NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Trailer Tires

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
Mark Mel View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Mel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Trailer Tires
    Posted: March-09-2007 at 12:18pm
I am going to tow my boat further than the 2 miles to the ramp that I normally tow. I need new tires since they look like they originals that came on the '78 CC trailer.

I also need to do the bearings and or hubs since I don't want a bearing failure while towing to ME.

So, what should I look for in a tire? I'm going to use the rims that are on there now. I see that there are bias ply and radial? What load rating should I look for?

Should I just get new hubs since I'm not sure how old these are? What kind of hub should I look for?

Thanks.
1978 Nautique

FBook - www.facebook.com/charliedontsurfct
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-09-2007 at 12:39pm
Mark, Ive read very good things about Goodyear Marathon tires- you can get them at tirerack. Just make sure you get the proper load rating.
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-09-2007 at 12:40pm
Goodyear marathon trailer tires is the only way to go for tires. Hubs you really don't need to replace them just the bearings, races and seals. But sometimes it is cheaper and quicker if you buy new hubs, you will just need to match up the spindel sizes for the bearings and the lug pattern for the rims. If it is an orginal trailer I'm sure someone will know exactly what you need if you can tell them what trailer model it is.
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-09-2007 at 12:48pm
I like adding bearing buddies if you can, thats me though, I like them because as your walking by if the spring is all the way in you know they need grease and with the little spring pressure that is on the grease it has a tendency to keep the water out
"the things you own will start to own you"
jon4pres View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jon4pres Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-09-2007 at 1:07pm
Definitely go with bearing buddies. I burnt up a bearing on each side before I discovered the bearing buddies.
When you go to buy the new bearings, races, and seals go ahead and get a complete hub with everything you need as well and when you are going to travel throw it in the back of the truck just in case. I do this now and it could have saved a day and a half of my vacation last year if I didn't have to tow the boat and then spend half a day looking for the parts I needed.
82 2001

jon4pres@gmail.com
Fort Scott Kansas
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-09-2007 at 1:22pm
Speaking of trailering, I have another comment. In another thread, we discussed forgetting to put in the drain plug when launching. When it comes to trailering, don't forget to REMOVE it if you trailer without a cover. I know 2 people who forgot this, drove in a rain storm, filled the boat with water and blew tires or bearings from the extra weight!! I do not trailer with the boat covered because especially with my wood boats the cover flapping around can do some scratching of the deck. I've never seen even the best custom covers not flap to some extent.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-09-2007 at 1:26pm
The hub Idea is good pre-coutionary measure but if you inspect and re-pact the bearings regularly then you really don't need too. But just because there are bearing buddies on it doesn't mean the bearings are going to last longer and if water did get in which it will that will eat up the races faster than anything else.

All this is great info I personally use the bearing buddies but don't do the hub deal but it's still a good idea especially if you do have trouble on the road.
Mark Mel View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Mel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-09-2007 at 1:44pm
Thanks,

Which load rating should I look for?

Mark
1978 Nautique

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-09-2007 at 1:51pm
Just get the same size or maybe one size larger on the tread width and you'll be ok.

You don't need to worry about the load rating as long as you get the tires suggested and the key word is TRAILER tire not passenger car tire, TRAILER, ,if you don't get trailer tires then the load rating needs looked at but basicly your load is around 3000 lbs and then that would be split by the number of trees on the trailer same thing with springs.
Mark Mel View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Mel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-09-2007 at 2:05pm
Thanks 79, in looking at the goodyear marathon tires it looks like the rating is dependant on the size.

So I'll just get the size I need and it should be load rated correctly.

Doh, I just noticed I got switched to a senior member.
1978 Nautique

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-09-2007 at 2:11pm
the larger the tire the heavier the load it can handle, I believe mine are 195 or 205/75R14's but i don't have an orginal trailer either.
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-09-2007 at 2:24pm
bunch of good info on tires in this thread from a while back

tires
2_Nautiques View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2_Nautiques Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-09-2007 at 3:03pm
On my 88 trailer it has a grease zirk in the end of the axle with a pilot hole drilled to the inner bearing so as you pump grease in it flushes the old out from the inner race. When did CC start using this style and do they still? Seems like it works very well.

Also, I would like to upgrade the wheels on the cuddy trailer. Can you make out on price by buying online and paying the extra shipping, or is better to buy local?
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-09-2007 at 3:12pm
Buy local if you can, you never know when you might need that shop in an emergency...
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-09-2007 at 3:43pm
Mark, go with at least a LOAD RANGE C,or better yet LOAD RANGE D. The C's should do what you want,
contrary to what 79 says here:

the larger the tire the heavier the load it can handle, I believe mine are 195 or 205/75R14's but i don't have an orginal trailer either.

The load range is stamped on the tire C&D are trailer rated,buy trailer tires to go on a trailer............Marathon is top of the line.......boat dr
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-09-2007 at 3:59pm
There's nothing worse than seeing a family or a big group of guys ready to take in some bass fishin on the side of the freeway with the trailer tire off and the hub smokin
"the things you own will start to own you"
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-09-2007 at 4:06pm
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-09-2007 at 4:42pm
Another good thing to do regarding tires is if you can have then inflated with nitrogen then you won't have to worry about adding air to them unless you have a leak or someone has let the air out of them.

Nitrogen is not effected by temperture changes like compressed air is. You can still add air to a nitrogen filled tire if needed while on the road and your don't have access to nitrogen. A lot of the tire dealers have the nitrogen systems.
rleinen79 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rleinen79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-09-2007 at 5:33pm
Originally posted by 79nautique 79nautique wrote:

Another good thing to do regarding tires is if you can have then inflated with nitrogen then you won't have to worry about adding air to them unless you have a leak or someone has let the air out of them.

Nitrogen is not effected by temperture changes like compressed air is. You can still add air to a nitrogen filled tire if needed while on the road and your don't have access to nitrogen. A lot of the tire dealers have the nitrogen systems.

I've never heard of that. I guess it makes sense though. BTW, my old Shoreland'r had load range D, but I can't remember the size. I thinks the new tandem has Ds as well.

Rob
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-09-2007 at 5:49pm
I believe that if Nitrogen has been used, the installer will typically put green caps on the valve stems. BKH
Livin' the Dream

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-09-2007 at 7:36pm
Remember that air is already 80% nitrogen. I dont doubt that tires are less suceptible to fluctuations in temperature with 100% pure N2- but I wouldnt pay much of a premium for it.
87BFN owner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-09-2007 at 7:46pm
Nitrogen, not worth the extra money. The minute you put compressed air in the tire that was nitronized you have changed the make up of air. Your still going to have to check the air and reinflate over time. Save the ten bucks or twenty.

The story behind nitrogen is a good song and dance, but I chalk it up there with syn. oil. Up the each individual, my two cents is don't bother.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-09-2007 at 8:09pm
Originally posted by bkhallpass bkhallpass wrote:

I believe that if Nitrogen has been used, the installer will typically put green caps on the valve stems. BKH

I thought it was blue they used. From what I have seen there isn't a charge and like I said you don't need to add air to them.
gn6027 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gn6027 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-09-2007 at 8:10pm
Hey 79, watch the language. My son doesn't need to see that sort of stuff on this site. There's enough of that out there on the web already.

The Dr is offering the same info that you (a FREE opinion to help a fellow CC owner), so check your ego at the door.

I'm not trying to (and I don't want to) get into the middle of whatever the two of you have going, but come on, give us a break!!
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-09-2007 at 10:35pm
2 Nautiques, the axle that you have is a very good system, tho pricey. They are called Accu-Lube or they were the first to offer this set up.
Allows you to service the hubs and not get dirty.This is the system I have on all my trailers..........boat dr
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-09-2007 at 10:51pm
Originally posted by gn6027 gn6027 wrote:

The Dr is offering the same info that you (a FREE opinion to help a fellow CC owner), so check your ego at the door.

guess I must be reading different post than you have there buddy how is making personel comment about one's physical appearance offer any kind of help? Not seeing something are you? selective reading maybe on your part?

Don't see the connection there sure seems like a personel attack to me so I respond accordingly
87BFN owner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-10-2007 at 5:04am
79 Pretty sure Bell Tire charges like four bucks a tire to nitronize them. Discount Tire has not gone to this method.

Some of the places down by you may offer it for free, but in Michigan you pay for it as of right now.

gn6027 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gn6027 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-10-2007 at 6:08am
Looking back at Dr's response on page 1 of this post, all he says is

"contrary to what 79 says here:"

and you go off on him. Is this a personal comment about one's appearance??? Not in my book, it is a simple disagreement with an opinion.

79, I'm not trying to start anything with you, I wanted my opinion known as I bet others have the same. You offer a great deal of help to fellow CC owners, and that is what participating on the site is all about.

I see someone took care of the offensive language from page 1. Thank you!

If I offended you, please accept my appology as that was not my intent.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-10-2007 at 6:42am
gn6027 you should expand your horizon and not limit yourself to one topic or one responce and should look at it as a whole in all topics and all postings.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-10-2007 at 6:44am
Originally posted by gn6027 gn6027 wrote:

I see someone took care of the offensive language from page 1. Thank you!

that would be me, Keith would have only edit test not removed any.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic