Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Need to watch those wheels!

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
pswann View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pswann Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Need to watch those wheels!
    Posted: November-03-2005 at 5:14pm
The nut was the only thing left when I got back from the house. No inner race outer race, no bearings, grease seal just hanging and I didnt feel a thing. It was a new hub so I think there may have been some spindle damage before. I am glad I didnt loose the wheel! Just finished installing a new 3500 lb axle complete with bearing buddies.

6strings View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6strings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-04-2005 at 10:30am
Pswann,

I am planning on replacing the axle on my cc trailer as well. I had a bearing failure that scarred up the spindle some. Seems to be o.k. but I don't trust it. Do you mind advising where you got the new axle?
pswann View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pswann Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-04-2005 at 11:10am
Glad you asked! These guys are better than shirt pockets. I got the axle, u bolt set, bearing buddies and shipping for 150 total including tax. I think that is real cheap compared to magnum trailers.

http://www.etrailerpart.com/

They got it out the same day and I had it the next. I have to take the ups tag and shipping tag off it so I may click a picture and post it just so you can see it.
Bill336 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill336 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-04-2005 at 11:25am
I bought my cla** V trailer hitch from etrailerpart and they were fast and cheap. I was very impressed with them.
pswann View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pswann Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-04-2005 at 6:56pm
Does this look beefier or what! I am pleased with it. Havent bounced it around yet but will Sunday when I do an engine alignment.

woodyelc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote woodyelc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-05-2005 at 12:43pm
THAT TRAILER NEEDS SPRINGS AND YOU NEED TO WELD THE SPRING PLATE TO THE AXLE.
woodyelc
pswann View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pswann Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-05-2005 at 5:41pm
On the to do list. Had to get it together to take it to get it welded. The springs work fine. Thanks for the part, whats your email address?
6strings View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6strings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-07-2005 at 10:54am
I don't get it. Why does it have to be welded, and what's wrong with the springs? Thanks!

pswann View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pswann Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-07-2005 at 8:33pm
I will answer the welding part and wait for woody to tell why the springs need to be replaced.

The spring plate keeps the axle from spinning when your driving. All I need to do is have it tacked so it wont spin. I will get it welded when I drive by a welder. Maybe it is because the springs are old. Everything on this boat is old. Check out the mounts!

But a wire wheel and some cleaning and you still have life in the old parts.

6strings View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6strings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-08-2005 at 7:19am
Nice! I understand now about the axle turning. In fact, your old axle, and my axle, is square so the welding wouldn't be necessary if replacing with another square one???

I really need to put some time and money into my trailer. I hope to strip it, sand blast, replace the axle and the bunks, and paint it this spring.
pswann View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pswann Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-08-2005 at 7:28am
Welding the plate will be cheap. Finding a square axle, I didnt even see one on my searches. You can tell from my pics that the round axle is much beefier than the square one. A 150 dollar fix in the boating world is a cheap fix. Since it is such a small trailer it shouldnt take you too long.
woodyelc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote woodyelc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-09-2005 at 9:18am
THE SPRINGS HAVE LOST THE ARCH WHICH GIVES YOU THE SOFT RIDE. YOU LOSE THE MOVEMENT OF THE SPRING HANGER. THE ORGINAL AXLE WAS A SOLID BAR OF STEEL THAT HAD THE SPINDLE MACHINED ON THE END. THAT AXLE WAS RATED AT 3500 LBS. THE MOUNTS LOOKED GOOD AFTER YOU CLEANED THEM. DON'T FORGET TO REPLACE THE RUBBER BUSHING IT HELPS KEEP THE MOUNT STABLE SO THE ALIGNMENT WILL NOT CHANGE. MAKE SURE YOU ALIGN THE MOTOR WHEN YOU ARE DONE WITH THE MOUNTS.
woodyelc
Bob's2001 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob's2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-09-2005 at 4:47pm
Where can I get the bushings for the trans & motor mounts? I have seen the whole mount for sale but not just bushings.
Bob Ed
83 2001
markb View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote markb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-09-2005 at 4:54pm
woodyelc, good info there.

One suggestion..

caps lock off! :-)

79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-10-2005 at 11:22am
also there is a e-clip/snap ring missing that holds the bushing in place and from poping out the top like the old one did.
Stan C View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stan C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-10-2005 at 9:26pm
Bob"s 2001
I recently rebuilt all 4 of the engine and trans mounts on my boat and was able to get all the bushings, nuts and washers direct from PCM.
Stan C
S.T. View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote S.T. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-17-2005 at 11:17am
pswann,

What kind of boat/trailer is that? On my trailer (1986 Ski Nautique) the axle mounts on top of the springs and dips down in the middle so the tracking fins can clear. If I used that axle, I'd have a "monster trailer", hung-up tracking fins, or possibly both.

...just curious. I don't know what I'd do if my spindles needed replacing.
pswann View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pswann Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-17-2005 at 11:40am
76 tique, this axle increased height by 1.5 inch. Keep your bearings in good shape and you wont have to replace the spindle.
Bob's2001 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob's2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-17-2005 at 1:32pm
StanC, Thanks for the info. I found them at Palmer Power in Houston. They are a Velvet Drive dealer.
Bob Ed
83 2001
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic