Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Anyone have the 1980/1981 stern template?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
bk_broiler View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bk_broiler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Anyone have the 1980/1981 stern template?
    Posted: January-25-2008 at 10:56pm
Hello everyon,

I know there are templates posted in the reference section for the 1981 Nautique, and for me, those apply to the sides wonderfully (thank you, Alan), but the original stern for my boat had the "Correct Craft" AND "Competition Ski Boat". The template in the reference section only has "Correct Craft". Can anyone help me out by supplying a template with the "Competition Ski Boat" included as well? Perhaps a tracing, or something to that effect? I know there are a LOT of 80 and 81 Ski Nautiques out there. My boat's paint is faded severely on the stern, so much that it is untracable, so I need some help for my restoration.

Thanks!

Thanks!
skicat View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skicat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-25-2008 at 11:40pm
Take a look in the reference section. I think what you are looking for is in there.
Greg

86 BFN
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-26-2008 at 1:02am
Originally posted by skicat skicat wrote:

Take a look in the reference section. I think what you are looking for is in there.

Actually, BK has a good eye. Alan's anniversary boat had the simpler stern graphics- so the set in the reference is missing the "Competition Ski Boat" portion.

Hasbeenskier may have the other style, as he redid a beautiful red '80 recently.
skicat View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skicat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-26-2008 at 1:11am
Guess I need to read better!
Greg

86 BFN
MaddMarxx View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MaddMarxx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-26-2008 at 5:54am

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-26-2008 at 7:07pm
MM, I know BJ's is a bit different, but assumed he had the original tracing. You were able to tape yours off based on the shadows left by the original graphics, right?
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bk_broiler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-26-2008 at 9:15pm
No shadow left. Wetsanded already (the orioginal was a total mess. I may try to take that photo to the sign shop when I go for the gerber mask. Unless anyone has a tracing or file around? HasBenSkier, care to chime in? :)
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-26-2008 at 10:45pm
MM: Forgot how nice those graphics look.

I am even getting more used to the color too.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
MaddMarxx View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MaddMarxx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-26-2008 at 11:18pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

MM, I know BJ's is a bit different, but assumed he had the original tracing. You were able to tape yours off based on the shadows left by the original graphics, right?

Yes mine had some shadow left to go off of, just tape and see-thru sticky paper, but he will have to make some kind of stencil, it will be alot more work, if you do use a stencil just use it to drew the lines do not tape it to the boat, because over-spray will get under it!
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-27-2008 at 11:39am
Originally posted by MaddMarxx MaddMarxx wrote:

but he will have to make some kind of stencil, it will be alot more work, if you do use a stencil just use it to drew the lines do not tape it to the boat, because over-spray will get under it!

Huh?? It's not more work than taping by hand if someone has the file.

The Gerber mask is as thin as fineline masking tape so if you put it on correctly there won't be any overspray issues. Bk, make sure the cuter has a brand new blade in it and it will be perfect.

As for the Competition ski boat, there where a bunch of guys on this site that had vinyl cut a few years ago so the pattern exists. I think Keith set this all up so you may want to drop him an email and see if he still has the file.   Try this thread. If not get the sign shop a good photo and they will be able redraw it.

You'll have to tape off the stripes and deltas on the stern but atleast you have the sides for refereence. Piece of cake, take your time
Brktracer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brktracer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-28-2008 at 3:15pm
I had a sign shop make a stencil for mine. It's a '76. Is there a difference? A good friend of mine runs the sign shop and I'm sure he still has the file. Let me know if you're interested.

Mine says CORRECT CRAFT (slanted print) and under it COMPETITION SKI BOAT (block letters).

Matt
brktracer@hotmail.com
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bk_broiler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-28-2008 at 5:28pm
Matt,

It looks like the letters are the same between the two. if I could get ahold of the file, that'd be a HUGE help. I think the letters are the same, I'd just have to have a reverse stencil made (on the 1976, the letters are painted on, on the 1981, the letters are the part un-painted-- see the picture above), but the lettering and position seem to be the same).

Feel free to email me as well!

Brian

briankauf@gmail.com
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-28-2008 at 6:58pm
the vynal we had done is what you want it's off just a little but you really have to know what's wrong to tell what's not right about it.

Use Allen's link to the shop and get the file or have them make you one.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bk_broiler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-28-2008 at 8:07pm
Where is Allen's link? From the thread 2 years ago?
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-28-2008 at 8:20pm
Sorry 81nautique's post where it says "this thread" hit the link and it will take ytou to it and scroll down and you'll find the info you need
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bk_broiler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-28-2008 at 10:26pm
Wait,

Does anyone from that thread have the file around? I don't want vinyl letters, I need the pattern so I can make a stencil. I'm re-painting the original stern graphic which would require a reverse (on the 1981 the letters are un-painted), so does anyone from that thread have the file or do you think intricate graphics still has it?

Thanks,

Brian
Brktracer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brktracer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-29-2008 at 10:50am
Call Kevin Lynch at Lynch's Signs and Graphics. Phone number is 252-535-7096. Kevin made a stencil for mine out of vinyl and I painted it on. He can cut out the vinyl either way: inside or outside. So...if you want to paint the surrounding area he can cut out the letters for you. He will still have the details in my file. Tell him Matt Ward sent you.

The letters will come on backing paper all in place. It's really easy to put them on and will work great. The vinyl is almost identical to 3M thin line tape. You can check out my graphics on the 76 restoration thread.

All you do is apply the vinyl stencil and then paint the surrounding area. Then just remove the vinyl and you're done!

I will post a picture of my vinyl stencil applied on the boat later today. I can't access photobucket from work.

"the vynal we had done is what you want it's off just a little but you really have to know what's wrong to tell what's not right about it."

Same with mine.   

Matt
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-29-2008 at 12:23pm
Brian,

Follow Matts lead and call his guy, the file will work as he stated. You just tell the sign guy you want a mask as opposed to vinyl letters, the file is the same. Then just tape off your stripes and you'll be good to go.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bk_broiler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-29-2008 at 1:57pm
Hrmm,

The file would be better. I have the file from the reference section with the stripes, it'd make life a WHOLE lot easier if it were one stencil. Actually, I guess all I need is the letters themselves as vinyl, then I can have another stencil made for the stripes (or at least the 'arrows'(from the file in the reference section.

Thanks everyone!
Brktracer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brktracer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-29-2008 at 9:40pm
Stencil applied

Finished product
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic