NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The Separator

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123>
Author
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-05-2007 at 9:26am
Geno, Glad to see that you are making some progress. Don't worry as some projects just take a while to finish. We of coarse are all looking forward to seeing it back in the water all freshened up! Glad to here that you have the problem carb handled.
I may have forgotten but did you ever check out the condition of the stringers? I know "the phantomkaw" ran into a real mess with his. The pictures he posted early on also showed a unusual layout. It seemed the stringers went side to side instead of bow to stern like a "normal" CC. I've never dug into one so I'm curious. I hope the stringers are OK before you go after the deck and hull.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Geno View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Geno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-05-2007 at 11:30am
My stepdad replaced the stringers, foam and deck three years ago with the help of his neighbor that rebuilds boats. I'm awfully glad too - not a job I would want to do.

I'll have to ask him how the ran because he didn't mention they were 90 degrees out of whack, he did mention that they were bad rotten and had been soaked for a long time.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-05-2007 at 11:58am
Cool update. Is the new carb a marine unit? It doesnt look like the old one was.
Geno View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Geno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-05-2007 at 12:44pm
Thew new carb is a Holley 4160 marine application. The old one was a holley 600cfm and not a marine carb - it will probably get refurbed and used in my truck engine rebuild.
Thephantomkaw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thephantomkaw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-06-2007 at 1:05am
I finally replaced the stringers and put a new floor in the torino... (I know, havent taken any pics yet!!) It was a little bigger job than i thought.. Loved every min of it though...
~Michael~
Geno View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Geno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-10-2007 at 2:11pm
Actually got to work on the boat and trailer some this weekend.

Hung the old boat early saturday morning and started on the trailer. Got her torn all the way down about lunch and media blasted maybe half of it before I had to prime what I'd done and go to our son's football banquet.

Got to work yesterday morning around 5:00 am and really did some good. Finished media blasting the trailer and got it primed. Would have been sprayed yesterday but something came up with my bodyman. Hopefully it will be sprayed today.

Sanded a lot on the hull and it's coming along nicely except the bottom paint. That stuf is thermonuclear protected - a da with 100 grit is going so slow I'm getting a little discouraged. Oh well, maybe I'll go to 80 grit and get some damage done to that gross brush stroke laden blue stuff.

Sandblasting (a horrible job - that stuff gets EVERYWHERE and irritates my skin to no end)

more sandblasting

Pete I talked to my body man and the stringers are sideways. He didn't take any pics but he said yeah they were running the wrong way so he just put new glassed in ones right back in the same place.
Geno View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Geno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-11-2007 at 4:15pm
The trailer is being sprayed today - Centauri Black. I have lights, wiring, several dozen black wire clips, a new jack, a new winch and some slight mods (upright bunkers that will bolt to the fender mounts and guide the boat perfectly into place) to install and it will be done.

I'm going with 2" x 6" boards for the bunkers instead of the 2' x 4" lumber that was original and probably gray carpet instead of the blue original. The orig bunkers were in very good shape for such an old trailer but the hardware was rusted so bad I just beat them off with a hammer.

The original bunkers had an angle cut into them so they were angled down toward the centerline and my bodyman/neaighbor/rebuild-cohort seems to think I should set up the table saw and put angles on the new onew. I don't think it matters. Any ideas about that?
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-11-2007 at 4:25pm
Geno, I have replaced the bunks on two of my trailers as well as my lift. I used 2x4's and resawed the angle in them on my band saw. I then took it a step farther and routed the top edges with a 1/2" radius bit. It makes it easy to put the carpet on plus you will not have the sharp corner.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-11-2007 at 4:32pm
Geno the trailer is looking good but that is no way to sand blast, hopefully you weren't actually using sand that stuff is very bad to breathe.

In the interest of those who may want to tackle this project in the future A face shield and a replaceable cartridge respirator are minimum requirements. I usually wear a tyvek suit taped to my gloves at the wrist as well and even with that level of gear I would never use sand.    

I would try to match the angle of the hull as close as possible with the trailer bunks the more distributed the load the better.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
Geno View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Geno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-11-2007 at 4:50pm
Originally posted by JoeinNY JoeinNY wrote:

Geno the trailer is looking good but that is no way to sand blast, hopefully you weren't actually using sand that stuff is very bad to breathe.

In the interest of those who may want to tackle this project in the future A face shield and a replaceable cartridge respirator are minimum requirements. I usually wear a tyvek suit taped to my gloves at the wrist as well and even with that level of gear I would never use sand.    

I would try to match the angle of the hull as close as possible with the trailer bunks the more distributed the load the better.

I was using something called blackblast. Supposedly some sort of finely ground volcanic media similar to glass. It was an awful job to perform and if I do it again I will wear a bit more protective gear. I'm still digging sand out of my ears and blowing it out of my nose lol.
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-11-2007 at 5:38pm
Blackblast, black beauty, and other sl*g based products are less dangerous than the sand, basically just a mechanical irritant so once your done coughing it out you should be good. I have a love hate relationship with media blasting, I love the results hate the process I have a cabinet for the little parts and that can even be enjoyable in small quanties but I have never had the guts to tackle a whole trailer. I do have a setup to do it and a few trailers that could use it so if anyone wants to stop by and practice thier technique feel free...
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-11-2007 at 5:39pm
why the heck is sl*g filtered out?
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
Geno View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Geno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-11-2007 at 5:56pm
Because you might write f a g

Thanks for the info - I've never done it before and had no idea how. My bodyman gave me the blaster, said "don't drop the tip - it's ceramic, just mess around with it and you'll figure out how to use it, don't take it down to bare metal where there's no rust and the paint's bonded good, just go to the factory primer". That was the extent of my training for the media blasting portion of this project.

I actually did it for a while with no safety glasses. I also put my hand in front of the nozzle once when it seemed to not be grinding very well - I strongly advize against doing that and will NEVER do that again.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-11-2007 at 6:24pm

You will also wear through the carpet extremely fast without that angled bunk/hull match.

What is with the keel roller all the way back there? Looks like another ingenious add-on...
Geno View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Geno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-11-2007 at 6:27pm
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

You will also wear through the carpet extremely fast without that angled bunk/hull match.

What is with the keel roller all the way back there? Looks like another ingenious add-on...

Thanks for the bunk help guys.

I'm sure that roller is an add on - it was on the trailer and not new at all. Should I take it off?
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-11-2007 at 6:30pm
Absolutely no need for it, I only see it causing loading problems unless you are on a deep/steep ramp where it doesn't even touch the hull.
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-11-2007 at 7:23pm
the roller would be better use if it was forward on the first cross member. That way it raises the bow and helps center the boat on steep ramps. Being on the rear like it is prevents you from adding/using tracking fins, not that you need them on a deep-V design. But since it is a Deep-V and no tracking fins I would leave it alone and maybe even add a couple more towards the front. just check the rear one and make sure you have plenty of clearance for the running gear.

Kevin stick to those dumb ass bear comments pal.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-11-2007 at 7:45pm
Considering CC never put a keel roller on a trailer, don't see why now all of a sudden it's needed. Also don't see why you want to add the side guide bunks instead of reinstalling the guide posts.

There are no tracking fins on the Separator Chris. Stick to those dump ass Madd comments.

79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-11-2007 at 7:58pm
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

Considering CC never put a keel roller on a trailer, don't see why now all of a sudden it's needed. Also don't see why you want to add the side guide bunks instead of reinstalling the guide posts.

There are no tracking fins on the Separator Chris. Stick to those dump ass Madd comments.

guess you missed the next few words that said "not that you need them on a deep-V design" keep trying Kev.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-11-2007 at 8:57pm
Joe be careful with a cabinet,you should use a respirator with them also.I have a TIP cabinet with their vac system which has 3 filters on it,and I still have dust.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Geno View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Geno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-13-2007 at 1:35am
A pic of the trailer with several coats of centauri black - more coats to follow

A pic of the boat with some oven cleaner bottom paint removal going on - bottom paint is the worst stuff in the world to get off
Thephantomkaw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thephantomkaw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-23-2007 at 1:54am
Originally posted by Geno Geno wrote:

The exhausts were low on the earlier versions and high on the later versions. We're missing the 1969 and 1970 brochures to be able to tell exactly when they were changed. The 71 has them high and 68 has them low.

My Torino is a 1970, So I wouldnt think that Yours is a 1970, unless they made a separator and a torino in the same year?
~Michael~
Geno View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Geno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-23-2007 at 2:21am
You would have to ask an expert about that.

Made some bunks today, couldn't figure out how to use the band saw and couldn't find the tablesaw so I made the rip cuts with my old skilsaw. She didn't like that at all - nearly toasted it twice.

My high tech cutting station - I eventually stacked the two pallets together once my back started hurting - it was a great improvement but I forgot to take a pic.

Had a ratchet strap explode while I was trying to pull the bend in the last couple feet of the bunks and send parts shooting around the shop, luckily they didn't hurt anyone or damage anything. This is my new and improved (and less dangerous) method of bending bunks.

Took a lot more of the bottom paint off, installed a new jack and a bolted a new winch on the nose stop thingy.

Rather productive half day if you ask me.
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-23-2007 at 2:32am
Man am I jealous of your shop.

'Course you are doin' a great job on the trailer too. Just keep them pictures coming!

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
Geno View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Geno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-23-2007 at 2:35am
Clean black trailer with nifty dump truck tail lights that I had on hand
[/QUOTE]
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-23-2007 at 9:37am
Geno, what are you going to do with the bobcat?
Greg
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-23-2007 at 11:56am
Hey Geno, Trailers looking good. I'm almost done with a similar trailer project. As for the 2x4 bunks, it's the first time I've ever gone to the lumber yard and lseached through the rack looking for the boards with the most hook. Found 2 that will make the job easier.

Only suggetsion I have for you is to check the bolts and bushings on the shackles and hangers. Looks like your axle has been replaced so they may be fine but on my 26 year old trailer the bushings were shot and the bolt was worn 1/3 through.
You can’t change the wind but you can adjust your sails
Geno View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Geno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-23-2007 at 9:10pm
Originally posted by jbear jbear wrote:

Man am I jealous of your shop.

'Course you are doin' a great job on the trailer too. Just keep them pictures coming!

john

Thanks, it's actually my stepdad's shop but it is really nice. No small, fine work type tools but every type of big tool you could imagine.
Geno View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Geno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-23-2007 at 9:12pm
Originally posted by 81nautique 81nautique wrote:

Hey Geno, Trailers looking good. I'm almost done with a similar trailer project. As for the 2x4 bunks, it's the first time I've ever gone to the lumber yard and lseached through the rack looking for the boards with the most hook. Found 2 that will make the job easier.

Only suggetsion I have for you is to check the bolts and bushings on the shackles and hangers. Looks like your axle has been replaced so they may be fine but on my 26 year old trailer the bushings were shot and the bolt was worn 1/3 through.

I will have to check thet - thanks, I wouldnot have thought to look and now is the right time to do so.
Geno View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Geno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-23-2007 at 9:14pm
Originally posted by BuffaloBFN BuffaloBFN wrote:

Geno, what are you going to do with the bobcat?
Greg

Uh.............move dirt, spread gravel and minor grading? Is this a trick question?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123>
  Share Topic