Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Paragon Replica

Post Reply Post Reply Page   123>
Author
ParagonFan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ParagonFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Paragon Replica
    Posted: July-10-2014 at 6:11pm
My father, uncle, and I love the look of the early 90's Paragons. Four to five years ago we began looking for one but there were only a couple that came up for sale during that time and they wanted around $40,000 for each. We didn't want to pay that so we decided to build our own.

We started out with a 1996 closed bow Nautique with the GT-40 engine that we bought in 2011 and began the conversion process in 2012. We completed the project here in July of 2014 and I thought I would post some pictures of how it came out, explain what we did, and answer any questions someone might have if they wanted to tackle this, or any part of what we did, themselves. Overall we are very happy with how it came out and hope this may be an inspiration for someone else to try the same thing. Our boat is by no means an exact replica - we changed some things to look how we wanted and it doesn't have any actual Paragon badging, but feel it came out looking very Paragon-like.

One of my other reasons for wanting to put some information out on this site is when my dad and I first began researching the Paragon, there wasn't much information out there on these boats. We spent quite a bit of time scoring the internet for pictures and information to gather ideas on how to attempt to replicate the look. Hopefully these pictures and information help somebody someday if you try to do the same thing or something similar.          

There is so much to talk about on this project I'm not quite sure where to start. I'll post a few pictures here to start and when time allows over the coming weeks try to explain in a little more detail what we did. For today I'll start out with a few before and after pictures, and in the weeks ahead I will try to take and post some better pictures.

Steve

Before...

1996 Ski Nautique Closed Bow
5.8 GT-40 EFI
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-10-2014 at 6:28pm
You picked a good one to convert, purple and teal! Looks great.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ParagonFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-10-2014 at 6:35pm
Agreed! We bought it not caring about the colors. We knew we were going to change everything. It had the GT-40 and only 230hrs so it was a good platform to start from.
5.8 GT-40 EFI
DayTony View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DayTony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-10-2014 at 6:39pm
that is awesome, I am not familiar enough with the paragon but I like it. good job with the finishes as far as I can see. I guess my questions would be what materials you used. its a great job.
It looks like teak on the floor. but what is the trunk and rails done in?
To me at first glance it looks as though you have put an older twist on the finish of a newer boat, when usually older boats are scooped up cheap and done over to look newer.
It looks fresh off the lot to me.
good job and if there is a link to more pictures of the build process somewhere please share!
-Tony
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-10-2014 at 6:44pm
Good job dudes!! Paragon is one of the best looking boats ever produced IMHO.
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-10-2014 at 6:59pm
That's pretty neat.

BKH
Livin' the Dream

IAughtNaut View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IAughtNaut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-10-2014 at 7:07pm
wow, quite a project...ok, I'll bite, without going into all the details, what did you do? Paint the bottom, overlay mahogany (?) on the deck, rip out and replace the interior? Is that seadeck in the floor? I assume if all you did was paint or re-gel the hull, and didn't change the power plant that the performance is the same (+ or - based on additional weight of wood materials)?
bring the ruckus
2000 Pro Air

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ParagonFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-10-2014 at 7:17pm
Thanks guys! I'll get with my dad and try to put together a list of some of the materials that we used, but off of the top of my head the hunter green and red gelcoat are both Cobalt gelcoat colors offered on a mid-2000's model Cobalt boat. (I forgot to mention we got the assistance of a firend who is a former Cobalt guy to sand off the old gelcoat and spray on the new, along with lots of time spent buffing. We considered painting the boat but thought this would have better integrity and scratch resistance.) The wood on nose, sides, and transom is mahogany. The "wood" on the floor is actually NuTeak which is kind of a rubberized fake wood. It's pretty neat stuff and feels like real wood when you run your hand over it but has a little more of a rubbery feel when you walk on it. Since our family will be in and out of it with wet swimsuits a lot we thought NuTeak would give the teak wood floor look without the maintenance.

I took a bunch of pictures but haven't uploaded them to any websites at this time. I might at a later date try to do that.

We use the boat in northern Wisconsin so the style of this boat really fits the northern lakes look. We've only had it out once on a midwest lake since we finished it up a couple weeks ago but it's really attracted a lot of attention. More than I think we were expecting as a lake patrol guy even came over to talk with us about it.    
5.8 GT-40 EFI
fanofccfan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fanofccfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-10-2014 at 7:28pm
Very nice work indeed.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ParagonFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-10-2014 at 7:32pm
IAughtNaut - We didn't do the gelcoat work or upholstery. We had assistance with both of those but did do the wood work and NuTeak flooring. Taking the whole boat down to a bare hull (other than we left the engine and transmission in it) was a big enough project for us. Definitely the largest portion we did was the wood work. My dad and uncle put the most hours in on that but it was around 100hrs. I think the whole project took about 300 man hours to complete inclusive of the gelcoat work and upholstery being redone. Of that we personally probably did around 150hrs of that work if I had to guess.

Yeah, no changes to the performance. The wood on the nose might add a little weight but I don't think it's enough to really effect the performance much. The only thing we added were dual exhaust tips but right now the one on the starboard side is just there for looks. Inside the boat it's blocked off. We've talked about potentially putting a bigger engine in later and might use the second tip/outlet then but for now only one tip is functional. Either way I think it gives a more symmetrical look.     
5.8 GT-40 EFI
DayTony View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DayTony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-10-2014 at 7:32pm
Its amazing that simply finishing this with wood gives this boat a whole new outlook and style.
something about green on green interior that i've always liked, A friend's 66 vette is finished with same colors, It is very sharp, much better in person than what you would picture if someone said they have a green car with green interior.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ParagonFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-10-2014 at 7:41pm
Definitely! I think the women in our family were most shocked that it looked nice when we got done. (not typical of our projects) Especially when we were telling them we were going to gelcoat the boat hunter green with a red boot stripe. Two colors that don't sound like they should go together.
5.8 GT-40 EFI
peter1234 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-10-2014 at 8:31pm
looks like you took an avg run of the mill boat and made it something anyone would dream to own. there are so many "i did it my way" hacks that just look awkward . I love it
former skylark owner now a formula but I cant let this place go
AAM196 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AAM196 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-10-2014 at 8:31pm
Nice looking boat. I never cared for the windshield on the paragons.. you got the stock 96 on yours.. very nice. Time to hit us with the water pics!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ParagonFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-10-2014 at 8:53pm
Thanks guys. At the end of the month we will have it back in the water and will post some water pictures then.

Yeah the rounded windshield on the 96' we decided to leave alone. We weren't sure if it was going to look right not being wood but my dad and I both think it ended up looking fine.    
5.8 GT-40 EFI
JPASS View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPASS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-10-2014 at 9:12pm
Boat looks awesome. Definitely a one of a kind boat that will certainly garner some looks when you take it out. And you did it with your pops. An awesome way to bond and build memories.

I was hoping the second exhaust tip was real (in that it was plumbed to the motor), but it does look awesome. Always good to think ahead during a project in case you do drop a monster motor in it or convert to dual exhaust in the future.

Keep the pics coming.

'92 Correctcraft Ski Nautique
Smithfamily View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smithfamily Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-10-2014 at 10:39pm
Wow! She looks great! Ditto on the more picture request!
Js
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-10-2014 at 11:43pm
I've been wondering when someone was going to do this.   Looks like some fine work and agree I like the stock windshield.   Great job, is it a coincidence you posted this while Pete is up north with No Internet.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-11-2014 at 12:41am
I was thinking about Pete's reaction also but after all the original was an outside conversion too. And it's not like it's the last 96 in existence. I like the windshield too. Well done!
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
KRoundy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KRoundy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-11-2014 at 3:53am
Wow. That is amazing. Well done.
Previous: 1993 Electric Blue/Charcoal Ski Nautique
Current: 2016 Ski Nautique 200 Open Bow
dwouncmd View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dwouncmd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-11-2014 at 9:58am
Very nice indeed.
89 SN
<a href="http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=6567&sort=&pagenum=1" rel="nofollow">7
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-11-2014 at 10:43am
That really looks great. If you are interested in replicating the Stickers I have a some originals, probably too old to use now but could be used as a template.

Sold my Paragon a few years ago, the only Red one ever built.

backfoot100 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backfoot100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-11-2014 at 10:45am
Very cool indeed. Looks awesome. I'll be very interested to follow along and see how everything was done.
When people run down to the lake to see what's making that noise, you've succeeded.

Eddie
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-11-2014 at 11:03am
Couple more pics for comparison:

JPASS View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPASS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-11-2014 at 11:12am
Damn Quinner that thing was immaculate.
'92 Correctcraft Ski Nautique
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-11-2014 at 11:23am
I'd disconnect my Mazda pickup while taking pictures too-
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
HatterBee View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HatterBee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-11-2014 at 12:10pm
WOW, That looks amazing. Would love to see some pics of it in the water!!
1977 Ski Nautique
Under Re-construction

My Rebuild Thread

63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-11-2014 at 12:12pm
Steve, the boat is gorgeous, really nice work on that project. Had to be fun for you and your dad to put all that work in together.

When you get it out again, please put up some on-water pics, would love to see it floating on glassy calm, and at speed.
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-11-2014 at 12:14pm
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

Was just about to say the same thing, you beat me to it. I think the tow vehicle was actually slower than the boat it was towing.
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
Frankenotter View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frankenotter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-11-2014 at 12:34pm
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

Lmao. Quinner, why did you ever get rid of that thing. It was beautiful.
1999 Ski Nautique 196
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   123>
  Share Topic