NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

winter project update

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: winter project update
    Posted: January-02-2006 at 7:40pm
Been a little slow on the boards lately so i thought I'd update everyone on my interior job.

Everything is now covered, all I have left to do is make up the new wood for the armrests and cover them. I decided to replace all the wood, some was not that bad but had a mold smell so I scraped it all.

Sorta fun project but I'm glad it's over. Boat gets moved to my work warehouse in the next few weeks so I can get it warm enough to glue the Navy Blue carpet down, then off to my buddies bodyshop for a full buff out, fix a few gelcoat chips and repaint the stripes. Thanks to everyone here for all the great info on getting these things done.
PS. Hats off to Bruce and his crew at Midwest Correct Craft for their superb work on the skins.
You can’t change the wind but you can adjust your sails
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-03-2006 at 7:16am
I thought a girl next door to Mid-West did the skins for them?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-03-2006 at 7:40am
79, That may be correct. Bruce kept talking about "his Girl" and I just assumed it was in house. In any case, you can tell she's done a bunch of these. They were concerned about the stripes because there are four sections to each seat and they didn't think they could get them all to line up. There are almost no 90 degree corners on all the seat pieces, everything is off just a little to follow the boat lines and that makes it a little tricky to assemble. Then I had to get the tops and bottoms to line up as well so needless to say I did unstaple a few times to get it right but by the last seat I got the hang of it.

I originally got a price of $3000 to have a shop do the entire job, wood and all, and thought that was high but after seeing what goes into something like this I have a new respect for someone who makes a living doing this.
NAUTI84 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NAUTI84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-03-2006 at 8:10am
Hey Alan,
If ya don't mind me asking,
can you give me a ballpark on what the skins ran you?
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-03-2006 at 8:52am
Alan, I got mine from them as well and they do a real nice job. I didn't have all of the wood pieces before I started and I was able to use the skins a pattern for them and it turned out real nice. It cost me around a grand for the skins and foam.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-03-2006 at 9:17am
Hey Scott,

The skins ran me $950. Your boat interior looks similar to mine. They quoted $800 until they saw the extra work involved in mine and they did not have the patterns but I still think it was a good deal. If you're serious about doing skins order them soon, they have quite a backlog of work.

I see you're from Rehobeth, I spent my first 30 years back east in Pawtucket, RI. Used to ski in Winicunett and Sebatia in Taunton, brought back memories when that damn almost let go this fall, that would have drained my old skiing hole.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-03-2006 at 11:48am
Alan, beautiful job on that interior. Your boat will look brand new by spring!

If you dont mind me asking, was that $3000 quote for the interior including carpet? I am in the process of getting quotes for my interior now. I will be going with original CC skins also, most likely from White Lake Marine (~$2250). I have a quote of $1200 for the installation of the interior- that is for supplying the foam and installing the vinyl only. The interior on my '90 has a few more pieces than your boat- does that seem like a reasonable price on the install?

I am afraid what the total quote will be once the carpet + install is added to that number!
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-03-2006 at 12:27pm
It looks great. All your quotes look cheap to me. In CA, I'd expect the quote to be twice that much. BKH
Livin' the Dream

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-03-2006 at 1:02pm
TRbenj,

The $3000 quote was for new skins, foam and all wood. I had to remove and reinstall in the boat but that's the easy part.

Here's basically what I spent to get this far:

$950 for new skins from MWCC
$290 for new carpet From MWCC
$60 for new carpet mould and aluminun trim for engine cover
$80+- for foam, I only replaced the back seat and coaming pad foam, You can expect to spend $200-$300 for foam for an entire boat.
$60+- for plywood 4sheets 5/8 and 1 sheet 3/8
$100 +- for stainless staples, plastic sheeting to wrap all foam, waterproof wood glue,contact cement, resin and glass, I applied resin and glassed all the outside corners on the new wood frames.

I'm guessing I spent $1500 so far on it.

Make sure you have the time if your going to do it yourself. I will have 80 hours into it from start to finish incuding making all the frames.

BKH, That's why I live in the midwest, I'm too cheap to live in California
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-03-2006 at 2:05pm
Thanks for the breakdown, that helps alot. Perhaps my quote is not so bad, but hopefully the carpet will run a little less. All the small things certainly add up on a big project like this!

It certainly looks like you spent 80 hrs on that interior, job well done.
surroundsound64 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote surroundsound64 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-03-2006 at 2:57pm
Wow! Looks AWESOME Alan. I hope mine come out looking that good! We still haven't decided exactly how we want the guy to do it, origional style, or like you have done with 1 stripe down the middle instead of the 2 stripe things on each seat.

Again, that looks awesome!
1981 Ski Nautique
2000 SAN

Looking for a 2000-2006 SAN
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-03-2006 at 3:11pm
Hey Surround,

Thanks man. Yeah took me a while to decide what to do, there are a lot of boats to browse through in the diaries for ideas. I wanted to keep it looking somewhat 80s but it definatley needed an update from the solid blue. I put the pouch back on the back of the captain seat to keep it a little dated though.

How did those dimensions for the spotter seat work out? I saw your boat photos on PN and looks like your spotter seat was about 3" taller than it should be. Mine still covers the Ski Nautique emblem though.
surroundsound64 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote surroundsound64 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-03-2006 at 6:13pm
Originally posted by 81nautique 81nautique wrote:

Hey Surround,

I put the pouch back on the back of the captain seat to keep it a little dated though.

How did those dimensions for the spotter seat work out? I saw your boat photos on PN and looks like your spotter seat was about 3" taller than it should be. Mine still covers the Ski Nautique emblem though.

I saw the pocket, I think I'll probably do that too. Good place to store the loose junk, that clutters the already limited space, up.

The dimensions are great! It'll be a few weeks before all of it is finished though. Then as you said, we plan on giving it some new paint, or a sticker, or something. It is WAY faded, and when I wash the boat, the brown runs! hehe.

Oh, and it sounds like you got a good deal on the price. Everyone I have gotten estimates from are tellin me around $2000 for all new skins. Well, wood, some foam, and skins.
1981 Ski Nautique
2000 SAN

Looking for a 2000-2006 SAN
JEFF KOSTIS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JEFF KOSTIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-03-2006 at 6:54pm
Learning from mistakes, if you have some extra $$$, its always a good idea to purchase extra skin and keep it sealed up in a tube when reskinning an entire boat. They always seem to change textures/colors on the skin. If for some reason a seat rips in a few years, and they discontinue your skin, you wont be left hanging or having a odd look
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic