NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Loud Pipes Save Lives

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12345>
Author
P71_CrownVic View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote P71_CrownVic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-24-2014 at 11:23pm
Should be "DUAL pipes save lives"

Hansel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hansel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-24-2014 at 11:24pm
I like where the design is going and have no problem with riffing on HD but I think it is worth saying that a transom view, while instantly recognizable to us, will probably not be recognizable as a boat, let along the rear of one, by the average person on the street. If the shirt is purely about making CCFans happy maybe that doesn't matter.

Still, it might be worth exploring a design that makes it obvious to the lay person that it is the exhaust note of a boat we are talking about here. For example, you could have the boat turned 45 deg left or right in profile, and you could (let's just get crazy here) design it to look like it is taking off and getting up on plane. An example of the type of profile I would imagine is below.

With this design you could even work in the "Ski Nautique" that we all know and love with little/no effort. I'm not advocating for a TSC3 hull, its just the first internet image I could find. If we really wanted to get nuts we could cartoonize the exhaust a bit to emphasize it. Somebody has to have a photo of a transom pad boat like this you could base it off of. Surely there exists dozens of Tim's BFN doing a liftoff at the very least. Then again, most folks may not even recognize what I am proposing as a boat either...

I just don't have much confidence that Joe Schmo will be able to even identify that the image on the shirt is a boat, let alone the "pipes" that "saves lives" (haha, that was a great typo, not making fun of you Alan) in the design as it currently stands. Again, if we don't care what other people see/think then who cares. But if we do, it might be worth market testing the design on some lay people for their input at the very least.

JM2C
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-24-2014 at 11:29pm
Originally posted by Tim D Tim D wrote:

Got home and found the rejected shirt design from last year.

Sorry guys but this is a way better design, IMO than the Mustang or whatever random/anonymous older boat hull was being shown in the initial design ideas. I want a definitive, obvious competition ski boat in a shirt like this because I'm a water skier and that is what I do with these boats. 2001 FTW on a shirt like this. KILLER graphic and I'd buy this shirt in a second.
2000 SN GT40 w/99 Graphics/Gel
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI
https://forum.fifteenoff.com

cboland View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cboland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-24-2014 at 11:41pm
Agreed. The 2001 shirt is awesome.
Bud

1999 Sport Nautique
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-25-2014 at 12:21am
If you are going to make a shirt I agree with M3. Few know what a Mustang is, few don't know what a Ski Nautique is.
1970 Mustang "Theseus' paradox"
If everyone else is doing it, you're too late!

Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-25-2014 at 12:53am
This pic is only 96 dpi. I kept shrinking it to upload directly, but gave up and put it on photobucket after I made it smaller.

Tim D
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-25-2014 at 1:07am
I don't disagree with the 2001, or any year ski Nautique, being more recognizable. In my opinion this is a way to diversify what Alan is providing a bit. The 2001 has appeared on many shirts, I'm wearing one now, and there's plenty of Ski Nautique or Nautique gear available either from Nautique or dealers.

The Mustang hull is something different and something were all familiar with but haven't had the chance to wear on a shirt. As for it being recognizable to the market, I doubt we're going to see a huge percentage of purchases from outside the site so public opinion doesn't mean much IMHO. If we're trying to build a profit center for the site then that changes the conversation.

74Wind View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74Wind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-25-2014 at 1:10am
Originally posted by Hansel Hansel wrote:

I like where the design is going and have no problem with riffing on HD but I think it is worth saying that a transom view, while instantly recognizable to us, will probably not be recognizable as a boat, let along the rear of one, by the average person on the street. If the shirt is purely about making CCFans happy maybe that doesn't matter.

Still, it might be worth exploring a design that makes it obvious to the lay person that it is the exhaust note of a boat we are talking about here. For example, you could have the boat turned 45 deg left or right in profile, and you could (let's just get crazy here) design it to look like it is taking off and getting up on plane. An example of the type of profile I would imagine is below.

With this design you could even work in the "Ski Nautique" that we all know and love with little/no effort. I'm not advocating for a TSC3 hull, its just the first internet image I could find. If we really wanted to get nuts we could cartoonize the exhaust a bit to emphasize it. Somebody has to have a photo of a transom pad boat like this you could base it off of. Surely there exists dozens of Tim's BFN doing a liftoff at the very least. Then again, most folks may not even recognize what I am proposing as a boat either...

I just don't have much confidence that Joe Schmo will be able to even identify that the image on the shirt is a boat, let alone the "pipes" that "saves lives" (haha, that was a great typo, not making fun of you Alan) in the design as it currently stands. Again, if we don't care what other people see/think then who cares. But if we do, it might be worth market testing the design on some lay people for their input the very least.

JM2C

Agreed, "the average person on the street" would have no clue what it means regardless of the picayune design details. Inboarders would get it; if not, who cares.....and I'll surely buy the final design.

As on old-schooler with two 40 year old inboards, I'd disagree with adding "Ski Nautique" however. There are still some great classic dual-pipe SN's out there, but at this point in 2014 I think most SNs suffer severely from a lack of "loud pipes".......(no offense intended).
1974 Southwind 18
1975 Century Mark II
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-25-2014 at 1:11am
While for 30 years you guys have been able to buy your Ski Nautique shirts we have had zip. There will be more Ski Nautique shirts for you to buy in the future I'm sure. I think you can let us have one.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
IAughtNaut View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IAughtNaut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-25-2014 at 1:48am
I like both ideas for the front...either the nose or the profile, especially on a pocket tee, i'd buy a half dozen of those. my boat doesn't always fit in with this crowd because it was built after I was born, but I'm all for the old school lines, mustang, skier, 1st gen sn, take your pick. to hell with the harley guys (no offense to any present) I've always liked John's signature, and as for mass appeal, I don't think this was ever intended for everyone...we'll know what it is. I'd rather wear a shirt I like than some ed hardy/affliction attrocity any d-bag can buy at hot topic.
bring the ruckus
2000 Pro Air
74Wind View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74Wind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-25-2014 at 1:53am
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

While for 30 years you guys have been able to buy your Ski Nautique shirts we have had zip. There will be more Ski Nautique shirts for you to buy in the future I'm sure. I think you can lwiwindet us have one.

Go Gary..Go Gary...

PO of my Southwind absurdly adhered a "Ski Nautique" sticker to the side windshield; which I would remove..... if I could ever remember to bring a razorblade to the lake.

I certainly have nothing against the word Nautique, but Correct Craft has been "on the waters of the world since 1925".
1974 Southwind 18
1975 Century Mark II
Hansel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hansel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-25-2014 at 5:10am
I don't think for a moment that anybody other than a CCFan would likely buy/wear these shirts. I only mean to say that the more esoteric the design becomes the fewer outside observers will understand that it is boats and the way they sound that you like, and not that you are into Lord know what kind of pipes that apparently save lives and "Hmm... What's that thing in the middle?"

Maybe that matters to you, maybe it doesn't.

81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-25-2014 at 8:43am
Two points, as Hansel said this is an internal shirt for ccfans, I have seen every order we've ever produced and 99% of sales are from forum members so don't worry about what the masses think. this is your shirt, do what you want.

Second , Tim D's design is awesome but keep in mind I'd have to get permission to produce if or anything we put Correct craft or Nautique on, not saying they wouldn't approve but I was thinking this would be something we could push through quickly and get to market if we wanted to.

I'll throw this out there to Tim D. You do some nice work. If you've some ideas/designs you would like to sell in the ccfan store please get in touch with me and we'll see if we can make it happen.   I have very little skin in the game here and money is not why we do this, the more we can offer the fans the better.
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-25-2014 at 10:14am
Alan, the shirt is great in any of the drawings and fonts. I'll buy 5. Just about every shirt I own is esoteric in one way or another.    It makes for a great conversation opener.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-25-2014 at 10:19am
I agree with Chris and Gary... No one is going to understand the t-short but us anyways. The saying is cool but doesn't make as much sense when applied to boats- but I don't care. Let this one be a Mustang, I too have a dozen shirts with a SN on it.

TimD's replication of Bruces picture is much nicer than Chris's drawing that I tweaked. If it can be massaged a bit to include larger dual exhaust then that'd get my vote. Of course, a later 60's mustang with the transom pad taken from a lower angle might be an even better starting point... Let me make a few calls.
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-25-2014 at 10:50am
He's another transom that may help with the drawing.

Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-25-2014 at 10:53am
Here's another, but oh no Hollywood, snaps!

81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-25-2014 at 11:06am
I was referring to Tim D's 2001 drawing , if you want to use his mustang drawing that would work fine, we'll just add another exhaust port.
Hansel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hansel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-25-2014 at 12:06pm
Originally posted by Riley Riley wrote:

Alan, the shirt is great in any of the drawings and fonts. I'll buy 5. Just about every shirt I own is esoteric in one way or another.    It makes for a great conversation opener.

Riley, that is a great way to think about it!

Thanks Alan for putting up with the Peanut Gallery.
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-25-2014 at 12:09pm
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

While for 30 years you guys have been able to buy your Ski Nautique shirts we have had zip. There will be more Ski Nautique shirts for you to buy in the future I'm sure. I think you can let us have one.

Wow...did someone hit a nerve?

I personally am perfectly fine with using the Stern of the Mustang for this shirt. I have a closet full of Correct Craft shirts and plenty with a 2001 on it. Face it..... when we all attend a gathering it's the LOUD boats that everyone wants a chance to get to drive or ride in. I'd never miss an opportunity to drive Gary's boat or any other LOUD boat for that matter. I haven't heard a CCFan yet that complained that it's TOO LOUD! Ladies yes but guys no.... There is no mistaking an old Correct Craft coming down the lake even when you can't see it but cause you can HEAR it. Who care's if no one but us "GETS IT". Chances are is that you'll probably have someone ask about it. So what if we are using something that is usually related to motorcycles Truth hurts sometimes... and it's not just HD guys. We Victory owners love loud pipes too!

"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-25-2014 at 12:43pm
Does any one have a stern pic at 300 dpi ? I could do something with that quality. I increased this one to 200 dpi.

Tim D
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-25-2014 at 12:47pm
Well, I left part of the truck in the steering wheel.
Tim D
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-25-2014 at 12:51pm
I can send you any of the pics I have if you'd like. PM me your email address.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-25-2014 at 12:55pm
That looks awesome but I'd still like to see a Mustang... It has much more distinctive character lines than anything else CC made, Skier, Barracuda, SN included. Give me a few days and I should be able to get a pic of one from the proper angle.
Waterdog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Waterdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-25-2014 at 1:37pm
I like'm all - #6 best
XXL please!
- waterdog -

78 Ski Tique

Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-25-2014 at 2:04pm
Please no more cartoons or bubbles or moving boats
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-25-2014 at 3:11pm
Can we make a shirt with `Hollywood as a cartoon barefooting backwards drinking a coors light? Add in some bubbles and I think he will be happy.
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-25-2014 at 4:02pm
My mind's image of 'loud pipes".

And speaking of Bubbles, the guys who have them;

Just me of course!
Bubbles in action!
1970 Mustang "Theseus' paradox"
If everyone else is doing it, you're too late!

bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-25-2014 at 4:21pm
My vote won't matter much, but I liked the simple drawing concept where this began. If I want a picture of boat, I'll take a picture of a boat. I don't need it printed on a T shirt. The simple drawing that Tim B provided had more than enough detail. As Alan said, it was Chris M's idea so let him pick the boat. Arguably, Tim D came up with the idea a couple a years ago- let him pick the boat - doesn't make much difference. It's a $10 or $15 shirt and will be purchased by the same folks that bought all the others. Not exactly an investment which requires much thought. I'm sure Alan and/or Tim D will make more designs, and I'm sure the same folks will buy those as well. My vote, go with the simple design which seemed to spur interest. More does not equal better. BKH
Livin' the Dream

Hussler View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hussler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-25-2014 at 4:44pm
I really love the cursive my correct craft tee came in. I think the boat should be a first gen nautique so the boat applies to all of us
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12345>
  Share Topic