Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

How fast is fast?

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123>
Author
79Tique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-10-2007 at 11:57pm
My 79 Tique (302 Commander) hits 43-44 with a few minor mods. I'm 30 with two kids we ski 80% float some, and cruise a little. Being in the water is where it's at for us. I got a new Acme 542 for x-mas I hoping for more hole shot.
Work to live, not live to work.

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-11-2007 at 6:02am
Reid, I found you in the ACBS directory. You certainly have a great collection of cla$$ic Correct Crafts. Try to keep pushing your chapter for a cla$$ic fibergla$$ showing. I belong to both the Blackhawk and Glacier Lakes chapters and both don't have a problem with early cla$$ic fibergla$$. We would rather see them than the wood reproductions in our shows. I love the 73 you have in the diaries. Are all your other CC'c in as good and original condition?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-11-2007 at 7:38am
BKH your right about the chop, we always hoped for 2 to 3's in which the boats performed the best. you can even feel this(drag) while waterskiing on a dead calm day, and if you have a little chop you feel alot faster
"the things you own will start to own you"
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-11-2007 at 8:35am
Originally posted by bkhallpa$$ bkhallpa$$ wrote:

Yes, but friction also has to do with the the amount of running surface touching the water.

Boats also get more speed when there is a slight ripple or chop in the water than they do on gla$$y water.

BKH

Brian, I think it was Fountain that introduced the step hull to offshore racing and they dominated for a while. They had several steps in their larger boats and it really got the boat free from the surface(tension, drag, friction) not sure what the right word is there but it worked and you'll see those steps on a lot of pleasure boats now.
You can’t change the wind but you can adjust your sails
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-11-2007 at 8:40am
Eric,i think the word is "Wetted Surface" and Hrydrodynamic Drag, both eat hp at an alarming rate,that is proportional to weight.
After years of racing Hobie Cats,very simple motor,you find that weight and hull drag are our two biggest demons.We are restricted to stock sails and rudders, so all your extra speed has to come from the loss of said "drag"
Nothing slides over water any better than water,Hence one of the bottom paints was Outlawed on our Hobies. The product is called Miracle Micro-Baloons, gives the bottom a look simular to an orange. The golf ball princapal only in smaller scale,but gives the same effect to drastictly reduce drag........boat dr   
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-11-2007 at 8:52am
Originally posted by boat dr boat dr wrote:

Eric,i think the word is "Wetted Surface" and Hrydrodynamic Drag, both eat hp at an alarming rate,that is proportional to weight.
After years of racing Hobie Cats,very simple motor,you find that weight and hull drag are our two biggest demons.We are restricted to stock sails and rudders, so all your extra speed has to come from the loss of said "drag"
Nothing slides over water any better than water,Hence one of the bottom paints was Outlawed on our Hobies. The product is called Miracle Micro-Baloons, gives the bottom a look simular to an orange. The golf ball princapal only in smaller scale,but gives the same effect to drastictly reduce drag........boat dr   

So that be why some people say a waxed bottom creates more drag than an unwaxed bottom?
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-11-2007 at 9:39am
I thought donzi was one of the firsts to introduce the stepped hull, I can remember them as far back as 1987, the less boat in the water the faster you go as with the hydro's they have air foils on them that the drive controls, because they glide above the surface, with just prop contact to the water. The orange peel does make good sense and as with air im sure it works with water.
   This is purely recolection so dont take it seriously if you think its wrong
"the things you own will start to own you"
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-11-2007 at 10:56am
See this article - the Historians say that stepped hulls go back as far as 1910.

History of Stepped Hulls

BKH
Livin' the Dream

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-11-2007 at 12:13pm
When Dunphy started producing the X55 they got a U.S. patent on it that was called the "balan-stern" stepped hull. There are some drawbacks to the steps. They aren't as manuverable as a flat bottom I think due to the steps dragging in the water on turns. Also all the X55's will ocasionaly at about 7/8 WOT flatten out in a turn to port and go straight!! It can be scarry if you don't know the boat. The theory is that the prop rotation at a certain RPM and the starboard step produces a air pocket so basicly the rudder cavitates. When our ski club had the X55 we had to change the show coarse from counter clockwise to clockwise!! I have installed a slightly larger rudder on mine to eliminate this and I beleave the last production run of the X's had the larger rudders. It's still damn fast!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
reidp View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reidp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-11-2007 at 12:13pm
What Doc said. Additional issues working against our inboard-powerd systems and the quest for speed, are the downward, fixed angle of the shaft, and the inability to trim the drive system up. This downward shaft angle in theory pushes the bow down (a former thread) and increases the drag. Anyone who's operated or experimented with a trim-capable I/O or outboard at full speed witnessed the significant difference in speed between full down and full up trim settings. It can be 7-10mph on a light hull. Trim tabs on a small inboard however typically serve to further bring the bow down and combat porpoising as opposed to lifting it at higher speeds.

I'd always heard a rule-of-thumb formula for trimmable(sp) small outboard and I/O boats of +/-5hp req'd for every 1 mph increase. I've always found this to be somewhat in the ball park. However, this does't apply to our inboards from my experience. I'm thinking somewhere in the 8-10hp/mph, and that's on an older, smallest hull. And unfortunately, I'm confident that the formula or ratio increases, i.e., more hp needed per mph, with the newer boats, and definitely as a function of weigh as stated by Doc. Case in point, my business partner has a cute little '92 Donzi Sweet 16 with what OMC calls a 5.0 HO with only about 220 hp I believe (they don't tell you in the manual). It's carbureted and a 2BBL to boot. Anyway, it weighs 1900lbs and while it's a slug outta the hole, it will still run GPS 47-50 with the drive tucked in, and 57mph trimmed up and trailing a nice rooster tail. These picts were on the StJohns in FL trailing a CC Mustang.

Pete, our Blue Ridge ACBS chapter completely embraces the cla$$ic gla$$ boats. In fact they hosted the whole Jersey Speed Skiff gang last year which was a hoot. Also there are awards given for non wooden boats. Regarding your question about our CCs, 6 are complete and good running boats, the others are all projects in various stages of completion. Also, I've had several Mustangs that exibited the same "continue straight when turned" scenario you mentioned and ours were normally when decelerating. Scary though.    
ReidP
1973 Mustang

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-11-2007 at 1:45pm
Reid, The X's would flatten out and go straight after you were into the turn and that's when you usually really needed to turn!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Waterdog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Waterdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-11-2007 at 2:13pm
My 78 1600 # ski-tique had a 305 / 198 hp mercruser. Now installing a .030 / 350 Rt rotation engine 9.2-1C/R , 2.02 / 1.60 valves ,410 / 410 cam,4 bolt, DUI ignition,1.6-1 roller rockers, bla ,bla ,bla ect… I talked to Bill Weeks @ acme about a prop. He told me to run the stock prop before buying a new one , he seemed to think 5500 rpm or so the stock prop might be best. The boat should do low 50s. I’ll be happy with low 50s & I’ll buy the prop after the engine is broke in.
- waterdog -

78 Ski Tique

79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-11-2007 at 2:49pm
he told me to use the 540 on mine which was way under proped went with a 470 after finding what the max rpm was first so that I knew exactly how many rpm's to drop down to. With the modes you descriped your going to need a much larger pitch than you currently have.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-11-2007 at 5:18pm
Originally posted by Waterdog Waterdog wrote:

My 78 1600 # ski-tique had a 305 / 198 hp mercruser. Now installing a .030 / 350 Rt rotation engine 9.2-1C/R , 2.02 / 1.60 valves ,410 / 410 cam,4 bolt, DUI ignition,1.6-1 roller rockers, bla ,bla ,bla ect… I talked to Bill Weeks @ acme about a prop. He told me to run the stock prop before buying a new one , he seemed to think 5500 rpm or so the stock prop might be best. The boat should do low 50s. I’ll be happy with low 50s & I’ll buy the prop after the engine is broke in.

Waterdog,

I talked to Bill last week about repropping my boat after some mods I'm making. I'm currently turning 4800 rpm w/ a 540 before the mods and he thought that even .060 cup might not be enough to get the RPMs down after adding some HP. He said to wait til spring as they are currently working on a new 13x14 prop. That may be too much for my boat but sounds like it could be something you should look into. I think it's odd they don't offer a 13x13 yet but maybe thats on the drawing board as well.
reidp View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reidp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-11-2007 at 7:57pm
Guys, I certainly can't claim this as the gospel, but when making mods to an engine that don't involve increased cubic inches, the original sized prop often provides the best performance. An increase in HP doesn't dictate a prop size increase as much as cubic inches and increased low rpm torque do. When you make modifications that result in the capacity to turn higher rpms, you typically also raise the power band and rpm required to demonstrate this new found HP in terms of response and mph. Our main work horse is our 69 Mustang with a multi-staged modified 302/308(.040" over). The original 210HP 302 would spin the original 12x14 prop about 4400 rpm. Step by step we continued to add power until it would eventually turn that same prop 5200. Experimenting with a 1/2 doz props I went up to a 12x15 which dropped the rpm the anticipated 2-300rpm but it also dropped the speed about 1 mph and the holeshot and throttle response were off just a tad. Just for kicks I tried a 12x13 Fed to see if the cam and head combo wanted more rpm, which indeed pushed the rpm to about 5500 and would snap your neck, but it slowed the boat a good 3 mph, basically saying that it pushed it out of its HP making range. So I went back to the 12x14 Fed or more satisfactorily the 12x13 OJ which turns the same RPM. (Note: an OJ prop because of the positive, aft-leaning rake, resulting in more blade area for a given diameter, does not interchange directly with a Fed prop pitch-wise)

I was pleasantly surprised to here what Mr Weeks told Waterdog. While a 540 on many boats really picks up perf, it definitely slowed my light 16 boat turning in the 5000+ range. Waterdog, you most likely have a 12x14 and for a 350 ci it may be a little short on pitch. I will be glad to lend you a 12x15 or 12x16 when you get to the test point. With the mods mentioned, 5500 seems a little high to me also, but it might do it with a 12x14, albeit not with the best perf. If you haven't installed the cam yet and not knowing what your perf goals are, a .410" lift cam is very stock, but not knowing the duration it's hard to say. The good cams being run in most of the Fords on our site here are in the .450-.500" range in terms of lift and 206-225+/- degrees of duration. These by the way are in the neighborhood of and slightly better/higher than what was used in a stock 5.0 HO Mustang car, which wasn't a slouch but didn't behave eractically or have any idle issues. FWIW.
ReidP
1973 Mustang

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-12-2007 at 7:18am
Reid,

Good info as usual. End result on my prop situation is we decided to put it back on and see what the mods do before we make any changes. Then we'll call Bill and see what he suggests, probably just a cup job and we're good to go.
Waterdog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Waterdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-12-2007 at 8:19am
Reid -
Thanks for the offer on the prop,I'll take you up on it. I need to get the foam & floor complete. I'm off on monday & plan an all day thrash on it. The engine is a 355 cu.in. chevy .410 cam is 202/213 @ .050 lift - But with 1.5 rockers, I've got 1.6 full rollers with 100 lbs. springs in it . We did the math a couple months ago so my memory is a little fuzzy , I think it ends up .437 valve lift ish ? Performance Marine built it expecting 300 h.p.@ 4800-5200 rpm. 198 hp stock 300 hp now - it should get out of it's own way. Can't wait to get wet in Lake Gaston !    
- waterdog -

78 Ski Tique

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-12-2007 at 8:53am

The engine is a 355 cu.in. chevy .410 cam is 202/213 @ .050 lift - But with 1.5 rockers, I've got 1.6 full rollers with 100 lbs. springs in it . We did the math a couple months ago so my memory is a little fuzzy , I think it ends up .437 valve lift ish ? Performance Marine built it expecting 300 h.p.@ 4800-5200 rpm.     

Your memory is correct. .410 lift with a 1.5 rocker will give you .437 lift with a 1.6. That still sounds like a pretty tame cam for 355 ci. My cam isnt anything wild (.490/.490, 218/222 @ .050), but has a powerband of 2500-5200 on my 351w with 1.6 rockers. Maybe the Chevies are totally different, but I dont see how that cam will make power up to 5200 RPM.

Does anyone (ReidP?) know the specs on the stock Ford marine cams? I want to say the 351w was in the neighborhood of .440 lift (stock 1.6), but I havent actually measured my original.
Waterdog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Waterdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-12-2007 at 10:38am
TRBenj
I'm not an expert on Ford vs Chevy Chevys do like to spin a few hundred rpm,s faster & fords like to pull like a tractor with low end torque. Does the Ford timing chain vs Chevy gear drive have an effect on it ? Do you think 300 hp is in the ballpark. The engine parts are "geared" more for endurance than drag racing.     
- waterdog -

78 Ski Tique

reidp View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reidp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-12-2007 at 10:56am
When looking back like thru Chilton's Auto Repair Manuals over the years, and then again this AM thru a 1964-1971 vintage manual I noticed that GM's valve lift specs were generally less than those shown for Fords on similar HP engines. Coincidentally they show a split lift of .390/410 for a 1969-70 350 rated at 300 HP@5000 rpm. The 69 290HP-351 Ford shows a .418/448 lift which is coincidentally the same spec shown in my Holman-Moody manual for that engine as well as the 351-headed 302s. So that cam 'Dog has might get him there afterall, and I'd be confident in the 300HP mark, esp with a nice intake as well. If you'd like one of these neat old full-of-vintage-facts Chiltons manuals, go on ebay and check there. I got two of them for next to nothing$$. I certainly don't memorize all this crap,....er,..I mean, neat stuff.   
ReidP
1973 Mustang

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-12-2007 at 10:59am

Does the Ford timing chain vs Chevy gear drive have an effect on it ? Do you think 300 hp is in the ballpark.

I couldnt tell you- my limited knowledge really only applies to the Fords. I would think those mods on a 350 would get you to 300hp though. With intake/heads/cam/DUI on my 351w, I figure I gained ~80, which would put me at 320hp.
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-12-2007 at 11:09am
Knowledge Is Power............
    boat dr
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-12-2007 at 11:13am
Originally posted by boat dr boat dr wrote:

Knowledge Is Power...........

Speaking of.... ever find out what Fromunda Cheese is???
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-12-2007 at 11:30am
I had 2 boats that I tried to make go fast years ago, and it seemed once you reach a certain amount of HP for a certain hull, what you really need then is more rpms to get more speed.
Waterdog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Waterdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-12-2007 at 11:51am
reidp
   Intake = Edelbrock Performer (port matched)
   Holly 600, 198hp vs 300hp 1600# + 50% power gain = Whooo Who !!!
- waterdog -

78 Ski Tique

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-12-2007 at 12:05pm

reidp
   Intake = Edelbrock Performer (port matched)
   Holly 600, 198hp vs 300hp 1600# + 50% power gain = Whooo Who !!!

I imagine youll gain a few lbs going from the 305 to 350, but that little boat will be one fun ride!
reidp View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reidp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-12-2007 at 12:17pm
Fromunda Cheese?? Hmmm?   Bet it goes good served up with a Cleveland Steamer.

I'll use that as a segue(I like that word)to: Has anyone ever seen one of the Cleveland head 351's that Commander marketed back in the mid-late 80's. They called it a Clevor as it used the Cleveland style heads on a Windsor block. I only saw ads on it. They said it made 520 HP and would push a CC 82 mph. Just kidding, believe the HP was only 260. I've never been aware of any other 351-C marine engine applications/conversions from an OEM.   
ReidP
1973 Mustang

The Lake View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Lake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-12-2007 at 12:26pm
Reid,

What rpm's do you run with your 318's, what prop? Don't you have a 318 in a Nautique?

If you want, go ahead and talk about valve lift and stuff like that and I'll act like I know what you are talking about

Chuck
Walk on Water
www.coldwater.me

69 Ski Nautique
reidp View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reidp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-12-2007 at 2:07pm
Actually a 305 and 350 GM should weigh almost exactly the same. Unlike the 302-351 Ford comp, the GMs are almost completely interchangable with all external dim's being the same. This goes from a 265ci all the way to a 400 small block, right Bowtie boys? If a Tique with 190-230 HP runs 45-50, then 300HP ought to put you mid 50's. I guess I need to go back to my parts bin as I'm feeling an inadequacy attack coming on.

Chuck, As of now we no longer have a Nautique running with a 318, but the two we did both turned a 13x13 prop at 42-4400 rpm, and ran 45 and 47 mph by the speedos. I made up all that cam stuff and no one's even called me on it yet.   
ReidP
1973 Mustang

backfoot100 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backfoot100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-12-2007 at 2:41pm
ReidP, you're correct about the block size for the small block bowtie although I think the 400 actually has siamezed (sp) cylinders but the block dimesions are the same.

Waterdog, I believe that you are really close for the cam lift that you're thinking for that motor. A .410 lift (or something really close to that) I keep thinking is what a lot of marine cams are from the factory. I have a really good bowtie marine book at home that I'll have to look at this weekend if I get a chance again. It has a lot of good specifics on the parts specs that were used to build different HP engines.

I keep thinking that I had a cam picked out that was in the .425 lift range that I want to use when the time comes to rebuild my engine. I want to get a lot closer to 375HP though. I'll let you know what I find out.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123>
  Share Topic