Forum Name: General Discussion
Forum Discription: Anything Correct Craft
URL: http://www.CorrectCraftFan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=34103
Printed Date: May-04-2024 at 5:35pm

Topic: Paragon Replica
Posted By: ParagonFan
Subject: Paragon Replica
Date Posted: July-10-2014 at 6:11pm
My father, uncle, and I love the look of the early 90's Paragons. Four to five years ago we began looking for one but there were only a couple that came up for sale during that time and they wanted around $40,000 for each. We didn't want to pay that so we decided to build our own.

We started out with a 1996 closed bow Nautique with the GT-40 engine that we bought in 2011 and began the conversion process in 2012. We completed the project here in July of 2014 and I thought I would post some pictures of how it came out, explain what we did, and answer any questions someone might have if they wanted to tackle this, or any part of what we did, themselves. Overall we are very happy with how it came out and hope this may be an inspiration for someone else to try the same thing. Our boat is by no means an exact replica - we changed some things to look how we wanted and it doesn't have any actual Paragon badging, but feel it came out looking very Paragon-like.

One of my other reasons for wanting to put some information out on this site is when my dad and I first began researching the Paragon, there wasn't much information out there on these boats. We spent quite a bit of time scoring the internet for pictures and information to gather ideas on how to attempt to replicate the look. Hopefully these pictures and information help somebody someday if you try to do the same thing or something similar.          

There is so much to talk about on this project I'm not quite sure where to start. I'll post a few pictures here to start and when time allows over the coming weeks try to explain in a little more detail what we did. For today I'll start out with a few before and after pictures, and in the weeks ahead I will try to take and post some better pictures.

Steve

Before...

-------------
1996 Ski Nautique Closed Bow
5.8 GT-40 EFI

Replies:
Posted By: Hollywood
Date Posted: July-10-2014 at 6:28pm
You picked a good one to convert, purple and teal! Looks great.

-------------

Date Posted: July-10-2014 at 6:35pm
Agreed! We bought it not caring about the colors. We knew we were going to change everything. It had the GT-40 and only 230hrs so it was a good platform to start from.

-------------
5.8 GT-40 EFI

Posted By: DayTony
Date Posted: July-10-2014 at 6:39pm
that is awesome, I am not familiar enough with the paragon but I like it. good job with the finishes as far as I can see. I guess my questions would be what materials you used. its a great job.
It looks like teak on the floor. but what is the trunk and rails done in?
To me at first glance it looks as though you have put an older twist on the finish of a newer boat, when usually older boats are scooped up cheap and done over to look newer.
It looks fresh off the lot to me.
good job and if there is a link to more pictures of the build process somewhere please share!
-Tony

Posted By: phatsat67
Date Posted: July-10-2014 at 6:44pm
Good job dudes!! Paragon is one of the best looking boats ever produced IMHO.

-------------

Posted By: bkhallpass
Date Posted: July-10-2014 at 6:59pm
That's pretty neat.

BKH

-------------
Livin' the Dream

Posted By: IAughtNaut
Date Posted: July-10-2014 at 7:07pm
wow, quite a project...ok, I'll bite, without going into all the details, what did you do? Paint the bottom, overlay mahogany (?) on the deck, rip out and replace the interior? Is that seadeck in the floor? I assume if all you did was paint or re-gel the hull, and didn't change the power plant that the performance is the same (+ or - based on additional weight of wood materials)?

-------------
bring the ruckus
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5347" rel="nofollow - 2000 Pro Air

Date Posted: July-10-2014 at 7:17pm
Thanks guys! I'll get with my dad and try to put together a list of some of the materials that we used, but off of the top of my head the hunter green and red gelcoat are both Cobalt gelcoat colors offered on a mid-2000's model Cobalt boat. (I forgot to mention we got the assistance of a firend who is a former Cobalt guy to sand off the old gelcoat and spray on the new, along with lots of time spent buffing. We considered painting the boat but thought this would have better integrity and scratch resistance.) The wood on nose, sides, and transom is mahogany. The "wood" on the floor is actually NuTeak which is kind of a rubberized fake wood. It's pretty neat stuff and feels like real wood when you run your hand over it but has a little more of a rubbery feel when you walk on it. Since our family will be in and out of it with wet swimsuits a lot we thought NuTeak would give the teak wood floor look without the maintenance.

I took a bunch of pictures but haven't uploaded them to any websites at this time. I might at a later date try to do that.

We use the boat in northern Wisconsin so the style of this boat really fits the northern lakes look. We've only had it out once on a midwest lake since we finished it up a couple weeks ago but it's really attracted a lot of attention. More than I think we were expecting as a lake patrol guy even came over to talk with us about it.    

-------------
5.8 GT-40 EFI

Posted By: fanofccfan
Date Posted: July-10-2014 at 7:28pm
Very nice work indeed.

Date Posted: July-10-2014 at 7:32pm
IAughtNaut - We didn't do the gelcoat work or upholstery. We had assistance with both of those but did do the wood work and NuTeak flooring. Taking the whole boat down to a bare hull (other than we left the engine and transmission in it) was a big enough project for us. Definitely the largest portion we did was the wood work. My dad and uncle put the most hours in on that but it was around 100hrs. I think the whole project took about 300 man hours to complete inclusive of the gelcoat work and upholstery being redone. Of that we personally probably did around 150hrs of that work if I had to guess.

Yeah, no changes to the performance. The wood on the nose might add a little weight but I don't think it's enough to really effect the performance much. The only thing we added were dual exhaust tips but right now the one on the starboard side is just there for looks. Inside the boat it's blocked off. We've talked about potentially putting a bigger engine in later and might use the second tip/outlet then but for now only one tip is functional. Either way I think it gives a more symmetrical look.     

-------------
5.8 GT-40 EFI

Posted By: DayTony
Date Posted: July-10-2014 at 7:32pm
Its amazing that simply finishing this with wood gives this boat a whole new outlook and style.
something about green on green interior that i've always liked, A friend's 66 vette is finished with same colors, It is very sharp, much better in person than what you would picture if someone said they have a green car with green interior.

Date Posted: July-10-2014 at 7:41pm
Definitely! I think the women in our family were most shocked that it looked nice when we got done. (not typical of our projects) Especially when we were telling them we were going to gelcoat the boat hunter green with a red boot stripe. Two colors that don't sound like they should go together.

-------------
5.8 GT-40 EFI

Posted By: peter1234
Date Posted: July-10-2014 at 8:31pm
looks like you took an avg run of the mill boat and made it something anyone would dream to own. there are so many "i did it my way" hacks that just look awkward . I love it

-------------
former skylark owner now a formula but I cant let this place go

Posted By: AAM196
Date Posted: July-10-2014 at 8:31pm
Nice looking boat. I never cared for the windshield on the paragons.. you got the stock 96 on yours.. very nice. Time to hit us with the water pics!

Date Posted: July-10-2014 at 8:53pm
Thanks guys. At the end of the month we will have it back in the water and will post some water pictures then.

Yeah the rounded windshield on the 96' we decided to leave alone. We weren't sure if it was going to look right not being wood but my dad and I both think it ended up looking fine.    

-------------
5.8 GT-40 EFI

Posted By: JPASS
Date Posted: July-10-2014 at 9:12pm
Boat looks awesome. Definitely a one of a kind boat that will certainly garner some looks when you take it out. And you did it with your pops. An awesome way to bond and build memories.

I was hoping the second exhaust tip was real (in that it was plumbed to the motor), but it does look awesome. Always good to think ahead during a project in case you do drop a monster motor in it or convert to dual exhaust in the future.

Keep the pics coming.

-------------
'92 Correctcraft Ski Nautique

Posted By: Smithfamily
Date Posted: July-10-2014 at 10:39pm
Wow! She looks great! Ditto on the more picture request!

-------------
Js

Posted By: 81nautique
Date Posted: July-10-2014 at 11:43pm
I've been wondering when someone was going to do this.   Looks like some fine work and agree I like the stock windshield.   Great job, is it a coincidence you posted this while Pete is up north with No Internet.

-------------

Posted By: Gary S
Date Posted: July-11-2014 at 12:41am
I was thinking about Pete's reaction also but after all the original was an outside conversion too. And it's not like it's the last 96 in existence. I like the windshield too. Well done!

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=1711&sort=&pagenum=1&yrstart=1966&yrend=1970" rel="nofollow - 69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport

Posted By: KRoundy
Date Posted: July-11-2014 at 3:53am
Wow. That is amazing. Well done.

-------------
Previous: 1993 Electric Blue/Charcoal Ski Nautique
Current: 2016 Ski Nautique 200 Open Bow

Posted By: dwouncmd
Date Posted: July-11-2014 at 9:58am
Very nice indeed.

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=6535&sort=&pagenum=2" rel="nofollow - 89 SN
<a href="http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=6567&sort=&pagenum=1" rel="nofollow">7

Posted By: quinner
Date Posted: July-11-2014 at 10:43am
That really looks great. If you are interested in replicating the Stickers I have a some originals, probably too old to use now but could be used as a template.

Sold my Paragon a few years ago, the only Red one ever built.

Posted By: backfoot100
Date Posted: July-11-2014 at 10:45am
Very cool indeed. Looks awesome. I'll be very interested to follow along and see how everything was done.

-------------
When people run down to the lake to see what's making that noise, you've succeeded.

Eddie

Date Posted: July-11-2014 at 11:03am
Couple more pics for comparison:

Posted By: JPASS
Date Posted: July-11-2014 at 11:12am
Damn Quinner that thing was immaculate.

-------------
'92 Correctcraft Ski Nautique

Date Posted: July-11-2014 at 11:23am
I'd disconnect my Mazda pickup while taking pictures too-

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=1711&sort=&pagenum=1&yrstart=1966&yrend=1970" rel="nofollow - 69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport

Posted By: HatterBee
Date Posted: July-11-2014 at 12:10pm
WOW, That looks amazing. Would love to see some pics of it in the water!!

-------------
1977 Ski Nautique
Under Re-construction

http://www.correctcraftfan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=25004&title=1977-ski-nautique-rebuild" rel="nofollow - My Rebuild Thread

Posted By: 63 Skier
Date Posted: July-11-2014 at 12:12pm
Steve, the boat is gorgeous, really nice work on that project. Had to be fun for you and your dad to put all that work in together.

When you get it out again, please put up some on-water pics, would love to see it floating on glassy calm, and at speed.

-------------
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique

Date Posted: July-11-2014 at 12:14pm
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

Was just about to say the same thing, you beat me to it. I think the tow vehicle was actually slower than the boat it was towing.

-------------

Posted By: Frankenotter
Date Posted: July-11-2014 at 12:34pm

Lmao. Quinner, why did you ever get rid of that thing. It was beautiful.

-------------
1999 Ski Nautique 196

Posted By: JoeinNY
Date Posted: July-11-2014 at 12:43pm
Originally posted by Frankenotter Frankenotter wrote:

The replacement isn't bad either...

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=1477 - 1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cO5MkcBXBBs - Holeshot Video

Posted By: Swatkinz
Date Posted: July-11-2014 at 1:18pm
how is the mahogoney adhered to the deck?

Were the windshield frames on original Paragons actually wooden or was it a faux wood metal frame?

Nice work. That looks really good.

-------------
Steve
2011 Sport/Air 200
Excalibur 343
2017 Boatmate Tandem Axle Trailer

Former CC owner (77, 80, 95, 88, all SNs)

Former Malibu owner (07, 09)

Posted By: skutsch
Date Posted: July-11-2014 at 1:23pm

I don't know, I am not a big fan of the Mazda pick-up...

The work on the Paragon Replica is VERY cool.

-------------
Our http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=4669" rel="nofollow - 98 Sport Nautique
My Dad's 63 Ski N

Date Posted: July-11-2014 at 1:27pm

Just sold the Mazda B2K last week, it was an 1983 and only had 39k original miles.........Oh wait, you meant the Paragon, LMAO

Posted By: phatsat67
Date Posted: July-11-2014 at 1:31pm
Quinner, did you ever spill any beer on that Teak flooring?

-------------

Date Posted: July-11-2014 at 1:32pm
Steve,

The windshield frame was real wood, the floors were all teak and the deck was mahogany.

The slalom wake was definitely bigger on the Paragon, like every CC I have owned, more weight = bigger slalom wake

Zach, never spill my beer, that's just wasteful!

Date Posted: July-11-2014 at 1:48pm
Isn't pulling a Paragon with a B2000 kind of like living in a refrigerator box and wearing a Rolex?

Chris, no question on the weight. I'm not good about emptying out my boat and keeping fuel low, but when I remember to do so it's a very noticeable difference.

Your Paragon was beautiful! And Steve's custom '96 is one of a kind, a great example of what some creativity and hard work can do.

-------------

Posted By: east tx skier
Date Posted: July-11-2014 at 2:37pm
Wow! What a fantastic project! Nice work!

/!!!!

-------------
http://correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=2383&sort=&pagenum=7&yrstart=1996&yrend=2000 - 1998 Ski Nautique (Red & Silver Cloud); GT-40; Perfect Pass Stargazer; Acme 422.

Date Posted: July-11-2014 at 3:01pm
Thanks again guys for all the compliments.

Regarding the question about how the mahogany is held down, it was all done with stainless torx (tamper-pruf) bolts with a round head. The wood was counter-sunk so the bolt could be installed and hidden with a wood plug on top.   The bolts go through the wood and fiberglass and have large flat washers inside to distribute the load so the lock washers and nuts won't pull through. Lots of stainless bolts, washers, and nuts were used.

As far as the wake goes with the extra weight of the wood, I can comment more on that when we get the boat back in the water at the end of the month.

-------------
5.8 GT-40 EFI

Posted By: uk1979
Date Posted: July-11-2014 at 3:07pm
Great work on the boat...you will have lots of smiles per hour with her

-------------
Lets have a go
56 Starflite
77 SN
78 SN
80 BFN

Posted By: Orlando76
Date Posted: July-11-2014 at 3:13pm
Awesome job! I think I like the SN windshield better than the Paragon's. Let me know when you can start converting my SN over, lol.

Quinner, are you certain your red one was the only one produced?

Posted By: 75 Tique
Date Posted: July-11-2014 at 3:19pm
Originally posted by Orlando76 Orlando76 wrote:

Quinner, are you certain your red one was the only one produced?

That's the word on the street. I forget the exact number, but something like 12 greens and Quinners one red one, which I believe was originally built for someone in the CC family, but I could be wrong about that: Chris can clarify.

Oh, and great job on the Replica!!! Very nice work.

-------------

Date Posted: July-11-2014 at 3:30pm
I thought there were 40 built. As to the break down of green vs red, idk but I've seen a red personally and when you google CC Paragon, there's quite a few reds pop up. I think the red is sharp.

But this replica looks awesome.

Posted By: Hollywood
Date Posted: July-11-2014 at 3:36pm
You are way off with 40. I googled Correct Craft Paragon and the red one is all the same boat. The current owner bought a new trailer. Ken Meloon spec'd much if the customization on the red one, not sure if he was the first title holder though.

-------------

Date Posted: July-11-2014 at 3:57pm
HW is correct, the Red (Wineberry) was built for and per Ken Meloon's personal specs, a one of a kind in several ways. The color, bling on the motor and a few other details were unique to that Paragon only. Numbers I have always heard were 10 green + 1 red.

Brand new never titled boat was purchased with a few hours on it for about twice what a 93' well equipped Ski Nautique would have cost.

Date Posted: July-11-2014 at 5:52pm
I might be getting numbers mixed with the Silver Nautique. Did some research and the Orlando Slant-nel says 26 were built. With red, green, white and blue colors available.   I guess white and blue must've never been built.

Date Posted: July-11-2014 at 5:54pm
http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/1994-01-27/topic/9401260092_1_correct-craft-ski-boat-ski-nautique" rel="nofollow - Paragon Orlando Sentinel

What does Art say?

Posted By: *mtrbtr*
Date Posted: July-11-2014 at 6:41pm
Love the project, if I had any time, money, and skill, I would love to do something like that. Beautiful.

-------------
2006 SV 211 (sold) went to the dark side
97 Sport Nautique (sold)
89 PS 190 (sold)
05 Four Winns H180 (sold)
89 Four Winns 180 Freedom (sold)
75 MFG (sold)

Posted By: 75 Tique
Date Posted: July-11-2014 at 6:45pm
Originally posted by Orlando76 Orlando76 wrote:

I might be getting numbers mixed with the Silver Nautique.   

I believe there were 82 Silvers.

I read the article. Surprised to read the Paragons were painted, not gelled. It reads like CC craftsman did the wood work, where the legend around here is that the wood work was farmed out to another contractor, supposedly in NY, IIRC.

-------------

Date Posted: July-11-2014 at 8:37pm
I cannot imagine CC craftsman building them,the last wood boats built by them was something like 30 years before. Someone with the craftsmanship that's needed for a 48k boat wasn't sitting around CC fiberglassing seat bases and resting for a couple of years after building stringers

-------------
95 Nautique Super Sport

Date Posted: July-11-2014 at 9:36pm
Hey Todd, (Orlando76) Thanks for the link! Blue sounds awesome!

Chris, what's the story on the acquisition and sale?? Nice pics!

-------------
Js

Posted By: east tx skier
Date Posted: July-12-2014 at 11:06pm
Originally posted by quinner quinner wrote:

HW is correct, the Red (Wineberry) was built for and per Ken Meloon's personal specs, a one of a kind in several ways. The color, bling on the motor and a few other details were unique to that Paragon only. Numbers I have always heard were 10 green + 1 red.

Brand new never titled boat was purchased with a few hours on it for about twice what a 93' well equipped Ski Nautique would have cost.

I can only imagine what it felt like to let that immaculate and beautiful boat be pulled out of the driveway behind something other than your Mazda. What a tough one to let go!

-------------
http://correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=2383&sort=&pagenum=7&yrstart=1996&yrend=2000 - 1998 Ski Nautique (Red & Silver Cloud); GT-40; Perfect Pass Stargazer; Acme 422.

Posted By: hondaprlud
Date Posted: July-15-2014 at 1:20pm
Cool project, nice job!

Posted By: Kristof
Date Posted: July-21-2014 at 7:20pm
Awesome boat! Nice work! I love it...

-------------
- Gun control means: using BOTH hands!
- Money doesn't make one happy, but when it rains cats and dogs, it's still better to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle...

Posted By: 8122pbrainard
Date Posted: July-27-2017 at 12:44pm
Originally posted by 81nautique 81nautique wrote:

I've been wondering when someone was going to do this.   Looks like some fine work and agree I like the stock windshield.   Great job, is it a coincidence you posted this while Pete is up north with No Internet.

WOW! I completely missed the entire thread. Alan, yes, in 14 I was up north without any internet. I probably wouldn't have ever seen it without Ken suggesting to google Paragon in the other "classic" CC thread! I concur, that it sure looks like some great work and lots of it! I wonder where it is now and how it's holding up.

-------------
/diaries/details.asp?ID=1622" rel="nofollow -

54 Atom

/diaries/details.asp?ID=2179" rel="nofollow - 77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: February-04-2018 at 10:30pm
bump! Yes, were is it now?

Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Originally posted by 81nautique 81nautique wrote:

WOW! I completely missed the entire thread. Alan, yes, in 14 I was up north without any internet. I probably wouldn't have ever seen it without Ken suggesting to google Paragon in the other "classic" CC thread! I concur, that it sure looks like some great work and lots of it! I wonder where it is now and how it's holding up.

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: February-05-2018 at 9:50am
Yes. I would also like to see how it is holding up?

-------------
Js

Date Posted: February-05-2018 at 11:14am
Must be really cold up north

-------------
95 Nautique Super Sport

Date Posted: February-05-2018 at 11:28am
I sent Steve a PM. Hopefully he'll get it and fill us in on what's up with the Paragon.

Gary,
Yes, it's on the chilly side up here. The temp has come up from the overnight of -16 and is now -11.The wood stove is going and keeping the house at a very nice 76!!

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Posted By: KENO
Date Posted: February-05-2018 at 12:22pm
You better hope that Steve is a "lurker" Pete.

He hasn't logged on since 9/15/14.

http://correctcraftfan.com/forum/member_profile.asp?PF=13775" rel="nofollow - Steve's profile

If you're that interested, maybe you should let Google find him

Date Posted: February-05-2018 at 8:12pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

The wood stove is going and keeping the house at a very nice 76!!

I here ya Pete,were struggling to keep it at 74

-------------
95 Nautique Super Sport

Posted By: Alex47
Date Posted: February-05-2018 at 9:08pm
Very Impressive!

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5444&sort=&pagenum=1" rel="nofollow - 1977 Ski Tique

Print Page | Close Window