NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

64 American Skier updates!

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 64 American Skier updates!
    Posted: August-10-2006 at 9:38am
Finally thought Id post some pics of what pretty much occupied my month of June.
It all started out as "just installing a bilge blower". After finally finding a bow scoop that looked right on the boat, I started to install the blower. When I took up the old carpet and floor to install the vent hoses,
I found some minor rot in the outside floor stringers. So,I "sistered" some new one along the old.

Of coarse that called for a new floor..it had 1/2" treated ply that felt like a sponge, so I replaced it with 5/8" bc that I treated with an epoxy.

Also a good time to detail the big 6 banger...

After the new floor , I was having a hard time re-installing the blue interior..(red and white had been screaming at me for months)
so one night a friend who builds street rods and does some upholstery work, and I were talking over a couple of cool ones. I showed him a sketch I had drawn of what I thought would look good..he agreed and with less than 3 weeks to Green Lake, we decided the time was right to re-do the interior!
This pic shows the new side panels installed. I copied the outside body line of the hull and two-toned them.

While he was making a new interior, I re-painted the red bootstripe. I also installed a new depth sounder. I used an Autometer chrome cup to mount it in. I wanted it to have a "60s tach" look, so I mounted it just above the steering column.

We were leaving for Green Lake on Thursday (July 13) . On the 12th I was picking up the last yard of material from ups at 8 in the morning (kinda figured too close) to finish the seats. That night at 10, I was installing the last of the interior and engine cover..

Other things that have been done were..some re-wiring and a new fuse panel installed..an original ski mirror and windwings installed. New bilge pump. A new "Correct Craft" pennant for the bow light, made by a friends wife..re-chromed gas cap and misc fittings.
heres a pic of the boat right after I bought her..

and a pic of her as she looks today..

as Ive told a lot of people.. its hard to beat the "dollar to fun" ratio in this old girl!
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2006 at 9:53am
Looks great! You really did a lot of work in a short period of time. I like the new color scheme. Again, great job.
Atmspltr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atmspltr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2006 at 9:54am
Really cool...and sadly very familiar...if I may share

old boat

stripped

new stringers

almost done

I did the same way...1/2" plywood with resin coating, glassed to the hull.
skicat View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skicat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2006 at 9:59am
Great looking job on the restore 62. It should make a few people stare when out on the water. Another classic brought back to life!
Greg

86 BFN
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2006 at 10:03am
Lookes great Atom splitter. BKH
Livin' the Dream

Munday View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Munday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2006 at 10:03am
Nice job Wood.I love the fact you tackled the interior under a short time deadline.Reminds me of west coast chopper shows you see on tv.
One of the things I miss the most on my 92 is a bow flag,I've looked at all kinds of hardware but nothing seems right on that uncluttered deck.

Love your boat bet that 6 sounds awesome

cya Munday
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2006 at 10:05am
There sure are some talented folks on this forum. Another great job!
64 Skier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 64 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2006 at 10:17am
Have you guy's tried Ford 6 Performancce Parts? It's a great website for adding HP to the 6 cylinder.

Great looking boats!

64 Skier
66" HO VTX and 67" HO Triumph
71CC
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2006 at 10:48am
oh yeah, how could I forget?
I broke the strut support for the prop shaft a couple weeks before GL also!!!
Heres a little better pic of the interior..

64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
scott8370 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scott8370 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2006 at 10:49am
great job! Having a dead line helps to get things done faster...wow! I love the colors you chose.Good to go for another 40 years
Scott
David Adams View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David Adams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2006 at 11:02am
I commend you on your superb job. I sure hope you enjoy her as much as I would. Totally awesome!!!
1974 Mustang
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2006 at 5:17pm
Originally posted by Munday Munday wrote:

cya Munday

Yeah, Its the only 6 I've owned... I though it would not be too cool , but I actually had a friend, who owns an 81 M.craft, make me lift the engine cover...said you'd never know it was a six when cruising by his place...
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2006 at 5:42pm
Steve don't be too down on that 6 banger i believe there are more go fast parts for it than you think. Earlier this year I stoped by my Dad's shop and he was gone helping another buddy of his dial in a progressive linkage and tweak the carbs on a dual carb set up on a hot rod he had just finished. So I decided to cruise over there and check it and razz dad a little since he haddn't done much carb work in awhile and I was amazed that Ron had an inline 6 in his coupe and not a V-8 and got a lesson that the motor was brand new not rebuilt and that was what they used to do in the old days. Listening to the motor you would have never know it was a 6 banger if the hood was down and the thing would scoot alone pretty good so there is hope you might be able to hop your's up and give some a run for their money. There suppose to be pretty torquey and thats what you want in a boat motor not HP.
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2006 at 6:10pm
Originally posted by Munday Munday wrote:

cya Munday

Munday, Steve's boat sounds really sweet, I was really impressed when I saw and heard it. The exhaust note just seems to fit the boat perfectly. It was not what I expected from a 6 banger at all.
The Dude View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2006 at 9:31pm
both of you guys have done some great work. I love to see these old boats redeemed and find new life. Thanks for your hard work and showing it to us. Very cool!
Mullet Free since 93
95 Sport
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2006 at 9:55pm
Outstanding, well done!
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
rleinen79 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rleinen79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2006 at 9:57pm
81 Nautique and I had taken a break to swim in the middle of GL, and 62 wood came by.....I would've bet you a weeks pay that he had a V8 in there. It sounds (and looks) absolutely fabulous. He did a great job!!

Rob
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2006 at 10:35pm
My congrats to both you guys. One of the best things goin' here is the way you talented guys share your stories, help, and pics.

Love to see these old classics saved like this. Value/dollar=very high!

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2006 at 11:43pm
also have a 1964 am. skier,resurected from a near death ,interior complete,new stringers,floor etc.now the need for speed,331 stroker due for install before fall. boating season is long a La. we wont winterize till Dec.new windsheild on order also,boy do i love these old CC's...... boat dr
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2006 at 12:12am
Thanks for all the kind words!

As Ive said before, I just about didnt buy the boat because of the six beater.. she doesnt have a lot of top end,but the first time I fired her up,I was awed that it could sound that sweet without the "stereo" exhaust of a v8.

Chris ,as for the hi-perf parts.. I found out a few months ago that I can put the "big" 250ci six from a 70s maverick, granada,etc right in. That alone will give me about a third more cubes.. (this is a 170ci engine..I think?).. Anyway I might start looking for one of these ,just to stick in the corner in case the need arises...

64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-15-2006 at 9:04am
Originally posted by 64 Skier 64 Skier wrote:

Have you guy's tried Ford 6 Performancce Parts? It's a great website for adding HP to the 6 cylinder.

Great looking boats!

64, I did go to that site a little bit right after I got the boat.. What I was trying to find out if theres a way to tell if the motor has a solid lift or hydaulic cam? Sounds like thats the era that ford was changing from solids... Its running pretty good , but i would sure like to set lifters to the right specs..

Anyone know a way to tell ?

boat dr..you got any pics of your ride?
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
67nautique312 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67nautique312 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2006 at 12:39pm
Hey wood,

The sound of that six is something to be proud of and especially with gas prices the way they are you'll be laughing all the way to the bank!!

Thanks again for the side vents for my 63 old buddy!! Hope to see ya soon!

Paul,
1963 Classic (handed down to my daughter)
67 Riviera
68 barracuda
1971 Ski Nautique Promo
86 Silver Nautique
1995 Ski Nautique
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2006 at 11:52pm
Paul!
I was beginin' to worry...hadnt seen any posts from you for a while! Alls well I hope?

I am really starting to appreciate the ol 6 beater...most of the time its just my wife and I for an evening cruise. We still pull an occasional recreation skier...still plenty of power for that..

And as you said... gas ...we went out Sun. for almost 3hrs and used less than 4 gal of fuel...cheaper than going to a movie and a WHOLE lot more fun!
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic