NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Trailer Winch Fixture Add On

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Trailer Winch Fixture Add On
    Posted: July-30-2007 at 6:16pm
Okay guys here I have seen a ? or two about how to add a winch to a trailer that doesn't have one so here goes my set up. A piece of 4x4 square tubing, 2x4 square tubing, 1/4" plate, L-angle, hardware, and of course the winch itself. Had a buddy weld it up and then drilled it up on the trailer. Primed, painted , installed and there you have it, works great.

"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
tullfooter View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tullfooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-30-2007 at 6:49pm
Morfoot
I like that set up. I've been knocking around the idea of installing a winch on my CC trailer. That looks like the ticket.
I've also wanted to install a spare tire carrier. Is yours a CC part or did you make that custom?
Steve
Play hard, life's not a trial run.
'85 BFN
'90 BFN

White Lake, Michigan

Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-30-2007 at 7:01pm
Ooh, Hey you guy's don't pay attention to all that stuff in the background I normally keep a cleaner garage........

Steve, the spare tire carrier is original from CC. Doesn't look like much but I can take a few close ups of the set up and post here if anyone is interested?

I believe they quit making trailers in 89. I'm sure Brian or the Dr. knows for sure.
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-30-2007 at 7:24pm
You can pick up a spare tire carrier at most online trailer stores. I added the one to my trailer last year.

I believe CC made trailers into the mid-90's before they spun the trailer business into a seperate company (Ram-Lin). Our '92 was a CC trailer, as is my friends '94.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-30-2007 at 9:14pm
I too am a firm believer of winches and never did like the power on concept that CC came up with way back in the late 60's. I think we all have been there with a common problem at the ramp. The trailer never seems to be at the proper angle and as most of the ramps are steep, the rear is always a lot lower than the boat.Because of this, it can be difficult to get the boat far enough forward on the trailer. As the trailer and boat are pulled out the boat sits down on the bunks and the bow is now not fully forward against the bow stop. Solutions have been to first move the bow stop forward on the trailer which is a pain or to get up to about 30MPH and slam on the brakes! I finally came up with the fix on my wishbone bunked trailers. The winch needs to be mounted about 6" higher than the bow eye on the boat when it sits on the trailer. This will pull the boat bow up as well as forward. The key to helping the winch is the addition of the keel roller which also lifts the bow up as the boat is pulled forward. The end result is now the boat bottom is almost parallel to the trailer bunks which allows the bow to rest on the bow stop in it's proper position for trailering. Trust me on this one since it took me several designs and about 15 years of screwing around!! When and if you put a winch on the trailer, start with mounting it high.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tullfooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2007 at 10:29am
Pete,
Good call on mounting it high.
The first time I was putting the boat back on the CC trailer, I pulled it all the way forward, hooked up to the turn buckle, and when I pulled the boat completely out, the tension on the turnbuckle, as the rear of the boat lowered on to the bunks, nearly ripped the eye out of the front. And power loading/unloading is frowned upon in these parts.
We fabricate precast concrete boat ramp planks. I was called out to a boat dealer/marina where they had installed our planks approx. 12 years prior and they had a 6' drop off at the end of their ramp. The undercut went 10' forward of the edge of the ramp. It was basically a bridge.
Now Pete, your tag line says "keep it original", does this include trailers?
Regarding the spare tire carrier, I've had problems finding one that will fit the 5" side rails of my 1986 CC trailer. I like the one that mounts to the bow stop. Any ideas?
Steve
'85 BFN
'90 BFN

White Lake, Michigan

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2007 at 11:10am
Steve, I'll probably have to live with the purist comments the rest of my life!! Winches were a option and since CC made it difficult to load one of their trailers without one then I too made a exception!! You said that you almost ripped out the bow eye but I have seen it happen. It was on a very washed out ramp and the trailer wheels were down in the hole.

It's interesting that you are into the precast. I remember the early versions weren't bolted together and pretty soon with all the power loading you would end up with something like they used at the beaches of Normandy! The latest version our DNR put in at the landing I use, all the precast sections are bolted together. So far it is holding up better.

Fulton makes a tire carrier that states it will fit up to 3" x 5". I just found it in the West catalog but I'm sure someone else has it for less.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tullfooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2007 at 11:49am
Pete,
Thanks for the info on the carrier. I will locate one.
I've seen the ramps that you are referring to. We have always used the bolt together method. 3/4" SS bolts. Seem to work well.
Steve
'85 BFN
'90 BFN

White Lake, Michigan

Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2007 at 1:39pm
If you guy's notice the last picture,the winch is even with the bow eye when the rig is totally on the trailer.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2007 at 2:08pm
Originally posted by Morfoot Morfoot wrote:

If you guy's notice the last picture,the winch is even with the bow eye when the rig is totally on the trailer.

You may have missed the point we both made. It should be higher but that is our opinion.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2007 at 2:16pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

You may have missed the point we both made. It should be higher but that is our opinion.

Mine is nearly even with the bow, perhaps slightly low. Maybe mounting it slightly higher is preferred, but mine works great- even on the shallowest ramps.
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2007 at 2:18pm
Didn't mean to offend. I guess the ramps up North are steeper then down here in the south. I have always just backed my trailer in til the water is just over the fender wells and she goes on nice. After we pull out I may have to crank it an inch or two but after it's up against the bunks I'll install the tierod for the ride home. I copied the fixture from a buddys 88' whose winch was installe d like that from the factory.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2007 at 7:26pm

Didn't mean to offend. I guess the ramps up North are steeper then down here in the south.

Absolutely no offence taken. You are lucky that the ramps you use have a shallow angle. The system works with steep ramps or ramps that are really eroded out from power loading. I also have never liked to slide any boat on the bunks forward by the bow eye and a winch. I always worry about the strength of the eye.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2007 at 7:32pm
doesn't look like you used grade 5 or better bolts and nuts? or even stainless steel for that matter, look like metric yellow diechromate bolts to me. do you really want the bolts rusting and then snaping off while your using the winch?
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2007 at 8:04pm
The bolts do not need to be of a high grade,rust more of cometic than strength.
That strap is only good for 2000 lbs. and in a year it will not hold that load.Gonna take more purchase than what he has to pull that off the trailer,I would swap to S/S fastners as Chris suggested.....boat dr
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2007 at 8:20pm
Those are AN cadmium plated bolts used in the aviation industry. WILL NOT rust. Standard 1/4 or maybe 5/16" inch bolts with cad plated washers and selflocking nuts.
Bremsen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bremsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-01-2007 at 12:58am
Thats exactly what I thought when I saw it...copy of the factory installed winch setup. I've only seen it in pictures. Very nicely done Tim.

Any chance you wanna make another one? or a kit? I could buy the pieces off you and have it welded up here. I'm way too lazy to go buy the stock and get it all cut to length/fitted.

Where did you pick up that hardware? Aircraft-Spruce?
behindpropeller View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote behindpropeller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-01-2007 at 8:12pm

Those are AN cadmium plated bolts used in the aviation industry. WILL NOT rust. Standard 1/4 or maybe 5/16" inch bolts with cad plated washers and selflocking nuts.

Oh they will rust! Just put them on a float plane!
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-02-2007 at 7:36am
[QUOTE=Bremsen]

Any chance you wanna make another one? or a kit? I could buy the pieces off you and have it welded up here. I'm way too lazy to go buy the stock and get it all cut to length/fitted.

I'll look into and get back with you. I got all the iron from crap piles here at wrk. I'll check in with the "appropiations committee" and see what I can come up with.
73SN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 73SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-07-2007 at 1:53am
Great info guys, I bought a trailer in July and have had the same problems, straightened one hook and broke another.

BTW Does anyone know what kind of trailer this is:

I just got a regulator and gas bottle for my welder and I'm ready to attack my first project.This one looks doable. roller and all.

Thanks,
Paul
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-07-2007 at 12:41pm
Originally posted by 73SN 73SN wrote:

BTW Does anyone know what kind of trailer this is:

Looks like a Correct Craft trailer built for a 2001, probably between '83 and '87.
73SN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 73SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-07-2007 at 1:02pm
Thanks,
it had an '86 on it. I suppose it was the one that came with it.
behindpropeller View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote behindpropeller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-07-2007 at 4:14pm
I can make the kit up if I can get a min of 7 people that want one.

Tim

Waterdog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Waterdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-08-2007 at 11:44pm
Morfoot
The AN bolts and washers are stronger than grade 8,but in the third picture down from the top the washer is upside down.The washer is chamfered on one side to fit the radious under the head of the bolt.It looks like the washer is digging in to the radious on the bolt because the bolt isn't flush on the washer.   
Maybe it's just the light in the photo.
- waterdog -

78 Ski Tique

Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-09-2007 at 1:05pm
Nope, thats the way the bolt is designed. It sorta has a built in washer on the head of the bolt. Not sure why but I'm sure there is a reason for it. My guess is so the corners of the bolt don't gouge the metal if it were installed without a washer. Have to ask a structual engineer that one.
Waterdog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Waterdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-09-2007 at 2:59pm
Upon closer inspection on the photo, that is a MS grade bolt(the dished head) never installed without a washer.AN bolts are the low end of avation bolts 180,000 KSI,MS(close tolerance) better,triple redundant(flight control)best and a million veriations. There are 2 differnt cad plated washers for this fastining system, 1 without a chamfer designed to fit under the nut and 2 with a chamfer on one side to fit the shoulder under the head of the bolt. The bolt doesn't have a "built in" washer.

- waterdog -

78 Ski Tique

bchesley View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bchesley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-09-2007 at 8:56pm
I did this about 5 years ago. Has worked really well.

2001 SAN
"Python Powered"
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-09-2007 at 11:31pm
Ok "Dog" I concede you win...........

Brad I think you have the better installation. Well at least you don't have to worry about the bolts rusting.
Waterdog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Waterdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-10-2007 at 10:43am
Morfoot
I apologize for busting your chops over nothing. The winch IS a very good idea.Over the winter I'll fab one up.
- waterdog -

78 Ski Tique

bchesley View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bchesley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-11-2007 at 1:16am
Its funny I dont use that trailer but twice a year, however after looking at those pictures it really needs some loving. Maybe this winter it will get powder coated. It was a pretty easy install. I welded a 1/4 plate under the upright post and added the diagonal brace. All tube is 3/16 welded seam. It cost about 15 bucks from my local steel supplier. I got left over cutoffs from bigger jobs they had done.
2001 SAN
"Python Powered"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic