NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

New to me 78 Tique

Post Reply Post Reply Page   123 21>
Author
samudj01 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samudj01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New to me 78 Tique
    Posted: February-27-2017 at 12:05am
Below is the original post to this thread.  Unfortunately the site was hacked and all picutures lost.  Happy to send detailed pics to anyone looking at this thread with questions.  Below see pics of before:

And After:

Had been looking for an older boat to go along with my 99 Sport. Saw a 78 Tique on craigslist this morning obo and thought it was too nice to call about. Thank you TRBenj! Tim, knowing I was looking for something, texted me and told me to get on the road. After speaking to the owner, my friend Jesse and I loaded up and drove the looong 1.5hrs to buy this beautiful 1978 Ski Tique (yes, I will fill out a diary soon). Jesse and I bought the boat together and hope to bring this beauty back to its original condition.

First up will be the engine and the trailer. Engine popped the freeze plugs in 2013 so we are on pins and needles as to engine...anyone know a good correct craft engine shop around the Carolinas? We are going to soak her this week and put a bar on it next weekend just to be cautious. 302 Commander.

Otherwise I am very pleased with the boat. New floor and carpet, solid mounts, and from what I can see, all parts there. Trailer has a little left to be desired but it trailered well on the trip home at 65 mph. Pics follow (people in pics are seller and son). Realize now that I didn't get any interior shots. Those to come. And to all, Fram is on there. Don't worry, will change. Thoughts? Let me know what you see is askew.

Questions:
Oil and filter...same as my GT40?
Anyone with pics of where these freeze plugs are?

78 Ski Tique, 72 Skier w/302's, 93 SN w/351 & 17 GS22 w/zr409
Previous - 99 Sport Nautique w/GT40 and 87 Martinique w/351
IAughtNaut View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IAughtNaut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-27-2017 at 12:52am
Very cool. let me know if you are looking for an assistant who doesn't know what he's doing.
bring the ruckus
2000 Pro Air
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-27-2017 at 1:09am
Pretty engine and boat. We will get you running again.
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-27-2017 at 1:59am
Nice purchase! Freeze plug isn't the end of the world (hopefully) just inspect closely for cracks.

Trailer looks like it could be brought back to original with the help of some Tim Benjamin fenders and a bow stop!

Wix 51515 for the filter.
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-27-2017 at 3:31am
Very Nice!
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-27-2017 at 8:10am
David,
Nice find! Good luck on the engine. I sure hope it's OK. For oil, I suggest 20-50 with a good ZDDP content like Valvolene VR1. All the gel chips on the chines and stem are a pretty easy fix with a gel kit. FYI, the cotter on the prop nut is bent the wrong way. The one leg of the cotter gets bend over a nut flat and the other can be cut short or bent length wise parallel to the shaft. It's a very common mistake. Keep us posted on the engine.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
NCH20SKIER View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NCH20SKIER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-27-2017 at 9:48am
Another 16 footer for the Badin Lake event
'05 206 Limited
'88 BFN
samudj01 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samudj01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-27-2017 at 11:15am
So quick order of near term events to come. Let me know if and where I am off:
-tonight. Pour a couple oz atf in each plug. Let soak til weekend
-detailed visual inspection of block for cracks
-put new freeze plugs in (any explanation on this process and placement?). I plan to look for the holes, feel around them for issues and then put the new plugs in and tighten.

-weekend, turn engine with bar (there is an arrow on the main wheel, no?)
-check water pump impeller. Plan to replace before trying to start in the future
-if it turns (how many turns to get oil around?), hook up battery and compression test if the starter works and the wiring is ok? Or should we be looking to drive the oil pump with a drill. I read about this in the latest promo thread, although this engine has run more recent.

Oil visually looks good on the dipstick. Should we change it before any of this process? Or change it after we test the block?
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-27-2017 at 11:16am
As I told David, the trailer looks to be quite a bit older than the boat. 4-lug hubs, raised coupler, early guide post style and cross members that don't extend at all (front) or minimally (rear) past the angle where the fenders are mounted. It would have had curved fenders on it originally, the square ones would have nowhere to mount. I'd be putting a cc-style bow stop on it in any case- either low or high style would be a big improvement over what's on there now.

Let us walk you through the engine... this is going to predate most marine mechanics expertise. You'll get better advice here.
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-27-2017 at 11:25am
That looks like a nice clean starting point and I love the early yellow Tiques/Nautiques.    Well Done!
ScottZ View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ScottZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-27-2017 at 12:18pm
Nice find!
Scott Zuelzke
Lake Mitchell , AL

1984 Ski Nautique       
1972 Skier
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-27-2017 at 1:09pm
Well David it starts out all innocent, you buy your first Correct Craft and tell your wife this will be great for the family. Pretty soon 1 just isn't enough, you find yourself obsessively searching Craigslist for just a little something to spice things up, next thing you know you are towing home a Tique, after some polish and wrenching you need more, pretty soon adding a Promo just isn't taking away the edge, before you know it you are strung out on Mustangs yet still trying to score another Skier, eventually your yard will be filled with trailers and boat hulls will be hanging from trees in your yard.

Welcome to the multi CC family!!

Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-27-2017 at 1:28pm
We picked up our '78 2 years ago with the same situation. The freeze plugs are along the sides of the block above the oil pan. Some of them are tough to get at because stuff is in the way. We bought some rubber compression plugs which were easier to install so we could get it running in the driveway.

Quinner's correct. It is a sickness, especially those decent looking fixer uppers like yours. I hope you have good luck and no freeze damage!
samudj01 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samudj01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-27-2017 at 1:44pm
Thanks to all for the replies. The seller handed me some rubber stoppers with nuts in the end, both in original packaging and two brass discs (assume these were the original plugs). Which to use? The rubber ones look like no explanation needed. Explain the brass if I should use them. I'll take pics tonight of the choices.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-27-2017 at 1:49pm
How to install block core plugs aka: freeze plugs

Bruce is correct. you may nee to remove things like the manifolds to replace the plugs. Rubber to me is temporary and very back yard. When you get it running, take the time to get the brass installed.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-27-2017 at 2:01pm
The rubber is fine to get it running in the driveway. No sense taking the time to do it the "right way" if the block is cracked.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-27-2017 at 2:03pm
Manifolds won't be in the way, but the starter might be (usually it's the rear plugs that pop). Mounts may block access if it's a front plug for some strange reason. Agree with Pete, use the brass if you have enough access to tap them with a hammer (and large socket). I've gotten lucky in the past once or twice when the core plugs popped and prevented further freeze damage... obviously that isn't always the case. Hope it is this time though!
NCH20SKIER View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NCH20SKIER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-27-2017 at 2:40pm
I have had success utilizing a hardwood dowel / broom handle when installing the freeze plugs.
Keep the paddle out of it
'05 206 Limited
'88 BFN
Donald80SN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-27-2017 at 2:52pm
David,

Great looking boat, and nice find. I figured your next one would be a large Vee Drive for the family.

Please do not call them freeze plugs, they are casting plugs. Now I feel better.

Donald
1980 Ski Nautique SOLD Back to Cypress Gardens
2002 Sport Nautique, GT-40, FCT2, Cover Sports, Tower Bimini, Inc., Wet Sounds Audio System, Star Gazer Wake Edition S.
1968 Ski Nautique, Project.
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-27-2017 at 3:43pm
When tapping a freeze plug into a tight space I have used a socket as already mentioned but I added a 6 inch extension and knocked it in with the extension and a hammer.
Choose a socket that fits the freeze plug well so it knocks it in without deformation.
Make sure the freeze plug hole is clean and free of rust so you get a good seal and don't distort your new plug on install.
It does not take a large hit to knock a freeze plug in. Knock them in just till flush with your block. I usually put a thin coat of gasket sealant around the hole in the block to fill any small nicks or possible leak paths before installing the plug. Since these are a metal to metal seal any scratch in the block can be a leak path.
If you make a mistake and the plug is knocked in crooked it can leave a leak path. I would start over with a new plug. For $2. it is not worth risking a leak.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-27-2017 at 3:44pm
They are core print plugs Donaldo
MartyMabe View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartyMabe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-27-2017 at 3:53pm
David
Marty here. What you forget about me? I like road trips too! Give me a call or email and I'll help you out.
66 Skylark
93 SN
If you're not living in NC, you're just camping out!
samudj01 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samudj01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-27-2017 at 3:57pm
Not to worry. I have to get my direct drives while I can. Ridgely has been asking about a vdrive for a while. Will get a 210 someday to replace the sport I guess. Sad, but my plan is to have at least one or two other direct drives as dad's ski boats. This is a step in that direction. Just hope she runs again.

And Marty, I didn't forget about you...mentioned you to Jesse yesterday as we were looking at the decals that are missing or in rough shape. Jesse and I have been talking about a project boat for a while. Our wives are worried it will be a time sink. We have reassured them that it WILL be.
Donald80SN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-27-2017 at 6:37pm
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

They are core print plugs Donald

Hollywood, correction noted. I do realize you are an Engineer for a Metal Casting Company, or something in that industry. I am sure you do know what you are taking about. I am just trying to keep David out of trouble.

Speaking of trouble, David you may inspect that fuel line to the carb. It is hard to see from the photo and it actually looks like two tubes running side by side. Make sure the line handling the fuel is solid metal and not rubber.

1980 Ski Nautique SOLD Back to Cypress Gardens
2002 Sport Nautique, GT-40, FCT2, Cover Sports, Tower Bimini, Inc., Wet Sounds Audio System, Star Gazer Wake Edition S.
1968 Ski Nautique, Project.
samudj01 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samudj01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-27-2017 at 6:59pm
There are two tubes. A clear rubber tube that runs the entire length and a metal tube that runs to the carb. Note in the pic that where the metal goes to the carb it bends the 90degree turn with a thick black rubber hose with hose clamps to the carb and to the metal tube.
samudj01 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samudj01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-27-2017 at 7:01pm
Why can't I quick reply from my iPhone? Also, how to post pics from iPhone?
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-27-2017 at 7:03pm
Originally posted by samudj01 samudj01 wrote:

Why can't I quick reply from my iPhone? Also, how to post pics from iPhone?

Can't and can't. Or at least I don't know how. Photobucket for the latter.

That engine is so clean I completely overlooked the Edelbrock. Fine on Chryslers but I'd be searching for a 450cfm Holley marine unit with a proper metal fuel line. Not before getting the engine running (probably), but I'd put it on the list.
samudj01 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samudj01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-27-2017 at 7:58pm
Is the edlebrock stock? Is it an issue or is the Holley just preferred?
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-27-2017 at 8:50pm
I don't think an Edlebrock marine carb was used on anything originally. Holley's and Quickfuel's are preferred,(the Holley's being oem) but some people particularly on other sites like them. If it works for you,you can leave it.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
tryathlete View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tryathlete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-27-2017 at 9:33pm
Sounds like you're starting a self-help group! Correct Craft's Anon!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   123 21>
  Share Topic