NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Starting 87 SN Floor/Stinger Repair

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 34567 11>
Author
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-01-2007 at 4:24pm
I cannot believe this is the first day I have seen this post. I read all through SkiBums' posts and must say I am very impressed with the hard work and dedication (I know what have gone through). The end result looks fantastic and I know will last basically forever. From my experiences, I would like to make a few comments (though they really do not matter to this project, but be of use to others). In no particular order.

1. Polyester or vinylester resin should not be used after epoxy is used. Start with poly or vinyl and stick with it. Once epoxy is used, stick with it (no pun intended). Epoxy is a far superior "glue" and basically that is what is happening on repairs...a mechanical bond rather than a chemical bond.

2. When using epoxy, you have about 24 hours to maintain a chemical bond. After that, each next layer is a mechancial bond and the amine blush MUST be removed as it will inhibit epoxy from bonding to epoxy.

3. Keep epoxy off your skin as it can cause contact allergies after prolonged exposure.

4. Creating a gla$$ surface in the bilge or on the floor is really not necessary as the epoxy gla$$ composite will NOT be effected by standing water in anyway and is just plain too much work as SkiBum can attest to for sure. Carpet on the floor will hide most small low spots.

5. When using styrene to thin polyester resin, it then requires more hardener or MEKP for a proper cure. This applies to gel coat as well as it is polyester resin.

6. Unsupported 1/2" plywood is not strong enough to support people. I do not think one layer of fibergla$$ cloth will help much hear. There is a reason CC used 3/4" for that rear removable section.

The techniques SkiBum used where spot on in relation ot laying up the composite. Good job.
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-01-2007 at 4:43pm
David,

Does this mean that gelcoat (a polyester) will not stick to the epoxy?

If you don't get back to the project for 24 hours, what do you use to remove the amine blush?

I've been reading the book on fibergla$$ repair, but until you've done it, you just don't remember everything.

BKH
Livin' the Dream

David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-01-2007 at 4:52pm
Well, yes and no. Gelcoat is cosmetic and thus a strong mechanical bond is not as critical. But, yes the bond between gelcoat and epoxy resin is not all that great IMHO. To date, I have not had any issue in this regard.

To remove the Amine Blush I first wipe the cured epoxy well with Acetone...several times. I then grind or sand out with 36 grit paper. It is important to wipe with Acetone first, otherwise you simply sand the Amine Blush into the epoxy. Acetone is all that is really needed to remove the Amine Blush. If the epoxy is not fully cured (i.e several days, then it WILL interfer with the curing of gelcoat...again from my observations.

I had good result in using Bondo for the final fairing of my repairs. The Bondo had zero curing issues and since Bondo is Polyester resin putty, the gelcoat had zero curing issues. But, since the Bondo was just in "spots", that is really a moot point.

Sometimes, when spraying gelcoat in small areas, it simply would not cure. The gods conspired against me. No worries, just wiped off with Acetone and tried again. I never really could tell what the main cause was, but suspect humidity.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-01-2007 at 5:18pm
Thanks,

Don't get much humidity here in CA. I was considering having one of the local guys shoot the gel. But, since I bought a project to learn how to do these things, I'm now giving consideration to taking a stab at the gel as well. We'll see how it goes when I finish the stringers. Hopefully it turns out as well ask Ski Bum's project. BKH
Livin' the Dream

Waterdog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Waterdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-01-2007 at 6:21pm
There are a lot of factors in amine blush. Sometimes it's there and you can't see or feel it but like David F said it must be removed. We use heat lamps to warm the epoxy to about 100* f to minimize it. Most of our repair recipes for room temp epoxy cures call for 1 hour @ room temp then 1.5 hours @ 150*f to avoid amine blush. Bagging the area with a small tarp and a heat lamp works well.Don't use a petroleum fired heater the so2 in the exhaust is a factor in amine blush. If you use an epoxy system and plan on gel coat top coat acetone/sand/acetone/sand/acetone & it should stick OK.
If you use polyester or vinylester resin in the bilge the styrene that out gases is heavier that air and sort of sits on top of the resin inhibiting the cure so use a fan just strong enough to move the air.
Skibum - oo rah !!!
- waterdog -

78 Ski Tique

81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-01-2007 at 8:18pm
Brian,

learn something new everyday, i thought Amine Blush was a new wine from your neck of the woods.

Your right though, do the work yourself.I'm self taught with everything I do on my boat. Sometimes I do things twice but when I get a compliment it feels twice as good.
SkiBum View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkiBum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-01-2007 at 9:33pm

Spent several hours grinding, scraping, and sanding the bilge to remove the remaining vinyl ester resin. Thought I would never get the bilge back in shape. Once I vacuumed all the gunk and dust out of the bilge used acetone all over the bilge. Mixed up epoxy resin, white pigment, aerosol cabosil, and 3M Gla$$ bubbles. Put the first layer in the bilge. Once cured it will get sanded and another layer. Even though I do not need a gla$$ like finish in the bilge, I am going to try to make it turn out that way. Just stubborn like that. The 1/2" plywood removable floor now has four layers of gla$$ with epoxy resin. Both the top and bottom have epoxy mat covered with 10oz gla$$. The bottom has white pigment in the epoxy because I am going to try to make it smooth and shiny too. I will go back to the front floor area and install a brace that connects to the stringers. I still have to tie in the inside of the floor and stringer under that area. On the bottom of the removable floor in the rear I'll add a brace as well. There is still a brace that goes between the main stringers in the back - still need to put it in.
Bill
http://www.freewebs.com/billsboatworks
www.freewebs.com/billsboatworks 1987 SN Rebuild Project
SkiBum View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkiBum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-01-2007 at 9:40pm
Originally posted by Waterdog Waterdog wrote:

Do you remember the weight of the 2 by 8 fir main stringers (1 ea. ) Thanks

I never actually weighed the 2"x8". I can tell you that even with gla$$ on the sides the old stringer was still 3 times the weight of the new ones. I started with a 16ft long 2"x8". By the time it was all carved out it is probably the same weight as an 8ft board (just a wild guess).
Bill
SkiBum View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkiBum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-01-2007 at 9:42pm
DISCLAIMER:

Probably should have put this out sooner. But I never was good at order.

I learned what I know from this site. Thought it might be of some use for other people to actually see what the inside of a boat looks like. Probably doing a lot of things wrong. That's what I do. Know more now than I did when I started. Learned the hard way. Now, you don't have to.
Bill
farmer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-01-2007 at 9:58pm
According to the user manual from West Systems,amine blush is water soluable and should be removed with clean water and an abrasive pad (scotch-brite)then dried with paper towels. Or you can wet-sand and then dry with paper towels.The important thing is to wipe up the dissolved amine blush before it can dry on the surface again. Farmer
leo0648 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leo0648 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-02-2007 at 12:12am
oo-rah is the marines waterdog, or are you a marine?

I believe you meant to say hoo ah.

Would anyone recomend using polyester fibergla$$ resin instead of epoxy for this job to stop the risk of the amine blush not causing a good bond?

I know epoxy is stronger, but the whole amine blush thing sounds like it adds a whole new factor to the process.

Any down sides to polyester resing besides strength?
Waterdog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Waterdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-02-2007 at 8:21am
leo0648
27 years combined service, I am a civilian that works in the composite materials lab at Cherry Point Marine Corps Air Station NC.
   Polyester is fine, easier to work with,the cure can be ajusted with the amount of hardener.Pick a resin system and stick with it.
Somewhere back in this post is my work # it won't hurt to re read if you want to give me a call.6:30-1500 eastern time.
Skibum
I know you cut your own trail on the 87.Your perseverance is without question. Most of the time I imagine a completed part in my mind's eye;then when I see what my human hands can do I'm a little disapointed with my skill.(Don't be so hard on yourself)
If you,David F and myself could collaborate on a how-to reference the CCF guy's could really use it.
Army = I'll sleep when I'm dead !
Marines = Sleep is for the weak !
Air Force = I don't want to get up!

- waterdog -

78 Ski Tique

leo0648 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leo0648 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-02-2007 at 1:51pm
http://66.77.200.232/images/company_a$$ets/512F1C7F-0D64-4A5E-9D91-785DC064755F/16cf4_Adv_of_Epoxy_v_Poly.pdf

I went and checked out the differences in epoxy vs polyester. Is the difference that big of a deal when used in a project like this. Or will polyester resin sufface in a 25 year marine environment.
The Lake View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Lake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-02-2007 at 4:12pm
Waterdog,

I think that's a great idea. If you guys could put together a restringer refoam manual we'd put you in the CCFan Hall of Fame. It really would be a great help.

Chuck
Walk on Water
www.coldwater.me

69 Ski Nautique
SkiBum View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkiBum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-02-2007 at 10:29pm
Originally posted by leo0648 leo0648 wrote:

I went and checked out the differences in epoxy vs polyester. Is the difference that big of a deal when used in a project like this. Or will polyester resin sufface in a 25 year marine environment.

When I started work on my project several people advised me to use epoxy resin. The major reason was that it is water proof where polyester resin actually holds or absorbs moisture. The moisture will only transmit to the wood stringers.

Before I found this site I bought a book about how to replace the floor and stringers in a boat. The author not only suggested using polyester resin, but further suggested going to "the big city" to find a plant that makes things from fibergla$$ to buy the resin in bulk cheaper than any other suppliers. The author also said that it was neccessary to sand the fibergla$$ if it has cured more than 24 hrs because of the wax moving to the surface.

As for the horrible amine blush problem, it is really not an issue. Most of the time you are going to be applying epoxy before the magical 24 hours expires. If it were polyester you would have to sand and clean it anyhow because of the wax.

My opinion, use epoxy. I have used about 12 gallons of epoxy without any problems.
Bill
SkiBum View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkiBum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-02-2007 at 10:34pm
Originally posted by The Lake The Lake wrote:

Waterdog,

I think that's a great idea. If you guys could put together a restringer refoam manual we'd put you in the CCFan Hall of Fame. It really would be a great help.
Chuck

Yeah, the adventures of Bumbling Bill!
Bill
SkiBum View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkiBum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-03-2007 at 12:18pm

When I used filler to level the floor it was so thin that it ran right off the side of the hull not helping to fill the connection of the hull and the floor. Mixed a batch of epoxy with aerosil cabosil until it was quite thick, then used a bunch of fairing compound to make a good filling mix. Went back and filled along the floor to hull connection. Of course only after wiping with acetone then sanding to remove the evil amine blush.

Bill
SkiBum View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkiBum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-03-2007 at 12:33pm

This is the underside of the removable floor piece. Yes, the underside. Mixed up some epoxy with a generous helping of white pigment. That stuff has been disappointing so far. Seems like the epoxy always dries with a yellow tint. So this time I used a bunch of the stuff. Probably broke some chemical pigment - epoxy mixing rules. That's what I do.

Guess I'll end up just sanding the bilge one more time. After that I am going to have to find a bright and shiny epoxy paint. Spent too much time on the bilge already.
Bill
Bremsen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bremsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-04-2007 at 1:31pm
Bill,
First, thanks so much for such a detailed writeup. I'm certain that this thread will be invaluable for anyone with an older nautique with bad floors/stringers. You are doing an amazing job and keeping an incredible pace.

I'm curious about the rear cross support for the main stringers. I see the provisions, but its not in and you appear to be doing finish coatings.

Keep up the excellent work.

-Ryan
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-04-2007 at 2:47pm
Originally posted by SkiBum SkiBum wrote:

I was staring aimlessly at the boat trying to think of what to do next. That is when I realized that I needed to make te braces that are perpendicular to the secondary stringers. I went back to the photos from deconstruction to remember how to put it back together. Thought these were more interesting than photos of sanding.

The floor is gla$$ed over this foam with 1"x2" supports that rest on the foam and are attached to the secondary stringers

Interesting Bill,

I pulled the port side floor out my 82 yesterday. It does not have the bracing which runs parallel to the stringers on top of the foam as yours does. Is only has the three small pieces runing perpindicular to the stringer. I'm guessing they had some issues with the floor sagging and added more bracing in later models. BKH
Livin' the Dream

SkiBum View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkiBum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-04-2007 at 6:27pm
Originally posted by Bremsen Bremsen wrote:

I'm curious about the rear cross support for the main stringers. I see the provisions, but its not in and you appear to be doing finish coatings.
-Ryan

I have not installed the cross member so I could work more easily in the bilge. I thought I could get the bilge almost done then come back and put that piece in later with minimal mess and an easy repair. Now I have given up on my hopes of a perfectly shiny bilge. I finished sanding today. It is flat and smooth. I have an order in to West Marine for some epoxy paint. You should see the cross support in the next few days.
Bill
SkiBum View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkiBum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-04-2007 at 6:30pm
Originally posted by bkhallpa$$ bkhallpa$$ wrote:

I pulled the port side floor out my 82 yesterday. It does not have the bracing which runs parallel to the stringers on top of the foam as yours does. Is only has the three small pieces runing perpindicular to the stringer. I'm guessing they had some issues with the floor sagging and added more bracing in later models. BKH

I am not really sure what purpose those serve. If your 82 didn't come with them it would be easy to add them. I just traced, cut, and chiseled until they fit tightly.

Bill
SkiBum View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkiBum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-04-2007 at 6:33pm
The floor thickness is 5/16" average. I know there have been several discussions about how much gla$$ and what layup is required to get certain thickness of gla$$ floor. This floor is:

Biaxial Mat
Epoxy Mat
10oz Cloth
Biaxial Mat

All of that makes 5/16". Some spots are just a hair thinner. Some have more filler making them thicker. Just some information that might be useful if you are planning a floor rebuild.
Bill
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-05-2007 at 10:52am
SkiBum:

Just FYI, CC uses plain old bilge paint in the bilge. Or at least they did on my '93. I restored a '77 Martinique in '89-'90 and used bilge paint in the bilge. When I sold the boat last year, the bilge paint was still in perfect condition...no peeling, flacking, nothing.

The picture earlier in this post of the grey paint that someone surmized was epoxy paint is the color of the bilge paint and thus I suspect that is exactly what it is.

See this link: Interlux Bilgekote. You will notice they make it in white. It truely is very durable just as they say. On the '77, I replace the removalbe floor section with 3/4" plywood and simple painted both side with the bilgekote (I would use epoxy resin now) and then glued the carpet on. When I sold the boat, it was still just as solid as it was in '89 even after getting saturated with water each time the boat was used.
sterlingmermaid View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sterlingmermaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-05-2007 at 3:42pm
how much would you charge to do the same job to my boat?
tk
SkiBum View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkiBum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-05-2007 at 5:16pm
Originally posted by David F David F wrote:

SkiBum:

Just FYI, CC uses plain old bilge paint in the bilge. Or at least they did on my '93. I restored a '77 Martinique in '89-'90 and used bilge paint in the bilge. When I sold the boat last year, the bilge paint was still in perfect condition...no peeling, flacking, nothing.

That is what I ordered the other day. Got any application tips. Plan to wipe with acetone then lightly sand once again before applying the bilge paint.
Bill
SkiBum View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkiBum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-05-2007 at 5:50pm

Making the rear crosmember out of two pieces of 1/2" plywood. Saturated both surfaces to be bonded with epoxy resin. Added a layer of 10oz gla$$ cloth, worked out all of the air bubbles, then set the pieces in place. Stacked some small weights the length of the brace until it cured. Top layer is epoxy mat with 3M Gla$$ bubbles to make it as smooth as possible. Once that cures the bottom will just be one layer of 10oz gla$$.
Bill
Nautique2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautique2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-05-2007 at 6:18pm
Bill,

This is a fantastic teaching thread you've put together. I'm sure many will benefit from it.

Question, how are you getting your complete work-out in when your weights are in use?

Ken
SkiBum View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkiBum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-06-2007 at 11:25am
Currently the support brace is gla$$ed and cured. It is waiting to be installed. The holdup is that I used 1/2" plywood, not 3/4" plwood for the removable floor. It is sturdy with four layers of gla$$ and resin. However, it came up a little low compared to the rest of the floor. Added two layers of epoxy mat and resin. Once cured and leveled I'll be able to install the support brace and fill all the imperfections. More sanding.
Bill
SkiBum View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkiBum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-09-2007 at 9:57am

Tried to outline the buildup with mMicrosoft Paint. Wiped with Acetone, sanded, then applied epoxy resin. Used epoxy mat and resin to buildup the height by about 1/4". Grinded off the excess then filled the gaps with epoxy resin and 403 Microfibers. Once cured I'll grind and sand some more. Not going to install the cross brace just yet. Need to sand the bilge again because the resin ran down the sides of the stringers into the bilge again. Gravity sucks.
Bill
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 34567 11>
  Share Topic