NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Measurements on side lettering

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
bk_broiler View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bk_broiler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Measurements on side lettering
    Posted: February-19-2008 at 3:01am
Hey folks,

The 1981 Ski Nautique restore is coming across quite nicely and I'm just about ready to post some pictures of where it's at.

Another question for all your 80/81 owners:

I am going to have the letters printers as gerber masks so I can repaint the letters. I have the graphic, but I wanted to confirm with you the length I want for the letters. I have the height of the letters at 7 5/8 and about 80" as the width. I thought I saw more precise measurements on here, but after quite a bit of searching, I couldn't re-find the thread.   Can anyone help?

I think if I can't get the info, I'll just have the sign shop extrapolate from 7 5/8" tall to get the length from the file, but I'm curious.

THanks,

Brian
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-19-2008 at 7:47am
Brian, Can you trace whats still on the boat?
Jay in this thread is trying to do the same.
Jay's 81 graphics

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-19-2008 at 1:26pm
ok the lettering is all ready done and in the ref section with a jpeg and a plotable file for the vynal shop to use. I think what you guys are missing is that it's just the C.C. is on the same page as the ski nautique but is used in two seperate locations within the stripe and that the actual lettering is the hull its self and that it's the stripe that is painted around it so all you have to do is layout the lettering where it belongs, mask off the rest of the stripe and paint away.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bk_broiler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-20-2008 at 12:08am
Hey 79,

I have the files from the reference section-- do those imply the size at all for the sign shops? I just wanted to make sure the folks at the shop make them to the right dimensions.

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-20-2008 at 11:42am
give the shop the eps files not the jpegs. just double click the link and a zip file will pop up extract and down load those files and save the non .jpeg files to a disk or cd and take it the the shop and you done.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-20-2008 at 12:43pm
Chris, BK is asking if the files are to scale. I assume that they are, but thats a question for Alan (81Nautique), as he's the one who did all the work in creating them.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-20-2008 at 1:25pm
yes I believe they are correct as Allen is pretty sharp on things like that.

if there is still a ghost line in the gel then print off some and compare them just add some tape to the ghost lines so you can see them throw the trace paper.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bk_broiler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-20-2008 at 5:15pm
NO ghost line on the boat-- sadly the wetsanding was VERY effective. In any case, I was planning to send the EPS, I just wasn't sure the dimensions were implied in the file. I know the height of the letters (7 5/8", but not the length of the entire SKI NAUTIQUE, and wanted to make sure the shop could find the implied length from the .EPS file (i.e. is it to scale). I'll just go with the height and have ths shop extrapolate from there.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-20-2008 at 5:20pm
I would say it is to size and don't get excited about it. I would be more worried about the width and shape of the strip than the lettering, stuff that is actually getting painted.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bk_broiler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-20-2008 at 7:50pm
79 -- Actually, I'm only using the letters for painting. I'm using them as a mask for painting around the letters (on the 81, as you know, the letters are in fact the gel underneath showing through). So the letters need to be correct to keep things original. The stripes are all measured out, and I have a tracing of those as well...just want the lettering right.
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-20-2008 at 9:37pm
BK, sorry for my absence, hit the slopes with the kids for a few days.

I think the easy answer to your question is YES the files are to scale height and width are exactly what I used to reproduce them on my boat.

call me any night if you really need some help 630-209-3619
You can’t change the wind but you can adjust your sails
critter View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote critter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-20-2008 at 10:38pm
BK, I just took a tape measure out to my 80 and measured from the lower left corner of the "S" to the Lower right corner of the "E" and it measured 85 inches. The "E" does have rounded legs but I just measured to the lower right point.
The graphics on my boat are original as far as I know. Should be, as many scratches as there are.

Hope that that info helps. If I can take any additional measurements, let me know. Boat is just out in the backyard.

Roger
1980 Ski Nautique
1966 Barracuda
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bk_broiler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-21-2008 at 3:39am
Thanks guys! I'll send that info to the sign shop and I should be set!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic