Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Nautique WONT START!!!!

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
nautiman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nautiman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Nautique WONT START!!!!
    Posted: June-22-2008 at 2:36am
Ive got a 79 ski nautique, ive replaced the starter, ring gear, battery, and plugs. The boat ran perfect until i somehow grinded some teeth of the flywheel (why i replaced the teeth). The engine turns over and get a good spark it just wont fire up. Ive used starting fluid and everything, just wont start. It coughs every now and then just wont start. boats been sitting for 2 months, im dying to get on the lake.
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-22-2008 at 11:07am
If you haven't touched anything other than plugs tuneup wise and it ran before you changed them is it possible you messed up the plug wires?

You didn't change points and move the distributor did you?
nautiman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nautiman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-22-2008 at 12:09pm
When i replaced the plugs i did it one cylinder at a time. Same points and distributor. Im stumped. ha
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-22-2008 at 12:20pm
this is a long shot, but based on your description, are you sure you have a right hand rotation starter?
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-22-2008 at 12:25pm
75 i think you nailed it, they will cough out the carb with the wrong rotation starter
nautiman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nautiman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-22-2008 at 12:28pm
Well when i replaced the starter i went to the auto parts store and got one there and yes when it does cough it comes from the carb. how can i be sure of that?? thanks
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-22-2008 at 12:29pm
the cool thing would be is if it started and you put it in forward you would go bacerds
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-22-2008 at 12:30pm
I would say you found or 75 found your problem, kick the sarter and see which way the engine turns
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-22-2008 at 12:31pm
it should turn to the right from the front or CW
nautiman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nautiman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-22-2008 at 12:55pm
Yes it does turn clockwise looking at the pulleys, Ive also have a ski centurion and the motor turns the same way...i bummed thought I solved the mystery...lol
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-22-2008 at 1:22pm
Originally posted by nautiman nautiman wrote:

Well when i replaced the starter i went to the auto parts store and got one there and yes when it does cough it comes from the carb. how can i be sure of that?? thanks

I think we need to make a permanent posting.

DO NOT go to Autozone (or the equivalent) for marine parts!!!!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-22-2008 at 1:35pm
I apoligize!!!!, if you have a right hand engine it should turn to the left from the front!!!!!!!!!!! CCW     looking at the flywheel it will go C.W
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-22-2008 at 1:38pm
Also Rob, what they have failed to mention is that you want to avoid auto store starters for two reasons, one, they go the wrong way and two they are not sufficiently spark resistant for boats (just like alternators). Go to SECC, they will fix you right up.

(I was going to question that Eric, but you caught it)
nautiman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nautiman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-22-2008 at 1:53pm
i believe you guys and it does make since, i just dont understand how my ski centurion with an Indmar 351 turns the same way as the nautique does, and it runs perfect...
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-22-2008 at 2:03pm
Depends on the year. Newer boats turn to the left, older boats, like your Nautique turn to the right.
nautiman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nautiman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-22-2008 at 2:04pm
the only reason i question is because a new marine starter is not cheap....
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-22-2008 at 2:10pm
Very good point, they are a fortune. If you're not in a hurry (and since you have the other boat) maybe you can have your old one rebuilt. I had mine redone about 4 years ago, I think for about $80.
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-22-2008 at 2:19pm
Nautiman,

Centurion's were one of the only boats besides correct craft with reverse rotation. I'm not even sure if Centurion still uses reverse rotation, but at least through the early 90s, it did.

Yes, a marine starter and alternator is more expensive, but if you've ever seen a boat catch fire, it's worth the insurance. BKH
Livin' the Dream

nautiman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nautiman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-22-2008 at 2:32pm
Good point, thank you guys for the great advice. Without you guy, my head would be up my A$$....
nautiman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nautiman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-22-2008 at 2:33pm
<----Very stupid question, and i looked in the help forum, but how do i post pics of my boat??
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-22-2008 at 2:41pm
If you are uploading from your computer, the photo needs to be small. Most people have there pics on photobucket, flicker, or another photo hosting site, and do a link to that site. There is a sticky post at the top of the forums with instructions how to post a pic from photobucket.

BKH
Livin' the Dream

75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-22-2008 at 4:11pm
If you want to post a picture of your boat in a post/thread, do what BKH said, but based on your arrow, I am guessing you want an avatar under your name. To do that, you first have to post your boat in the diaries. Go to diaries and follow instructions under "post your story". It might take Keith or Brad a day or two to add it. Then go to your profile and enter your posting number (in your diary URL, the four digit number) in the designated spot in your profile.

Good luck with the starter issue and welcome to the site.
nautiman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nautiman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-23-2008 at 7:20pm
Just wanted to thank you 75 tique....absolutely nailed it. I went to Southeast Correct Craft and got the right starter and went out on the boat today, no problems!!!!!!!!
behindpropeller View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote behindpropeller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-23-2008 at 7:26pm
what did you do with your old starter??? I'mlooking for one to rebuild.

Brktracer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brktracer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-24-2008 at 1:45pm
Starter mistake isn't so bad. I built the engine to run CW and figured out it should be CCW when I had everything in and started to adjust the valves! It took me a minute to figure out why the valves weren't opening at the right time!

I had to pull it back out, change cam and seals and reinstall! Not the first time or the last I've had to pull a "new" engine!

Matt
Brktracer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brktracer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-24-2008 at 1:50pm
Oh, almost forgot...I had to buy two marine starters.

The gear was burned off the first one when the relay hung up. I was starting the engine for the first time and starter stayed engaged. 2,000 RPM with the starter engaged didn't let it last long. By the time I figured out what that noise was it was too late! It literally burned the teeth off the starter gear! I got really lucky, I still don't understand why, it didn't damage the teeth on the ring gear at all!

So my first starter lasted about 5 minutes. The second one is still going strong!

Matt
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-24-2008 at 2:37pm
Originally posted by bkhallpass bkhallpass wrote:

Centurion's were one of the only boats besides correct craft with reverse rotation. I'm not even sure if Centurion still uses reverse rotation, but at least through the early 90s, it did.

Supras switched somewhere in the late 80s, alongside the Nautiques.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-24-2008 at 3:13pm
Your right. The centurions probably changed rotation of motor in the late 80s and spun the prop reverse with the transmission as did the others. Not sure. I do know when I drive them, they back up "bacerds." BKH
Livin' the Dream

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic