that attaches to the windshield and top of the gunnel and another one under the rube rail for the road cover.
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-26-2006 at 12:53pm
Marine stores have the "snaps" I wonder if the marine snaps use stainless steel to ward off corrosion? Just a thought. Update: I just looked in my Boaters World catalog and there are two sizes 3/8" and 5/8". With and without screws studs already in place. With screw studs cost between $5.00 and $6.00 per 12-pack depending on size. Catalog says nothing about SS or other metal.
Siveck View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Siveck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-27-2006 at 11:40pm
Those can be found at Academy Sports if there is one near you.
1975 Ski Nautique
"Small Letter Boat"
wsbpro1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wsbpro1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-23-2007 at 9:34am
Can anyone out there give me some advise on cover snap placement. Just purchased an 07 206 and before I have a cover made I am not to sure where the snaps should be placed. I'm looking for suggestions so not to have the snaps stand out too bad.
wsbpro1@comcast.net
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-23-2007 at 10:24am
make sure you do get the stainless, alot boats have steel ones and rust and leave rust stains dripping down at every snap
"the things you own will start to own you"
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-23-2007 at 10:43am
On my 206 The dealer put them on the underside of my rubrail, not what I asked for and had they told me beforehand I would have objected to any snaps anywhere. There are probably 6 or 8 snaps on each side. With a good quality drawstring cover snaps are not necessary. If you have a tower I would strongly recommend you look at how the connections around the legs are made.

Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-23-2007 at 11:02am
Originally posted by quinner quinner wrote:

On my 206 The dealer put them on the underside of my rubrail, not what I asked for and had they told me beforehand I would have objected to any snaps anywhere. There are probably 6 or 8 snaps on each side. With a good quality drawstring cover snaps are not necessary. If you have a tower I would strongly recommend you look at how the connections around the legs are made.

I like a snap less boat, but if you're going to have them, they should be under the rub rail. At least your dealer did that. The trend around here the past few years is to put them above the rub rail. Talk about UGLY and the way to ruin a nice boat.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-23-2007 at 3:26pm
When you get the snaps at a marine supply like West, they will be stainless. One suggestion is to use the stud type which is a sheet metal srew built in. The other type uses POP rivets to install them I don't like POP rivets on fibergla$$ because they hold by expanding in the hole. This expansion can cause the gla$$ to stress crack around the hole. When you use the stud (screw) type, make sure the pilot hole you drill is large enough. The screw should go in easy.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
gn6027 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gn6027 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-24-2007 at 5:15pm
Go to www.mcmaster.com and search for canvas snaps. Page 3215 will come up with a variety of options. I think they are cheaper than a Marine store. Delivery is always ASAP. Usually cheaper than West Marine.
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-24-2007 at 10:02pm
Hi-ya Glen.

Haven't seen ya on lately.

Remember Scott Monahan? He stopped to see me and Patti a couple of weeks ago. Had a great time.

john

"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic