Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

learning to trick ski

Post Reply Post Reply Page   123>
Author
skierox View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skierox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: learning to trick ski
    Posted: January-26-2015 at 12:40am
Great to see that video about Ken White. Tricks has always been my favorite 3 event choice for competition. I started out on two around 1968. We never used the tach, always the air guides through the years. I am currently on a 42 Kidder Red Line. Love the ski. Grew up also skiing on EP and Saucer tricks.

Most do this for fun. Back in the 70's and 80's Tricks were huge. Bread and butter for Correct Craft. Awesome table and wakes behind the 2001's which is what I continue to use.

On two, most skiers around 16 mph and 18 for one. I would have to measure my trick rope. Precise location to the wake is huge. I even have a knot in my rope to get the right on the table.

BTW skier, in a tournament gets two 20 second passes. when you fall, you go to the next pass. Fall sometime on the second pass, you are done for the day in tricks unless you are awarded a re-ride.

I currently only trick on one. I am teaching my daughter "little skierox" how to trick. We plan to compete in a least two tournaments this summer.

SWANY View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SWANY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-25-2015 at 1:00pm
Very cool.

I should be able to do all that by my second time out
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-25-2015 at 12:30pm
This video has some great 2 ski trick skiing about 1 minute in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWYgGLDDWCA
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-24-2015 at 3:39pm
Catching air on turns off the wake is a separate trick. The skis will slide just fine otherwise, those are called surface turns. Ankle flex happens on its own, just take care of the knees like those guys said.
SWANY View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SWANY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-24-2015 at 1:27pm
180 or 360's are you "jumping" to turn? HW's videos look like the skis really slide easily on turns... Doesn't look like they're jumping. Riding backwards do you tilt your ankles or is it natural with how the ski rides
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-24-2015 at 1:19pm
Originally posted by Tim D Tim D wrote:

[QUOTE=phatsat67] I can ride a single just fine but I've tried backwards on a single about 1000 times and always end up with my face smacking the water. I like around 18 on a single.

When you do a 180 or 360 don't look down at the water. Hold your head up and look at the horizon or the top of the trees and keep both knees bent.

That and keep the knees bent- we tend to straighten up while turning which will definitely kill it. That and keep the handle close. A simple rotation of the handle close to the waist than any big shoulder heavy movement. Handle close, lead the rotation with the hips, and don't straighten up.
2000 SN GT40 w/99 Graphics/Gel
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI
https://forum.fifteenoff.com

Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-23-2015 at 11:31pm
[QUOTE=phatsat67] I can ride a single just fine but I've tried backwards on a single about 1000 times and always end up with my face smacking the water. I like around 18 on a single.

When you do a 180 or 360 don't look down at the water. Hold your head up and look at the horizon or the top of the trees and keep both knees bent.
Tim D
SWANY View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SWANY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-23-2015 at 2:29pm
Originally posted by quinner quinner wrote:

Joel, anytime you want to take a ride north, come on up, boats are always on the lift, lake is private so conditions are typically pretty darn good. We are just a couple miles east of Fox Lake.

Chris i will definitely take you up on that. Hows the home remodel going? That can always be my excuse to the wife "chris needs help"
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-23-2015 at 12:30pm
Joel, anytime you want to take a ride north, come on up, boats are always on the lift, lake is private so conditions are typically pretty darn good. We are just a couple miles east of Fox Lake.
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-23-2015 at 12:12pm
Hollywood, you're a little different than the rest of us, but you still make it look like fun. You should have heard Todd narrating your every move. They must give him the mike at his ski shows.
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-23-2015 at 12:11pm
I can ride a single just fine but I've tried backwards on a single about 1000 times and always end up with my face smacking the water. I like around 18 on a single.

My friend in college Kayla was ranked like 2 nationally in collegiate girls at the time. She could only flip behind the old 2001 (shows you they focused on trick wake). I had a muscle bound douche buddy (best college friend haha) that would right the rope and hold it for her trick release when she was doing toe hold stuff. Quite impressive considering most of us can only go backwards sometimes haha.
SWANY View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SWANY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-23-2015 at 12:04pm
I'm in for all thats been suggested. Reality is these get togethers are Really about the only times I'll get to ski. Except my week vacation end of July up north. I tend to take the boat out by myself maybe if I'm lucky I'll find one other person.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-23-2015 at 11:53am
Airguides are reliable as long as you have functioning pitots. I have plenty of fruit loops we can put one on either or both skis.

Not serious? Lol.
I've got a 600 point trick run in the bag and working on line steps for the second pass. Bruce is right though, you don't need to take it seriously. I can tell you this though, competition trick skiing is tiring. I'm huffing and puffing after a timed pass.
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-23-2015 at 11:53am
What's cool about tricks is they're just totally fun. No seriousness about them.
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-23-2015 at 11:36am
Originally posted by SWANY SWANY wrote:

I'm curious if ill be bored early on with not finding a set with a slalom sleeve, but these were a steal at $45 imo. I couldn't find anything under $100

Hard to go wrong for $45 and every ski boat needs a set of doubles, they're great fun to mess around with after you get your serious skiing in. I almost always trick after a couple of slalom sets.

You could find the rear toe for those for probably pretty cheap, it's just a loop and a piece of skid tape. Enjoy the doubles because they are fun, a single is a completely different animal. We need to get you down to the river this spring, also try to get to Clinton when we announce the date because you can give Todd W a look, he and Joel H are pretty good slalom trickers and you'll run into both sometime over the summer.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-23-2015 at 11:33am
Yeah HW does trick faster than most, I'm surprised that 2100 is what you ask for- that's probably no more than 19. I thought it was more. You do prefer a longer line too... 15-22 off vs. 28-22 off.

Swany, you won't get bored on double tricks quickly unless you are some sort of phenom... Check out hw's YouTube vids for inspiration.
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-23-2015 at 11:14am
Originally posted by DHart DHart wrote:

I prefer 18-20. Tom had me going wide open behind the sporty last summer at 15off. That was kind of fun too.

You're taking after your Polish uncle. I had him going wide open on tricks behind the Century with just the white rope one time. Wish I had a picture.

Hollywood, you do go faster than most and have a great routine. I wish we had video of you tricking behind the Mustang last summer with UT narrating your run. I still can't figure out how you ski forward with one ski pointing forward and the other pointing backward. You must be double jointed.

We've always tricked a little bit in our family, but since taking part in the tricking runs at the Benjamin's, Dave has collected enough trick skis for everyone in the family and now pulling multiple trick skiers is almost a daily occurance. I imagine all 5 of us will be behind the boat altogether this summer.
SWANY View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SWANY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-23-2015 at 11:11am
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

I am basing my speed off the tach, usually around 2,100 rpm. I feel like perhaps I'm forgetting that under 30mph revs are higher than speed, so maybe it is more like 18-20?

But just like anything else longer=faster and shorter=slower

Why are you basing it off the tach, are the air glides that unreliable?
I'm curious if ill be bored early on with not finding a set with a slalom sleeve, but these were a steal at $45 imo. I couldn't find anything under $100
DHart View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DHart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-23-2015 at 11:03am
I prefer 18-20. Tom had me going wide open behind the sporty last summer at 15off. That was kind of fun too.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-23-2015 at 10:52am
I am basing my speed off the tach, usually around 2,100 rpm. I feel like perhaps I'm forgetting that under 30mph revs are higher than speed, so maybe it is more like 18-20?

But just like anything else longer=faster and shorter=slower
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-23-2015 at 10:30am
Most tourney trickers are somewhere around 18-19, and that's on ONE ski! You guys are hauling a$$ with 2 skis! 14M/28off usually puts you in the table, adjusting +/- 3 feet depending on the boat.
2000 SN GT40 w/99 Graphics/Gel
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI
https://forum.fifteenoff.com

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-23-2015 at 7:47am
Nice tricks!

Speed is definitely personal preference... At 195 I prefer 18-19.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-23-2015 at 2:14am
Put me down for Quinners too, no iceberg runs though
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
IAughtNaut View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IAughtNaut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-23-2015 at 2:08am
you can't go wrong with pink

I tend to be a little slower than HW, I like about 18-20, of course, he's better than me so listen to him, especially about finding what you like best
bring the ruckus
2000 Pro Air
SWANY View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SWANY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-23-2015 at 1:42am
Sounds good. I'm pretty excited about getting them. Guy said he maybe used them 5 times, bindings are I great shape!
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-23-2015 at 1:39am
Experiment with what you like best but I ride around 20-22 mph @ 22/28' off. Nice skis! Bring them up to quinner's we'll have a day.
SWANY View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SWANY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-23-2015 at 1:07am
I've been keeping my eyes out for a set of trick skis for awhile now as I want to learn and play around with them. Picked these up for $45 on CL, they should be alright for beginners right? what's the best speed and line length? I'm about 195-205 lbs
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-08-2014 at 7:38pm

Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-04-2014 at 5:34pm
I have been using adjustables. Good points on the knees, thanks for sharing your experience Alan and for that reason I intentionally used "low" wraps. I'm really just trying to get some lateral ankle support, not necessarily more hold down. Hard to get the first without the latter though. The green VIPs actually had non-skid under the heels. Full foam foot pads alone would go a long way to keeping my heels from slipping, and minimizing foot cramping.

HO notoriously have tall footbeds, so wrap looks high but it is low relative to the ankle.

Seems like a little ankle support wasn't all that uncommon back in the day, before everyone blew out their knees and switched to flimsier bindings! I quit wakeboarding for several reasons, my knees being the top priority, mainly to extend my jumping career, which is currently limited by the knees. We'll see how this goes.

These are hot!

(fyi, it is Big Cat Week on NatGeo Wild)
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-03-2014 at 8:14pm
Originally posted by Riley Riley wrote:

Do you really want them locked onto your feet when skiing with 2? Seems like you could hurt your knee.

That's why I was asking, I put new wraps on my doubles and it's the worse thing I ever did. If you fall wrong and that ski doesn't come off it hyperextends the knee. I've partially torn both MCL's so they are coming off. I just need to find something adjustable to replace them with.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   123>
  Share Topic