NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1964 ski Nautique project

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1234>
Author
Eether View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eether Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-06-2016 at 1:11am
Wow I didn't realize it went up that high. Does that boat have a mound of foam poured haphazardly around the lift rod as well?
There was a scrap of one main stringer that had a angled section, but I assumed it leveled back out like the later models. I was planning on pouring foam in that whole area up to the bow and then shaping it flat with a slight slope back towards the cockpit. It seems that's how Tims skier is.
skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-06-2016 at 1:28am
Originally posted by Eether Eether wrote:

Wow I didn't realize it went up that high. Does that boat have a mound of foam poured haphazardly around the lift rod as well?
There was a scrap of one main stringer that had a angled section, but I assumed it leveled back out like the later models. I was planning on pouring foam in that whole area up to the bow and then shaping it flat with a slight slope back towards the cockpit. It seems that's how Tims skier is.

There was never any foam put in this boat. Here is another picture of further up in the bow, you can see the rod going to the lifting ring, but I don't have any pictures showing where it attaches to the bottom of the hull, the point where it sounds like you found foam in yours..

70CC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 70CC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-11-2016 at 8:58pm
Ethan, Looks like you're making great progress!

I would say the bulkhead mounted pylon is correct. Steve can correct me, but I don't think his Dad's boat has a bulkhead which is why the mount is glassed to the bottom of the floor. I'm going to guess your boat was made at a later time when CC added the bulkhead. Does anyone know if Art's boat has a bulkhead?

As far as I can tell, the front floor section and seats are really unique in the Kutsch boat. Most that I have seen have a bench seat and under the seat is a large cut-out to access the battery.

I'm attaching pics from Skeeter's 64 below so you can see the seat base construction and battery access that I believe is correct and more typical.

Since you don't have the original hand throttle, I'm assuming your boat was set up like mine, I'd suggest going with the foot throttle as it should be a lot easier to find one and I think it will be more functional. I am not looking forward to low speed maneuvering (like docking) with a shift on the dash and throttle only on the side both operated by the same hand. Seems like a clumsy set-up,

-Phil
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-11-2016 at 9:38pm
Originally posted by 70CC 70CC wrote:

I'd suggest going with the foot throttle as it should be a lot easier to find one and I think it will be more functional. I am not looking forward to low speed maneuvering (like docking) with a shift on the dash and throttle only on the side both operated by the same hand. Seems like a clumsy set-up,
-Phil

Ethan,
I agree with Phil. As suggested, see if you can find a foot throttle.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
juniorwoody View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote juniorwoody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-11-2016 at 9:52pm
Hi Ethan, I have a 1960 Atom. Similar circumstances in regards the throttle. I found the Morse throttle mounted on the gunnel was to busy combined with the shifter lever on the column. Original was long gone but had been foot. I have been installing the teleflex cable system with a non original foot petal and I think operation will be much more user friendly.
Go for it.
The value of money spent on new adventure far exceeds the value of money saved for the future
Eether View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eether Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-11-2016 at 10:32pm
Thanks for the pictures guys, they sure help alot!
I picked up a old morse throttle/shift control from the boneyard this weekend just in case, but definitely prefer the dash shifter. Hadn't really thought of how awkward the split arrangement would be until it was just mentioned. It looks like the boat came with the hand throttle... All this is definitely something to think about.

The boat is upside down right now and bunch of the gel is in the form of dust coating everything in my shop. Ill try to post a picture of the frame I used to flip the boat later this week.

At this point the tentative plan is solid turquoise top and bottom with a white boot stripe, white seats with turquoise piping to set it off.    Does anyone know of a good way to match the color other than trial and error?

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-11-2016 at 11:01pm
Originally posted by Eether Eether wrote:

Does anyone know of a good way to match the color other than trial and error?

Ethan,
See if one of Mini-Craft of Florida has a standard gel color

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-11-2016 at 11:23pm
Last time I used Mini Craft they made the whole process difficult,good luck with them ,it's worth a try maybe I got a hold of someone on a bad day. I have some pictures of the boat Art cares for, I will post them tomorrow.

69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Eether View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eether Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-18-2016 at 8:20am
Ok, some more questions for the geniuses of CCfan..
While removing the gelcoat back to bare fiberglass, a ton of these little “pockets” have shown up in the old layup directly under the gelcoat. Is filling them all with fairing compound during that process a reasonable solution or is there a better procedure?
The more concerning issue is all of the hair line cracks that matched up with the cracks in the gelcoat. They are the lighter colored lines you see everywhere. (Literally thousands) There really isn’t any discernible crack you can feel, it just somewhat scary considering the time invested in this hull so far. They are really only near the water line as well which is incidentally where the gelcoat is the thickest. Id have to check, but it seems like Cbass put a layer of cloth/mat(?) on the bottom of his for extra insurance against cracks?

Eether View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eether Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-18-2016 at 8:24am
The second question is concerning this fine specimen of a trailer. The boat came with, but not on this cc trailer. The number on the id plate is 4-324 manufactured in 7/70. I understand the 3# to be the correct trailer for the boat, but is this trailer worth refurbishing in the mean time? It used to be home to a wildcat, which probably explains the po added structure.
Thanks in advance!

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-18-2016 at 8:46am
Take a few measurements of the bunks on that trailer and I'll compare it to my #3 and #4dv. I didn't think that there was such a thing as a non-dv #4, but that sure seems to be what we're looking at. The dv keeps the bunks parallel so as not to cross the strakes on a deep vee hull... This causes loading issues for a flat bottom boat. I would guess you're probably OK since these bunks clearly taper- but let's confirm.

On a side note, I know of someone who would probably swap a #3 for that #4... So perhaps we should discuss!
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-18-2016 at 8:50am
Ethan,
Your picture doesn't show real large pockets in the original layup so I wouldn't be too worried. I'd suggest a coat or two of vinyl ester resin. It will get into the voids. You don't want to use an epoxy resin since the gel being polyester doesn't adhere well to epoxy. The alternate is epoxy first, vinyl ester second and then the gel. How fair did you get the hull?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Eether View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eether Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-18-2016 at 9:43am
Tim, I'll take some measuments tonight. The 1975 brochure shows it listed, and one of the trailers in the picture looks similar, but it's hard to tell.. Seems like it's about 55" at the back of the bunks if I remember correctly.

Pete, there are some definite voids that will have to be addressed, but mostly just those small bubbles. There's still a ton to do, but the tool of choice thus far has been a 36 grit pad on a 7" grinder. I grind carefully until the sandpaper just barely starts to "kiss" the glass, and then switch to a long board or in line sander depending on the contour. By and large everything is staying very smooth and fair. One issue is that there are certain places along the chine where the gelcoat ran down the mold and puddled. I'm just leaving these til later when plan I'll probably grind them out individually and fair them with the surrounding glass. I'm trying to spend more time at this stage, because it will probably save me time on the back end..
Is it imperative to take it to bare glass even where the old gelcoat is in good shape?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-18-2016 at 9:52am
Ethan,
As long as the puddled gel at the chine is sound, I'd leave it fair and just go over it. There's plenty of glass behind it for strength.

How much old gel is in good shape? I'd be inclined to remove it as well. The old gels aren't what they are today and I'd hate to see problems pop up later.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-18-2016 at 10:56am
Those little cracks that go through all the way down to the glass are likely to telegraph back through the new gel.   You are going to need to cover them with some glass – I would probably go with a thin surfacing veil mat.   I would consider vinylester for this layer, I know the layer is going to add time, cost and work but minimal comparted to what else you have done. That will also fill in the little voids to a reasonable extent.   This needs to go under your fairing efforts.    
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-18-2016 at 11:02am
Ethan,
Post a picture of the hair line cracks.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-18-2016 at 11:31am
Scroll up Pete.
C-Bass View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C-Bass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-18-2016 at 11:47am
Ethan,

Your thread is giving me PTSD...all that grinding, all those cracks.

When I had my boat upside down, I ground out the big cracks and tapered them outwards, then filled with thickened epoxy. Then I covered that with a thin layer of cloth. This was laid down with VE resin, then fairing compound over the top of that to fill the cloth print. I wrapped the cloth around the chine and up the side about a foot. This is where the big cracks were in my hull. I do have numerous cracks on the topside like you are seeing as well, and I plan on doing the same.

As far as Pete's recommendation on using VE resin vs. epoxy, I feel unless you can get your working conditions in the upper 70's °F, then stick with epoxy. The VE resin did fine if there was some thickness to the layup, but when laying down real thin layers, it does not want to cure very well, at least in my experience.
Craig
67 SN
73 SN
99 Sport
85SN
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-18-2016 at 12:33pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Scroll up Pete.

What the H do you think I've been looking at??? I don't see any cracks!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-18-2016 at 12:36pm
I think Ethan is implying the Mat fibers themselves are the cracks, sort of like roving print through.
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-18-2016 at 12:38pm
It's all cracked - follows the pattern of the crazing in the gel - you can see them crossing the fibers
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-18-2016 at 12:45pm
Easiest way to tell if they are cracks is to wipe some solvent across the surface
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-18-2016 at 12:47pm
I believe I can see the cracks even on my phone... Try zooming in and using the bifocals Pete!
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-18-2016 at 12:58pm
Originally posted by C-Bass C-Bass wrote:

Ethan,

As far as Pete's recommendation on using VE resin vs. epoxy, I feel unless you can get your working conditions in the upper 70's °F, then stick with epoxy. The VE resin did fine if there was some thickness to the layup, but when laying down real thin layers, it does not want to cure very well, at least in my experience.

Can you use epoxy directly over the old polyester? And can you use a very thin (almost like a cpes ) mixture to really flow into all those tiny cracks before going any further with your cloth and fairing layers?
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-18-2016 at 1:09pm
Originally posted by 81nautique 81nautique wrote:

Can you use epoxy directly over the old polyester? And can you use a very thin (almost like a cpes ) mixture to really flow into all those tiny cracks before going any further with your cloth and fairing layers?

No problem in putting epoxy right over that poly, however I doubt you could really do much good trying to get it into those hairline cracks even at a cpes consistency. The cracks are there, even if you can get some epoxy into them you cant prep the two walls of the crack to be anything that would be solid to epoxy to. Because of the need to then switch to vinyl before the fairing and the gelling I wouldn’t recommend it. Getting some glass fibers in tension over those cracks is the best solution.   
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-18-2016 at 1:09pm
For sure, epoxy sticks to everything. The trick will be converting back to something the gel will stick to (poly doesn't adhere well to epoxy). That would require some type of conversion coat (like vinylester).

The other option would be to stick with vinyl or poly for the whole job so no conversion coat is necessary... But like Craig, I've found that working with vinyl and poly to be much less straightforward than epoxy.

I believe skibum did a cpes layer over the cracked glass before fairing. Cpes followed by the mat joe mentioned would likely be a great way to make sure the cracks don't come back.
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-18-2016 at 1:10pm
Originally posted by 81nautique 81nautique wrote:

Everything I've seen, heard and read says You can use Epoxy over Poly but NOT the other way around. If you are going to gel over a repair you need to use Vinyl-E cause Gel does NOT like Epoxy resin. It'll stick but long term it doesn't work...Like me and Kim's Thinning the resin would work to fill the holes but then then it would run out unless your surface is horizontal... That's where Cab-o-sil comes into play. Still pure resin but thickens it.

"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-18-2016 at 1:12pm
I wooden cabinet with a lightbulb on a thermostat to control your vinyl temp, and some heat lamps on your work surface would improve your vinylester experience. Epoxy is nice but IMHO it is best left for actual structural repairs and anything on the inside of the hull.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-18-2016 at 1:34pm
Thank you gents, learning for the future. I never paid too much attention because I said I will never do another stringer or a re gel job and now I have both.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-18-2016 at 1:42pm
Well, Tim, even using the bottom of my progressive lenses, I still don't see cracks. Strands of glass are obvious but no cracks in them ether. Ethan, wipe some solvent across the area like Joe mentioned and take a picture.

Total Boat has a new reduced viscosity epoxy out. I'd give it a try and then the VE over it. If it didn't look like it penetrated or filled the holes, you could always add the layer of glass in the VE step.

I wouldn't worry about dirt down in the old porous surface. Even if there is any, the resin will flow around it. Think about some of the fillers we use in resin. Talc is dirt!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1234>
  Share Topic