Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

to foam or not to foam

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
extxlonghorn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote extxlonghorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: to foam or not to foam
    Posted: May-04-2006 at 11:56pm
I am the greenest of the green peas! I have been reading and learning an am now at the cross road... I am restoring an 86' nautique, and the floors are now on tap. Here is my dilemma, it seems as though there is about a 50/50 split here as to whether or not to re-foam the floor like factory or just replace and hollow the floor and use plywood. Is the hollow floor not "banging" in waves and will the foam not "refill" with moisture like the original. Which way is best?
coreytread View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coreytread Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-05-2006 at 12:12am
Is your foam saturated, if not dont even worry. Im a newbie myself but am mid way through a resto From what Ive heard redoing the foam is only necessary if it is full of water.otherwise its no problem, Im not doing anything to the foam in my 77 its dry as can be.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote extxlonghorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-05-2006 at 12:18am
it was very wet and very heavy. I took it all out, it probably weighed 3-400 lbs total!
coreytread View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coreytread Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-05-2006 at 12:29am
I would have to say refoam, the guys that are restoring my boat questioned the foam when I first brought it in, after seeing it was dry they opted not to do it, very labor intensive from how they acted. I wouldnt leave it hollow Im sure its there for bouancy "spelling" or structure support. From my knowledge when putting the floor back in you fiberglass almost everything back down anywhere water may get back in must be closed. how to do all this Im sure there is better directions than I can give already posted.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote extxlonghorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-05-2006 at 4:01am
i understand how to do it, either with or without the foam as either method is destinctly different. I guess I am looking to survey as many owners I can here who have done either one to see which seems to be the best.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote extxlonghorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-05-2006 at 4:02am
so.... those who are viewing this post, chime in please. To re-foam or not to re-foam, that is the question. Tis' noble'r ...
ccskier16 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccskier16 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-05-2006 at 7:18am
Put new foam in. It needs to be there.
79skinautique View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79skinautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-05-2006 at 7:55am
When I did my 79 I was having the same problem that you are. Then I talked with a few guys that do this for a living and they said you wouldn't believe how loud the boat is inside without the foam, its stops vibration as well as the crashing wake sounds. If you seal the boat up well enough you don't have to worry about the foam getting wet again. I also talked with U.S. composites which is where I picked up the foam and they said this new foam is alot more water resistant than the old stuff.
Good Luck
Aaron

David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-05-2006 at 10:20am
I am on the re-foam side of the aisle. I believe the foam has three usefull purposes:

1) Sound deadening.
2) Structural support against the hull oil canning.
3) Floatation in the event of mishap.

If you are going to put plywood over the foam, then use the low density stuff (recommended by me). If you are going to fiberglass directly over the foam, then use high density foam (not recommended by me as this method requires a great deal of fiberglass matt/cloth and resin).

If you go the foam route, do NOT try and place plywood or plastic over the foam as it expands, let it expand freely. If you try to keep it from expanding, it gets very dense and thus hard to shape, can bulge the bottom of the boat out and looses its bouyancy. The best method of trimming flat is to use grinders and long sanding blocks. Avoid the use of a saw as you will surely cut in a low spot.
Atmspltr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atmspltr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-05-2006 at 5:53pm
Definetly foam...2 lb density if you plan to use plywood over the foam. I set the plywood and foamed underneath and allowed to foam to expand the the deck, then glassed in the topside. Check out US Composites...best price going. Work in small batches.
64 Skier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 64 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-06-2006 at 1:43am
OK, I'll be the contrarian. My '64 did not have foam from the Factory. It has plywood floors with CC markings so I can assume it's "Original".

The '72 was water logged underneath the 3/4" plywood which was also soaked and was "heavy" to say the least. I removed every bit of it and laid down plywood with no foam.

The '72 is no louder now than before.

I think the vibration others feel/hear is due to the way you align the shaft but won't get into this here since we had a lengthy post on that a while back.
64 Skier
66" HO VTX and 67" HO Triumph
71CC
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-06-2006 at 2:27pm
What I was thinking of doing was a custom interior on the 81 hull I just got and making front and rear stands for the seats that I could hinge and use for storage and coolers, and do some trick things with the fiberglass for speakers and storage alone the sides and utilize some of the space below the deck to make the area's larger and doing a sandwich layup of the floors and seat bases, Kinda new meets old. I wasn't going to use the foam but maybe in some area's.
91nautique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 91nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-06-2006 at 7:21pm

Mine was saturated(wood and foam)and we opted not to refoam,it started out as a quik repair job and we eventially took the entire floor out ,front to back.What we found was poor quality glassing (from the factory)that was allowing moisture to sneak in from numerous unaccasable places.Something you may want to consider if you tear it all out, is the area forward of the skipole,it is a large void of wasted space that allowes water to slosh around,we rerouted cabling vents ect and now use the area for the battery comp,storage of tools,and an icebox that is accsesable from the drivers/observers seat.
Also we installed drain plugs for each side(thru the transome)access plates into the deck for inspection and vents to allow for expansion/contraction.

I was working alongside a qualified boat builder and the turnaround time from start to finish of the deck area alone was 12 solid days of nasty dirty work for both of us.The boat is no noisier as when it was full of waterlogged foam.
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-06-2006 at 8:26pm
Well Jbear what do you thing about this?

If your exhust is too loud and your concidering mufflers for the boat,

Then you need to buy a case of cold pop (aka BEER) and have someone tune that bad boy up so it puurrrs riding the glass,

or turn your hearing aid down and shut the hell up so the rest of us can hear it.
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-07-2006 at 8:10pm
There are millions of boats out there without foam they are not unusably noisy. The hull in a correct craft is thick enough that it is not going to oil can without the foam, and all foam even the new stuff if exposed to water long enough will pick up some of the water.   
I am not against anyone adding foam if they want it for safety or a little more solid sound as they go accross the water, but it can be done without it. I am not using it on my rebuild, or any wood either...
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-07-2006 at 9:15pm
79: A boat to loud is like a girl to pretty or Beer to cold or a car to fast. It just ain't possible!!!

Always keep the hearing aid on the lowest setting anyhow. Keeps it cool and quiet around me at all times! Those kids on the school bus get kinda loud.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
stang72 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stang72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-11-2006 at 10:09am
I recently finished foaming on the 72 SN and did so for these reasons.
1. I already have the boat ready (stingers open with no floor)and might as well do it.
2. If I ever hit something in the water that puts a hole in the hull...it will not sink!
3. insullation for sound...more solid feeling.

My 2 cents worth...why not?
stang

Face plants are not that funny when it's you face!

The Super Air

JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-11-2006 at 11:52am
Why
Safety
Sound change
Can be used for structure under fiberglass only floor

Why not
Cost
Time & Labor
Chance of future waterlogging/rot issues

Choice depends on which combination of factors is most important to you
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
G Stonicher View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote G Stonicher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-11-2006 at 2:02pm
I had the floor in my 20 ft Southwind totally taken out as it was soft in several places, and the foam was full of water. They did not put the foam back in, just used solid wood instead of plywood(like it was originally) for the floor stringers.   It feels very solid and I don't hear any waves crashing on the hull. The boat is very quite.The guy that did mine put drain holes from each compartment so any water could drain to the center of the bilge. It stays dry everywhere.
20' Southwind

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote extxlonghorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-13-2006 at 1:09pm
how many total cubic feet do you suppose i need to account for, should i re-foam.
stang72 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stang72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-13-2006 at 1:52pm
If you have removed ALL foam..three 8 cubic ft foot kits...you won't use it all , 16 cf may not be enough...I barely got by with 16 cf , but I had to stuff some pool noodles under the bow area and faomed over them .
so...three kits or two plus noodles!
stang

The Super Air

scott8370 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scott8370 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-13-2006 at 3:27pm
How much would it cost to refoam a boat using only noodles?
Scott
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-13-2006 at 5:17pm
Stangs at it again, first it was frog butt shaft seals now pool noodles. The mans a creative genius.
stang72 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stang72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-14-2006 at 1:20pm
Well...I did steal the noodles idea from another member...I am going to stuff a bunch of them under the floor of the 62...it never had foam and never had stringer probs...it drys out becuase it's open. So...with the pool noodles it still sould dry out and I have floatation!
Scott...walmart has them for a buck and a half...so $30-$40...oh yeah..and they work great for shipping packing!
stang

The Super Air

stang72 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stang72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-14-2006 at 1:23pm
I could'nt resist....but

Pool noodles...."what ever floats your boat"

Pun intended.....
stang

The Super Air

scott8370 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scott8370 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-14-2006 at 1:31pm
Of course I was kidding before..But now, I'm thinking..they could float a boat,and still have some air space around and through them.
You are a genius!
Scott
G Stonicher View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote G Stonicher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-15-2006 at 9:24am
When the floor in my 20ft Southwind was redone last year with out foam,we did put noodles in the two compartments beside the engine. This was for flotation if needed.
20' Southwind
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-15-2006 at 9:35am
And its not a bad place to store those noodles anyway... now you buggers are going to have me calculating how many noodles it takes to float a mustang...
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
scott8370 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scott8370 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-15-2006 at 8:56pm
I keep laughing....But I'm sure alot of noodles would float a boat. The word " Noddle" used by a bunch of grown men is just funny to me
Scott
Bob's2001 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob's2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-16-2006 at 12:07am
Grown does not mean grown up.
Bob Ed
83 2001
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic