NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Replaced the Pro-Tec system

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
horkn View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horkn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Replaced the Pro-Tec system
    Posted: July-07-2008 at 3:42pm
Originally posted by 81nautique 81nautique wrote:

Originally posted by horkn horkn wrote:

And just my opinion but I think your signature bash on Correct Craft is in poor taste.

If anything you drew attention to it so that I realized I had a fat finger typo. It is fixed now.

I'm not gonna argue with you but when I read your signature I read "No Class". You could change that in a second but that's up to you. Goodbye.

Perception alters reality. My statement is not a bash, and never was intended on being one.

I am sure you understand as well as I do that these boats take a lot of time and $$.

It is too bad you wanted to get off on the wrong foot.

I am sure I will see your boat sometime in WI, as most of the boats in IL end up in WI at some point. So I really don't think a goodbye is necessary.

Also, I like this site a lot since it is pretty much the only site for older nautiques. So I won't be going anywhere.

78 martinique- refloored, reinforced, stringers re glassed, re engineered interior
GT40P heads Edelbrock Performer intake acme 4 blade
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v64/horkn/fish/nautique.jpg
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-02-2008 at 12:05pm
Originally posted by lewy2001 lewy2001 wrote:

Hey 81

Congrats on your boat being selected as the feature boat. Very nice job.

Especially like the silver screen surround is it just polished aluminium or anodised.

Thanks Lewy2001, That was a nice surprise, The windshield frame is polished aluminum.
You can’t change the wind but you can adjust your sails
lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-02-2008 at 11:52am
Hey 81

Congrats on your boat being selected as the feature boat. Very nice job.

Especially like the silver screen surround is it just polished aluminium or anodised.
If you're going through hell, keep going

89 Ski

<a href="http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5685" ta
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-02-2008 at 9:53am

And just my opinion but I think your signature bash on Correct Craft is in poor taste.

If anything you drew attention to it so that I realized I had a fat finger typo. It is fixed now.

I'm not gonna argue with you but when I read your signature I read "No Class". You could change that in a second but that's up to you. Goodbye.
horkn View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horkn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-02-2008 at 4:11am

It STILL is price gouging. I looked last night in Summit's catalog, and the marine 4160 in the same cfm range was 200 dollars more than the automotive one.

Now I wonder why the marinized versions of the edelbrock carbs are not much more than the auto ones. Maybe Edlebrock isn't into gouging as bad? I actually understand Holley carbs though, unlike edelbrock carbs.

Could be because they probably build and sell a ratio of 100:1 auto versus marine carbs. Maybe you're right and they're gouging but the choice is yours to buy either brand so why complain about something you can't change?

And just my opinion but I think your signature bash on Correct Craft is in poor taste. If the newbie with the picture of the hot babe had to change his then yours should surely go too.

I am not really familiar with edelbrocks, so I went and found a local carb guru and I got a marine like new holley for a lot less than either a new edelbrock or holley marine carb.

I love my CC. I spent a ton of hours and $$ making it how I wanted it, but I surely was not happy to find that the battery box drain was glassed nearly completely closed from the factory. Beside that flaw, it has been very good to me outside of normal maintenace on a boat that is 30 years old this year. I am sure you can appreciate that.

78 martinique- refloored, reinforced, stringers re glassed, re engineered interior
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-02-2008 at 3:16am

It STILL is price gouging. I looked last night in Summit's catalog, and the marine 4160 in the same cfm range was 200 dollars more than the automotive one.

Now I wonder why the marinized versions of the edelbrock carbs are not much more than the auto ones. Maybe Edlebrock isn't into gouging as bad? I actually understand Holley carbs though, unlike edelbrock carbs.

Could be because they probably build and sell a ratio of 100:1 auto versus marine carbs. Maybe you're right and they're gouging but the choice is yours to buy either brand so why complain about something you can't change?

And just my opinion but I think your signature bash on Correct Craft is in poor taste. If the newbie with the picture of the hot babe had to change his then yours should surely go too.
eklock View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eklock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-02-2008 at 2:10am

So do you have a flame arrestor on the boat now?

The flame arrestor has never been removed. I've simply concealed it's unsightlyness with a finned aluminum cover. The boat is fully USCG compliant.
horkn View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horkn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-01-2008 at 1:34am
Originally posted by backfoot100 backfoot100 wrote:

For the carburetor, the marine version is really only differentiated by the tubes, which can be bought at DIM for 8 bucks. Why Holley charges over a hundred dollars more for a marinized carb compared to the same street carb, I don't know. Price gouging I guess is the only answer.

WRONG!!!!! The throttle plate shafts are splined and sealed to prevent fuel leakage through them and out of the body of the carb. Auto versions don't have this feature. You really think that changing a vent tube automatically makes a carb a marine version?

Bringin' the RAAAARRRR, huh? Simmer down skippy.

Good thing my throttle plate is from the marine carb then.

In my case, yes, that was enough to make it marinized.

LOL

Thanks for the comparison shot KENO, posting a pic does a lot more than shouting out that someone is wrong. That really does make sense.

KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-30-2008 at 9:07pm
Hi

The marine one is brass and the car one is steel.

The brass one only looks good because of a wire wheel. The car one was cleaned with a wire wheel too, didn't clean up as good though.

Keno
backfoot100 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backfoot100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-30-2008 at 3:51pm
Nice comparison KENO. The marine throttle shaft also looks like it could be made of a different material, however it could just be newer and cleaner. I don't recall if it is a different material or not, but it wouldn't surprise me if it is. The splines are definitely marine specific.
When people run down to the lake to see what's making that noise, you've succeeded.

Eddie
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-30-2008 at 2:49pm
Hi
I'm hoping there is a picture attached here.

It shows a 600 Holley marine carb primary throttle shaft on the right. It has 3 grooves at either end where it rides in the throttle plate, no seals. It acts like a labyrinth seal. The other is a non marine 390 Holley, just a smooth shaft.

It took me way longer to get the picture and get it on here than it did to get the shaft out to show the difference.

Keno

GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-30-2008 at 1:20pm

I don't know.

now you know.
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backfoot100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-30-2008 at 12:15pm

For the carburetor, the marine version is really only differentiated by the tubes, which can be bought at DIM for 8 bucks. Why Holley charges over a hundred dollars more for a marinized carb compared to the same street carb, I don't know. Price gouging I guess is the only answer.

WRONG!!!!! The throttle plate shafts are splined and sealed to prevent fuel leakage through them and out of the body of the carb. Auto versions don't have this feature. You really think that changing a vent tube automatically makes a carb a marine version?
When people run down to the lake to see what's making that noise, you've succeeded.

Eddie
horkn View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horkn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-28-2008 at 12:33pm
So do you have a flame arrestor on the boat now?

I really appreciate the ingenuity you used to swapa rubbish system like the protec into a dependable cost conscious solution.

As far as the USCG ratings, I have run an automotive holley mech fuel pump in my boat, when I suspected my "starvation" at higher rpms was the fuel pump. That didn't fix it, it ended up being non fuel delivery related. Old gaskets did it to me.

I swapped the marine fuel pump back in as soon as I realized that if the holely didnt fix it, it wasn't the fuel pump.

But on most other marine specific items, there are some differences worth noting.
eklock View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eklock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-21-2008 at 4:58am
Originally posted by 79nautique 79nautique wrote:

my question would be how you are planning on addressing the wiring hraness changes? the dist is a no brainer, but needs to be compatable with the ECU's logic.

I'm not quite understanding you. With the ProTec system there is a knock sensor and a rev limiter. I talked to SkiDim about the wiring harness used with the Mallory dist. and it was explained to me that the knock sensor is left in place as a dummy with no wire going to it. I don't have a knock sensor nor a rev limiter, but I plan to add an MSD ignition module that has one in the near future. All other gauges and audible alarms function as normal.

I used the factory wire harness with only a few easy modifications.

I unwrapped the factory harness and removed the wire for the knock sensor. I did this because I wanted a "clean" installation without any unconnected terminals. I removed the knock sensor replacing it with a brass plug.

I took the loom of wires that leads to the ECU and removed them from the harness. The only wire I cut was that for the tach lead. The factory tach lead is molded into the ECU.

Following the wiring diagram for the ProTech system I located the tach lead which is a gray wire if I remember correctly. I cut that wire at the ECU module leaving enough length on the engine side to solder a terminal that would attach to the coil. I installed a keyed-hot lead from the 50A breaker terminal to the coil. I used the same keyed-hot terminal that the ECU/coil pack was powered by; again using the ProTec wiring diagram. The MSD coil is now wired to the same power souce as the ProTec coils.

Once the ProTech system is removed the harness looks very similar to that of earlier CC's. At least by looking at the diagrams available for download.

I mounted the coil on the bracket originally used for the ECU/coil pack with a billet mount from Rex Marine. Mine is polished, if I had it to do over again I'd opt for red anodized.

The whole installation took about two hours one evening after work. I spent more time re-wrapping the harness and tucking it away neatly inside corrugated loom. My soldered terminals are sealed with shrink tubing.

Actually I spent more time diagnosing the ProTec system than I did replacing it.

79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-16-2008 at 3:58pm
my question would be how you are planning on addressing the wiring hraness changes? the dist is a no brainer, but needs to be compatable with the ECU's logic.
tommer12 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommer12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-16-2008 at 3:19pm
Hey eklock, can you post the parts list you used to replace the protech?
I'm looking at replacing the protech as well. It's $400 from skidim (with that nice 10 percent discount from here!) but I wanted to see if it was cheaper to build it myself from the local performance shop that specializes in marine apps, etc.    Wait for it.. wait for it... I hear 79nautique ready to chime in right? (only jokes, you have great input always!)
eklock View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eklock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-16-2008 at 2:51am
You guys will be happy to know that I have since returned my distributor to MSD. They changed the base, added screens, O-rings and a new cap; a full marine conversion. The fee? $79.00 plus shipping.

If I had it to do over again I would buy a 460/429 marine distributor and change the drive gear. Much simpler that way.

I really like the top-notch quality of the MSD Pro-Billet distributor. No regrets.

I'm sorry for all of the perceived arrogance, it was never intented.
nuttyskier2002 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nuttyskier2002 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-14-2007 at 12:28am
Originally posted by GottaSki GottaSki wrote:

Originally posted by eklock eklock wrote:

They assured me that the only difference between the 460 and 351w distributors was the drive gears. I have yet to verify this but they seem to be confident in their statement.

I got confirmation of this from a guru on a pantera forum, they know cleveland/windsor swaps as well as anyone.

Is the 351W drive gear you're refering to for a reverse rotating engine? If not you maight be back to square one.
95 Malibu Echelon w/Mercruiser 350 Magnum Skier

Former boats:
88 Ski Centurion Tru Trac II
59 Chris Craft Capri (woody)
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backfoot100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-13-2007 at 11:31am
Originally posted by GottaSki GottaSki wrote:

They assured me that the only difference between the 460 and 351w distributors was the drive gears. I have yet to verify this but they seem to be confident in their statement.

I got confirmation of this from a guru on a pantera forum, they know cleveland/windsor swaps as well as anyone.

That's interesting. You would think that the amount of Windsor users looking for a marine MSD distributor that MSD would state something like that in their documentation and the website. I would think that they would sell quite a few more distributors. Every Windsor user that I know of looking for that option has been so disappointed that it wasn't available. Good stuff.

Eddie
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-13-2007 at 1:10am

"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-12-2007 at 12:55pm
Originally posted by 79nautique 79nautique wrote:

all you pulled out was an oil pump drive, nothing in it to produce a spark to ignite the gas fumes smarty.

Well that AND it provide crankshaft position and magnetically triggers the ignition. Still no spark in that dude...unless the sensor shorts out and catches fire
The Dude View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-12-2007 at 1:26am
geez
Mullet Free since 93
95 Sport
eklock View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eklock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-11-2007 at 11:05pm
Via email I asked MSD if they had any intentions of ever making a marine dist. for the 351w. Their response was to buy the BBF marine dist. and replace the drive gear (they sell them sperately) with one for a 351w. They assured me that the only difference between the 460 and 351w distributors was the drive gears. I have yet to verify this but they seem to be confident in their statement.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backfoot100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-11-2007 at 11:55am

DNR? Not sure what that is. USCG, I've never been on a Federally patrolled body of water.

Sorry for causing all of the upheaval over this issue.

eklock, what we're trying to convey here is a few different things. The USCG sets regulations and standards on marine vehicles that require specially modified distibutors, alternators, starters, fuel pumps and carburators. The boat left the factory meeting those standards. You could be easily pulled over and stopped for a safety check at any time while operting your boat by the DNR on any body of water that the USCG doesn't patrol. I've personally been stopped numerous times. They normally check for adequate life preservers, fire extinguisher, driver drinking etc. They can also look at the engine and if there is a knowledgable ranger that knows what he's looking at, he can tell if your boat has been modified and that it still meets or doesn't meet USCG safety standards. If it doesn't, you can be required to make any appropriate changes to make it legal on top of a fine.

Now the bigger concern is the safety for you, your passengers and family. These standards aren't put out there so the USCG can be a**holes. They have a purpose. The biggest one of which is fire prevention in a marine vessel. I've said before that a fuel leak from a fuel pump or carb in a car just runs onto the road and evaporates away. A fuel leak in a boat dumps into the bildge and just sits there waiting for a spark from a dist. alternator or starter. If that happens, let me tell you that a 19' SN can go up in flames in seconds. Not a pretty sight. There are numerous guys that have put regular auto parts on boats and haven't had issues and maybe never will. How important is that $100 extra that you saved by not buying a marine dist. when your boat is engulfed in flames? Or worse yet, if somebody gets hurt or dies? Here's another thing. If you have a really good insurance agent who knows his stuff, and upon inspection of a boat disaster notices that aftermarket non-conforming parts were put in the boat, they could easily deny your claim.

Granted, these are worse case scenarios, but entirely possible. Using USCG certified carbs and fuel pumps help prevent the fuel from getting in the bilge first. If it still does happen, USCG approved distributors, alternators and starters prevent the spark to ignite that fuel. Nothing is foolproof, but why add to your chances to save a few hundred bucks?

Eddie
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-11-2007 at 1:36am
just an education for you on what can and will happen if fumes accumulate.

DNR= department of nautral resources, i.e. conservation officer
eklock View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eklock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-11-2007 at 1:31am
DNR? Not sure what that is. USCG, I've never been on a Federally patrolled body of water.

Sorry for causing all of the upheaval over this issue.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-11-2007 at 1:22am
don't try that it will never last and all you will end up doing is trashing the dist because of it. Just raise the motor box before every time you start it and you can get by until the DNR or USCG get you for a non-marine dist.
eklock View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eklock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-11-2007 at 1:05am
Not quite the same, but if one were to pack the cap vent with brass wool it would limit the limit the risk of vapor ignition. The trick is keeping the wool in the vent and not falling down upon the rotor.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-10-2007 at 10:23pm
well on a marine application the flame arresting screens that are in the vent holes are multi-layer so that a flame will go out as it passes through and will not get outside of the air space under the cap. The standard screen is a single layer that a flame can pas through and ignit the rest of the fumes in the motor box. And there is always a almost constant arc occur inside of the cap the pause is so small it might as well be constant.

The issue is on start up and start up only, after it's going then the odds are greatly reduced unless something major occurs under the hood.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic