Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Dash Panel

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
YooperSully View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YooperSully Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dash Panel
    Posted: April-26-2010 at 11:02am
I see that a few people have remade the plastic piece on the dash that the indicator lights go into. I was wondering if any of you have a CAD file for it? I'd like to bring it to a local shop and get one of these made out of billet on their CNC machine.
87' 2001
OverMyHead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-26-2010 at 11:30am
Roger, I cannot offer much help, but would like to replace mine on an 87. Maybe a volume discount.
For thousands of years men have felt the irresistible urge to go to sea, and many of them died. Things got better after they invented boats.
1987 Ski Nautique

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-26-2010 at 11:41am
Originally posted by YooperSully YooperSully wrote:

I'd like to bring it to a local shop and get one of these made out of billet on their CNC machine.

Roger,
Maybe you should have the machine shop start with some heavier gauge sheet rather than a billet. Then they won't need to machine so much and you won't need to deal with the machining marks left on the face.

Definition of a "billet": A section of metal used for rolling into bars, rods and sections."

Some nice 8 gauge (.128") would be stiff enough and still give you room for the lettering. You could even get it with a pre "brushed" finish.

The aftermarket world started to use the term "billet" when they started to CNC machine complicated heavy parts from solid blocks rather than having them cast first.

A good analogy in carpentry terms would be you starting with a 4x4 to make 1/4" dividers for a kitchen drawer.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-26-2010 at 12:16pm
I downloaded the file from 2001.com I think. It is a *.ai (Adobe Illustrator) file. I also have it as a PDF that I can email to you. It prints out the correct size (you need a plotter or A2 capable printer) then you can use it as a template to make the switch panel.

I made mine out of 4.5mm polycarbonate.

If you're going through hell, keep going

89 Ski

<a href="http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5685" ta
Bremsen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bremsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-26-2010 at 3:30pm
Yooper, I (well, my brother and I) created the original file that lewy is referring to. I have it in pdf and ai. I'll have to find it though, been a while since I used it (if lewy has the pdf, he can just email it). I prefer the pdf since it cannot be modified. I only ask that its for personal use only and not for commercial use (ie, don't make a bunch and start selling for a profit). I took the file to a local acrylic shop and had it made out of 3/16 black plex. They had no problem using the pdf file.
Swatkinz View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Swatkinz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-26-2010 at 3:45pm
Yooper, I was told at the White Lake Gathering this weekend that White Lake Marine currently had the replacement panels for the 88SN.   Not sure if the same panels were used b/w 87 and 88, but thought I'd throw it out there anyway. Maybe they're the same. If not, maybe WL has them for the 87 too?
Steve
2011 Sport/Air 200
Excalibur 343
2017 Boatmate Tandem Axle Trailer

Former CC owner (77, 80, 95, 88, all SNs)

Former Malibu owner (07, 09)
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-26-2010 at 4:05pm
They have the 88 dash but not the 87. It is the same. Shape but has a different layout.
For thousands of years men have felt the irresistible urge to go to sea, and many of them died. Things got better after they invented boats.
1987 Ski Nautique

Bremsen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bremsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-26-2010 at 5:12pm
">88-89 Dash Panel

For reference, I think the custom one cost me about $100.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YooperSully Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-26-2010 at 7:14pm
Nice to come back from work and see good news on this issue. Bremsen, my intentions were to make this for my personal use. Didn't really think they'd fly here since everyone here is pretty historically correct. I was just thinking of a solution that would be durable and spruce up my dash a little. I really wanted to order one from whitelake until I seen the price. I thought that with the file I'd be able to get one punched out for free. I doubt two or more would be free, just looking to use up a favor. But if it turned out as sweet as I dream it to be than I could see a demand for such a part. How would that be dealt with? I'm not looking for any profit, but favors and materials from the shop don't come for free. And I'm not to good at telling people no, to something that myself, I am passionate for. My most outlandish thought was to see what size sheets they have and purchase a sheet and make as many as I can at once and be done and out of their hair. But I'd be happy with some scrap and one for myself. Also if I'm out of favors up there I'd have to pay for mine, so I figured that with the file it would be less on the dash and more for other stuff. I'd also have them cut out for my stereo and I doubt that others would want this.
87' 2001
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-27-2010 at 2:56am
Roger, Dont feel any obligation to say yes to me. I was just hoping to luck into an inexpensive dash replacement without re-inventing the wheel myself. If Ryan ok'd making a few of these I would say take yours for free and let the cost be split over the remainders. I would also like the stereo cut out so I could get my glove box back. My boat spent time uncovered in the arizona sun and needs some dash help. On the bright side it was not wood grain. Lots of us are looking for the same things on these older boats. My feelings are help if you want and say no if you dont. If I start with nothing, and gain nothing, what have I lost? NOTHING.
1987 Ski Nautique

Bremsen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bremsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-27-2010 at 1:57pm
Yooper, please don't take it the wrong way. If you have a few guys go in together to make a handful and distribute the cost across 4-5, I don't have a problem with that either. I just don't want someone using my file to go into production (like the decals, labels, etc on here).

The good thing about the *.ai file is that you can custom make it to your specs. I left the breaker side mostly original (except changing ACC 1 to 'Stereo') and as you can see in the picture, re-configured the other side to fit the remote, ignition, etc.

*note, pic was my first dash which the company screwed up and made it out of 1/8 and not 3/8 (hence the wavy look).

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YooperSully Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-27-2010 at 6:12pm
Sounds good Bremsen, thanks. When you can, will you email me the file? rogeresullivan@yahoo.com
87' 2001
Jtonor1 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jtonor1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-28-2010 at 2:19am
sent you an e-mail with a few files of a panel I drew up last year I tried to get keith to put them up in the reference section but no luck. I cut my panel out on a laser cutter and it turned out really nice till I tried to squeeze the radio in a cracked it so I'm going to make another, this time i think I'm going to use teak.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YooperSully Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-28-2010 at 10:37am
Thanks, Lou
87' 2001
Bremsen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bremsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-30-2010 at 3:45pm
Roger,
I'll have to locate the file. Had a HD crash since I used it so I'll have to so some searching through my backup. Should have it to you by the end of the weekend if thats OK.

-Ryan
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic