NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Pics of your tow vehicle?

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 2425262728 29>
Author
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-08-2016 at 10:50am
Originally posted by lewy2001 lewy2001 wrote:

Ford Australia now also have a wagon "Everest" based on the Ranger. Shame they make them in Thailand though instead of Australia. The design and R & D is still all done in Aus. at least...
Ford Everest

With a 3.2 liter diesel. It kills me that I can't buy an SUV in the US with a diesel. I'm hoping the little Duramax GM put in the Canyon this year finds it's way into other vehicles, but doesn't seem to be much push for it.
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
tryathlete View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tryathlete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-08-2016 at 11:16am
Wow--I'm debating what to replace my aging but still reliable company car with-- Ford Explorer with Ecoboost 3.5 or maybe this Colorado with diesel. Third choice is Highlander AWD V-6.
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-08-2016 at 11:25am
Originally posted by 63 Skier 63 Skier wrote:

Originally posted by lewy2001 lewy2001 wrote:

Ford Australia now also have a wagon "Everest" based on the Ranger. Shame they make them in Thailand though instead of Australia. The design and R & D is still all done in Aus. at least...
Ford Everest

With a 3.2 liter diesel. It kills me that I can't buy an SUV in the US with a diesel. I'm hoping the little Duramax GM put in the Canyon this year finds it's way into other vehicles, but doesn't seem to be much push for it.

Jeep has one
http://www.jeep.com/hostc/bmo/CUJ201603WKJP74A/2TH/configurator.do#/powertrain
One of these days stupid Americans will wake up and start to demand more diesel options in their vehicles
I'm all diesel wife has a '07Jeep GC 3.0 CRD I have my F-250 Powerstroke and a VW Jetta TDI as my daily driver

]
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tryathlete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-08-2016 at 12:03pm
With the clean air emissions requirements where they are for diesels, the advantages once held by these more efficient heat engines are rapidly going away. VW cheated because these regulations destroyed their market advantage. Ford used to have a great diesel in the Powerstroke. Successive generations that replaced that great engine suffered from catastrophic warranty and reliability issues caused by rapid technology implementation designed to meet the cleaner emissions requirements. A friend of mine has a Jeep Liberty diesel that has spent an inordinate amount of time in the shop.

Direct injection turbo gasoline engines are starting to make a big dent in the differences between gas and diesel performance and the business case for diesels has forced most OEM's to abandon diesel tech in the USA. Europe is finally realizing that their air quality problems resulting from favoring diesel fuel via tax favoritism
Is flawed.

I had a Powerstroke Excursion. Dang--wish I still had that
Monster truck. Mother of all SUV's
uk1979 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uk1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-08-2016 at 12:31pm
If you thinking of a diesel do lots of research on the one you like....new diesel are not like the old ones... lots of tech on them to go wrong check out dpf filters they can kill new diesel engines...top tip change oil more often than is recommended.
One of our MB sprinters late 2010 new engine at 245k.
Lets have a go
56 Starflite
77 SN
78 SN
80 BFN
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tryathlete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-08-2016 at 1:10pm
Wow 245k diesel life--class 8 diesel trucks seek
1MM longevity. EGR kills diesels. It puts heat and exhaust gasses where they do the
Most damage--back inside the engine. Cooling systems were greatly enlarged, and
Urea added to further reduce emissions another hassle.

I like the performance but he cost to go diesel simply doesn't add up unless the engine lasts a hell of a long time and you drive a lot. I mean A LOT.
desertskier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-08-2016 at 1:20pm
My old houseboat partners own an aftermarket parts company called Bulletproof Diesel. They have made millions re-designing Ford 6.0 parts.   Two very intelligent hard working brothers.
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-08-2016 at 1:35pm
If I needed a new 3/4 ton truck it would be a gas rig due to the fuel, upgrade, potential maintenance costs.
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-08-2016 at 2:38pm
I do not understand the fascination with Diesel engines in light duty vehicles. One exposure to exhaust from a diesel, especially an older one or one modified by some knucklehead to pollute more has my asthmatic wife reaching for her rescue inhaler and can involve an emergency room visit. I love Jan and we have had 44 great years together. I would like to have her around for many more years to come.
1970 Mustang "Theseus' paradox"
If everyone else is doing it, you're too late!

GMacLaren View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GMacLaren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-08-2016 at 2:55pm
Originally posted by john b john b wrote:

I do not understand the fascination with Diesel engines in light duty vehicles. One exposure to exhaust from a diesel, especially an older one or one modified by some knucklehead to pollute more has my asthmatic wife reaching for her rescue inhaler and can involve an emergency room visit. I love Jan and we have had 44 great years together. I would like to have her around for many more years to come.

John, I agree! This is a bit off-topic, but that's never stopped anyone here ---
Soo, I learned to dislike Peugeots while stationed in France in the late 50's. Therefore -- I was dismayed when the rental place in Scotland substituted a Peugeot for the real car I had reserved for 2 weeks. I was more than pleasantly surprised with that diesel Peugeot! It may have been the best designed car I've ever driven. Small & powerful it was great fun to drive on those cow paths the Scots call roads. Great mileage (important in GB) and I never got a whif of diesel fumes -- nor did my wife (with asthma.) All that, and -- it had an amazing sunroof! I'm told the car can't be sold here because it doesn't meet our emission standards. If you rent a car in Scotland, ask for a Peugeot!

-=Grant MacLaren=-
Retired Expert
http://www.grantmaclaren.com/72skier
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-08-2016 at 5:20pm
Originally posted by uk1979 uk1979 wrote:

If you thinking of a diesel do lots of research on the one you like....new diesel are not like the old ones... lots of tech on them to go wrong check out dpf filters they can kill new diesel engines...top tip change oil more often than is recommended.

I do miss my 6.5 turbo at times but, it wasn't without the tech problems. Being a 95, it was a first generation with the electronics driving the injector pump. At least it didn't need the DEF!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-08-2016 at 5:39pm
For the distance I drove everyday it killed my diesel in 100k miles. It is still better to live close to work than to get good mileage. I still do not really drive that much, except for the southern runs. By the time the payback would be reached I'd be way tired of it anyway.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-08-2016 at 8:44pm
I had forgotten about the Grand Cherokee diesel. A friend of mine has one and loves it. Pricey!

Peter, my son and I drove our Jeep Liberty CRD to Boston and back, about 150 miles total. It's got 144,000 miles on it, and has been an amazing vehicle. Yes, most had problems before 100,000 miles, and I bought mine with I think 85,000 on it. I put aftermarket ECM and tranny module on, run good oil and filter, did a thermostat mod to let it get up to temp and stay there. We'll see how much longer it last but I really like it. You are 100% right about EGR's, my ECM stops all EGR function.

John, I totally respect your need to stay away from the fumes. I guess the "why run a diesel" question for me is kind of like "why run a Ford over a Chevy". I just like diesels. GM 6.5's are a hobby of mine, love driving my '98 plow truck, sometimes park the Tahoe and just drive it for a week because it's fun. So my desire for a diesel SUV is just that I enjoy driving diesel vehicles more than gas vehicles.

lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-09-2016 at 9:29am
I actually have The Jeep Grand Cherokee ECO diesel great vehicle it is by far the best diesel engine by a margin available in a affordable SUV in Australia.
If you're going through hell, keep going

89 Ski

<a href="http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5685" ta
uk1979 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uk1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-09-2016 at 10:22am
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Originally posted by uk1979 uk1979 wrote:

I do miss my 6.5 turbo at times but, it wasn't without the tech problems. Being a 95, it was a first generation with the electronics driving the injector pump. At least it didn't need the DEF!

It’s the same old story...as manufactures develop super clean diesel engines we are the test drivers for them to see what works or needs more improvements, as for MB sprinter 3.5 ton first gen 5pot 2.9L turbo diesel engine regularly run well over 500k with an mpg around 25 to 30 now super clean 4 pot 2.148L twin turbo (small and bigger one to cut lag) mpg around 30 to 36 can fail as low as 100k big ends seem to be the problem on pot 3 or 4.
Things I found running them, they do indeed run much hotter, oil change every 6 week on high mileage vehicles as even top grade oil is trashed by the heat, super clean diesel hate short journeys and will fail sooner and block the exhaust DPF (diesel particulate filter) as most work by regeneration process triggered by sensor taking pressure front and back of filter the ECU will then using the electronic injectors to operate on the exhaust stroke only if the exhaust gas temp is high enough to burn the particles in the filter which will fill slowly with some of the ash, as you can see short journey they just soot up to the point they block up stress the engine more or stop it.
Take the dpf off and have it cleaned at around 100k or the stealer ship will tell you it needs replacing MB cat and filter unit £1500.00 cleaned £120.
I’m sure in time things will improve with super clean diesel, as we go on to 300k I can still run my finger round the tail pipe with no black soot.
On the up side I pay half the road tax each year £150 and can drive into London , pre 2002 old diesel vans £275 a day.
MB use this engine in many of their cars.      
Lets have a go
56 Starflite
77 SN
78 SN
80 BFN
Steveeyedoc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steveeyedoc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-28-2016 at 3:09pm

These old Dodge Rams are nice for pulling out on the road, but a pain to maneuver at a tight boat ramp. Used to use a Ford Bronco, it was just the opposite.
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-28-2016 at 8:38pm
Nice 216!!! What year?

You say "old" Ram, how about the year/details on the truck, hard to see what it is in the picture. Doesn't look too old.

Welcome to CCF.
Steveeyedoc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steveeyedoc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-28-2016 at 10:12pm
It is an 06. I bought it last summer. An older gentleman ordered it new to try to get his grandkids interested in skiing and wakeboarding. It didn't work so he finally traded it in on a new pontoon. It only has 130 hrs. I was able to get a good deal as everyone around here either wants a pontoon or a dedicated wake/surf boat. Additionally, no one would look at it because it didn't have a tower which is fine with me. I had an older Malibu and the build quality, materials, and fit and finish of the Nautique is orders of magnitude better. i should have made the change long ago.

The truck is an 05 Quad cab. It is still in pretty good shape for its age. It has the Hemi and one would think it would be a great tow truck. The problem is that the gear ratios let the rpms get a little too high at highway seeds in "tow" and it shifts constantly in regular overdrive. If you were going to use it for lots of highway hauling, the diesel would be the way to go. Thankfully I only have to go about a quarter of a mile to the ramp. The old boat was red and white, so I guess I need to trade for a black truck to keep the fashion police off my back.

I have already used CCF a lot. It is a great resource and being able to tap into everyones knowledge and experience on various topics is priceless.
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-28-2016 at 11:46pm
With these newer, smaller displacement V-8's (yes, I consider the mighty hemi 5.7 to still be a relatively small V8) they need to rev to tow well. My 5.3 in my Tahoe is the same way, if you are used to low end lugging torque these aren't the engines for that. Let them wind up into their power band and they really do quite well. My tow mode holds the 6 speed tranny in 5th which helps, but like you say at 65 plus mph it's going to be winding pretty good. Won't hurt it a bit though, turn up the radio and drive!

Love the looks of your 216, that's the 8 year newer version of my boat, I assume same hull but not sure of that.
Adaptivelimb View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adaptivelimb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-02-2016 at 1:38pm
Diesel Baby!!!
Win
1999 Ski Nautique
Masters Edition Blue
skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-03-2016 at 10:02am
That is a REALLY nice looking boat, trailer and truck!
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adaptivelimb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-03-2016 at 12:27pm
Thanks, I think it is a nice looking package too. The diesel pulls wonderfully also. Get 28-31 mpg on the highway. Cant wait to see what I get under load.
Win
1999 Ski Nautique
Masters Edition Blue
lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-03-2016 at 9:18pm
That makes 3 of us with the JGC Eco diesel

89 Ski

Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adaptivelimb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-03-2016 at 11:21pm
Is that a Trail rated Trailer? Definitely a job for the diesel! What MPG do you get towing the sport? Also, Mine is a Ski!
Win
1999 Ski Nautique
Masters Edition Blue
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-04-2016 at 9:55am
Adaptive,   I have a JGC Ecodeisel also, towing my close to 5000# 200 sport I get between 15 and 18 on a regular basis. I've gotten over 20 pulling the Hurricane which is about 1000# lighter. It is a pulling machine and wants to go to work.
lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-04-2016 at 9:06pm
Adaptive I get 12-13l/100 klms towing the Sport which is about 18-19 mpg.

The trailer is "trail rated" we often use it as a grader to take the humps out of the ramp

My recent US visitors were surprised by our ramps down under and I did not even take them on the back road ramp. Hopefully we will get some rain before next season so we can use the new concrete extension they have added to the existing ramps. But they will not come into play until around 25% we are currently at 5% of dam capacity.   

89 Ski

SWANY View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SWANY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-05-2016 at 9:50pm

new truck to me back in February. Hoped the combo would have looked a little better together....
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-06-2016 at 1:03pm
Look at you Fancy Pants Joel.....Nice Rig!!

We picked up the 206 from Kutsch last night, Maddie did all the driving/towing, she did great, prepping her for our trip back East this summer.
hansenindustries View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hansenindustries Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-06-2016 at 4:18pm

Here's old faithful! 2001 Yukon XL Denali 6.0 V8 AWD.
1988 Ski Nautique 2001
2000 Super Air Nautique
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-06-2016 at 5:30pm
Is that Aunt Edna in the bag up on the roof??
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 2425262728 29>
  Share Topic