NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Latest addition to our family

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
WakeSlayer View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Latest addition to our family
    Posted: March-09-2008 at 1:16pm
Hi Everyone,

I wanted to introduce the latest Correct Craft in our family. Yesterday I brought home a 68 Mustang. This is my fourth Correct Craft, and I currently still have a 99 SAN. My wife and kids are too nervous to take my baby out when I am not at home, so now they can go out and have their own fun. This boat needs some TLC and I am really excited about working on it. I am going to have a million questions for you guys that restore these classics.
It was 10* yesterday so we did not even hook up a hose to it. We dry ran it for about 10 seconds to make sure it sounded right. I am sending the rest of the money after the lake thaws and I can run it for a couple minutes. One concern is the steering seemed to be frozen (literally, like the cable is wet or something), and I assume it would not hurt to replace the steering cable, I will confirm after it is warmer, but I definitely think there is something goofy there. Also, the trans was in neutral but the motor was spinning the prop pretty good at idle. Is this because of the cold? I suspect it also needs a new cutlass bearing (?) in the shaft strut. The hull has been painted and there are some scratches, and cracks. Is rubbing it out going to improve the look of the paint ? Or am I going to rub through it and make it look worse? Only one motor mount bolt was loose so I feel like the stringers are in decent shape. I will leave it at that, for now, but I plan on doing a ton of resto work to this little gem. Here are a couple pics. That is road gunk on the front of the bow and will get that washed off today, was too cold last night....

Mike N

1968 Mustang

Kristof View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kristof Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-09-2008 at 1:51pm
A very nice boat Mike!
Hope you and your family will have a lot of joy in restoring and driving her!
- Gun control means: using BOTH hands!
- Money doesn't make one happy, but when it rains cats and dogs, it's still better to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle...

boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-09-2008 at 2:03pm
Mike, cool boat,....
Glad to see it end up in the hands of someone that will bring her back to her former glory.
Exterior ain't bad, inside needs ???????
Got the Correct motor tho, Go Blue Oval...
You will find this is a complete 180 of the '99 SAN, just a cool boat to run and to show off, CONGRATS ON THE NEW RIDE.....Boat dr
05 210 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 05 210 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-09-2008 at 2:40pm
    Congrats on the new ride Mike,

I hope to someday be in your situation....A nice old cruiser tied up next to the modern wakeboard rig.You came to the right place....all the info you need can be found right here.Sounds like you got some time waiting for the weather to get it water ready,hopefully just some minor issues.I'm sure Eric has some insight on the prop spinning in neutral.

Mike
Air Nautique 210 Team

640 hours, not 1 regret
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-09-2008 at 2:50pm
Mike , maybe a little too cold for a "clean neutral" oil viscosity or as major as a tranny rebuild.Either way I would wait till the weather is a little warmer.
Mine will spin in N here at 65 deg. Just food for thought, Eric will probably disagree, but he rebuilt mine.......
Boat dr
05 210 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 05 210 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-09-2008 at 3:08pm
Originally posted by boat dr boat dr wrote:

maybe a little too cold for a "clean neutral"

Doc,
   I was wondering the same thing.That oil causing the plates to drag in those cold temps.I can't imagine you have too much cold down there in the deep south.We should get to 25 deg.today with 40mph gusts.C'mon Spring

Mike
Air Nautique 210 Team

640 hours, not 1 regret
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-09-2008 at 3:57pm
Mike woke to a "FROST" light as it was, still rather chilly . Temps do drop here but not for long.
Easter week end highs of 78 deg.What a time for the kids looking for EGGS..........
Will be expected to put the old girl in Sunday and get her wet, tough job , but somebody gotta do it............... Congrats again on that find.......Boat dr
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-09-2008 at 4:32pm
I can't believe nobody said anything about the distributor. Take the sherwood pump off and rotate it, and do away with all those 90 degree plumbing pieces.
Tim D
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-09-2008 at 4:43pm
If we were going to bash him , I would not start at the Vacuum advance, I would go straight to the fuel line and the in line filter.
But this will come after he has been here a while.Easy does it with the newbies Tim........
There are possibly other safety issues here as well, but let him look and ask first.................Boat dr

Carb,starter and alternator need to be checked for marine designation.......
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-09-2008 at 5:25pm
I didn't realize I was bashing. And dr, you forgot the inline fuel filter.
Tim D
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-09-2008 at 5:32pm
Mike, Glad you found the boat that your wife and kids can use without worrying. I too have my 77 for the day to day wife and kids use. My wife feels that if she scratched ether of my wood boats that it would be grounds for divorce. She may be correct!!

Be careful without getting water to the boat. I'm one who recommends against dry running a boat. I've seen water pump impellers blown from it.

Go easy on the buffing - yes, you may go through the paint but that's hard to say because we don't know how much paint is on it! Start with a real mild compound or even a "cleaning" wax.

When you get settled, we have seen some issues that you do new to address on the engine. You have come to the right place to get the right answers!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-09-2008 at 5:48pm
Originally posted by boat dr boat dr wrote:

If we were going to bash him , I would go straight to the fuel line and the in line filter.
But this will come after he has been here a while.Easy does it with the newbies Tim........
There are possibly other safety issues here as well, but let him look and ask first.................Boat dr

Carb,starter and alternator need to be checked for marine designation.......

Tim I stated WE ,on the bashing, a little humor about a serious saftey issue.And as stated above I did see the filter , guess my spelling was incorrect,in line VS inline.my bad.........
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-09-2008 at 6:05pm
You did mention filter, my fault.
Tim D
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-09-2008 at 6:11pm
Looks like a keeper Mike.Bring it to Green Lake this summer,we could always use another blue Mustang!
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-09-2008 at 6:36pm
Hi Guys

OK, now that you have made some observations.
What about the distributor ?

Rotate the water pump clockwise ? 90*? 180*? I did notice all the goofy plumbing stuff.

What about the fuel line and filter? Is that no-no having plastic on a marine engine, I take it?

what about the vacuum advance?

I am eagerly awaiting tinkering with it. I still have 3-4 weeks before I can get it wet.

Pete, when we started it the owner had squirted some dish soap down into the impeller and it literally was only 10 seconds.

I have been a lurker for the most part on this site, but have been an active member of PN for some time.

thanks !!

Mike
Mike N

1968 Mustang

Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-09-2008 at 7:07pm
The intake and output on the pump should face down.
Tim D
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-09-2008 at 7:41pm
Thanks Tim !! I suspect that the fuel filter I see in yours is what I should have also, as opposed to the big plastic can that i have.
Mike N

1968 Mustang

Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-09-2008 at 7:46pm
No, don't get one of those filters. I put it there for reference for fuel flow, and several here say it's dangerous/crazy, but it has been there about 12 years. Also dangerous is the fuel line from the fuel pump to the carb, which I've had it that way for 18 years.
Tim D
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-09-2008 at 8:05pm
Mike, Tim posted a picture as a reference to his plumbing and then got bashed on his fuel filter and the rubber hose from the pump to the carb!!!! His fuel filter is a Tempo made for suction service on outboards. The high pressure line from the pump to the carb should be steel. The filter on yours has been added possibly because the gas tank has crud or rust in it. You should siphon it out and that a look.

Glad to here the PO used the dish soap!

The distributor the PO used is a automotive. Marines are mechanical advance and not vacuum. Something about the RPM torque curve they operate in. One of our more gearhead oriented guys will be able to explain it better.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-09-2008 at 8:42pm
brainy, I got bashed for that filter before you were ever on this website and for a pic before that one.
Tim D
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-09-2008 at 9:21pm
Tim, I'm sorry, I didn't know it was brought to your attention twice. Thanks for informing me.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-09-2008 at 10:01pm
Originally posted by WakeSlayer WakeSlayer wrote:

I have been a lurker for the most part on this site, but have been an active member of PN for some time.

Mike

Well I hope you have as much fun with the new one as you do with the old one or vice versa, welcome
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-09-2008 at 10:27pm
Ha. I am sure I will! Thank you!
Mike N

1968 Mustang

81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-09-2008 at 10:31pm
Mike, Aren't you a midwest guy, you should get to Green Lake this July and meet all these fanatics. It's a great time.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-10-2008 at 12:42am
I thought I had seen this boat before. Welcome!
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-10-2008 at 12:58am
How do you remember all this stuff Tim?

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-10-2008 at 11:11am
Originally posted by Tim D Tim D wrote:

No, don't get one of those filters. I put it there for reference for fuel flow, and several here say it's dangerous/crazy, but it has been there about 12 years. Also dangerous is the fuel line from the fuel pump to the carb, which I've had it that way for 18 years.

Do you still have the rubber fuel line and filter? So are you saying it has been good for this many years, but if it blows up tomorrow that is the only bad day?
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-10-2008 at 11:59am
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

The distributor the PO used is a automotive. Marines are mechanical advance and not vacuum. Something about the RPM torque curve they operate in. One of our more gearhead oriented guys will be able to explain it better.

The main problem is that it is an automotive distributor and therefore lacks the spark arresting screens and otherwise air tight construction that is required to keep the boat from blowing up. The vacuum advance is the giveaway that it is an automotive piece, it doesn't cause any problem in itself it just isnt necessary or useful in a marine application. A vacuum advance in the automotive world gives more spark advance in lightly loaded (crusing) conditions for fuel economy, in a boat there really arent lightly loaded conditions because the hull is always pushing through the water therefore the vacuum advance is unnecessary.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-10-2008 at 12:13pm
BTW you can get A1 rated rubber fuel hose that is acceptable in leiu of the steel line, it is however typically about $3 a foot for 3/8" id.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-10-2008 at 1:22pm
Originally posted by jbear jbear wrote:

How do you remember all this stuff Tim?

john

John, Tim has no live and just sits at the computer all day and night hoping Quinner will stop over for the night.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic