NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1997 SN Soft Floor

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123>
Author
KRoundy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KRoundy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-13-2011 at 3:20am
Oh, and I think I have a source for those screws! Let me have a look for you and I'll let you know. I know exactly which screws you are talking about. I have a labeled baggie full of them.
Previous: 1993 Electric Blue/Charcoal Ski Nautique
Current: 2016 Ski Nautique 200 Open Bow
KRoundy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KRoundy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-13-2011 at 3:13am
Well crud. I'm glad that you are paving the way for me.
Rough 1993 Ski soft floor

I have some new questions:

1. How do you know the rest of your foam isn't wet where you have not cut out the floor?

2. What are you using to cut out the floor? I did my small cut with a razor blade, but that's not a process that will work for much more than a small area.

3. I notice that you are not cutting out the floor on top of the stringers. I agree with this concept since the floor is attached to the top of the stringer. How are you going to lay down fiberglass in those holes you have cut and "reattach"?

4. Those of your suggesting "sanding in", what type of sanding are you talking about? Is this sandpaper? A tool of some sort?

That's enough questions for now. I'm going to go get a beer and wait for replies.
AussieNorts View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AussieNorts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-13-2011 at 1:08am
Kevin,

I have not removed any material other than the foam, the matt may have been roughed up a bit when removing the foam but not that much. I believe the glass has deterioated due to the moisture. The area is not soft I have not done the tap test as yet. I believe i will just sand back to good material and re matt and glass, pour the foam and get the hell out of there!!!! You are so right Mark I just want to take it to the lake!!!

Mark I have mentioned before that my partners family are all from Tamworth, I believe we are meant to come down for christmas , maybe we could catch up. Was thinking of putting the boat on a train down there so I can go ride on keepit.

Correct craft.....is there any other boat?
KRoundy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KRoundy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-12-2011 at 8:16pm
storm34, any idea what should a naked 1993 Ski Nautique hull should weigh? My carpet is out now, so if I'm going to do this now is the time. I'd rather not tear out the floor, but these photos have me rethinking my strategy. I got a 1993 because I didn't want to do a huge fiberglass job.

storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-12-2011 at 6:37pm
Kevin, I'm in the same situation as you on this topic and have been following closely. I'm sure many fins have been dropped on our floor creating soft spots in high traffic places. My plan is to do as listed above for the entire floor, then refoam and use glass, mat and Biax.

I'll wait a few years till we need to replace carpet but would like to weigh the boat in the mean time to see if she's overweight.

KRoundy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KRoundy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-12-2011 at 6:22pm
Maybe it is just me, but is that really delamination? Or, is that an area you cut out? I am just wondering where the material went. I see fibers lying there, but that's the way things look from a cut-gun I think. Is the area "soft" or does it just look bad. What does the tap-test tell you is going on?

You are making me weak in the knees. I sure hope that I don't have to do this to my 1993 Ski.
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-12-2011 at 5:10pm
Yes on the epoxy.

Going on Mark's(Lewy) comments, I'd button it up as well. Then you can plan for next winter because a floor/stringer project sucks when every day is nicer than the last, and it's not a project that lends itself to being in a hurry.

Are the stringers sound? And if you do button it up, it'll be interesting to see if you have a list.
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AussieNorts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-12-2011 at 7:50am
OK So i have taken a couple more pics for you to show the delamination, what I have taken today is the other side of the cross member, in the smaller hole in the first picture i posted of the floor. This are is delaminated alot worse than in the other hole towards the stern. This area has a small hole i suppose under the cross member that i have shown by sticking my finger into.

Hope these make it clearer:

Thankyou again for all the help and comments on here you guys are great, well I hope i only still have to grind off the bad material and re lay I should use epoxy mat and resin to do this? Thanks again

Steve
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AussieNorts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-11-2011 at 8:52pm
Where the `egg or pimple` as you mention is in these picture is where i noticed mooisture under the glass. I have to post another picture showing the delamination better. I hope this is all i need to do, if the water has gotten underneath the `crossmembers` where else would it have gotten into. I hope these pics help anyone with soft floor in a 93+ boat. There can be trouble under there. I will take some more pics and post tonight when i get home. Thanks again for all the input on here guys i truly appreciate it.

I have pulled my windshield apart and had it all powder coated at my work, came up great!! I am having trouble sourcing new screws for the windshield

I have taken some pics of the screw:

Does anyone here think they could help me source these screws in black, neally impossible for me to source in Australia. I hope someone can help me.

I will post tonight when home guys.
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-11-2011 at 8:06pm
I 2nd on Chris suggestion. Remove the delam removing minimal material in a circular pattern by taper sanding as best as you can. Tap test the area with a heavy coin or end of a folded up pocket knife to be sure you've got it all. A dull thud means you still have delam in there. layer up the repair with the smallest ply first then get bigger as you go over lapping the prior one. Doing this ensures multiple layers adhering to the hull instead of just one.

Lewy looks to me like it's the "egg" or "pimple" in the picture is his delamination.
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
Liledgy View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Liledgy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-11-2011 at 12:10pm
Great pics, and +1 on the wooden stringers.
lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-11-2011 at 10:54am
Steve I cant see the delamination clearly in those pictures I can see what appears to be a air bubble in the original layup around what you are calling "cross members". Just grind that out and any other soft parts around it. Then re apply some more resin and matt.

You have probably dug in deeper than you wanted to already with our season approaching fast. I guess you could remove the complete floor and foam but I would be closing up (Do a tool count first ) and sending the patient to recover in a warm enviroment. Bring on summer
If you're going through hell, keep going

89 Ski

<a href="http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5685" ta
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-11-2011 at 10:24am
Steven - Good thing you don't have wood stringers!

You can just grind the delamination & build the glass back up to thickness.

This is an example of how a snall spot on the surface can lead to a big mess underneath.

Good luck
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AussieNorts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-11-2011 at 7:29am
Guys,

Well I have finally had to look further under the floor as there was still some water there seeping through the foam. I have cut holes along the main stringer between it and the secondary. F}Refer to this picture of the two holes.

The next images show down under the floor at the ends where i have dug out the foam right o=up to the `crossmembers` (sorry not sure what else to call them, they seem to rum between the main and secoudary. Anyway down under there where the water has been sitting it has penetrated the glass, I have delamination on part of one cross member, the glass has has soften in areas under there. I am not sure what to do now. I hope masters with the knowledge here would like to chime in. Here are the other pics.

I hope the pics explain a little of what i am going through, not very good at the moment, I am going to seek some help, I think the repairs are now going to be major right?
KRoundy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KRoundy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-06-2011 at 12:44am
Sounds good. Keep us informed as you progress. Keep posting pictures for those of us learning as you go. :)
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AussieNorts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-05-2011 at 1:53am
Tim,

No more water seems ed seep from the foam, I have dug forward and aft of the hole as far as I can, seem to have hit some cross members. I noticed a little moisture the next morning, I just vac it up and then hit the area with heat gun for about ten minutes, I am going to keep the area open to air out for at least 5 days. Then I am going to pour the foam and patch, hope this is all good as I want to get the new carpet in.
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-03-2011 at 11:10am
Steve, I think you're on the right track. Glad you took the advice here and dug deeper. Has any more water seeped through the foam as it sits? Is the new foam pourable I guess? If not then you could always cram pieces of those 'pool noodles' in there and fill the gap with the foam in a can.

I'd work on the hole you cut into a form it to more of an oval shape and then bevel the edges so when you lay down your new glass you have a simple shape to follow and so the repair will lay down into the removed portion like a 'plug'.
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AussieNorts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-02-2011 at 11:39pm
So I dug deeper this morning and there was more water down by the hull, i sucked it all out and then dug out the foam to the stringers on the sides and forward and back till I hit a cross member. There water seemed to be contained to that compartment as I dug next the the cross member and there was no water.

So I am thinking I will let this dry out and then pour the foam and patch up, you think I am doing this right guys? Sure do not want to have to go back down there to fix anything.

Steve
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-31-2011 at 3:05pm
What does everyone think of running some biaxle on the floor for additional support?

I'm planning to do carpet in the 96 at some point in the next year or two and thought it would provide some additional support to what seems like a pretty thin floor.
lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-31-2011 at 9:03am
They are fibreglass stringers so definitely do not cut into them. I would remove the foam up against them on both sides leaving the hole in the foam between them. This picture from the 93 brochure should give you an idea what is below the floor. The more I look at your previous pictures I think what happened is that something was dropped onto the floor that punctured the fiberglass skin over the foam allowing water to enter from the top. It still may be worth delving deeper but that is up to you.

89 Ski

Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AussieNorts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-31-2011 at 2:13am
Also i can not make it a larger hole as there seems to be stringers either side of the current hole i have cut, if i cut wider i will cut into those, any thoughts?
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AussieNorts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-31-2011 at 2:12am
Hey Mark,

I looked on the cans but they didn`t have any specs on desity or water resistance, it actually said moisture needed to cure, so i suspect that the foam will absorb water, I am going to get pour in foam from a chandlery on Saturday. So dig all the way down to the hull hey? The foam i have dug down too seems firm and not wet but if yous think to keep digging i will, wow i hope this doesn`t turn into something huge!!!
lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-31-2011 at 12:39am
Steve I would make it a much larger round hole and go right down to the floor as Chris suggested.

This should give you more of an idea on the condition of the foam around the soft spot and the amount of water you have under the floor.

Do those cans at Bunnings have any specs on them?

89 Ski

storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-30-2011 at 11:02pm
If it were me, I would open up the hole to a circle as mentioned above by Tim Morfoot. Yes, this will make a bigger opening, but it will be easier to patch once you start putting everything back together.

The I'd dig down and see if there is standing water down by the hull. If there isn't, then go ahead and fill the void with two part foam (I'd get it from Jamestown Dist.) and cover it back up.

...If there's a bunch of water then you're in uncharted territory! I'd hate to hear you say there's a bunch of water because I've got a small soft spot from ski fins in our 96!
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AussieNorts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-30-2011 at 10:47pm
Sorry to hassle guys, as I know there is a reunion going on, but does anyone have any thoughts on my next step here?
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AussieNorts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-28-2011 at 9:00pm
Guys,

I have succumbed to curiosity and cut into the floor, after i did i was glad i chose to. Upon cutting the hole in the glass floor there was a considerable amount of water under the floor, i used a wet vac and sucked all the water i could , then i removed all foam i thought to be a little rotted or wet. I have left open the the area the help dry out for a few days, any advise from here on in? I bought a can of expandable foam from bunnings in Australia(lilke your Lowes) but i think this expandale foam may not be the best for what i want, not dense enough and not really for marine application, i think i should use the pour in foam but i have a very small are to fill like maybe two fist sizes. I have attached some pice for viewing. Please anyone with an idea as to where to go from here would be great, awaiting your replies.

The hole in floor

when pushed on the water coming up through the foam

after i removed the foam from under the floor

some foam i removed
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-21-2011 at 10:46am
Steven, if you do decide to remove the damaged glass DON'T do it in a rectangular fashion but circular (i'm thinking maybe the size of a saucer). Once the damage is removed taper sand the edges (or bevel)and when you finished with foaming then go back with the cloth resin repair.

Using circles instead of rectangles not only makes the job easier it's a stronger repair as there aren't any corners to create a concentrated stress point and a corner is where it's going to crack first.

Slightly increase the size of each ply going from smallest first to largest last with the last ply being about an 2 inches larger than the prior one. You 'll have better repair as the final layer has more parent surface to adhere to. Also with circular repairs, you won't have the corners lift up, snag on something and rip the repair off.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-21-2011 at 8:27am
One more thing - the foam can create quite a lot of pressure. Inject the foam, lay a piece of plastic over the holes, cover with a piece of wood and weigh it down until it cures.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-21-2011 at 8:23am
I'd just drill a couple of small holes and inject the foam. Then, yes a small glass patch.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AussieNorts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-21-2011 at 8:19am
Pete, Hi again and thanks for the reply, I know about not opening it up, but do you think it is ok to cut the floor in that position? Do I just use the same matting and resin i used on the muffler to reapair the floor if i cut it?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123>
  Share Topic