Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

New ACME 540

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
Author
64 Skier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 64 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-14-2006 at 12:29am
I have not read the alignment procedure, but we pre-alignened with a feeler gauge. Then tightened the flange bolts. After that I rotated the prop by hand and it had a tough spot so my son moved each mount until it was free to rotate.

Be carefull, that new prop is sharp(sharper than me anyway)and I cut the hell out of my hand!

So JIH, in summary you have a Doubel D in your vibrating boat....let's wait for 79Nauty to chime in....
64 Skier
66" HO VTX and 67" HO Triumph
71CC
Jim_In_Houston View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim_In_Houston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-14-2006 at 7:47am
Really, turn the prop by hand to see if it has a tight spot? Does that confirm a misalignment? My drive line does indeed have a tight spot when I turn the shaft. Does everyone agree with this "test" for alignment? I need to know. Thanks 64!!!
Happy owner of a '66 and a '68 Mustang
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-14-2006 at 8:05am
I would aggree this is a good starting point if nothing else, but it does make since, provided that the stuffness is form the coupler and not internal to the tranny or stuffing box. I guess you could loosen the stuffing box and slide it up the shaft some to eleminate it as a possible cause.

I did mine by starting off using the feeler gauge at the coupling and then by feel when I drove it. I backed off the jam nuts and then cranked on the jack screws with an adjustable a little at a time until I could not feel any vibration in the wheel or seat. And stairing at the DD well just distract you from the job at hand so horray up and get'r done and go back to the important stuff... the DD's
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim_In_Houston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-14-2006 at 2:05pm
79, you adjusted the jack screws with the engine running?
JEFF KOSTIS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JEFF KOSTIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-14-2006 at 6:43pm
    Well guys, I pulled my onvoice and found out that my prop is a 12.50X15.000VR3B 1.00 .105 prop. Thats what my invoice says exactly. What is this???
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim_In_Houston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-14-2006 at 7:24pm
I have to correct an earlier post in this thread for accuracy in regards to backing with the new 540 prop.

I took the boat out this afternoon for about 30 minutes and I was incorrect when I said the boat no longer pulled the aft to the port (left) when backing slowly. It backs about the same as before and maybe even with a little more pull to the left than before. I was paying more attention to that this afternoon.(Once you learn to deal with this effect you can put it to good use when docking or turning the boat around.)

I think we have one more day of nice weather and then I will pull the boat out of the water and again change out the props.

I have flip flopped. If I get no offers I will go ahead and have the prop trimmed and make a new post on the results. (I would rather sell the prop in new condition rather then trim it however.)

Thanks fellows on the tips on engine alignment.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim_In_Houston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-14-2006 at 7:30pm
Jeff, can't help you too much on the VR3B. Looks like a 12.5" Dia. x 15" Pitch with a 1" bore and .105" cup. How does it run?
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JEFF KOSTIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-14-2006 at 7:58pm
   Jim, The prop is by far the smoooothest prop I have ever used. I tried it on both boats and run anywhere from 4500-4700 rpm WOT. I just didnt allow the rpms go up fast from take-off not allowing the secondaries to open until youre doing almost 30 mph (If I recall correctly). It just felt like there was no slippage at take-off to allow the engine to put out some HP with some RPM behind it. The other props allow the engine to rev up to 3200 rpm immediately on take-off.
64 Skier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 64 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-14-2006 at 8:33pm
Probably pick up 5 Free HP getting that prop to turn freely. I work in a business that frequently aligns very large engines/generators or tranny's or even high speed turbines to gear boxes and the Engineers always talk about the incredible amount of HP wasted in misalignment.

Those rough spots...or the place where you have to set down the beer so you can double up and turn the prop...send a harmonic all the way from your Flex Plate into the Harmonic balancer making your engine work harder.

These guy's who specialize in alignments all say the same thing...they don't care what the runouts are or feeler gauge work said prior to assembly...you have to turn them by hand (post assembly) to get a feel for what's wrong. It's amazing science but a huge gearbox can be turned by hand and if even a small imperfection is present, you can feel it when rotating by hand.

I had one that the idle speed increased after we aligned it...not much...but noticeable...it even rattled the flex plate and this boat had been "aligned" by a Marina with the PO. New CC's are very well aligned so someone at the Factory knows what they are doing and how important it is. (Not wanting to rant...and I own a new CC also...but I always hear new owners complain about a st*tch in a seam being off or some other trivial BS and although we pay a lot of money when you look at all the really cool design in these boats I quickly shut-up, start the engine and enjoy...better not to sweat the samll stuff) The alignement is not small stuff IMHO.

Turn the Tranny by hand with the prop shaft disconnected. Now turn the prop shaft by hand while disconnected. Simply stated, when you connect them there should be no great difference in the feel.
64 Skier
71CC
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JEFF KOSTIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-14-2006 at 8:39pm
    64 skier I agree 100%! My final alignment I did by had by turning the shaft for the least resistance(less side tourque ang running true center) in the strut.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-15-2006 at 6:20am
J_I_H I would stop to adjust the screws but I'm going to fine tune it some more by hand now. Good info 64

Jeff it sounds like you have a ACME 540, I use it on my boat and it is my understanding that it is used with the gear reduction tranny's 1.23:1 on mid 80's and up? and it is usually to much prop for 351 and 1:1 tranny. with the cup it has it more like 12.5 X 17 w/o cup
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim_In_Houston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-15-2006 at 8:02am
Originally posted by 64 Skier 64 Skier wrote:

Turn the Tranny by hand with the prop shaft disconnected. Now turn the prop shaft by hand while disconnected. Simply stated, when you connect them there should be no great difference in the feel.

Excellent 64. Thanks!!!!
jameski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jameski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-15-2006 at 8:59am
I have found that when I turn the prop and shaft by hand while the coupling is not connected, I get more resistance than when it is connected. The unsupported wieght of the forward end of the shaft and coupling puts the shaft in a bind in the strut bearing. But, the bottom line is, there should be very little resistance to rotation when it is properly aligned (and the strut bearing and shaft packing gland are wet).

BTW, the ACME 540 is 13" dia, 12" pitch, 1" bore, .080 cup.
current boat
94 Sport Nautique
previous boat
78 Martinique
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-15-2006 at 9:11am
sorry ment 470
64 Skier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 64 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-15-2006 at 11:22pm
jameski....your strut bearing should not have that much play. Mine was new when I did the alignment and I don't recall any vertical play in the strut bearing. In fact the drive shaft had little or no resistance when disconnected and would slide down (very fast)all on it's own weight into the rudder if we weren't carefull.
64 Skier
71CC
jameski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jameski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-16-2006 at 4:06am
I was working with a new shaft 1.000" and a new A R E strut bearing manufactured with inside diameter 1.008" - 4 thousandths clearance all the way around the shaft for a layer of water. The bearing is NOT "snug" on the shaft. There IS play. You can barely feel it (if you have perfect shaft alignment).

Maybe other strut bearings are manufactured with zero clearance, but A R E bearings (from SkiDIM) are not.
current boat
94 Sport Nautique
previous boat
78 Martinique
trikeaholic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trikeaholic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-16-2006 at 6:37pm
Originally posted by Jim_In_Houston Jim_In_Houston wrote:

Hey Stang, yeh. I just got a new EICO 1950ish Vintage AF-4 Single Ended Stereo. I opened the box and found the amp still in factory plastic wrap - never opened. More old cr*p to go with the rest of my old cr*p. But I love it. (If a radio doesn't have tubes in it it just ain't worth havin'.)

Thanks for the offer on the Federal props - I think I'm going to look for a new OJ. Send me $315 + $12 for shipping and I'll send you a new ACME 540 in the factory box.

same for my boat as I would order from skidim? I will take it!
mt91397@yahoo.com
1980 Ski Nautique
Ithaca NY
My Boat
stang72 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stang72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-16-2006 at 6:47pm
Jim...tubes and that lovely analog thing! I play around with old tube guitar amps! Yep...if it doesn't have tubes it resides elsewhere!

540...it's on the buy list after a few other things...(a trade would have interested me now though )...so I will pass...go for it Trike!
stang

Face plants are not that funny when it's you face!

The Super Air

882001 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 882001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-16-2006 at 7:25pm
can i get a tube amp for my sub in my boat?
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JEFF KOSTIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-16-2006 at 7:33pm
    Can you pull a tube (amp) behind you??
stang72 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stang72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-17-2006 at 6:21am
Oh sure...you can USE a tube amp in your boat , as long as you don't plan to be near any water!
Pull it behind a boat??? I guess you would be trolling for J-I-H or myself.
stang

Face plants are not that funny when it's you face!

The Super Air

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
  Share Topic