NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Gel Spraying Techniques

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1234 7>
Author
SkiBum View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkiBum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-14-2007 at 8:46pm
What has to be done to prepare the surface for the polyester gelcoat? I have been told poly does not stick to epoxy. Is that only for resins?

Thanks
Bill
http://www.freewebs.com/billsboatworks
www.freewebs.com/billsboatworks 1987 SN Rebuild Project
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-15-2007 at 6:17am
SkiBum, Stick with the epoxy for structural repairs and the polyesters for the gel repairs and you won't have any problems. If you do or have used epoxy for the repair of cracks in the gel, then you will need to prime first with a vinyl ester before the poly ester gel. Call your supplier and tell them exactly the products you have used to make sure what to apply next.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
SkiBum View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkiBum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-15-2007 at 9:20am
The boat has more repairs than a 1972 Harley Davidson on a cross country road trip. I am thinking grind, sand, then use the vinyl ester primer as a foundation for the polyester gelcoat. Thanks.
Bill
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-15-2007 at 9:32am
The polyester gel coat will stick to epoxy repairs a$$uming certain things have been done:

1. After the epoxy has cured, wipe it down liberally with Acetone to remove the oily residue that forms on the surface of cured epoxy (I forget the name of this residue). Do this before sanding so you do not sand the residue into the surface.
2. Roughen the surface of the epoxy with 60 grit or heavier paper to provide tooth for a good mechanical bond with the gel coat.
3. Wipe again with acetone to remove sanding dust, etc.

Now you can apply the gel coat without worries.

When the boats are constructed, the gelcoat is first sprayed into the mold. Then, before the gel coat has fully cured, the fibergla$$ composite is laid up. This result in a chemical bond between the polyester gelcoat and the polyester resin. However, with epoxy resins, you cannot create this chemical bond. Correct Craft uses a modified epoxy resin that will chemically bond with the polyester gel coat.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-15-2007 at 10:36am
SkiBum, I feel the vinyl ester primer is the way to go. It will stick to the epoxy and the poly ester gel will stick to it. It is one of the steps used to repair osmonic blistering on boats that sit in the water year round. The primer can also be tinted close to the finish color of the gel so you won't be trying to hide as much (repairs) with the gel only.

David, I think the word you are looking for is a "amine blush". It is by the way water soluable so it can be washed off with soap and water.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-15-2007 at 10:51am
Yep, that it...important thing is to get rid of it.
Waterdog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Waterdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-15-2007 at 1:42pm
Amine blush can be greatly reduced or eliminated completely by using a heat lamp if the surface can be heated to 100* f until fully cured 24 hr. or so. (Epon 828 10% DTA)
- waterdog -

78 Ski Tique

SkiBum View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkiBum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-15-2007 at 2:34pm
The smart guy at US Composites was in favor of the vinyl ester as well. I keep the garage at a min of 80 f but I don't have a way to get 100 f. For my stringer repair I have been using acetone to clean the areas I used epoxy but I did this after sanding.

Thanks for the help. I'll start in an area that cant be seen and work my way out into the open.
Bill
Waterdog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Waterdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-15-2007 at 6:07pm
If it's cool in my garage I bag the repair by taping a tarp around it . Then use a spring clamp portable light fixture with a 125 watt heat lamp it keeps the area warm overnight.It will keep the whole interior "toasty".
- waterdog -

78 Ski Tique

SkiBum View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkiBum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-15-2007 at 7:16pm
Just might have to try that. Thanks
Bill
SkiBum View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkiBum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-19-2007 at 8:36am
Started spraying gelcote on the inside of the boat (where it would be covered by combing pads and the back seat when the boat is put together). I have a few questions:

1. How long do I wait before spraying the next coat or layer of gelcote? (While it is still wet? Only after it dries?)

2. Can I do something that will minimize the amount of orange peel that results?

3. When sanding, can I first use an orbital sander and knock down the orange peel, then wet sand? (If not, what is the roughest paper I should use to wet sand?)

Thank you.
Bill
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-19-2007 at 8:42am
Bill, you can definitely be more aggressive than the 600 youve been using. I went down to 320 on my deck to restore the color.
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-19-2007 at 9:25am
Bill:

Nothing can be done to minimize orange peel. You want to thin the gelcoat with Styrene only as much as is necessary to let you spray it and no more. I start sanding with 120 grit to knock down the orange peel. I use:

Tracer, 120, tracer, 220, tracer, 320, tracer 400, 600, 800, compound, polish, wax. Sanding block until 400 grit.

If you find that you sanded through the gelcoat or have a low spot, then I suggest that you continue sanding with at least 320 grit and make sure ALL the tracer is removed, even if you have to sand without the block. Do NOT gelcoat over any remaining tracer, or it will show at the blend line.

BTW, I am a fan of only hand sanding as the sanding machines can get you in trouble quick.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-19-2007 at 10:38am
Skibum, You're finally getting to the spraying. Great progress. I've been watching what you have been doing and feel you've gone beyond what most would do. Great job!

2nd coats of gel can be sprayed as soon as most of the solvent (styrene) has flashed off. This can be in as little as 20 minutes but it depends on the heat and humidity.

David is right that nothing can be done with the orange peel except sand it off after it cures. If you reduce it too much, you will not get the dry film build that is needed. The stuff doesn't like to be sprayed. It's like trying to spray a solvent based contact cement.

The wet sanding is going to be time consuming. You will need to get a feel for what grit paper you can start with and feel comfortable that you won't sand too far. Only HARD block sand untill the orange peel is removed. This can be tricky on concave and convex surfaces. I have used all sorts of things laying around to use as shaped sanding blocks. If you use your orbital first, you will be left with orange peel bumps. Go with the hard block wet first.

When you get the orange peel knocked off, there are 2 products that woodworkers supply carries that I have found to be very helpfull. They are hook and loop sanding pads that will go on your random orbit electric sander that can be used wet. They are available from 320 to 10,000 grit. I gave up on my air DA sander simply because I don't have a 20HP compressor to keep up with it! With the electric in one hand and a spray bottle of water in the other, it really speeds this up. You also don't sand off the skin on you fingers! I've done so much that I don't think I have any finger prints anymore!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-19-2007 at 11:01am
I should have included that I start wet sanding at 400 grit. My material of choice for a hard block is varying lenghts of wood corner moulding. Corner molding has rounded edges that will not dig in and the 90 degree angle gives me two sanding surfaces and a great hand hold.

On flat surfaces, I have a used a palm sander with good results. Still, 90% of the sanding on my project was done by hand.
SkiBum View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkiBum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-19-2007 at 11:13am
Thanks to both of you. I really appreciate your expertise. I do not know what "tracer" means. Can you explain that one to me? Thank you again.
Bill
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-19-2007 at 11:39am
Tracer - you spray a very light light coat of black spray paint over the gel, to expose the low spots. Than as you sand it down you can tell if the surface is becoming flat. BKH
Livin' the Dream

SkiBum View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkiBum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-19-2007 at 7:30pm
Originally posted by bkhallpa$$ bkhallpa$$ wrote:

Tracer - you spray a very light light coat of black spray paint over the gel, to expose the low spots. Than as you sand it down you can tell if the surface is becoming flat. BKH

Okay, got it. Thanks.
Bill
SkiBum View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkiBum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-25-2007 at 8:21pm
I am in the process of grinding the gelcote off the boat. I take it all of the way to the gla$$ where there are stress cracks. In the other areas I grind it until I start to see the gla$$.   Then I sand with 40 grit in preparation for the new gelcote.

I have two questions. First, do I need to take all of the gelcote off or is it sufficient to grind it to almost nothing.

Second, when bare fibergla$$ is exposed, do I need to apply something to the surface before applying the gelcote?

Thanks in advance.
Bill
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-26-2007 at 9:38am
No to both. I agree that you should sand to fibergla$$ where there are stress cracks. If no stress cracks, then you really only need to take off the surface of the existing gelcoat...i.e the oxidized part. If there is an area of significant stress cracking, then you may want to consider what I did. Since my boat was involved in a collision with rocks, the fibergla$$ that was not destroyed was severly flexed to the point the gelcoat was crazed/cracked like broken tempered gla$$. I ground off all the gelcoat and then brushed on very thin epoxy resin. I applied heat with a heat gun as I applied to make it flow better. My theory was that the thin and flowing resin would fill the stress cracks that were no doubt present in the fibergla$$ composite. Hopefully, this method would produce a strong enough mechanical bond within the composite to prevent future stress cracks within the new gelcoat. Two years later so far so good. The thinned resin was then faired out with bondo providing the final fairing. I found that grinding off the gelcoat created a very bumpy and irregular surface. bondo took care of the issue.
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-26-2007 at 10:31am
bkh- its a guide coat, the longer the sanding block the better, dont use a DA you'll have a tendency to dig with the edge of it and create valleys.make sure you use a good filler epoxy primer and blast it on there with 3 heavy coats, let it tach up between coats, then block sand with 180 then re-coat again. This makes it laser straight. this is what i do and i am not saying this is the way to do it, im merely just making suggestion and through trial and error over the years this what i found to work the best
"the things you own will start to own you"
SkiBum View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkiBum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-26-2007 at 1:04pm
I am not sure if I understand correctly, but here is my plan. On the exposed fibergla$$ I will apply thinned epoxy resin. Over that I will use Bondo filler. I will not sand all of the gelcote to the gla$$, only that with cracks. But I will apply resin to the areas where the cracks are located.

When grinding the gelcote I am able to make a reasonably smooth surface. Any indentations are taken out with the 40 grit. Now, there are low spots extending to the gla$$ that will need to be epoxied and filled.

Eric, when you talk about using a long sanding block are you refering to sanding the new gelcote?
Bill
SkiBum View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkiBum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-26-2007 at 7:58pm

I am going to build some boat stands. I did not have a chance to drive out to the lumber yard today. So, instead of grinding and sanding on the bottom I decided to work on the stern. My poor old boat has a ton of gelcote cracks. They are caused by the cracks in the fibergla$$ below the gelcote. I figure I am going to have to grind to the gla$$ on most of the boat. The stringers were terribly rotten and the floor was coming apart.

I grinded, sanded, cleaned the garage, then used 202 and wiped the stern. I applied a layer of epoxy resin. I will scrub with a scratch pad and clean water when cured. Then I'll fill with Bondo and sand again.

If I get away from work at a reasonable hour I'll pick up some materials to make stands.
Bill
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-26-2007 at 8:49pm
It almost looks like it's had part of the transom replaced at one point in time. Looks like distinct line in the gla$$ on both sides like a panel waas installed in the center.
SkiBum View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkiBum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-27-2007 at 7:48am
I found major damage in the hull inside the boat during the stringer/floor repair. I also noticed that there was repaired damage under the boat. That probably accounts for all the cracks in the gla$$. Should be able to fix her up though.
Bill
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-27-2007 at 8:11am
Bill, I wonder if the cracks in the gla$$ below the gel were caused by moisture? Also keep in mind that Bondo is a polyester and it too will absorb water. For fairing, I think I would stick with the epoxy with a filler that is sanded easily.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-27-2007 at 9:19am
Chris:

I believe the lines you see in that picture is the wood laminated into the transom from the factory. Whenever CC needs to mount something to the hull, they laminated in plywood so the screws would not penetrate the hull. The wood is installed early in the lamination process and I believe you are simple seeing the "print" through. If it was a previous repair, the blend line would not be straight.

Bondo is a proven fairing compound under gelcoat. I do agree the majority of the fairing should be done with thickened epoxy, but the final fairing (fill minor low spots)with Bondo is acceptable. Remember, gelcoat is nothing more than glorified polyester resin.

Bill: That lip/curl under the deck flange is a bear. Do not loose faith, you are making great progress.
SkiBum View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkiBum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-27-2007 at 12:38pm
You can definately see that where the wood was laminated into the stern the cracking is substantially reduced as apposed to where there is no wood backing. I applied one layer of epoxy resin to the stern. I'll do two more layers followed with a thin layer of Bondo that will be mostly sanded away. Will this create adhesion issues with the polyester gelcote?
Bill
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-27-2007 at 1:18pm
You will be fine. However, I think after the first coat of VERY THIN epoxy is applied, any subsequent coats will have no added benefit as you have already sealed off the cracks. What you want to do is get the epoxy to flow into the cracks. Hence heating the epoxy, after application with a heat gun will help it flow better and get down into the cracks.
SkiBum View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkiBum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-27-2007 at 9:43pm

I know it is a bad picture. Worked late tonight but I was determined to get the boat on stands. It was not the best job of boat stand making in the world. Two stands in the back, two toward the front, and two sets of blocks; one under the front and one under the back are supporting the boat now. The boat is stable, the system isn't pretty. Made a lot more room to work around the boat.

David, I understand what you are saying about the heat gun and the epoxy. My first layer was 635 thin epoxy 3:1 with no fillers and the garage was 80f. I will start using a heat gun in future epoxy applications.

I will keep plugging away. Thanks for all the help. I am sure I'll be asking more questions time progress.
Bill
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1234 7>
  Share Topic