NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

New guy, Newish Boat

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1234 8>
Author
Treybizttu View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Treybizttu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-08-2014 at 2:14pm
Originally posted by Dreaming Dreaming wrote:

atf to acetone (50/50) or Marvel mystery oil are both good choices.   when you use the starter the first time, make sure you cover EVERYTHING, as the oil is sprayed out through the spark plug holes. (yes, I know from experience, and had to clean the carpet afterwards)

fogging oil is not going to give the penetrating action you need to unseat the stuck rings.

Made that mistake with a jet ski in my garage..... ONCE

I've got some painters plastic and green tape im going to make the interior look like a scene from Dexter before I start in on anything further motor related.
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-08-2014 at 3:48pm
One thing, as far as putting a lot or torque on the crank bolt...

I made that suggestion a while back in another thread, I'll see if I can find it.

Anyway, I was told that's not the best way to break free a stuck engine. The logic being, that if you break that bolt, then you've got some problems on your hands.

I'll see if I can find the thread because it had some better suggestions, but in the mean time, just go about it carefully.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-08-2014 at 4:12pm
Indeed, Brian. Pry bar on the flywheel is much preferred. Crank bolt works fine for an engine that isn't locked up.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Treybizttu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-08-2014 at 5:08pm
Ah ha... Last thing I want to do is make this thing worse and the leverage on a single bolt makes sense.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Treybizttu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-10-2014 at 1:34am
Stuck a battery in it tonight and the starting key pad lit up. Put in my code a few times and was rewarded with a steadyy green light. Bildge light came on when pressed as well. None of the motor wiring is hooked up so I couldn't try the start obviously. The horn worked a couple times but then just clicked. Part of that could be attributed to the battery just being one random one I had from who knows what that had not been moved in the warehouse for a few years. I stuck it on the charger for a few hours but I don't know how good it actually was..

Also finally crawled back under since I didn't Remember seeing a paddle wheel for the updated speedo but sure enough there is one about mid way down the keel dead center. It's behind the plug and the farthest forward water intlet. It's in front of the back water inlet but offset from it somewhat.

Haven't had much time this week to tinker but I should be able to spend a good amount of Sunday messing with it after chasing Bambi with stick and string this weekend.

Wooowooo for little bits of progress and figuring out what everything does on this pile. :)
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Treybizttu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-13-2014 at 12:27pm
Pulled the battery out of my tahoe in stuck it in the boat.

Horn Works, Got Two Green Lights on the key pad, Bilge light on the key pad lights up but the bilge doesn't run. Still nothing on the accessory pad. Is there somewhen that can test those?

Annnnnnd...

2 of the pistons have some gouges in them. And the rear most port side piston picture is beat to a pulp. So two starboard side pistons with dings and then the port side pictured. Cylinder wall might be salvageable. The head is also beat to crap and one of the valve seats is out and wedged against the valve itself. (I didn't get a picture).

I'll pull in the next week or two and take it to a machine shop to see if the block can be salvaged.

At least I had good help.
IAughtNaut View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IAughtNaut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-13-2014 at 12:52pm
Originally posted by Treybizttu Treybizttu wrote:

Also finally crawled back under since I didn't Remember seeing a paddle wheel for the updated speedo but sure enough there is one about mid way down the keel dead center. It's behind the plug and the farthest forward water intlet. It's in front of the back water inlet but offset from it somewhat.
would be curious to see a picture, if its offset you shouldn't have an issue with prohibiting water to the intake, but if its on the center of the keel I would assume they had to grind it down to fit the flat housing and that might have left it recessed behind the ridge of the keel. I wonder if that would cause a bubble and make your speedos read funny.
bring the ruckus
2000 Pro Air
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Treybizttu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-13-2014 at 1:00pm
Originally posted by IAughtNaut IAughtNaut wrote:

Originally posted by Treybizttu Treybizttu wrote:

would be curious to see a picture, if its offset you shouldn't have an issue with prohibiting water to the intake, but if its on the center of the keel I would assume they had to grind it down to fit the flat housing and that might have left it recessed behind the ridge of the keel. I wonder if that would cause a bubble and make your speedos read funny.

I'll snap a picture one the driveway dries out from the rain... Hoooray rain.
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-13-2014 at 1:14pm
That dropped valve seat screams overheat so make sure you check the cooling system before running the new motor. Also how do the spark plugs look, are the electrodes disintigrated or intact? Another cause of extreme damaging heat is low fuel pressure and the FCC being missing points to a problem there. High rpms (full throttle) and low fuel pressure can melt a GT40 pretty quickly.

Sounds like you probably won't reuse the heads but just for forensic measures put a straight edge across the valve stems(rocker end) and see if they are all the same height. Extreme heat will get those valves so hot they will Tulip into the head, you'll think the valves are all different lengths.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Treybizttu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-13-2014 at 1:41pm
Originally posted by 81nautique 81nautique wrote:

That dropped valve seat screams overheat so make sure you check the cooling system before running the new motor. Also how do the spark plugs look, are the electrodes disintigrated or intact? Another cause of extreme damaging heat is low fuel pressure and the FCC being missing points to a problem there. High rpms (full throttle) and low fuel pressure can melt a GT40 pretty quickly.

Sounds like you probably won't reuse the heads but just for forensic measures put a straight edge across the valve stems(rocker end) and see if they are all the same height. Extreme heat will get those valves so hot they will Tulip into the head, you'll think the valves are all different lengths.

Well, the spark plugs were MIA so I can't check those sadly. As far as the cooling system I'm going to replace pretty much everything as I don't want to put together a motor and skimp on keeping it cool. From the way this boat appears i would guess it has a ton of hours. The gauge decided to work last night and showed 536 hours but, they were replaced at some point. So, pretty much anything that could be considered a wear item will be replaced.   As far as the heads I'd like to reuse them if possible but rebuilt. I need to get them to a machine shop to see if they are salvageable.
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-13-2014 at 2:59pm
Just a heads up, Your machine shop is probably well aware of this but overheated small block Ford heads are known to crack between the valves. Might be hard to see in this photo but it's there.

Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Treybizttu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-13-2014 at 4:36pm
Originally posted by 81nautique 81nautique wrote:

Just a heads up, Your machine shop is probably well aware of this but overheated small block Ford heads are known to crack between the valves. Might be hard to see in this photo but it's there.

I'm sure they are but won't hurt to mention. I hope the heads and block can be re-used.

Dreaming View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dreaming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-13-2014 at 6:12pm
I am not sure it is cost effective to have your heads rebuilt anyway... you might check the cost of a set from Clearwater or one of the other Cyl head folks.   lots of folks here have talked about GT40P heads, I am not sure if the fit works with a later model GT40 boat, but would be worth checking.   My guess is that the setup time for someone who does these heads all the time is going to bring the cost down over your local machine shop.

good luck!

also - as a forum etiquette thing, especially with pictures, you don't need to quote the last post, as it takes up server space. it's helpful when you have multiple posts between what you are responding to and your response, but otherwise it's not necessary, just call out the screen name/name of the person your responding to and we'll generally follow the trail
Dreaming View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dreaming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-13-2014 at 6:14pm
PS,   I love that your son is into the fixing :)    mine has about a 15 min attention span for mechanical things... I keep trying, but so far, it's a long process
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Treybizttu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-13-2014 at 6:25pm
I think I cleaned up the quoted picture...

I'm glad the boy is into it as well. His mom is coming around too now that it looks a little nicer.

Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Treybizttu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-14-2014 at 11:26am

After searching and unless I'm missing something if this head is salvageable I would certainly save $$$ rebuilding these verse buying a reconditioned set from somewhere. I found a post on here that has a few different vendors for the "p" heads that run around 500-600 for a set plus shipping.

Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Treybizttu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-16-2014 at 6:22pm
Heads are both cracked. They haven't cleaned and broken down the block yet.

Looks like long block ahoy.
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-16-2014 at 6:30pm
A long block with GT40 or GT40p heads gets to be pricey typically so it might be cheaper to get your block fixed up and put a set of gt40ps on it or get a small block and put a set of gt40ps on it. Don't pay the money for gt40s new or rebuilt as they are no better than the 40ps and are more expensive, don't buy a stock long block unless you are really tight on the budget you will miss the 45 ish hp on that new of a boat and it will effect resale if you cant get it to one foot speeds
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Treybizttu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-16-2014 at 6:52pm
Originally posted by JoeinNY JoeinNY wrote:

[/QUOTE

Machine shop I am using has another set of GT40s that are ready to go with new springs and what not. He and I looked at them before as an option if mine were bad. I would be fine with the "P"s if I need to go that route for some reason. I will for sure end up with one version or the other of the GT Heads... Not going back with an E7 or whatever came as the "base" head.

Hopefully the block comes back good to save me a little coin.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-16-2014 at 6:59pm
Joe, your thoughts this. Say you needed another block for a lefty, would it be worth while to source s late model 351 out of a truck so to take advantage of the roller block?
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Treybizttu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-16-2014 at 7:22pm
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

Curious myself since you linked that ad to my wanted post.

My understanding and please correct me if I'm wrong but, my block is/was machined to accept a roller cam but they didn't go to an actual roller motor (ford trucks anyway) until 1996 and my motor is basically a 93-95 truck block with gt40 Upper/Lower Intake and Heads.

I think I've read so much on the subject in the last few weeks I'm way more confused than when I started
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-16-2014 at 7:40pm
If the block # above starter is F47TE it will accept roller lifters.
backfoot100 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backfoot100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-17-2014 at 10:53am
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

Joe, your thoughts this. Say you needed another block for a lefty, would it be worth while to source s late model 351 out of a truck so to take advantage of the roller block?

Gary,
You still have to acquire the roller lifters, the spider tray and probably new push rods as well as the roller cam. Then if you really wanted to go all out you can upgrade to roller rockers as well.
Still an awful expensive upgrade. IMHO you're still going to get more bang for your buck adding P heads, an intake and a cam than you ever will with roller lifters. At least in our somewhat mild marine applications or until someone like Joe or Tim gets to making more serious HP. That's when a roller valve train can start making a difference.

All SBC motors made after 87 were milled with deeper lifter bores and drilled/tapped for the spider tray to accept roller lifters. Even if the engine didn't come equipped with roller hardware. How many guys you think took advantage of that and upgraded? I'm guessing very few.
Sourcing a block made for roller hardware "just in case I decide to upgrade" I wouldn't consider a factor unless you're going to upgrade. You either make the jump or you don't. At least in my feeble minded personal opinion.
When people run down to the lake to see what's making that noise, you've succeeded.

Eddie
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-17-2014 at 11:22am
First off, I'd be very careful about changing too much on the induction side (heads, cam) on a gt40 as the ECM is not capable of making tune variation based on different (better performing) components. P heads are a proven deg upgrade over gt40 heads but i probably wouldn't push it much beyond that in terms of flow or cr improvements.

That said, I am now with joe on the roller cam bandwagon- they're awesome. They improve both peak power and widen the powerband, and improve reliability (no chance of wiping a lobe). Tune issues as denoted above notwithstanding, the only downside is cost, which is primarily a concern on RH engines as the blanks are custom. LH roller stuff is readily available and relatively inexpensive. You can always run tie bar lifters in a non-roller block and skip the retainer entirely- this is a nice, albeit expensive ($400-500) upgrade. Or you can have a non roller block machined to accept the retainer. Either way, I'd go roller on anything I wanted to improve performance on if it can be squeezed into the budget. HIGHLY recommended, even for moderate builds. Roller rockers would be much lower down on my list of wants and are much easier to add later. Of course, this is coming from a guy who has wiped a flat tappet cam and has seen the performance difference a roller delivers. FWIW.

Eddie, is your 383 roller? I can't remember.
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-17-2014 at 11:35am
I found a stock '95 block with roller cam and lifters for my stroker project.
They're out there but hard to come by. I went all new cam, lifters, rods etc. of course. I just wanted the roller set up block, spider tray and and lifter forks.
skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-17-2014 at 11:57am
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

First off, I'd be very careful about changing too much on the induction side (heads, cam) on a gt40 as the ECM is not capable of making tune variation based on different (better performing) components.

Tim, just curious, but are their any third party companies that make some sort of ECM that could be used that is re-programmable or let you set up a custom map. Undoubtedly the effort to build up the map for a marine application from scratch would be monumental, the obvious preference would be to start with a known good map from PCM and modify from there. Again, realizing I could get off my butt and do the research myself, but I just wondered if anybody has ever looked into it.

It's interesting, for mod-ing out my snowmobile, There are a couple of devices that go between the ECM and fuel injectors, that let you modify the map to fine tune your performance. We do all the same things on that side, bigger intake, bigger pistons, higher compression heads, better flowing exhaust. Obviously with every modification, you need to adjust the fuel map. The same technology exists for outboards. Just seems like there would be similar products/solutions for auto/marine application
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-17-2014 at 12:00pm
Look up Megasquirt Steve. If I remember right lewey is building one
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-17-2014 at 12:20pm
The reason I ask about a roller engine is simple. Someday my Shamrock will need a re power. Late model 302's should still be a dime a dozen and even 351 rollers were used in trucks. Why bother finding and using a flat tappet motor might as well up grade. They use a lefty which makes it easy too. Might just start looking soon.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-17-2014 at 12:20pm
Yep, plenty of options to set up a custom tune- mega squirt being one of them. Like you said, the tricky part is getting the base tune to start from, PCM has it locked down.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-17-2014 at 12:22pm
That guy that built his own EFI 351s for his Bayliner here used megasquirt. Apparently the PCM stuff is all locked up. You can't even see the programming let alone modify it. jbear and Orlando76 will take it from here.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1234 8>
  Share Topic