Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Factory Fuel Spiller?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
79Tique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Factory Fuel Spiller?
    Posted: June-25-2007 at 11:54pm
My 79 Tique has a small chrome thing on the back of the hull that leaks gas down the back of the boat every time the tank is even near full. It stains the hull and smells bad for skiers for the first couple rides every day.

Whats up with this thing and is there a way to make it stop spilling fuel?
Work to live, not live to work.

87BFN owner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-25-2007 at 11:56pm
don't fill it so full, when you hit the gas it changes the angle the boat is sitting and the gas goes out the over flow.
Munday View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Munday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-26-2007 at 12:03am
Check and see if you can loop the vent hose higher.There are anti syphon type fitting available for this very problem.Rather an unsafe situation also.

Munday
79Tique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-26-2007 at 3:45am
Yeh, this thing spills gas everytime I pull a skier up. The problem only goes away after I'm below 3/4 tank. Also if I fill the tank and the boat sits in the sun the gas will start dripping out the back even while just floating, smells bad enough that it disrupts the drinking beer in the sun time. I know it's about expanding pressure as temps rise, and as the boat tips up onto plane, but other boats I've use manage not to spill fuel when they have a full tank. I'm hoping someone knows a good fix.

79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-26-2007 at 4:54am
but a loop in the vent hose or get a anti-shiphon device to install inline with the vent hose.
79Tique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-26-2007 at 5:16am
Thanks, I'll try putting a loop in the hose and see how it goes.

79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-26-2007 at 5:31am
make sure the loop is above the tank and not below the top of the tank
gn6027 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gn6027 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-26-2007 at 10:52am
Gabe,
   Did you get the extended pylon to work on your Tique?

Glen
Behl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Behl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-26-2007 at 11:48am
79Tique

My 1977 Tique will do the same thing. I considered an air/fuel seperator; however, they have to be above the tank, vertical and the lines have to be straight. I do not have enough room.
Steve in Indy

Redone 1977 Ski Tique
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-26-2007 at 11:55am
Check to see if the vent line is looped up so that it goes as far as it can vertically under the rear deck before it goes to the thru hull. My 77 Tique vent hose is even held up under the deck with a wire tie to one of the bolts through the deck. Keeping it a couple inches from full will help the problem too.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-26-2007 at 11:56am
Put one of these check valves on the vent hose.
Tim D
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-26-2007 at 11:59am
Originally posted by Tim D Tim D wrote:

Put one of these check valves on the vent hose.

Tim, read Steves (Behl) earlier post and others. There is not enough vertical room.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Mark Mel View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Mel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-26-2007 at 1:15pm
I usually don't fill mine more than 1/2 a tank, 3/4 at the most. Don't want the extra weight while skiing.
1978 Nautique

FBook - www.facebook.com/charliedontsurfct
79Tique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-26-2007 at 7:35pm
I'll try the loop thing first. I like to be able to fill the tank as it's a long way to gas where we ski and I like to have a full day if we want.

Glen, I did get the pylon to work, after getting the stock ring off everything went on great. I'm almost done with the restoration and I'll post some pics with the pylon soon.

jdreiser View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jdreiser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-26-2007 at 7:56pm
The loop should work. I had the same problem and racked my brain this winter and the best I could to do was the loop and I haven't had any trouble this year at all.
79Tique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-29-2007 at 5:40am
I had to get a longer section of hose but the loop seems to have worked. I had the boat all today with a full tank and no spill at all. It's nice when such a simple cheap fix works.
Thanks everyone for the help!

lumiecraft View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lumiecraft Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-30-2007 at 4:01pm
I read all the above posts about this problem and resolved it for my 64. I took the overflow line from the tank and installed a long flexable fuel line to the end which I looped and put at the top of the tank then opened that hole a touch under the SS plate and ran the flex line out the back and pointing down. Hidden just under the SS plate is the flex line and it looks fine. When we took it out for a shake down I did fill my tank and I got no overflow during acceleration or heavy turns. Everything is secure and won't leak. Now it's time to re-adjust the rudder and button up everything. I will reinstall the seat back with quick removal screws to quickly gain access to the rudder if needed.
If you don't get it, be patient, you will.
79Tique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-01-2007 at 5:25pm
Just adding the loop to the line seems to have completley fixed the problem. I've filled the tank a couple of times now, and have no spillage under any condition. Well, time to head to the lake!

lumiecraft View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lumiecraft Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-01-2007 at 6:34pm
I just used the flexable fuel line to make it real easy to loop the line and have it above the tank so it won't leak out. I did not want to risk crimping the hard line while making a loop. Mine worked well and it sounds like your's did too. Great to hear.

If you don't get it, be patient, you will.
79Tique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-02-2007 at 3:35pm
I did get a longer more flexable section of line before adding the loop as well.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic